Things I'm not very good at: #23

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Things I'm not very good at: #23

#1 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:41 am

Not necessarily #23 in priority: Comforting others when they need it

I've known for a long time I'm not very good at it. I've been thinking about it a lot today as I should have been doing some comforting last night for a family member but was not successful. Looking back I didn't even try.

My problem (self diagnosis) is rather than doing the comforting I immediately look to understand the cause of the dismay, the factors, the actions taken (or not), that created the situation where the person is down and needs comforting. Along with root cause analysis I'm also considering solutions and alternatives to resolve the situation. I know there is a time for those two things, but not initially when the person is down. Some may see it as a lack of empathy. I don't think it is. I just want to help fix the situation, now.

I'm a work in progress.

Others I've seen, who are not so good at the comforting thing are more along the "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps, man!" or "You've got no reason to be down, look at the folks in the Sudan!" types. That's not me. I don't try to pick someone up by showing them that their current situation is not that bad compared to others.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Things I'm not very good at: #23

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:Not necessarily #23 in priority: Comforting others when they need it

I've known for a long time I'm not very good at it. I've been thinking about it a lot today as I should have been doing some comforting last night for a family member but was not successful. Looking back I didn't even try.

My problem (self diagnosis) is rather than doing the comforting I immediately look to understand the cause of the dismay, the factors, the actions taken (or not), that created the situation where the person is down and needs comforting. Along with root cause analysis I'm also considering solutions and alternatives to resolve the situation. I know there is a time for those two things, but not initially when the person is down. Some may see it as a lack of empathy. I don't think it is. I just want to help fix the situation, now.

I'm a work in progress.

Others I've seen, who are not so good at the comforting thing are more along the "Pull yourself up by the bootstraps, man!" or "You've got no reason to be down, look at the folks in the Sudan!" types. That's not me. I don't try to pick someone up by showing them that their current situation is not that bad compared to others.
I do think it's an empathy gap, albeit one that's fixable with self-awareness and practice. I myself am a problem-solver both by profession and temperament, so when the shit hits the fan in my own life I turn immediately to a search for solutions. It took me a long time to understand, deep in my gut, that the way some people deal with their initial feelings means that they simply aren't yet ready to search for solutions. The learning process was painful for me, as well as for those around me. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:08 pm

Sorry about whatever the situation is. It is true, sometimes people don't want advice, just a "I'm sorry. I know you feel bad, We love you." Some of us have had the psychiatrist shingles out for friends in our younger years,
then realized all they wanted was an ear. I think as we age we get more results focused.
Watching grandbabes has helped me realize a hug and smooches are enough sometimes.
Well, then

a1mamacat

#4 Post by a1mamacat » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:32 pm

I think this is one of those "gender" things that we all try to not acknowledge.

Inherently, men are 'fixers'. Women are consolers. Not always, but in the long run.

For example, a bad work situation. Men, mostly, offer advise on how to proceed with addressing the situation, making moves to find another job, or other active actions. Women will, mostly, sit and agree with the feelings about the situation, support the other's viewpoint, or other emotional support, and offer advice if asked.

Not always, but mostly

In this situation, if you know you are a 'fixer', step back a bit, and wait for a request for advice. Simply tell the person that you are sorry they are going through this, and that you are there for them. If they then ask,'what would you do", then you can go to town.
Lover of Soft Animals and Fine Art
1st annual international BBBL Champeeeeen!

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#5 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:01 pm

a1mamacat wrote:I think this is one of those "gender" things that we all try to not acknowledge.

Inherently, men are 'fixers'. Women are consolers. Not always, but in the long run.

For example, a bad work situation. Men, mostly, offer advise on how to proceed with addressing the situation, making moves to find another job, or other active actions. Women will, mostly, sit and agree with the feelings about the situation, support the other's viewpoint, or other emotional support, and offer advice if asked.

Not always, but mostly

In this situation, if you know you are a 'fixer', step back a bit, and wait for a request for advice. Simply tell the person that you are sorry they are going through this, and that you are there for them. If they then ask,'what would you do", then you can go to town.
I almost included the gender thing. I think you're right, but mostly with younger sorts. I do think I became more "so what can we do to fix this" the older I got, maybe because of work or kids getting older. I dunno.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:28 pm

BackInTex wrote:Not necessarily #23 in priority: Comforting others when they need it

I'm a work in progress.

You're an INTP. Most people in tech are. If you were something else you might have a different career.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Bob Juch wrote: You're an INTP. Most people in tech are. If you were something else you might have a different career.
Close, always came out ENTP
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:17 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: You're an INTP. Most people in tech are. If you were something else you might have a different career.

I just wrapped up two days of CCE (continuing clerk education) classes, where we were color-coded (this decade's Myers-Briggs). I'm very green. I think you're probably green, as well, or maybe gold. I actually got a lot more out of it this go-round, and plan to have my office color-coded, then provide mandatory name tags that are colored with their corresponding colors as a visual reminder of how best to communicate with them.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:22 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

I just wrapped up two days of CCE (continuing clerk education) classes, where we were color-coded (this decade's Myers-Briggs). I'm very green. I think you're probably green, as well, or maybe gold. I actually got a lot more out of it this go-round, and plan to have my office color-coded, then provide mandatory name tags that are colored with their corresponding colors as a visual reminder of how best to communicate with them.

snort
Well, then

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:32 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

snort
You are so not blue.
:lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:49 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Which is what I am.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:29 am

a1mamacat wrote:I think this is one of those "gender" things that we all try to not acknowledge.

Not always, but mostly

This is very difficult for both genders. I took a mediation seminar about a million years ago, and one of the parts was about not trying to fix the problem the person is telling you about. They paired us up, and I launched into what a tough time I was having and how tired I was because I was working full time, going to class, keeping up with homework, and housesitting a friend's pets and plants while she was out of town. She immediately launched into a litany of "can't you do this" and "won't this work" and "try this." She did almost word for word what the seminar presenters told us not to do -- she tried to fix the problem instead of empathizing and providing a shoulder to cry on. I tried to gently point that out, and she got defensive and decamped in a huff.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller