Game #194: Very Supportive Actors

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

#1 Post by franktangredi » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:43 am

Identify the 36 actors in List A and the 70 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match each actor to three or more movies, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

• 1 actor will be matched to 6 moves
• 2 actors will be matched to 5 movies
• 8 actors will be matched to 4 movies
• 25 actors will be matched to 3 movies

34 movies will be used twice, 8 movies will be used three times, and 1 movie will be used four times.

There will be no alternate answers.

LIST A: ACTORS

A-1. For ten years, this actor served as Bahamian ambassador to Japan.

A-2. “I am the Creator - of a television show that gives hope and joy and inspiration to millions.”

A-3. In the 1960s, this actor played one role that had earlier been played by Leslie Howard and one role that would later be played by Liev Schreiber.

A-4. “Sir Wilfrid, you've forgotten your brandy!”

A-5. On Broadway, he originated the male lead in the last musical written by Rodgers and Hammerstein.

A-6. “I know all about her. Title-crazy, with a fatheaded old father to buy her in and out. America's international playgirl. That's her rep - and she thinks it's worth $5 million. When I get through with her, she'll take five cents.”

A-7. This veteran character actor appeared in films about a real-life Mexican statesman, a real-life German immunologist, a real-life American football coach, and a real-life English queen.

A-8. “I'll tell ya another thing. Frankly, you're beginning to smell. And for a stud in New York, that's a handicap.”

A-9. In a 2016 biopic, this actor played a popular musician who aged into John Cusack.

A-10. “I've stood on the shoulders of life and I've never gotten down into the dirt to build, to erect a foundation of my own. I've flown too high on borrowed wings. Everything came too easy”

A-11. There is strong evidence that this actress’s son - a noted British stage director - was fathered, not by her husband, but by Orson Welles.

A-12. “If I see one more shirttail flapping while I'm captain of this ship - woe betide the sailor; woe betide the OOD; and woe betide the morale officer, I kid you not!”

A-13. He won a Tony award for playing the character referenced in the preceding clue.

A-14. “Go get the butter.”

A-15. His performance in a 2014 film made him the oldest male actor ever nominated for an Oscar – a record that only lasted three years.

A-16. “Guilty! Guilty! My evil self is at that door, and I have no power to stop it!”

A-17. This actor’s one-time father-in-law directed A Night at the Opera; his son is a play-by-play announcer for the Denver Nuggets.

A-18. “My dear girl, anyone with a head that large is welcome in my court. Someone find her some clothes, use the curtains if you must, but clothe this enormous girl.”

A-19. His screen wives have included Julie Christie, Stockard Channing, and Brenda Blethyn.

A-20. “It was I who first discovered how to make a man impotent by hiding his hat. I was the first one to explain the connection between excessive masturbation and entering politics. It was I who first said that the clitoral orgasm should not be only for women!”

A-21. For his performance as a Chinese warlord, this Armenian-born actor became one of the first five Oscar nominees for Best Supporting Actor.

A-22. “She may be risking her life, but when it comes to being a lady, she doesn't hold a candle to your wife sitting in Washington, playing bridge with three other ladies of great honor and virtue.”

A-23. In 2018, Forbes ranked her as the highest paid African American actress on American television, and the eighth highest overall.

A-24. “I don't think I'm gonna say 'What the f**k' anymore. This thing has gotten way out of control.”

A-25. The final film role of his distinguished career was as the estranged father of the actor in the preceding clue.

A-26. “I was gonna whack you. But I was real conflicted about it.”

A-27. He starred in screen adaptations of Pulitzer Prize-winning plays by Eugene O’Neill, Robert E. Sherwood, and Sidney Kingsley.

A-28. “We've been paid to look the other way. I came here to take your money. I brought snapshots to show you so I could get your money. I can't do it; I can't take it. 'Cause if I take the money, I'm lost.”

A-29. The son of a blacklisted director, he is – at 6 feet, 6 inches – the tallest actor ever nominated for an Oscar.

A-30. “Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”

A-31. In 1966, this veteran character actor joined the cast of what would become television’s third longest-running western, but his own run on the show was not nearly as long: he died the following year.

A-32. “Point is, what's so wonderful is that every one of these flowers has a specific relationship with the insect that pollinates it. There's a certain orchid looks exactly like a certain insect so the insect is drawn to this flower, its double, its soul mate, and wants nothing more than to make love to it. And after the insect flies off, spots another soul-mate flower and makes love to it, thus pollinating it. And neither the flower nor the insect will ever understand the significance of their lovemaking. I mean, how could they know that because of their little dance the world lives?”

A-33. Her religious roles included an Anglican nun in the Himalayas and a Catholic nun in the Pacific.

A-34. “Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service. It was a real choice mission, and when it was over, I never wanted another.”

A-35. He received four Emmy awards for a series in which he reprised a role first played on film by an actor in one of the preceding clues.

A-36. “We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!”

LIST B: MOVIES

B-1. The first film to win a competitive Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, it has been cited by Bob Dylan as an inspiration for “Mr. Tambouring Man” and by Kris Kristofferson as an inspiration for “Me and Bobby McGee.”

B-2. “We can get together ... once in a while, way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, but – “
“Once in a while? Every four f**kin' years?”
“If you can't fix it, Jack, you gotta stand it.”

B-3. This movie was the first to place the name of its six year-old star above the title and also introduced her signature song.

B-4. “They scold Bilbo and think they've fought the good fight for democracy in this country. They haven't got the guts to go from talking to action. One little action on one little front. Sure, I know it’s not the whole answer, but it’s got to start somewhere, and it's got to start with passion. Not pamphlets, not even your series. It's got to be with people. Rich people, poor people, big and little people. And it's got to be quick.”

B-5. Arguably the most controversial movie of 2017, it received both boos and a standing ovation when it premiered at the Venice Film Festival.

B-6. “You can wipe out an entire generation, you can burn their homes to the ground and somehow they'll still find their way back. But if you destroy their history, you destroy their achievements and it's as if they never existed. That's what Hitler wants and that's exactly what we are fighting for.”

B-7. Unusual for the time, this fantasy had no opening credits except for the Selznick logo.

B-8. “The woman's house was taken from her because she did not pay her taxes. That happens when one is not responsible.”

B-9. Despite its all-star cast, this 1984 thriller was cited by Stephen King as one of the worst films made from one of this novels.

B-10. “It’s showtime!”

B-11. Based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, this epic was the last film supervised by Irving Thalberg and was dedicated to him in the credits.

B-12. “No one of us can do much. Yet, each of us, perhaps, can catch some gleam of knowledge which, modest and insufficient of itself, may add to man's dream of truth. It is by these small candles in our darkness that we see before us, little by little, the dim outline of that great plan that shapes the universe. And I am among those who think that for this reason, science has great beauty and, with its great spiritual strength, will in time cleanse this world of its evils, its ignorance, its poverty, diseases, wars, and heartaches. Look for the clear light of truth. Look for unknown, new roads. Even when man's sight is keener far than now, divine wonder will never fail him. Every age has its own dreams. Leave, then, the dreams of yesterday. Youth, take the torch of knowledge and build the palace of the future.”

B-13. The visual effects that won this movie an Oscar were achieve with the help of some 360,000 gallons of water.

B-14. “You bastard!”
“Yes, sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, sir, you're a self-made man.”

B-15. The author of Private Lives took the title of this play and film from a work by the author of “Ozymandias.”

B-16. “The personal life is dead in Russia. History has killed it.”

B-17. This adaptation of a Czech novel was ranked #87 on the AFI list of “100 Years … 100 Passions.”

B-18. “You see our grandmother lives in Rosita Beach, see, and she's dying and she’d kinda like to have us be with her when she goes.”
“Otherwise she won’t go.”

B-19. Two years after the movie in the preceding clue, a member of its cast was the only woman in this adventure film – as a character who did not exist.

B-20. “I hope you're not gonna take your skin off. 'Cause I really like skin on a woman.”

B-21. This 2011 superhero movie featured a character who made his initial appearance on a radio series in 1936.

B-22. “A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack and Coke all morning. She can make you feel high full of the single greatest commodity known to man - promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gait of a beautiful girl. In her smile, in her soul, the way she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay. The supermodels, Willy? That's all they are. Bottled promise. Scenes from a brand new day. Hope dancing in stiletto heels.”

B-23. This movie marked the nexus where A Nous la Liberte meets The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

B-24. “With all my heart, I still love the man I killed.”

B-25. The most silent of silent movies, it featured no intertitle cards until an ironic one at the very end.

B-26. “I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.”

B-27. The author of the novel Psycho stated that his all-time favorite thriller was this French classic – which must surely have annoyed Hitchcock, who had failed to secure the rights to it.

B-28. I was praying for a cathedral.”
“No, Henry. You were praying for guidance.”

B-29. This acclaimed war film marked the dramatic film debut of a member of the most popular boy band of the last decade.

B-30. “What happened last night?”
“Well, you got drunk and told my dad I'm pregnant, you revealed you have a 15 year old son named Jorge, and oh, apparently you have the hots for my mom.”

B-31. One of the stars of this period black comedy has called it "a funnier, sex driven All About Eve."

B-32. “What more do you want of us? We've come all this way, no thanks to you. We did it on our own, no help from you. We didn’t ask you to fight for us, but damn it, don't fight against us! Leave us alone! How many more sacrifices? How much more blood? How many more lives?”

B-33. It was the only film to win the Oscar for Best Picture without receiving a single other nomination.

B-34. “Hi, mum. I know you will be sound asleep. I just want to say that I'm safe. Safe and all the questions have been answered. There are no more dead ends. I found my mother, and she thanks you both for raising me. She understands that you are my family. She's happy, just knowing I'm alive. I found her, but that doesn't change who you are.”

B-35. In between Oscar wins, a distinguished actor found time to direct this adaptation of a classic 19th century American novella.

B-36. “Does he look like a bitch?”

B-37. This 1968 movie about an 1854 military disaster was viewed by some as a veiled metaphor for America’s involvement in Vietnam.

B-38. “It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.”

B-39. The critic for the New Yorker wrote that this 1952 movie encouraged its audience to “cut out thinking, obey their superiors blindly, regard all political suspects as guilty without trial, revel in joy through strength, and pay more attention to football" – in other words, a perfect Red Scare flick.

B-40. “What gift do you think a good servant has that separates them from the others? It’s the gift of anticipation. And I'm a good servant; I'm better than good, I'm the best; I'm the perfect servant. I know when they'll be hungry, and the food is ready. I know when they'll be tired, and the bed is turned down. I know it before they know it themselves.”

B-41. The supporting cast of this movie included Eliot Ness, Long John Silver, Baloo, and Alfalfa.

B-42. “You don't shoot cops. Even I know that. Eva knows it. The only one who doesn't seem to know is you.”
“All right, Mama. I'm not going to, I promise you. I'm not going to shoot anyone.”
“I never asked you where all this stuff came from, because I didn't want to hear you lie to me.”

B-43. The actress who won an Oscar for this movie musical shares her first name and last initial with the actress who won a Tony for the original Broadway production. (No wonder I’m constantly mixing them up!)

B-44. “That sanctuary looks like it's been hosed down with Pepto-Bismol.”

B-45. This Disney film marked the last appearance of a veteran actor who had worked in silent films with Griffith, Chaplin and Valentino and in sound films with Dietrich, Tracy and Hepburn, and Kubrick.

B-46. “Hollywood, they make computers scary things. See how this reminds you of a friendly face? That the disk slot is a goofy grin? It's warm and it's playful and it needs to say ‘hello!’”
“The computer in 2001 said ‘hello’ all the time and it still scared the sh*t out of me.”

B-47. The title characters of this 1960 Italian film were played by two French actors, two Italian actors, and a Greek actor.

B-48. “Whenever Mrs. Kissel breaks wind, we beat the dog.”

B-49. It was the first of three films by the director of the movie in Clue B-13 to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Picture.

B-50. “There's a - there's a danger here. These people are dangerous. They're wild. Listen to me. Listen.”
“I have. Now sit down and don't open your mouth again.”

B-51. The climactic moment of this 1955 biopic was the recreation of a television program that aired in February 1953.

B-52. “Are you saying you'll flunk us if we don't change the world?
“Well, no. But you might just scrape by with a C.”

B-53. This 1939 film – whose cast included many actors who had fled Germany – led Hitler to ban all Warner Brothers productions.

B-54. “I watched you very carefully. Red light, stop. Green light, go. Yellow light … go very fast.”

B-55. The title of this movie is a sly reference to the fact that, twelve years earlier, its star had announced he was done playing the lead role.

B-56. “You come in here, scaring people half to death. You steal cars and motorboats, and you cause damage to private property and you threaten the whole community with grievous bodily harm and maybe murder. Now, we ain't going to take any more of that, see? We may be scared – I know I am - but maybe we ain't so scared as you think we are, see? Now you say you're going to blow up the town, huh? Well, I say, all right! You start shooting, and see what happens!”

B-57. Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., considered this movie “my sole masterpiece among the hundred or so films I made."

B-58. “I may be wrong, but I'd say you're lucky to be alive. For that matter, I think we might say the same for the rest of Southern California.”

B-59. Speaking of Stephen King – as we were back in Clue B-9 – he thought the gut-punch ending of this horror movie was actually better than the one he originally wrote.

B-60. “Penguins have very much upset me! Animated, dancing penguins!”

B-61. This 1952 thriller set in China was disavowed by its great German director, who would never make another movie in Hollywood.

B-62. “You just don't like him! You don't like it that he uses a ballpoint pen. You don't like it that he takes threee lumps of sugar in his tea. You don't like it that he likes ‘Frosty the Snowman’ and you are letting that convince you of something that's terrible. Just terrible. Well, I like ‘Frosty the Snowman!’”

B-63. This focus of this 2006 movie is not the grisly real-life murder that took place in January 1947, but a fictional series of copycat murders.

B-64. “Why was I not made of stone, like thee?”

B-65. This movie was based on the second Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by the first novelist to win two Pulitzer Prizes.

B-66. “Sure, I've heard of grits. I just never actually seen a grit before.”

B-67. Because of the deletion of one song from the original Broadway score, the two leading ladies of this 1955 musical do not share a single scene.

