Game #194: Very Supportive Actors

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

Re: Game #194: Very Supportive Actors

#51 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:14 pm

A-20 JOHN CARRADINE in Stagecoach with Thomas Mitchell (B-64. HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME )

And, assuming we do go with Best Actors/Actress (building on sss's match)

A-30. MORGAN FREEMAN in Million Dollar Baby with Hillary Swank (B-63. THE BLACK DAHLIA)
A-30. MORGAN FREEMAN in Unforgiven with Gene Hackman (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)
A-30. MORGAN FREEMAN in Driving Miss Daisy with Jessica Tandy (B-20. COCOON)

We also have The Dark Knight but I haven't seen a Heath Ledger movie yet.

mellytu74

#52 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:37 pm

I am with sss - I think we really need Best Actor/Actress to get Starman in there.

So …

A-6. WILLIAM POWELL in Mister Roberts with Jack Lemmon (B-58. THE CHINA SYNDROME)
A-6. WILLIAM POWELL in The Great Ziegfeld with Luise Rainier (B-11. THE GOOD EARTH)
A-6. WILLIAM POWELL in The Last Command with Emil Jannings (B-25. THE LAST LAUGH)

And

A-35. ALAN ALDA in California Suite with Maggie Smith (B-40. GOSFORD PARK)
A-35. ALAN ALDA in Bridge of Spies with Mark Rylance (B-29. DUNKIRK)

mellytu74

#53 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:50 pm

One of the wrong ones.

A-23. In 2018, Forbes ranked her as the highest paid African American actress on American television, and the eighth highest overall.
VIOLA DAVIS?

KERRY WASHINGTON.

A-23. KERRY WASHINGTON in Django Unchained with Christoph Waltz (?? - but there HAS to be something)
A-23. KERRY WASHINGTON in Ray with Jamie Foxx (B-43. DREAMGIRLS)
A-23. KERRY WASHINGTON in The Last King of Scotland with Forest Whittaker (B-68. BLACK PANTHER)

mellytu74

#54 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:04 pm

A-16. “Guilty! Guilty! My evil self is at that door, and I have no power to stop it!”

I just SAW this movie!!!!

WALTER PIDGEON in Forbidden Planet!

So we have:

A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in Funny Girl with Barbra Streisand (??)
A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in Mrs. Miniver with Greer Garson (B-12. MADAME CURIE) - there could be a Teresa Wright in this, too.
A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in The Bad and the Beautiful with Gloria Grahame (??)
A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in How Green Was My Valley with Donald Crisp (B-45. POLLYANNA)

mellytu74

#55 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:16 pm

A-8. DUSTIN HOFFMAN in Tootsie with Jessica Lange (B-10. ALL THAT JAZZ)

A-8. DUSTIN HOFFMAN in Kramer vs Kramer with Meryl Streep (B-62. DOUBT)

A-8. DUSTIN HOFFMAN in All the President's Men with Jason Robards (??)

More Robards:

A-25. JASON ROBARDS in A Thousand Clowns with Martin Balsam (B-50. 12 ANGRY MEN)
A-25. JASON ROBARDS in Philadelphia with Tom Hanks (B-60. SAVING MR. BANKS)

mellytu74

#56 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:27 pm

A-36. JACK NICHOLSON in Reds with Maureen Stapleton (B-20. COCOON)
A-36. JACK NICHOLSON in Terms of Endearment with Shirley MacLaine (B-44. STEEL MAGNOLIAS)

I suspect there's a Helen Hunt movie I am missing.

B-44 Steel Magnolias also gives us Olympia Dukakis (Moonstruck) and Sally Field

silverscreenselect

#57 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:52 pm

mellytu74 wrote: A-23. KERRY WASHINGTON in Django Unchained with Christoph Waltz (?? - but there HAS to be something)
Christoph Waltz was the villain in The Green Hornet.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

#58 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:52 pm

frogman042 wrote: B-26. “I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.”
Parenthood
There is our Dianne Weist movie for the third Lloyd Nolan match.

mellytu74

#59 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:16 pm

Filling in some movies:

B-2. “We can get together ... once in a while, way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, but – “
“Once in a while? Every four f**kin' years?”
“If you can't fix it, Jack, you gotta stand it.”

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (and the Heath Ledger I was looking for) Also gives us Anne Hathaway if we need her.

B-15. The author of Private Lives took the title of this play and film from a work by the author of “Ozymandias.”

BLITHE SPIRIT (our Rex Harrison movie for Theodore Bikel)

B-22. “A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack and Coke all morning. She can make you feel high full of the single greatest commodity known to man - promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gait of a beautiful girl. In her smile, in her soul, the way she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay. The supermodels, Willy? That's all they are. Bottled promise. Scenes from a brand new day. Hope dancing in stiletto heels.”

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS - Tim Hutton and Natalie Portman

B-23. This movie marked the nexus where A Nous la Liberte meets The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

Should have gotten this earlier …. Rene Clair + Agatha Christie.

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE. Gives us Barry Fitzgerald and Walter Huston (Bogie in Sierra Madre)

And wrapping it up:

B-35. In between Oscar wins, a distinguished actor found time to direct this adaptation of a classic 19th century American novella.

I am betting this is Peter Ustinov and BILLY BUDD. That gives us Ustinov and Melvyn Douglas. And Akim Tamiroff was in Topaki with Ustinov.

mellytu74

#60 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:21 pm

mellytu74 wrote:Filling in some movies:

B-2. “We can get together ... once in a while, way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, but – “
“Once in a while? Every four f**kin' years?”
“If you can't fix it, Jack, you gotta stand it.”

BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (and the Heath Ledger I was looking for) Also gives us Anne Hathaway if we need her.

B-15. The author of Private Lives took the title of this play and film from a work by the author of “Ozymandias.”

BLITHE SPIRIT (our Rex Harrison movie for Theodore Bikel)

B-22. “A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack and Coke all morning. She can make you feel high full of the single greatest commodity known to man - promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gait of a beautiful girl. In her smile, in her soul, the way she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay. The supermodels, Willy? That's all they are. Bottled promise. Scenes from a brand new day. Hope dancing in stiletto heels.”

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS - Tim Hutton and Natalie Portman

B-23. This movie marked the nexus where A Nous la Liberte meets The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

Should have gotten this earlier …. Rene Clair + Agatha Christie.

AND THEN THERE WERE NONE. Gives us Barry Fitzgerald and Walter Huston (Bogie in Sierra Madre)

And wrapping it up:

B-35. In between Oscar wins, a distinguished actor found time to direct this adaptation of a classic 19th century American novella.

I am betting this is Peter Ustinov and BILLY BUDD. That gives us Ustinov and Melvyn Douglas. And Akim Tamiroff was in Topaki with Ustinov.
AND after I wrote this I realized Akim Tamiroff was also in Anthony Adverse, which gives us Gale Sondergaard the first Best Supporting Actress.

So....

A-21. AKIM TAMIROFF in Anthony Adverse with Gale Sondergaard (B-24. THE LETTER)
A-21. AKIM TAMIROFF in Topaki with Peter Ustinov (B-35 BILLY BUDD)

mellytu74

#61 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:34 pm

B-69. Reportedly, Tennessee Williams so disliked this movie that he told people lined up outside the theatre to go home.

Could this be CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF? Gives us the Liz Taylor movie to go with Laurence Harvey and Butterfield 8

I MUST SLEEP

jarnon

#62 Post by jarnon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:15 pm

New consolidation…

Identify the 36 actors in List A and the 70 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match each actor to three or more movies, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

• 1 actor will be matched to 6 moves
• 2 actors will be matched to 5 movies
• 8 actors will be matched to 4 movies
• 25 actors will be matched to 3 movies

34 movies will be used twice, 8 movies will be used three times, and 1 movie will be used four times.

There will be no alternate answers.

LIST A: ACTORS

*A-1. SIDNEY POITIER
*A-2. ED HARRIS

A-3. In the 1960s, this actor played one role that had earlier been played by Leslie Howard and one role that would later be played by Liev Schreiber.
LAURENCE HARVEY

*A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER

A-5. On Broadway, he originated the male lead in the last musical written by Rodgers and Hammerstein.
THEODORE BIKEL

*A-6. WILLIAM POWELL
**A-7. DONALD CRISP
*A-8. DUSTIN HOFFMAN

A-9. In a 2016 biopic, this actor played a popular musician who aged into John Cusack.
PAUL DANO

A-10. “I've stood on the shoulders of life and I've never gotten down into the dirt to build, to erect a foundation of my own. I've flown too high on borrowed wings. Everything came too easy”
RALPH FIENNES

A-11. There is strong evidence that this actress’s son - a noted British stage director - was fathered, not by her husband, but by Orson Welles.

*A-12. HUMPHREY BOGART
***A-13. LLOYD NOLAN
*A-14. MARLON BRANDO

A-15. His performance in a 2014 film made him the oldest male actor ever nominated for an Oscar – a record that only lasted three years.
ROBERT DUVALL? BRUCE DERN?

*A-16. WALTER PIDGEON
*A-17. HUGH MARLOWE

A-18. “My dear girl, anyone with a head that large is welcome in my court. Someone find her some clothes, use the curtains if you must, but clothe this enormous girl.”

A-19. His screen wives have included Julie Christie, Stockard Channing, and Brenda Blethyn.
DONALD SUTHERLAND

**A-20. JOHN CARRADINE
**A-21. AKIM TAMIROFF
*A-22. CARY GRANT
*A-23. KERRY WASHINGTON

A-24. “I don't think I'm gonna say 'What the f**k' anymore. This thing has gotten way out of control.”
TOM CRUISE

**A-25. JASON ROBARDS
**A-26. ROBERT DE NIRO
*A-27. CLARK GABLE

A-28. “We've been paid to look the other way. I came here to take your money. I brought snapshots to show you so I could get your money. I can't do it; I can't take it. 'Cause if I take the money, I'm lost.”

A-29. The son of a blacklisted director, he is – at 6 feet, 6 inches – the tallest actor ever nominated for an Oscar.
JAMES CROMWELL? MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN?

**A-30. MORGAN FREEMAN

A-31. In 1966, this veteran character actor joined the cast of what would become television’s third longest-running western, but his own run on the show was not nearly as long: he died the following year.
CHARLES BICKFORD

A-32. “Point is, what's so wonderful is that every one of these flowers has a specific relationship with the insect that pollinates it. There's a certain orchid looks exactly like a certain insect so the insect is drawn to this flower, its double, its soul mate, and wants nothing more than to make love to it. And after the insect flies off, spots another soul-mate flower and makes love to it, thus pollinating it. And neither the flower nor the insect will ever understand the significance of their lovemaking. I mean, how could they know that because of their little dance the world lives?”
CHRIS COOPER

*A-33. DEBORAH KERR
*A-34. MARTIN SHEEN
**A-35. ALAN ALDA
*A-36. JACK NICHOLSON

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. The first film to win a competitive Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, it has been cited by Bob Dylan as an inspiration for “Mr. Tambouring Man” and by Kris Kristofferson as an inspiration for “Me and Bobby McGee.”
LA STRADA

*B-2. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
**B-3. BRIGHT EYES
*B-4. GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT

B-5. Arguably the most controversial movie of 2017, it received both boos and a standing ovation when it premiered at the Venice Film Festival.

B-6. “You can wipe out an entire generation, you can burn their homes to the ground and somehow they'll still find their way back. But if you destroy their history, you destroy their achievements and it's as if they never existed. That's what Hitler wants and that's exactly what we are fighting for.”
MONUMENTS MEN

*B-7. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE

B-8. “The woman's house was taken from her because she did not pay her taxes. That happens when one is not responsible.”

B-9. Despite its all-star cast, this 1984 thriller was cited by Stephen King as one of the worst films made from one of this novels.
FIRESTARTER

*B-10. ALL THAT JAZZ
B-11. THE GOOD EARTH

B-12. “No one of us can do much. Yet, each of us, perhaps, can catch some gleam of knowledge which, modest and insufficient of itself, may add to man's dream of truth. It is by these small candles in our darkness that we see before us, little by little, the dim outline of that great plan that shapes the universe. And I am among those who think that for this reason, science has great beauty and, with its great spiritual strength, will in time cleanse this world of its evils, its ignorance, its poverty, diseases, wars, and heartaches. Look for the clear light of truth. Look for unknown, new roads. Even when man's sight is keener far than now, divine wonder will never fail him. Every age has its own dreams. Leave, then, the dreams of yesterday. Youth, take the torch of knowledge and build the palace of the future.”
MADAME CURIE

*B-13. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
B-14. THE PROFESSIONALS

BLITHE SPIRIT

B-16. “The personal life is dead in Russia. History has killed it.”
DOCTOR ZHIVAGO

B-17. UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING

B-18. “You see our grandmother lives in Rosita Beach, see, and she's dying and she’d kinda like to have us be with her when she goes.”
“Otherwise she won’t go.”
IAMMMMW

B-19. FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
*B-20. COCOON
*B-21. THE GREEN HORNET

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS

*B-23. AND THEN THERE WERE NONE
*B-24. THE LETTER
B-25. THE LAST LAUGH
*B-26. PARENTHOOD

B-27. The author of the novel Psycho stated that his all-time favorite thriller was this French classic – which must surely have annoyed Hitchcock, who had failed to secure the rights to it.
DIABOLIQUE

B-28. I was praying for a cathedral.”
“No, Henry. You were praying for guidance.”
THE BISHOP'S WIFE

*B-29. DUNKIRK

B-30. “What happened last night?”
“Well, you got drunk and told my dad I'm pregnant, you revealed you have a 15 year old son named Jorge, and oh, apparently you have the hots for my mom.”

B-31. One of the stars of this period black comedy has called it "a funnier, sex driven All About Eve."

***B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE

B-33. It was the only film to win the Oscar for Best Picture without receiving a single other nomination.
GRAND HOTEL

B-34. “Hi, mum. I know you will be sound asleep. I just want to say that I'm safe. Safe and all the questions have been answered. There are no more dead ends. I found my mother, and she thanks you both for raising me. She understands that you are my family. She's happy, just knowing I'm alive. I found her, but that doesn't change who you are.”

*B-35. BILLY BUDD

B-36. “Does he look like a bitch?”
PULP FICTION

*B-37. CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE

B-38. “It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.”

**B-39. MY SON JOHN
*B-40. GOSFORD PARK

B-41. The supporting cast of this movie included Eliot Ness, Long John Silver, Baloo, and Alfalfa.
THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY

B-42. “You don't shoot cops. Even I know that. Eva knows it. The only one who doesn't seem to know is you.”
“All right, Mama. I'm not going to, I promise you. I'm not going to shoot anyone.”
“I never asked you where all this stuff came from, because I didn't want to hear you lie to me.”

B-43. The actress who won an Oscar for this movie musical shares her first name and last initial with the actress who won a Tony for the original Broadway production. (No wonder I’m constantly mixing them up!)
DREAMGIRLS

B-44. “That sanctuary looks like it's been hosed down with Pepto-Bismol.”
STEEL MAGNOLIAS

**B-45. POLLYANNA

B-46. “Hollywood, they make computers scary things. See how this reminds you of a friendly face? That the disk slot is a goofy grin? It's warm and it's playful and it needs to say ‘hello!’”
“The computer in 2001 said ‘hello’ all the time and it still scared the sh*t out of me.”
JOBS

B-47. The title characters of this 1960 Italian film were played by two French actors, two Italian actors, and a Greek actor.

