I don't think I like the modern world

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:14 am

I bought tickets recently to see Hamilton in April. I've now discovered that there's no way to get printable tickets. I use a flip phone, so that means I'll need to bring my iPad into the theater in order to actually use the tickets I bought.

I'm incredulous that they're doing this. I understand making electronic tickets the primary option, but it boggles my mind that they're not allowing me to use printable tickets. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

triviawayne

Re: I don't think I like the modern world

#2 Post by triviawayne » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:38 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:14 am
I bought tickets recently to see Hamilton in April. I've now discovered that there's no way to get printable tickets. I use a flip phone, so that means I'll need to bring my iPad into the theater in order to actually use the tickets I bought.

I'm incredulous that they're doing this. I understand making electronic tickets the primary option, but it boggles my mind that they're not allowing me to use printable tickets. --Bob
it's a QR code, just print that out from your ipad or elsewhere before you go to the show. I always print mine out just in case something happens to my phone or if there is a coverage issue. I also take a screenshot of the QR code for the same reasons such as the app is down or some other electronic nonsense at an inopportune moment.

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:45 am

There are alternatives. Call the box office and discuss with them. I bought tix for something recently for a 14-year-old who does not have a smartphone, and it all worked out.

Hamilton is worth the hassle.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:46 am

They are doing it to cut down on scalping, and it is working.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:23 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Tickets to the college football championship a couple of years ago here in Atlanta were only available through a smartphone app.

But Bob's post made me feel a lot better. I thought that Mrs. SSS and I were the only people around who still used flip phones.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#6 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:46 am

Bob78164 wrote:

Electrons are much more easily recycled than bits of printed paper. What, are you trying to destroy the planet? You will be demanding to use straws next.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

kroxquo

#7 Post by kroxquo » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:23 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Tickets to the college football championship a couple of years ago here in Atlanta were only available through a smartphone app.

But Bob's post made me feel a lot better. I thought that Mrs. SSS and I were the only people around who still used flip phones.
I still rely on my good old flip phone, despite the heckling I get from my high school students whenever they see it.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:48 am

kroxquo wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:23 am
silverscreenselect wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:23 am
Bob78164 wrote:

I still rely on my good old flip phone, despite the heckling I get from my high school students whenever they see it.

Mine's a flip. I've despised smartphones and the zombies they've made out of people since the days when I'd tease Kiki about her Raspberry...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

This made me chuckle. Ranger Jeff would be happy with a flip phone. SOMETHING THAT MAKES CALLS. Heh. We both have S10s and he actually can text message unaided and google and all that advanced stuff...
Well, then

SpacemanSpiff

#10 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:50 pm

Add me to the flip phone (aka "dumbphone") set.

I do carry a smartphone, but it's company issued and my boss makes me. I still prefer to use my Canon for pix, the flip for phone calls and texts. I have had to use it for a couple of sporting events that required the electronic tickets; as noted before, it helps minimize scalping -- or more accurately, scamming. I've hear more than one story of the paper print-out tickets being scalped more than once, and the person who isn't the first in the door is royally rooked.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

triviawayne

#11 Post by triviawayne » Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:22 pm

only about 70% of US adults own a smart phone. Seems like everyone has one, but 70% of adults is all.

ghostjmf

#12 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:59 pm

I use my flip phone. Think this is the 3rd. Takes better pictures than my Alcatel tablet.

T-Mobile will sell me a 5-G flip phone when I want it.

Which I should do before this dies. Current one has pics on a chip, with previous they were on the phone's built-in memory & T-Mobile could not retrieve them.

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:41 pm

triviawayne wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:22 pm
only about 70% of US adults own a smart phone. Seems like everyone has one, but 70% of adults is all.
I guess they don't want a phone smarter than they are. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#14 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:16 am

And to make it worse, I'm still waiting for my flying car, damn it.

Now get off my lawn. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#15 Post by Estonut » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:44 am

Bob78164 wrote:

I'm incredulous that they're doing this. I understand making electronic tickets the primary option, but it boggles my mind that they're not allowing me to use printable tickets.
Did you buy from the official Hamilton (Touring)/Hollywood Pantages page on Ticketmaster?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

SpacemanSpiff

#16 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:23 am

BTW, I recall one of the football games I went to that required the e-tickets had an option (for a fee, of course) of getting a "souvenir ticket" of the game. You couldn't get in with it, but I suppose it was good for your scrapbook.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell