HBO Max Lives Up to Its Name

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

HBO Max Lives Up to Its Name

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:15 am

Warner released details of its new HBO Max service yesterday and I think it's well placed as a competitor to Disney and Netflix. The cost is pricy, $15 a month, BUT, if you already have HBO (or some AT&T packages, you can get it for free). It includes all the current HBO programming, already announced HBO series, and archived content (Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc.) plus:

-- The Warner library of films, including lots of classics (Casablanca, Wizard of Oz), TCM Movies, and the Criterion Collection (I know Melly will enjoy this)
--The Looney Tunes and Sesame Street libraries plus new animated Looney Tunes, Gremlins, Yogi Bear, Sesame Street, and other series
--Exclusive streaming on shows like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, South Park, and The West Wing,
--The DC Comic library, including all the Superman and Batman movies, Joker, and several new superhero series
--A musical series based on Grease; new series based on Dune and a Game of Thrones prequel; a sci fi series produced and directed in part by Ridley Scott;

For those interested, USA Today compares and rates the streaming services (HBO Max not included, nor is NBC/Universal's Peacock service, also coming in 2020)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertai ... 484448001/
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

Re: HBO Max Lives Up to Its Name

#2 Post by BackInTex » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:34 am

"Yeah, we cut the cord to cable. Saves us $100 month. Now I only pay for Netflix ($15), Disney ($20), YouTube ($20), HBO Max ($15), Hulu ($15)....... Plus, if there is a sports event I want to see I just go to Buffalo Wild Wings (costing $75-100 in food and drink)."

We've saved ourselves into bankruptcy. :D

Note: This is not me. I still have cable. Well, DirectTV...when its not raining. 3 more months.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:39 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Warner released details of its new HBO Max service yesterday and I think it's well placed as a competitor to Disney and Netflix. The cost is pricy, $15 a month, BUT, if you already have HBO (or some AT&T packages, you can get it for free). It includes all the current HBO programming, already announced HBO series, and archived content (Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc.) plus:

-- The Warner library of films, including lots of classics (Casablanca, Wizard of Oz), TCM Movies, and the Criterion Collection (I know Melly will enjoy this)
--The Looney Tunes and Sesame Street libraries plus new animated Looney Tunes, Gremlins, Yogi Bear, Sesame Street, and other series
--Exclusive streaming on shows like Friends, The Big Bang Theory, South Park, and The West Wing,
--The DC Comic library, including all the Superman and Batman movies, Joker, and several new superhero series
--A musical series based on Grease; new series based on Dune and a Game of Thrones prequel; a sci fi series produced and directed in part by Ridley Scott;

For those interested, USA Today compares and rates the streaming services (HBO Max not included, nor is NBC/Universal's Peacock service, also coming in 2020)

So since HBO is already part of my cable package, I won’t need to pay extra for Max? —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

triviawayne

#4 Post by triviawayne » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:14 pm

BackInTex wrote:"Yeah, we cut the cord to cable. Saves us $100 month. Now I only pay for Netflix ($15), Disney ($20), YouTube ($20), HBO Max ($15), Hulu ($15)....... Plus, if there is a sports event I want to see I just go to Buffalo Wild Wings (costing $75-100 in food and drink)."

We've saved ourselves into bankruptcy. :D

Note: This is not me. I still have cable. Well, DirectTV...when its not raining. 3 more months.

I've been tooting this horn for more than 30 years (starting in a report in my high school broadcasting class) when people first said they wanted ala carte programming from their cable company

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Warner released details of its new HBO Max service yesterday and I think it's well placed as a competitor to Disney and Netflix. The cost is pricy, $15 a month, BUT, if you already have HBO (or some AT&T packages, you can get it for free). It includes all the current HBO programming, already announced HBO series, and archived content (Sopranos, Game of Thrones, etc.) plus:

So since HBO is already part of my cable package, I won’t need to pay extra for Max? —Bob
I wouldn't be too sure about that. The website says that if you currently subscribe to HBO NOW, you can get HBO Max "at launch for no extra cost" (which means there will be extra cost down the road). Nothing about regular subscribers.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:53 pm

earendel wrote: The website says that if you currently subscribe to HBO NOW, you can get HBO Max "at launch for no extra cost" (which means there will be extra cost down the road). Nothing about regular subscribers.
If you have HBO through your cable or satellite service, you also have access to HBO Go, which allows you to stream HBO programming at no extra charge (so you can catch the latest episode of Game of Thrones any time after it first airs). That's what's probably going to be upgraded in May to add all the rest of the programming. HBO Now is for people who don't have cable or satellite HBO and watch it streaming exclusively. My guess is that after May, both HBO Go and HBO Now will disappear to be replaced by HBO Max. I think the "at launch" means a seamless rollover rather than having to discontinue one service and pick up the other. Of course, Disney's prices could eventually go up, as can anybody's.

I'm curious to see what's going to happen for people like me who get HBO currently through Hulu, Amazon Prime, Roku, or some similar provider. I'm guessing I'll have to subscribe directly to HBO and just cut out the third party provider (which wouldn't bother me). I'm planning to pick up the Disney bundle, which has Disney Plus, Hulu, and ESPN Plus for $12.99 a month.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:24 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
earendel wrote: The website says that if you currently subscribe to HBO NOW, you can get HBO Max "at launch for no extra cost" (which means there will be extra cost down the road). Nothing about regular subscribers.
If you have HBO through your cable or satellite service, you also have access to HBO Go, which allows you to stream HBO programming at no extra charge (so you can catch the latest episode of Game of Thrones any time after it first airs). That's what's probably going to be upgraded in May to add all the rest of the programming. HBO Now is for people who don't have cable or satellite HBO and watch it streaming exclusively. My guess is that after May, both HBO Go and HBO Now will disappear to be replaced by HBO Max. I think the "at launch" means a seamless rollover rather than having to discontinue one service and pick up the other. Of course, Disney's prices could eventually go up, as can anybody's.

I'm curious to see what's going to happen for people like me who get HBO currently through Hulu, Amazon Prime, Roku, or some similar provider. I'm guessing I'll have to subscribe directly to HBO and just cut out the third party provider (which wouldn't bother me). I'm planning to pick up the Disney bundle, which has Disney Plus, Hulu, and ESPN Plus for $12.99 a month.
This is from their website:
HBO NOW subscribers who are billed directly through HBO will also get access to WarnerMedia's new offering, HBO Max, at launch for no extra cost.

Offer available only to new and existing HBO NOW subscribers who subscribe through hbonow.com and are billed by HBO. Offer not currently available to HBO subscribers that obtain their subscriptions through third-party providers that are authorized to distribute the HBO NOW service.
I'm paying $204 per month for my cable and Internet. (The women here like movies.) We also have Hulu and Amazon Prime. I already have more I'd like to watch than I have time for.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
I'm paying $204 per month for my cable and Internet. (The women here like movies.) We also have Hulu and Amazon Prime. I already have more I'd like to watch than I have time for.
If Bruce Springsteen were writing the lyrics to that song today, he'd have to say "1,057 channels and nothing's on."