B-48. “Whenever Mrs. Kissel breaks wind, we beat the dog.”

*B-49. CLEOPATRA
*B-50. 12 ANGRY MEN

B-51. The climactic moment of this 1955 biopic was the recreation of a television program that aired in February 1953.
I'LL CRY TOMORROW

B-52. PAY IT FORWARD

B-53. This 1939 film – whose cast included many actors who had fled Germany – led Hitler to ban all Warner Brothers productions.
CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY

B-54. “I watched you very carefully. Red light, stop. Green light, go. Yellow light … go very fast.”
STARMAN

*B-55. NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

B-56. “You come in here, scaring people half to death. You steal cars and motorboats, and you cause damage to private property and you threaten the whole community with grievous bodily harm and maybe murder. Now, we ain't going to take any more of that, see? We may be scared – I know I am - but maybe we ain't so scared as you think we are, see? Now you say you're going to blow up the town, huh? Well, I say, all right! You start shooting, and see what happens!”

B-57. GUNGA DIN
*B-58. THE CHINA SYNDROME
*B-59. THE MIST

B-60. “Penguins have very much upset me! Animated, dancing penguins!”
SAVING MR. BANKS

B-61. This 1952 thriller set in China was disavowed by its great German director, who would never make another movie in Hollywood.

B-62. “You just don't like him! You don't like it that he uses a ballpoint pen. You don't like it that he takes threee lumps of sugar in his tea. You don't like it that he likes ‘Frosty the Snowman’ and you are letting that convince you of something that's terrible. Just terrible. Well, I like ‘Frosty the Snowman!’”
DOUBT

B-63. THE BLACK DAHLIA
*B-64. HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
*B-65. ALICE ADAMS
*B-66. MY COUSIN VINNY
*B-67. GUYS AND DOLLS

B-68. “It's all a front. Explorers searched for it for centuries. El Dorado. The Golden City. They thought they could find it in South America, but it was in Africa the whole time.”
BLACK PANTHER

B-69. Reportedly, Tennessee Williams so disliked this movie that he told people lined up outside the theatre to go home.

B-70. “What is your nationality?”
“I’m a drunkard.”
CASABLANCA

TANGREDI:
A listed actor is in a movie with another actor who won Best Supporting Actor or Actress, and who was also in a listed movie.

MATCHES:

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn with James Dunn (B-3. BRIGHT EYES)

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in Airport with Helen Hayes (B-39. MY SON JOHN)

A-22. CARY GRANT in None but the Lonely Heart with Ethel Barrymore (B-7. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE)

A-2. ED HARRIS in Pollock with Marcia Gay Harden (B-59. THE MIST)

A-26. ROBERT DE NIRO in The Untouchables with Sean Connery (B-55. NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN)

A-1. SIDNEY POITIER in A Patch of Blue with Shelley Winters (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)

A-6. WILLIAM POWELL in Mister Roberts with Jack Lemmon (B-58. THE CHINA SYNDROME)

A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER in The Razor’s Edge with Anne Baxter (B-13. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS)

A-26. ROBERT DE NIRO in Goodfellas with Joe Pesci (B-66. MY COUSIN VINNY)

A-30. MORGAN FREEMAN in Unforgiven with Gene Hackman (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)

A-34. MARTIN SHEEN in The Subject Was Roses with Jack Albertson (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)

A-33. DEBORAH KERR in From Here to Eternity with Frank Sinatra (B-67. GUYS AND DOLLS)

A-7. DONALD CRISP in The Life of Emile Zola with Joseph Schildkraut (B-49. CLEOPATRA)

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in Twelve O'clock High with Dean Jagger (B-39. MY SON JOHN)

A-25. JASON ROBARDS in Julia with Vanessa Redgrave (B-37. CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE)

A-7. DONALD CRISP in National Velvet with Anne Revere (B-4. GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT)

A-14. MARLON BRANDO in A Streetcar Named Desire with Karl Malden (B-45. POLLYANNA)

A-27. CLARK GABLE in Gone With the Wind with Hattie McDaniel (B-65. ALICE ADAMS)

A-20. JOHN CARRADINE in The Grapes of Wrath with Jane Darwell (B-3. BRIGHT EYES)

A-20. JOHN CARRADINE in Stagecoach with Thomas Mitchell (B-64. HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME)

A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in How Green Was My Valley with Donald Crisp (B-45. POLLYANNA)

A-25. JASON ROBARDS in A Thousand Clowns with Martin Balsam (B-50. 12 ANGRY MEN)

A-23. KERRY WASHINGTON in Django Unchained with Christoph Waltz (B-21. THE GREEN HORNET)

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in Hannah and Her Sisters with Dianne Wiest (B-26. PARENTHOOD)

A-30. MORGAN FREEMAN in The Dark Knight with Heath Ledger (B-2. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN)

A-12. HUMPHREY BOGART in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Walter Huston (B-23. AND THEN THERE WERE NONE)

A-21. AKIM TAMIROFF in Topkapi with Peter Ustinov (B-35. BILLY BUDD)

PARTIALS:

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in Hannah and Her Sisters with Michael Caine

A-7. DONALD CRISP in Jezebel with Fay Bainter

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in All About Eve with George Sanders

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in Elmer Gantry with Shirley Jones

Arthur with John Gielgud (B-37. CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE)

City Slickers with Jack Palance (B-14. THE PROFESSIONALS)

Sayonara with Red Buttons (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)

Cool Hand Luke with George Kennedy (B-19. FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX)

A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in Mrs. Miniver with Teresa Wright

A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in The Bad and the Beautiful with Gloria Grahame

A-8. DUSTIN HOFFMAN in All the President's Men with Jason Robards

Moonstruck with Olympia Dukakis (B-44. STEEL MAGNOLIAS)

(If Frank confirms Best Actor and Actress can be used, we can add 28 more matches.)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#63 Post by franktangredi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:12 am

jarnon wrote:
(If Frank confirms Best Actor and Actress can be used, we can add 28 more matches.)
It never occurred to me that anyone would think they couldn't! The "supportive" in the title was referring to the actors in List A.

jarnon

#64 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:47 am

franktangredi wrote:
jarnon wrote:(If Frank confirms Best Actor and Actress can be used, we can add 28 more matches.
It never occurred to me that anyone would think they couldn't! The "supportive" in the title was referring to the actors in List A.
Updated consolidation…

Identify the 36 actors in List A and the 70 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match each actor to three or more movies, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

• 1 actor will be matched to 6 moves
• 2 actors will be matched to 5 movies
• 8 actors will be matched to 4 movies
• 25 actors will be matched to 3 movies

34 movies will be used twice, 8 movies will be used three times, and 1 movie will be used four times.

There will be no alternate answers.

LIST A: ACTORS

*A-1. SIDNEY POITIER
*A-2. ED HARRIS
***A-3. LAURENCE HARVEY
*A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER
*A-5. THEODORE BIKEL
***A-6. WILLIAM POWELL
**A-7. DONALD CRISP
**A-8. DUSTIN HOFFMAN

A-9. In a 2016 biopic, this actor played a popular musician who aged into John Cusack.
PAUL DANO

A-10. “I've stood on the shoulders of life and I've never gotten down into the dirt to build, to erect a foundation of my own. I've flown too high on borrowed wings. Everything came too easy”
RALPH FIENNES

A-11. There is strong evidence that this actress’s son - a noted British stage director - was fathered, not by her husband, but by Orson Welles.

*A-12. HUMPHREY BOGART
***A-13. LLOYD NOLAN
*A-14. MARLON BRANDO
**A-15. ROBERT DUVALL
**A-16. WALTER PIDGEON
**A-17. HUGH MARLOWE

A-18. “My dear girl, anyone with a head that large is welcome in my court. Someone find her some clothes, use the curtains if you must, but clothe this enormous girl.”

*A-19. DONALD SUTHERLAND
**A-20. JOHN CARRADINE
**A-21. AKIM TAMIROFF
*A-22. CARY GRANT
***A-23. KERRY WASHINGTON

A-24. “I don't think I'm gonna say 'What the f**k' anymore. This thing has gotten way out of control.”
TOM CRUISE

***A-25. JASON ROBARDS
**A-26. ROBERT DE NIRO
***A-27. CLARK GABLE

A-28. “We've been paid to look the other way. I came here to take your money. I brought snapshots to show you so I could get your money. I can't do it; I can't take it. 'Cause if I take the money, I'm lost.”

A-29. The son of a blacklisted director, he is – at 6 feet, 6 inches – the tallest actor ever nominated for an Oscar.
JAMES CROMWELL? MICHAEL CLARKE DUNCAN?

*****A-30. MORGAN FREEMAN
***A-31. CHARLES BICKFORD
*A-32. CHRIS COOPER
***A-33. DEBORAH KERR
**A-34. MARTIN SHEEN
**A-35. ALAN ALDA
**A-36. JACK NICHOLSON

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. The first film to win a competitive Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, it has been cited by Bob Dylan as an inspiration for “Mr. Tambouring Man” and by Kris Kristofferson as an inspiration for “Me and Bobby McGee.”
LA STRADA

*B-2. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
**B-3. BRIGHT EYES
*B-4. GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT

B-5. Arguably the most controversial movie of 2017, it received both boos and a standing ovation when it premiered at the Venice Film Festival.

B-6. “You can wipe out an entire generation, you can burn their homes to the ground and somehow they'll still find their way back. But if you destroy their history, you destroy their achievements and it's as if they never existed. That's what Hitler wants and that's exactly what we are fighting for.”
MONUMENTS MEN

**B-7. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE

B-8. “The woman's house was taken from her because she did not pay her taxes. That happens when one is not responsible.”

