A question that I don't want to cause trouble

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
christie1111
11:11

A question that I don't want to cause trouble

#1 Post by christie1111 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:13 pm

but I seriously do not know where else to ask. Okay, it probably is google-able if you phrased it right, but.

Let's say, hypothetically, that Trump is impeached. Not the part where he has to go on trial and ousted from office but the part where they say he has, indeed, committed the 2 items that have been brought forward in the articles of impeachment.

Could he legally still run for re-election in 2020? Not whether he should or not but would he legally be permitted.

I know it is a slim chance that this won't degrade to a bunch of name calling by the usual suspects, but one can hope.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: A question that I don't want to cause trouble

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:15 pm

christie1111 wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:13 pm
but I seriously do not know where else to ask. Okay, it probably is google-able if you phrased it right, but.

Let's say, hypothetically, that Trump is impeached. Not the part where he has to go on trial and ousted from office but the part where they say he has, indeed, committed the 2 items that have been brought forward in the articles of impeachment.

Could he legally still run for re-election in 2020? Not whether he should or not but would he legally be permitted.

I know it is a slim chance that this won't degrade to a bunch of name calling by the usual suspects, but one can hope.
The Senate is empowered to do two things when they vote on impeachment. One is to remove the impeached official from office. The second is to disqualify the impeached official from holding future office. Those would be two separate votes.

So the answer to your question is, that depends on what the Senate does. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

christie1111
11:11

#3 Post by christie1111 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Thanks!

Just the answer I wanted so that I could understand better.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

bazodee

#4 Post by bazodee » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:47 pm

There's an interesting episode about this. In the late 1980s, the House impeached (vote was 413-3) and in 1989 the Senate convicted a federal judge, Alcee Hastings, of eight of the eleven articles presented. The charges were bribery related. But the Senate chose not to disqualify him from holding future office.

A couple years later in 1992, Hastings runs and wins a seat in the House, representing the West Palm/Fort Lauderdale region of Florida. He holds that office to this day.(Florida-23)

I wonder what he thinks about when he casts an impeachment vote!