Antenna Problems

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kroxquo

Antenna Problems

#1 Post by kroxquo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:17 am

For all my technologically inclined friends - Karen and I have dropped cable, satellite, etc. since we got a roku and rely on an antenna for local television. But in the last week or so, the antennae for both our televisions have ceased to pick up any signals. I know they are working because they both are getting one channel (not the same one interestingly). Any ideas on what the problem is? Has there been a change to over-the-air broadcasts that I don't know about? Any assistance would be appreciated.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

SpacemanSpiff

Re: Antenna Problems

#2 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:42 am

Try rescanning the channels. I've heard some scuttlebutt that some of the frequencies (albeit not the actual channel numbers) have changed of late. I recently had to do this for our local channels here in central Virginia.

https://www.overtheairdigitaltv.com/ota ... me-rescan/

bazodee

#3 Post by bazodee » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:51 am

Agreed. Re-scan your channels. Something happened to over-the-air channels here in Atlanta last week and a few of them became unavailable until I rescanned. Wish I could explain what happened...

mellytu74

#4 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:00 pm

A couple of friends - Philadelphia and Doylestown - mentioned the same complaints.

Rescanning helped one but not the other.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:35 pm

Ditto on rescanning advice.

All the stations in Boston moved early August. They sold their frequencies to cell phone companies.

They're now all UHF, & not as strong as their prior freqs.

pcmaxey

#6 Post by pcmaxey » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:09 am

bazodee wrote:Agreed. Re-scan your channels. Something happened to over-the-air channels here in Atlanta last week and a few of them became unavailable until I rescanned. Wish I could explain what happened...
Some stations have changed the frequency they use to broadcast.
The FCC is narrowing the TV broadcast spectrum to provide more channels for wireless broadband services.