B-9. Despite its all-star cast, this 1984 thriller was cited by Stephen King as one of the worst films made from one of this novels.
FIRESTARTER

*B-10. ALL THAT JAZZ
*B-11. THE GOOD EARTH
*B-12. MADAME CURIE
**B-13. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
*B-14. THE PROFESSIONALS
*B-15. BLITHE SPIRIT
*B-16. DOCTOR ZHIVAGO
B-17. UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING

B-18. “You see our grandmother lives in Rosita Beach, see, and she's dying and she’d kinda like to have us be with her when she goes.”
“Otherwise she won’t go.”
IAMMMMW

B-19. FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX
**B-20. COCOON
*B-21. THE GREEN HORNET

BEAUTIFUL GIRLS

*B-23. AND THEN THERE WERE NONE
*B-24. THE LETTER
*B-25. THE LAST LAUGH
*B-26. PARENTHOOD
*B-27. DIABOLIQUE

**B-28. THE BISHOP'S WIFE
*B-29. DUNKIRK

B-30. “What happened last night?”
“Well, you got drunk and told my dad I'm pregnant, you revealed you have a 15 year old son named Jorge, and oh, apparently you have the hots for my mom.”

B-31. One of the stars of this period black comedy has called it "a funnier, sex driven All About Eve."

****B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE
*B-33. GRAND HOTEL

B-34. “Hi, mum. I know you will be sound asleep. I just want to say that I'm safe. Safe and all the questions have been answered. There are no more dead ends. I found my mother, and she thanks you both for raising me. She understands that you are my family. She's happy, just knowing I'm alive. I found her, but that doesn't change who you are.”

*B-35. BILLY BUDD

B-36. “Does he look like a bitch?”
PULP FICTION

*B-37. CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE

B-38. “It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.”

**B-39. MY SON JOHN
*B-40. GOSFORD PARK
*B-41. THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY

B-42. “You don't shoot cops. Even I know that. Eva knows it. The only one who doesn't seem to know is you.”
“All right, Mama. I'm not going to, I promise you. I'm not going to shoot anyone.”
“I never asked you where all this stuff came from, because I didn't want to hear you lie to me.”

*B-43. DREAMGIRLS
*B-44. STEEL MAGNOLIAS
***B-45. POLLYANNA

B-46. “Hollywood, they make computers scary things. See how this reminds you of a friendly face? That the disk slot is a goofy grin? It's warm and it's playful and it needs to say ‘hello!’”
“The computer in 2001 said ‘hello’ all the time and it still scared the sh*t out of me.”
JOBS

B-47. The title characters of this 1960 Italian film were played by two French actors, two Italian actors, and a Greek actor.

B-48. “Whenever Mrs. Kissel breaks wind, we beat the dog.”

**B-49. CLEOPATRA
*B-50. 12 ANGRY MEN

B-51. The climactic moment of this 1955 biopic was the recreation of a television program that aired in February 1953.
I'LL CRY TOMORROW

*B-52. PAY IT FORWARD

B-53. This 1939 film – whose cast included many actors who had fled Germany – led Hitler to ban all Warner Brothers productions.
CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY

*B-54. STARMAN
*B-55. NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

B-56. “You come in here, scaring people half to death. You steal cars and motorboats, and you cause damage to private property and you threaten the whole community with grievous bodily harm and maybe murder. Now, we ain't going to take any more of that, see? We may be scared – I know I am - but maybe we ain't so scared as you think we are, see? Now you say you're going to blow up the town, huh? Well, I say, all right! You start shooting, and see what happens!”

B-57. GUNGA DIN
***B-58. THE CHINA SYNDROME
*B-59. THE MIST
*B-60. SAVING MR. BANKS

B-61. This 1952 thriller set in China was disavowed by its great German director, who would never make another movie in Hollywood.

*B-62. DOUBT
*B-63. THE BLACK DAHLIA
*B-64. HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
*B-65. ALICE ADAMS
*B-66. MY COUSIN VINNY
*B-67. GUYS AND DOLLS
*B-68. BLACK PANTHER
*B-69. CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF

B-70. “What is your nationality?”
“I’m a drunkard.”
CASABLANCA

TANGREDI:
A listed actor is in a movie with another actor who won an Oscar, and who was also in a listed movie.

MATCHES:

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn with James Dunn (B-3. BRIGHT EYES)

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in Airport with Helen Hayes (B-39. MY SON JOHN)

A-22. CARY GRANT in None but the Lonely Heart with Ethel Barrymore (B-7. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE)

A-2. ED HARRIS in Pollock with Marcia Gay Harden (B-59. THE MIST)

A-26. ROBERT DE NIRO in The Untouchables with Sean Connery (B-55. NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN)

A-1. SIDNEY POITIER in A Patch of Blue with Shelley Winters (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)

A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER in The Razor’s Edge with Anne Baxter (B-13. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS)

A-26. ROBERT DE NIRO in Goodfellas with Joe Pesci (B-66. MY COUSIN VINNY)

A-34. MARTIN SHEEN in The Subject Was Roses with Jack Albertson (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)

A-33. DEBORAH KERR in From Here to Eternity with Frank Sinatra (B-67. GUYS AND DOLLS)

A-7. DONALD CRISP in The Life of Emile Zola with Joseph Schildkraut (B-49. CLEOPATRA)

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in Twelve O'clock High with Dean Jagger (B-39. MY SON JOHN)

A-25. JASON ROBARDS in Julia with Vanessa Redgrave (B-37. CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE)

