2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
Vandal
Director of Promos
Posts: 4238
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Literary Circles
Contact:

2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#1 Post by Vandal » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:56 am

Jeter might make it. Anyone else?


Image
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Coming in 2020: The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark

Working on:
Scout's Honor (follow on to The Secret at Haney Field)

Recently finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

User avatar
kroxquo
Posts: 2126
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:24 pm
Location: On the Road to Kingdom Come
Contact:

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#2 Post by kroxquo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:39 pm

I think Jeter makes it. Schilling and Walker have shots at it. Voters are getting more acceptable on Bonds and Clemens so I think they have outside shots.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

User avatar
littlebeast13
Dumbass
Posts: 30088
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Contact:

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#3 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:38 pm

Wait for it....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

User avatar
Estonut
Evil Genius
Posts: 9752
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#4 Post by Estonut » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:28 am

I was surprised to see Chone Figgins on the list. Don't get me wrong, I loved watching him with the Angels for years, and he had some outstanding moments/records with them, but Hall of Fame? Did he go on to massive success elsewhere after leaving the Angels?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 18811
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:27 am

Estonut wrote:I was surprised to see Chone Figgins on the list. Don't get me wrong, I loved watching him with the Angels for years, and he had some outstanding moments/records with them, but Hall of Fame? Did he go on to massive success elsewhere after leaving the Angels?
I thought that pretty much anyone who completed 10 years of service found themselves on the ballot, but it turns out there's a six-member screening committee. It takes two votes from that committee to get onto the ballot in the first place. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
littlebeast13
Dumbass
Posts: 30088
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Contact:

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:24 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:I was surprised to see Chone Figgins on the list. Don't get me wrong, I loved watching him with the Angels for years, and he had some outstanding moments/records with them, but Hall of Fame? Did he go on to massive success elsewhere after leaving the Angels?
I thought that pretty much anyone who completed 10 years of service found themselves on the ballot, but it turns out there's a six-member screening committee. It takes two votes from that committee to get onto the ballot in the first place. --Bob

Supposedly, the committee took a lot of grief over some glaring omissions from the ballot in recent years (namely Javier Vazquez, who via advanced stats, is considered a borderline HoF candidate)... and thus have been nominating many more players who met the ten season rule than in past ballots so nobody's favorites get overlooked again...

Jose Valverde's inclusion on the list makes me feel really old, and anyone who's been in the BBBL will know why...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17019
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:45 am

littlebeast13 wrote: Supposedly, the committee took a lot of grief over some glaring omissions from the ballot in recent years (namely Javier Vazquez, who via advanced stats, is considered a borderline HoF candidate)... and thus have been nominating many more players who met the ten season rule than in past ballots so nobody's favorites get overlooked again...
Players must be named on at least 5% of the ballots to be included in the following year, so there are a lot of one-and-dones, and the ballot doesn't get too unwieldy.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
littlebeast13
Dumbass
Posts: 30088
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Contact:

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#8 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:44 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote: Supposedly, the committee took a lot of grief over some glaring omissions from the ballot in recent years (namely Javier Vazquez, who via advanced stats, is considered a borderline HoF candidate)... and thus have been nominating many more players who met the ten season rule than in past ballots so nobody's favorites get overlooked again...
Players must be named on at least 5% of the ballots to be included in the following year, so there are a lot of one-and-dones, and the ballot doesn't get too unwieldy.

I was referring to just getting on the ballot the first time. The ballot's become more and more a who's who of players who retired five seasons ago than it used to be...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

User avatar
T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator
Posts: 6382
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: State of Confusion

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#9 Post by T_Bone0806 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:22 am

littlebeast13 wrote:.........(namely Javier Vazquez, who via advanced stats, is considered a borderline HoF candidate)......

lb13

We Yankee fans have a rather....ummmm...dissenting viewpoint on that particular notion... :roll:
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

User avatar
Vandal
Director of Promos
Posts: 4238
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Literary Circles
Contact:

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#10 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:21 am

kroxquo wrote:I think Jeter makes it. Schilling and Walker have shots at it. Voters are getting more acceptable on Bonds and Clemens so I think they have outside shots.

Jeter will likely get in unanimously (and rightly so), since the precedent has been set. I'm sure we'll see more unanimous votes in the future because gone are the "old guard" baseball writers who would never let anyone get in unanimously because, "hey, Ted Williams (or Mickey Mantle or--insert great player from past) never got in unanimously!"
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Coming in 2020: The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark

Working on:
Scout's Honor (follow on to The Secret at Haney Field)

Recently finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17019
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 pm

Vandal wrote:
kroxquo wrote:I think Jeter makes it. Schilling and Walker have shots at it. Voters are getting more acceptable on Bonds and Clemens so I think they have outside shots.

Jeter will likely get in unanimously (and rightly so), since the precedent has been set. I'm sure we'll see more unanimous votes in the future because gone are the "old guard" baseball writers who would never let anyone get in unanimously because, "hey, Ted Williams (or Mickey Mantle or--insert great player from past) never got in unanimously!"
Jeter is in, but I don't think it will be unanimous. There's going to be some writers who feel that a unanimous selection requires some higher standard than an "ordinary" induction, and Jeter doesn't quite fit that criteria the way Rivera did.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Vandal
Director of Promos
Posts: 4238
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:42 pm
Location: Literary Circles
Contact:

Re: 2020 Baseball Hall of Fame ballots are out

#12 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:17 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Vandal wrote:
kroxquo wrote:I think Jeter makes it. Schilling and Walker have shots at it. Voters are getting more acceptable on Bonds and Clemens so I think they have outside shots.

Jeter will likely get in unanimously (and rightly so), since the precedent has been set. I'm sure we'll see more unanimous votes in the future because gone are the "old guard" baseball writers who would never let anyone get in unanimously because, "hey, Ted Williams (or Mickey Mantle or--insert great player from past) never got in unanimously!"
Jeter is in, but I don't think it will be unanimous. There's going to be some writers who feel that a unanimous selection requires some higher standard than an "ordinary" induction, and Jeter doesn't quite fit that criteria the way Rivera did.
Rivera has the numbers. Jeter has the legend.

Ask any Yankees fan (of which I am not one).
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Coming in 2020: The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark

Working on:
Scout's Honor (follow on to The Secret at Haney Field)

Recently finished:
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Post Reply