The Bored is back

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tubadave
Official Bored Breaker/Fixer

The Bored is back

#1 Post by tubadave » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:49 am

Hello everyone.

So my web host decided that the middle of the day on Thursday was a good time for some server upgrades. This process involved updating/removing some older stuff that the (admittedly out of date) code for the Bored needed. So, it broke, and once I realized what was happening, it was upgrade time. For the first time in several years a little while......the Bored is running the most current version of the phpBB code, and therefore should not break again for at least a little while. :mrgreen:

The main reason I put off upgrades for so long was due to compatibility issues. Any upgrade past where we were was going to break all of the themes, and several other modifications I had made over time. But, since everything was now broken until I upgraded, there was no longer a choice. Pretty much all of the old themes are gone, other than the software's default theme (prosilver) and a variant of the old-school default theme (subsilver2, named "AllanStyle-SUBSILVER" on here). The latter is set as the Bored-wide default, and all of your profiles were moved to it. I sincerely apologize at the loss of your favorite theme. However, I have gone out and found a bunch of new ones and made them available to use. If you really want to see something that hurts your eyes, I recommend the 1996 theme. There are more themes available at this location.....feel free to look around and suggest one for me to upload (preferably compatible with phpBB 3.2.0 or higher.)

Please be aware that spoiler tags are NOT working at this time. That includes all previous posts where they were used. I'm going to have to figure out how to fix them, but it's already quite late as I type this, and I have work in the morning. I'll do my best to look at them this weekend. (Incidentally, the "youtube" button appears to be working just fine.)

IMPORTANT: If you find anything broken, or something that just doesn't seem to be right, please REPLY IN THIS THREAD and let me know. This thread is pinned to the top of the page until roughly the end of the year, so don't hesitate to point something out if you see it.

tubadave
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: The Bored is back

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:21 am

I didn't even first experience the internet until 1997. God, if that's what 1996 was like, I'm glad I got started late!

Thanks for maintaining the Bored, Dave! I was hoping someone had contacted you about whatever issue was causing the General Error this afternoon, and when I saw the message that "The Bored will be back shortly" when I woke up tonight, I knew that was the case...

One of the best things about subsilver was that it put the avatars on the LEFT SIDE, where they belong! Looks like I'm changing to Simplicity Blue now....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:23 am

Thanks for all the hard work I'm sure you put into this.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 am

Dave! One thing you may wish to look into is setting up security as tight as it was prior to this update. After only a smattering of successful, but never activated, registrations in the past couple years.... there have been four registrations just since the Bored went back up. All from foreign IP's, and one of which did manage to activate their account and post a spam ad. I don't want SSS to naively order a bunch of "pharmaceuticals" from Belize again....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 am

Response time for the Bored is pretty slow. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

christie1111
11:11

#6 Post by christie1111 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks Dave!

The new format is odd but I can't be bothered to go find a new one and don't even care. :-)

I will get used to it.

Happy Holidays!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:18 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 am

I'll second this, though this already started happening a day before the Bored went down...

I also took the temporary step of requiring all new registrations to have Admin approval to stop the Spam until Dave can figure out why they're getting through now...

lb13

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:58 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:18 am
Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:20 am

I'll second this, though this already started happening a day before the Bored went down...

I also took the temporary step of requiring all new registrations to have Admin approval to stop the Spam until Dave can figure out why they're getting through now...

lb13
Now I'm getting better response times -- a second or two rather than 20-30 seconds. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:40 pm

Tuba!!! Thanks! How are ya?
Well, then

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:26 pm

I wish the pages with the themes showed the page with posts instead of just the index, but I'd like to see what the Black one looks like.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#11 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:33 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:26 pm
I wish the pages with the themes showed the page with posts instead of just the index, but I'd like to see what the Black one looks like.
I don't understand. I changed to flat green, but the other showed posts, too. ?
Well, then

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:26 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:33 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
I don't understand. I changed to flat green, but the other showed posts, too. ?
I mean this, with the samples of themes: https://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/styl ... _styles-12
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:55 pm

Thanks, Dave!

I was afraid I broke The Bored - I wrote about Jason, then came to play the game and no Bored.

:D :D :D :D

Estonut
Evil Genius

#14 Post by Estonut » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:05 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Here you go, computer genius. Do you need instructions, too?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:06 am

Estonut wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:05 am
Bob Juch wrote:
Thanks, I would like to see Black as an optional theme here.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:15 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:06 am
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
It IS an option here. They've hidden it under the theme name "Black." :roll:
Groucho Marx

tubadave

#17 Post by tubadave » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:22 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:28 am
Dave! One thing you may wish to look into is setting up security as tight as it was prior to this update. After only a smattering of successful, but never activated, registrations in the past couple years.... there have been four registrations just since the Bored went back up. All from foreign IP's, and one of which did manage to activate their account and post a spam ad. I don't want SSS to naively order a bunch of "pharmaceuticals" from Belize again....

lb13
Done. The previous security measures are back in place, and I deleted all the new registrations that had come in since Thursday.
Also, check this out......
The spoiler tags are working again!
The new spoiler button looks kind of like an eye with a slash mark through it, and it's just to the left of the "strike" and "youtube" buttons. Move your mouse over top of it, and you can see the usage instructions. Be advised that you can click on the button at the far right of the line, or just click anywhere on that line to reveal or hide the hidden text.

Can't do much about the page speed.....that's entirely dependent on the internet, and the web host. I've had little to no problem with speed so far, so that was likely an aberration.

Still tweaking in the background, and may look for a few new things to add. Maybe a more modern set of smilies to use when posting, since the ones we have on here are pretty old? 8)

tubadave
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." -- Dave Barry

tubadave

#18 Post by tubadave » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:58 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:40 pm
Tuba!!! Thanks! How are ya?
Busy. Working a lot. The usual. But pretty good overall.

I lurk from time to time, make sure everything is working, see how folks are doing. I really should post more often, I guess. :roll:

Bob Juch

#19 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:29 am

Estonut wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:15 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Did you consider that TubaDave might have added that thanks to my request?

tubadave

#20 Post by tubadave » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:29 am
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
It was already in there. :wink:

Estonut
Evil Genius

#21 Post by Estonut » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:32 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Since I had already been using it in the post that showed you the theme-sampling drop-down (Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:26 pm) and you didn't mention wanting it as an optional theme here until (Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:05 am), no, I did not. I assumed you were just being you. It appears I was correct.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#22 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Estonut wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:32 pm
Bob Juch wrote:
Estonut wrote:
Since I had already been using it in the post that showed you the theme-sampling drop-down (Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:26 pm) and you didn't mention wanting it as an optional theme here until (Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:05 am), no, I did not. I assumed you were just being you. It appears I was correct.
So impeach me.