A-7. DONALD CRISP in National Velvet with Anne Revere (B-4. GENTLEMEN'S AGREEMENT)

A-14. MARLON BRANDO in A Streetcar Named Desire with Karl Malden (B-45. POLLYANNA)

A-27. CLARK GABLE in Gone With the Wind with Hattie McDaniel (B-65. ALICE ADAMS)

A-20. JOHN CARRADINE in The Grapes of Wrath with Jane Darwell (B-3. BRIGHT EYES)

A-20. JOHN CARRADINE in Stagecoach with Thomas Mitchell (B-64. HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME)

A-23. KERRY WASHINGTON in Django Unchained with Christoph Waltz (B-21. THE GREEN HORNET)

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in Hannah and Her Sisters with Dianne Wiest (B-26. PARENTHOOD)

A-30. MORGAN FREEMAN in The Dark Knight with Heath Ledger (B-2. BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN)

A-12. HUMPHREY BOGART in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre with Walter Huston (B-23. AND THEN THERE WERE NONE)

A-21. AKIM TAMIROFF in Topkapi with Peter Ustinov (B-35. BILLY BUDD)

A-15. ROBERT DUVALL in Crazy Heart with Jeff Bridges (B-54. STARMAN)

A-19. DONALD SUTHERLAND in Klute with Jane Fonda (B-58. THE CHINA SYNDROME)

A-34. MARTIN SHEEN in Wall Street with Michael Douglas (B-58. THE CHINA SYNDROME)

A-33. DEBORAH KERR in The King and I with Yul Brynner (B-13. THE TEN COMMANDMENTS)

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in Elmer Gantry with Burt Lancaster (B-14. THE PROFESSIONALS)

A-31. CHARLES BICKFORD in Johnny Belinda with Jane Wyman (B-45. POLLYANNA)

A-31. CHARLES BICKFORD in The Song of Bernadette with Jennifer Jones (B-7. PORTRAIT OF JENNIE)

A-31. CHARLES BICKFORD in The Farmer’s Daughter with Loretta Young (B-28. THE BISHOP'S WIFE)

A-33. DEBORAH KERR in Separate Tables with David Niven (B-28. THE BISHOP'S WIFE)

A-27. CLARK GABLE in A Free Soul with Lionel Barrymore (B-33. GRAND HOTEL)

A-27. CLARK GABLE in It happened One Night with Claudette Colbert (B-49. CLEOPATRA)

A-3. LAURENCE HARVEY in Room at the Top with Simone Signoret (B-27. DIABOLIQUE)

A-3. LAURENCE HARVEY in Butterfield 8 with Elizabeth Taylor (B-69. CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF)

A-3. LAURENCE HARVEY in Darling with Julie Christie (B-16. DOCTOR ZHIVAGO)

A-32. CHRIS COOPER in American Beauty with Kevin Spacey (B-52. PAY IT FORWARD)

A-15. ROBERT DUVALL in True Grit with John Wayne (B-41. THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY)

A-30. MORGAN FREEMAN in Million Dollar Baby with Hillary Swank (B-63. THE BLACK DAHLIA)

A-30. MORGAN FREEMAN in Driving Miss Daisy with Jessica Tandy (B-20. COCOON)

A-6. WILLIAM POWELL in The Great Ziegfeld with Luise Rainier (B-11. THE GOOD EARTH)

A-6. WILLIAM POWELL in The Last Command with Emil Jannings (B-25. THE LAST LAUGH)

A-23. KERRY WASHINGTON in Ray with Jamie Foxx (B-43. DREAMGIRLS)

A-23. KERRY WASHINGTON in The Last King of Scotland with Forest Whitaker (B-68. BLACK PANTHER)

A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in Mrs. Miniver with Greer Garson (B-12. MADAME CURIE)

A-8. DUSTIN HOFFMAN in Kramer vs Kramer with Meryl Streep (B-62. DOUBT)

A-25. JASON ROBARDS in Philadelphia with Tom Hanks (B-60. SAVING MR. BANKS)

A-36. JACK NICHOLSON in Terms of Endearment with Shirley MacLaine (B-44. STEEL MAGNOLIAS)

A-5. THEODORE BIKEL in My Fair Lady with Rex Harrison (B-15. BLITHE SPIRIT)

PARTIALS:

A-13. LLOYD NOLAN in Hannah and Her Sisters with Michael Caine

A-7. DONALD CRISP in Jezebel with Fay Bainter

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in All About Eve with George Sanders

A-17. HUGH MARLOWE in Elmer Gantry with Shirley Jones

Arthur with John Gielgud (B-37. CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE)

City Slickers with Jack Palance (B-14. THE PROFESSIONALS)

Sayonara with Red Buttons (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)

Cool Hand Luke with George Kennedy (B-19. FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX)

A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in Mrs. Miniver with Teresa Wright

A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in The Bad and the Beautiful with Gloria Grahame

A-8. DUSTIN HOFFMAN in All the President's Men with Jason Robards

Moonstruck with Olympia Dukakis (B-44. STEEL MAGNOLIAS)

A-1. SIDNEY POITIER in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner with Katherine Hepburn