B-68. “It's all a front. Explorers searched for it for centuries. El Dorado. The Golden City. They thought they could find it in South America, but it was in Africa the whole time.”

B-69. Reportedly, Tennessee Williams so disliked this movie that he told people lined up outside the theatre to go home.

B-70. “What is your nationality?”
“I’m a drunkard.”

mellytu74

Re: Game #194: Very Supportive Actors

#2 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:18 am

FIRST PASS - List A

SIDNEY POITIER

A-2. “I am the Creator - of a television show that gives hope and joy and inspiration to millions.”

ED HARRIS

ELSA LANCHESTER

A-5. On Broadway, he originated the male lead in the last musical written by Rodgers and Hammerstein.

THEODORE BIKEL

A-6. “I know all about her. Title-crazy, with a fatheaded old father to buy her in and out. America's international playgirl. That's her rep - and she thinks it's worth $5 million. When I get through with her, she'll take five cents.”

WILLIAM POWELL

A-7. This veteran character actor appeared in films about a real-life Mexican statesman, a real-life German immunologist, a real-life American football coach, and a real-life English queen.

DONALD CRISP?

A-10. “I've stood on the shoulders of life and I've never gotten down into the dirt to build, to erect a foundation of my own. I've flown too high on borrowed wings. Everything came too easy”

RALPH FIENNES - QUIZ SHOW

A-12. “If I see one more shirttail flapping while I'm captain of this ship - woe betide the sailor; woe betide the OOD; and woe betide the morale officer, I kid you not!”

HUMPHREY BOGART

A-17. This actor’s one-time father-in-law directed A Night at the Opera; his son is a play-by-play announcer for the Denver Nuggets.

HUGH MARLOWE? I never knew Chris Marlowe was his son.

A-22. “She may be risking her life, but when it comes to being a lady, she doesn't hold a candle to your wife sitting in Washington, playing bridge with three other ladies of great honor and virtue.”

CARY GRANT

ROBERT DENIRO

A-29. The son of a blacklisted director, he is – at 6 feet, 6 inches – the tallest actor ever nominated for an Oscar.

JAMES CROMWELL

A-30. “Let me tell you something, my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”

MORGAN FREEMAN

A-33. Her religious roles included an Anglican nun in the Himalayas and a Catholic nun in the Pacific.

DEBORAH KERR

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:19 am

SIDNEY POITIER

ELSA LANCHESTER

A-9. In a 2016 biopic, this actor played a popular musician who aged into John Cusack.

PAUL DANO

HUMPHREY BOGART

A-31. In 1966, this veteran character actor joined the cast of what would become television’s third longest-running western, but his own run on the show was not nearly as long: he died the following year.

CHARLES BICKFORD

DEBORAH KERR

B-9. Despite its all-star cast, this 1984 thriller was cited by Stephen King as one of the worst films made from one of this novels.

FIRESTARTER

B-10. “It’s showtime!”

ALL THAT JAZZ

B-13. The visual effects that won this movie an Oscar were achieve with the help of some 360,000 gallons of water.

TITANIC ?
B-14. “You bastard!”
“Yes, sir. In my case an accident of birth. But you, sir, you're a self-made man.”

THE PROFESSIONALS (Still one of the best closing lines ever in a movie)

B-19. Two years after the movie in the preceding clue, a member of its cast was the only woman in this adventure film – as a character who did not exist.

FLIGHT OF THE PHOENIX (the original)

B-21. This 2011 superhero movie featured a character who made his initial appearance on a radio series in 1936.

THE GREEN HORNET

B-29. This acclaimed war film marked the dramatic film debut of a member of the most popular boy band of the last decade.

DUNKIRK (One of Spock's favorite films)

B-37. This 1968 movie about an 1854 military disaster was viewed by some as a veiled metaphor for America’s involvement in Vietnam.

CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE

B-54. “I watched you very carefully. Red light, stop. Green light, go. Yellow light … go very fast.”

STARMAN

B-55. The title of this movie is a sly reference to the fact that, twelve years earlier, its star had announced he was done playing the lead role.

NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN

B-63. This focus of this 2006 movie is not the grisly real-life murder that took place in January 1947, but a fictional series of copycat murders.

THE BLACK DAHLIA ?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#4 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:38 am

silverscreenselect wrote:B-10. “It’s showtime!”

ALL THAT JAZZ

May very well be what Frank was going for, but I was about to answer Beetlejuice.

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

mellytu74

#5 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:47 am

AND FAST FIRST PASS AT LIST B

B-3. This movie was the first to place the name of its six year-old star above the title and also introduced her signature song.

BRIGHT EYES

B-6. “You can wipe out an entire generation, you can burn their homes to the ground and somehow they'll still find their way back. But if you destroy their history, you destroy their achievements and it's as if they never existed. That's what Hitler wants and that's exactly what we are fighting for.”

MONUMENTS MENT

B-7. Unusual for the time, this fantasy had no opening credits except for the Selznick logo.

PORTRAIT OF JENNIE

B-10. “It’s showtime!”

ALL THAT JAZZ

B-11. Based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning novel, this epic was the last film supervised by Irving Thalberg and was dedicated to him in the credits.

THE GOOD EARTH??

B-12. “No one of us can do much. Yet, each of us, perhaps, can catch some gleam of knowledge which, modest and insufficient of itself, may add to man's dream of truth. It is by these small candles in our darkness that we see before us, little by little, the dim outline of that great plan that shapes the universe. And I am among those who think that for this reason, science has great beauty and, with its great spiritual strength, will in time cleanse this world of its evils, its ignorance, its poverty, diseases, wars, and heartaches. Look for the clear light of truth. Look for unknown, new roads. Even when man's sight is keener far than now, divine wonder will never fail him. Every age has its own dreams. Leave, then, the dreams of yesterday. Youth, take the torch of knowledge and build the palace of the future.”

MADAME CURIE

B-14. “You bastard!”

THE PROFESSIONALS?

DOCTOR ZHIVAGO

THE LETTER

B-25. The most silent of silent movies, it featured no intertitle cards until an ironic one at the very end.

THE LAST LAUGH??

THE BISHOP'S WIFE

DUNKIRK?

B-33. It was the only film to win the Oscar for Best Picture without receiving a single other nomination.

GRAND HOTEL

B-39. The critic for the New Yorker wrote that this 1952 movie encouraged its audience to “cut out thinking, obey their superiors blindly, regard all political suspects as guilty without trial, revel in joy through strength, and pay more attention to football" – in other words, a perfect Red Scare flick.

MY SON JOHN?

B-41. The supporting cast of this movie included Eliot Ness, Long John Silver, Baloo, and Alfalfa.

THE HIGH AND THE MIGHTY

B-43. The actress who won an Oscar for this movie musical shares her first name and last initial with the actress who won a Tony for the original Broadway production. (No wonder I’m constantly mixing them up!)

STEEL MAGNOLIAS

B-45. This Disney film marked the last appearance of a veteran actor who had worked in silent films with Griffith, Chaplin and Valentino and in sound films with Dietrich, Tracy and Hepburn, and Kubrick.

POLLYANNA? The actor being Adolph Menjou

B-51. The climactic moment of this 1955 biopic was the recreation of a television program that aired in February 1953.

I'LL CRY TOMORROW

B-53. This 1939 film – whose cast included many actors who had fled Germany – led Hitler to ban all Warner Brothers productions.

CONFESSIONS OF A NAZI SPY

B-57. Douglas Fairbanks, Jr., considered this movie “my sole masterpiece among the hundred or so films I made."

GUNGA DIN?

SAVING MR. BANKS

B-62. “You just don't like him! You don't like it that he uses a ballpoint pen. You don't like it that he takes threee lumps of sugar in his tea. You don't like it that he likes ‘Frosty the Snowman’ and you are letting that convince you of something that's terrible. Just terrible. Well, I like ‘Frosty the Snowman!’”

DOUBT

HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME

B-65. This movie was based on the second Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by the first novelist to win two Pulitzer Prizes.

ALICE ADAMS? THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS? I KNOW IT'S TARKINGTON, I JUST DON'T KNOW WHICH WAS FIRST.

B-67. Because of the deletion of one song from the original Broadway score, the two leading ladies of this 1955 musical do not share a single scene.

GUYS AND DOLLS (Marry the Man Today)

“I’m a drunkard.”

CASABLANCA

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:49 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

ALL THAT JAZZ

May very well be what Frank was going for, but I was about to answer Beetlejuice.

lb13

oOOOH - Could be. All That Jazz was fresh in my mind because of Fosse/Verdon.

jarnon

#7 Post by jarnon » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:52 am

Oh boy! I’ll respond quickly before other BBs get all the ones I know.

SIDNEY POITIER

ED HARRIS

HUMPHREY BOGART

A-36. “We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it!”
JACK NICHOLSON

MONUMENT MEN

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

B-20. “I hope you're not gonna take your skin off. 'Cause I really like skin on a woman.”
COCOON

GREEN HORNET

B-58. “I may be wrong, but I'd say you're lucky to be alive. For that matter, I think we might say the same for the rest of Southern California.”
CHINA SYNDROME

MY COUSIN VINNY
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#8 Post by franktangredi » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:56 am

mellytu74 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

ALL THAT JAZZ

lb13

I'll clarify, then. I was going for ALL THAT JAZZ.

Appa23

#9 Post by Appa23 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:57 pm

franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

I'll clarify, then. I was going for ALL THAT JAZZ.
I think that the quote is "It's showtime, folks!"

Appa23

#10 Post by Appa23 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:16 pm

franktangredi wrote:Game #194: Very Supportive Actors

Identify the 36 actors in List A and the 70 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match each actor to three or more movies, according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

34 movies will be used twice, 8 movies will be used three times, and 1 movie will be used four times.

POITIER

ED HARRIS

A-3. In the 1960s, this actor played one role that had earlier been played by Leslie Howard and one role that would later be played by Liev Schreiber.

A-8. “I'll tell ya another thing. Frankly, you're beginning to smell. And for a stud in New York, that's a handicap.”

R. FIENNES

A-11. There is strong evidence that this actress’s son - a noted British stage director - was fathered, not by her husband, but by Orson Welles.

HUMPHREY BOGART

A-13. He won a Tony award for playing the character referenced in the preceding clue.

(Caine Mutiny Court Martial won a Tony? )

A-14. “Go get the butter.”

A-15. His performance in a 2014 film made him the oldest male actor ever nominated for an Oscar – a record that only lasted three years.
ROBERT DUVALL

A-16. “Guilty! Guilty! My evil self is at that door, and I have no power to stop it!”

A-18. “My dear girl, anyone with a head that large is welcome in my court. Someone find her some clothes, use the curtains if you must, but clothe this enormous girl.”

A-19. His screen wives have included Julie Christie, Stockard Channing, and Brenda Blethyn.

A-20. “It was I who first discovered how to make a man impotent by hiding his hat. I was the first one to explain the connection between excessive masturbation and entering politics. It was I who first said that the clitoral orgasm should not be only for women!”

A-21. For his performance as a Chinese warlord, this Armenian-born actor became one of the first five Oscar nominees for Best Supporting Actor.

A-23. In 2018, Forbes ranked her as the highest paid African American actress on American television, and the eighth highest overall.

VIOLA DAVIS?

A-24. “I don't think I'm gonna say 'What the f**k' anymore. This thing has gotten way out of control.”

A-25. The final film role of his distinguished career was as the estranged father of the actor in the preceding clue.

A-27. He starred in screen adaptations of Pulitzer Prize-winning plays by Eugene O’Neill, Robert E. Sherwood, and Sidney Kingsley.

A-28. “We've been paid to look the other way. I came here to take your money. I brought snapshots to show you so I could get your money. I can't do it; I can't take it. 'Cause if I take the money, I'm lost.”

JAMES CROMWELL?

MORGAN FREEMAN

A-32. “Point is, what's so wonderful is that every one of these flowers has a specific relationship with the insect that pollinates it. There's a certain orchid looks exactly like a certain insect so the insect is drawn to this flower, its double, its soul mate, and wants nothing more than to make love to it. And after the insect flies off, spots another soul-mate flower and makes love to it, thus pollinating it. And neither the flower nor the insect will ever understand the significance of their lovemaking. I mean, how could they know that because of their little dance the world lives?”

A-34. “Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins, they gave me one. Brought it up to me like room service. It was a real choice mission, and when it was over, I never wanted another.”

A-35. He received four Emmy awards for a series in which he reprised a role first played on film by an actor in one of the preceding clues.

JACK NICHOLSON

B-1. The first film to win a competitive Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, it has been cited by Bob Dylan as an inspiration for “Mr. Tambouring Man” and by Kris Kristofferson as an inspiration for “Me and Bobby McGee.”

B-2. “We can get together ... once in a while, way the hell out in the middle of nowhere, but – “
“Once in a while? Every four f**kin' years?”
“If you can't fix it, Jack, you gotta stand it.”

B-4. “They scold Bilbo and think they've fought the good fight for democracy in this country. They haven't got the guts to go from talking to action. One little action on one little front. Sure, I know it’s not the whole answer, but it’s got to start somewhere, and it's got to start with passion. Not pamphlets, not even your series. It's got to be with people. Rich people, poor people, big and little people. And it's got to be quick.”

B-5. Arguably the most controversial movie of 2017, it received both boos and a standing ovation when it premiered at the Venice Film Festival.

B-8. “The woman's house was taken from her because she did not pay her taxes. That happens when one is not responsible.”

FIRESTARTER?

B-10. “It’s showtime!”

BEETLEJUICE

TEN COMMANDMENTS?

B-14. “You bastard!”

B-15. The author of Private Lives took the title of this play and film from a work by the author of “Ozymandias.”

B-17. This adaptation of a Czech novel was ranked #87 on the AFI list of “100 Years … 100 Passions.”

B-18. “You see our grandmother lives in Rosita Beach, see, and she's dying and she’d kinda like to have us be with her when she goes.”

COCOON

B-22. “A beautiful girl can make you dizzy, like you've been drinking Jack and Coke all morning. She can make you feel high full of the single greatest commodity known to man - promise. Promise of a better day. Promise of a greater hope. Promise of a new tomorrow. This particular aura can be found in the gait of a beautiful girl. In her smile, in her soul, the way she makes every rotten little thing about life seem like it's going to be okay. The supermodels, Willy? That's all they are. Bottled promise. Scenes from a brand new day. Hope dancing in stiletto heels.”

B-23. This movie marked the nexus where A Nous la Liberte meets The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.

B-26. “I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it.”

B-27. The author of the novel Psycho stated that his all-time favorite thriller was this French classic – which must surely have annoyed Hitchcock, who had failed to secure the rights to it.

DUNKIRK (I thought about asking what movie was someone from BTS in.)

B-30. “What happened last night?”
“Well, you got drunk and told my dad I'm pregnant, you revealed you have a 15 year old son named Jorge, and oh, apparently you have the hots for my mom.”

B-31. One of the stars of this period black comedy has called it "a funnier, sex driven All About Eve."

B-32. “What more do you want of us? We've come all this way, no thanks to you. We did it on our own, no help from you. We didn’t ask you to fight for us, but damn it, don't fight against us! Leave us alone! How many more sacrifices? How much more blood? How many more lives?”

B-34. “Hi, mum. I know you will be sound asleep. I just want to say that I'm safe. Safe and all the questions have been answered. There are no more dead ends. I found my mother, and she thanks you both for raising me. She understands that you are my family. She's happy, just knowing I'm alive. I found her, but that doesn't change who you are.”

B-35. In between Oscar wins, a distinguished actor found time to direct this adaptation of a classic 19th century American novella.

B-38. “It is a truth universally acknowledged that when one part of your life starts going okay, another falls spectacularly to pieces.”

B-40. “What gift do you think a good servant has that separates them from the others? It’s the gift of anticipation. And I'm a good servant; I'm better than good, I'm the best; I'm the perfect servant. I know when they'll be hungry, and the food is ready. I know when they'll be tired, and the bed is turned down. I know it before they know it themselves.”

B-42. “You don't shoot cops. Even I know that. Eva knows it. The only one who doesn't seem to know is you.”
“All right, Mama. I'm not going to, I promise you. I'm not going to shoot anyone.”
“I never asked you where all this stuff came from, because I didn't want to hear you lie to me.”

DREAMGIRLS

B-46. “Hollywood, they make computers scary things. See how this reminds you of a friendly face? That the disk slot is a goofy grin? It's warm and it's playful and it needs to say ‘hello!’”
“The computer in 2001 said ‘hello’ all the time and it still scared the sh*t out of me.”

B-47. The title characters of this 1960 Italian film were played by two French actors, two Italian actors, and a Greek actor.

B-49. It was the first of three films by the director of the movie in Clue B-13 to receive an Oscar nomination for Best Picture.

B-50. “There's a - there's a danger here. These people are dangerous. They're wild. Listen to me. Listen.”
“I have. Now sit down and don't open your mouth again.”

B-52. “Are you saying you'll flunk us if we don't change the world?
“Well, no. But you might just scrape by with a C.”

PAY IT FORWARD?

STARMAN

B-56. “You come in here, scaring people half to death. You steal cars and motorboats, and you cause damage to private property and you threaten the whole community with grievous bodily harm and maybe murder. Now, we ain't going to take any more of that, see? We may be scared – I know I am - but maybe we ain't so scared as you think we are, see? Now you say you're going to blow up the town, huh? Well, I say, all right! You start shooting, and see what happens!”

B-59. Speaking of Stephen King – as we were back in Clue B-9 – he thought the gut-punch ending of this horror movie was actually better than the one he originally wrote.

THE MIST

SAVING MR. BANKS

B-61. This 1952 thriller set in China was disavowed by its great German director, who would never make another movie in Hollywood.

MY COUSIN VINNY

GUYS AND DOLLS?

B-68. “It's all a front. Explorers searched for it for centuries. El Dorado. The Golden City. They thought they could find it in South America, but it was in Africa the whole time.”

BLACK PANTHER

B-69. Reportedly, Tennessee Williams so disliked this movie that he told people lined up outside the theatre to go home.

“I’m a drunkard.”

mellytu74

#11 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Oh, for heaven's sake.

IAMMMMMMMW

mellytu74

#12 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:47 pm

CLARK GABLE? Idiot's Delight, Strange Interlude and ??

mellytu74

#13 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:11 pm

I misread this earlier:

AKIM TAMIROFF?? I am thinking of The General Died at Dawn but I am not sure on the year - first or second year of the supporting Oscars.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#14 Post by Vandal » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:11 pm

PULP FICTION

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

ToLiveIsToFly

#15 Post by ToLiveIsToFly » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:33 pm

I WANT TO SAY PAUL DANO FOR LOVE & MERCY, BUT ISN'T THAT OLDER THAN 2016?

TOM CRUISE

JASON ROBARDS

UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING?

BLACK DAHLIA?

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:38 pm

franktangredi wrote: B-13. The visual effects that won this movie an Oscar were achieve with the help of some 360,000 gallons of water.

This got me curious. They used two tanks in the making of Titanic, one with about a 350,000 capacity and the other even larger. The Ten Commandments did however send 360,000 gallons of water through tubes for the Red Sea effect. The giveaway here is the second questions. Titanic was James Cameron's first Oscar-nominated film. On the other hand, DeMille's films had been nominated twice before, for The Greatest Show on Earth and for

CLEOPATRA.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

kroxquo

#17 Post by kroxquo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:38 pm

Ed Harris

Bruce Dern?

Tom Cruise

Michael Clarke Duncan?

Martin Sheen

Caroll O'Connor?

Good Ship Lollipop

Firestarter

B-10. “It’s showtime!”

All That Jazz

The Abyss?

The Unbearable Lightness of Being?

The Poseidon Adventure

The Charge of the Light Brigade

One of the Merchant-Ivory Films. Anthony Hopkins said it. Howard's End?

Aliens?

Never Say Never Again

The Mist

Saving Mr. Banks

My Cousin Vinny

“I’m a drunkard.”

Casablanca
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

kroxquo

#18 Post by kroxquo » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:42 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:

ALL THAT JAZZ

lb13
You may be right because on reflection, I think Roy Scheider's actual line is "It's showtime, folks!"
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

mrkelley23

#19 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:09 pm

franktangredi wrote:Game #194: Very Supportive Actors

SIDNEY POITIER?

Shit. Ed Harris, or somebody

Theodore Bikel?

Donald Crisp

Dustin Hoffman?

Humphrey Bogart?

Lloyd Nolan, if so

Donald Sutherland

James Cromwell?

Morgan Freeman

La Strada

Bright Eyes?

Firestarter?

B-10. “It’s showtime!”

Beetlejiuce

This sounds a little like the pretentious shit in King Kong.

B-14. “You bastard!”

The Professionals

Cocoon

The Green Hornet>?

Chicago??

Silent Movie?

Gosford Park

The High and The Mighty

I'll Cry Tomorrow

Never Say Never again

The Mist

Black Dahlia?

My Cousin Vinny

Well, Oklahoma is 1955, I'm pretty sure. But I could have sworn that Shirley Jones and Ado Annie share screen time.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Appa23

#20 Post by Appa23 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:37 pm

Is there a chance that Frank meant an Emmy Award for A-13?

franktangredi

#21 Post by franktangredi » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:35 pm

Appa23 wrote:Is there a chance that Frank meant an Emmy Award for A-13?
None whatsoever. I may have messed up the "It's showtime" reference, but A-13 wasn't a mistake.

mrkelley23

#22 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:59 am

franktangredi wrote:
None whatsoever. I may have messed up the "It's showtime" reference, but A-13 wasn't a mistake.
I think I understand appa's confusion. Lloyd Nolan did not win a Tony for originating the role of Queeg on Broadway, as I thought. He did win an Emmy for it. But I can't find any evidence of anyone winning a Tony for playing Queeg -- and I confirmed that the quote in A-12 is Queeg speaking in the Caine Mutiny. Zeljko Ivanek did get nominated for his role as Queeg in the revival, but did not win.

So unless there's some wordplay in the wording of the clues that I didn't catch, I am also confused.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

franktangredi

#23 Post by franktangredi » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:41 am

mrkelley23 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
I think I understand appa's confusion. Lloyd Nolan did not win a Tony for originating the role of Queeg on Broadway, as I thought. He did win an Emmy for it. But I can't find any evidence of anyone winning a Tony for playing Queeg -- and I confirmed that the quote in A-12 is Queeg speaking in the Caine Mutiny. Zeljko Ivanek did get nominated for his role as Queeg in the revival, but did not win.

So unless there's some wordplay in the wording of the clues that I didn't catch, I am also confused.
CRAP! This is what happens when I go strictly from memory. I had it firmly fixed in my head that Nolan won the Tony. My apologies!

mrkelley23

#24 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:30 am

franktangredi wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:

CRAP! This is what happens when I go strictly from memory. I had it firmly fixed in my head that Nolan won the Tony. My apologies!
I obviously had the same false memory in my head. Mandela Effect?

mellytu74

#25 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:16 pm

I am REALLY tired (need a vacation from our semi-vacation :) ) But some notes

Lloyd Nolan played Officer McShayne in the film version of my favorite book - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn with Supporting Oscar winner James Dunn (B-3. BRIGHT EYES)

He was in Hannah and Her Sisters - so there's Caine and Wiest (I don't see movie matches but I will bet they show up)

He was in Airport with Helen Hayes (My Son John)

Pollyanna has Oscar winners - Malden, Crisp, Wyman.

Donald Crisp supported Bette Davis (The Letter) in Jezebel