Rather Crude Linguistic Question

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Rather Crude Linguistic Question

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:38 pm

Somehow, all this political talk made me think of this.

Why is it, when someone goes to the bathroom, they say "I'm going to take a (shit, crap, dump, or similar word)"? They aren't going to take anything; they're going to leave something behind.

Similarly, when someone doesn't care about something, they say "I don't give a shit." That's not true either; if they actually didn't give a shit, they wouldn't survive for very long before their intestines got very uncomfortable.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

triviawayne

Re: Rather Crude Linguistic Question

#2 Post by triviawayne » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:31 am

George Carlin covered this. I think it was his What Am I Doing in New Jersey show

"I'm going to take a shit"

"don't take one of mine. i've only got three left and the weekend is coming up."

"so go do it and don't describe it when you come back"

Bob Juch

Re: Rather Crude Linguistic Question

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:29 am

triviawayne wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:31 am
George Carlin covered this. I think it was his What Am I Doing in New Jersey show

"I'm going to take a shit"

"don't take one of mine. i've only got three left and the weekend is coming up."

"so go do it and don't describe it when you come back"
I started listening to that album. He talks about the 225 criminals in the Regan administration. I wish he was still with us to take on trump.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.