A-1. SIDNEY POITIER in In the Heat of the Night with Rod Steiger

A-2. ED HARRIS in Places in the Heart with Sally Field

A-2. ED HARRIS in The Hours with Nicole Kidman

A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER in The Private Life of Henry VIII with Charles Laughton

A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER in Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews

A-5. THEODORE BIKEL in I Want to Live! with Susan Hayward

A-7. DONALD CRISP in Jezebel with Bette Davis

A-7. DONALD CRISP in The Life of Emile Zola with Paul Muni

Harry and Tonto with Art Carney (B-9. FIRESTARTER)

Cat Ballou with Lee Marvin (B-14. THE PROFESSIONALS)

A-16. WALTER PIDGEON in Funny Girl with Barbra Streisand
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mellytu74

#65 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:02 am

This was nagging me. It's PAUL NEWMAN in The Verdict.

A-28 PAUL NEWMAN in Hud with Melvyn Douglas (B-35. BILLY BUDD)

Filling in a couple of partials:

A-14. MARLON BRANDO in Sayonara with Red Buttons (B-32. THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE)

A-28. PAUL NEWMAN in Cool Hand Luke with George Kennedy (B-19. FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX)

A-5. THEODORE BIKEL in I Want to Live! with Susan Hayward (B-51. I'LL CRY TOMORROW)

A-7. DONALD CRISP in Jezebel with Bette Davis (B-24. THE LETTER)

A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER in The Private Life of Henry VIII with Charles Laughton (B-64. HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME)

A-4. ELSA LANCHESTER in Mary Poppins with Julie Andrews (B-48. 10)

And a corrections:

A-7. DONALD CRISP in The Life of Emile Zola with Paul Muni

And, my mistake, Muni won for Louis Pasteur, not Emile Zola. Seen one prestige bio, you've seen 'em all. :)

mrkelley23

#66 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:36 am

If I'm understanding the Tangredi correctly, B-70 Casablanca could be used three time for Ingrid Bergman alone.

She won for Murder on the Orient Express, and I think Ustinov played Poirot in that one.

She won for Anastasia, supported by Akim Tamaroff.

And she won for Gaslight, supported by ?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

silverscreenselect

#67 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:38 am

Tom Cruise was in Rain Man with Dustin Hoffman, Jerry Maguire with Cuba Gooding, Jr., and The Color of Money with Paul Newman (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof).

franktangredi

#68 Post by franktangredi » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:51 am

mrkelley23 wrote:If I'm understanding the Tangredi correctly, B-70 Casablanca could be used three time for Ingrid Bergman alone.

She won for Murder on the Orient Express, and I think Ustinov played Poirot in that one.

She won for Anastasia, supported by Akim Tamaroff.

And she won for Gaslight, supported by ?
And that's why I didn't use ANYBODY who was in Murder on the Orient Express on List A. It was hard to avoid!

silverscreenselect

#69 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:26 am

Paul Newman was in Sweet Bird of Youth with Ed Begley (12 Angry Men).
Chris Cooper was in Syriana with George Clooney (Monuments Men)
Paul Dano was in There Will Be Blood with Daniel Day Lewis (Unbearable Lightness)
Jack Nicholson in Terms of Endearment with Shirley MacLaine (Steel Magnolias)

silverscreenselect

#70 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:43 am

jarnon wrote:
JOBS
This is actually from STEVE JOBS, which is the movie with Michael Fassbender and Kate Winslett. JOBS is the earlier movie with Ashton Kutcher.

And Winslet won the Oscar for The Reader with Ralph Fiennes.

silverscreenselect

#71 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:07 pm

I should have gotten this one a lot earlier. It's one of my favorite Westerns.

Charles Bickford was in the Big Country with Burl Ives (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof).

And Humphrey Bogart in Key Largo with Claire Trevor (High and the Mighty).

mellytu74

#72 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Sparked by Mr K's post:

I have NO IDEA what this movie is.

BUT I will bet my grandmother's Connemara marble rosary beads that Katina Paxinou is in it.

A-21. AKIM TAMIROFF in For Whom the Bell Tolls with Katina Paxinou (B-47 Unknown Movie)
Last edited by mellytu74 on Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mellytu74

#73 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:55 pm

Wasn't A-9. PAUL DANO in 12 Years a Slave?

If so:

A-9. PAUL DANO in 12 Years a Slave with Lupita Nyong'o (B-68. BLACK PANTHER)

Also

THIS WAS DRIVING ME NUTS BECAUSE I KNEW I KNEW IT.

It's Brian Keith yelling at Theodore Bikel in THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING, THE RUSSIANS ARE COMING.

Any Little Miss Sunshine co-stars to give us Alan Arkin?

silverscreenselect

#74 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:59 pm

mellytu74 wrote: Any Little Miss Sunshine co-stars to give us Alan Arkin?
Paul Dano

mellytu74

#75 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:05 pm

A-29. JAMES CROMWELL in The Queen with Helen Mirren (B-40. GOSFORD PARK)

A-29. JAMES CROMWELL in LA Confidential with Kim Basinger

A-5. THEODORE BIKEL in The African Queen with Humphrey Bogart (B-70 CASABLANCA)