No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17936
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:57 pm

If you will note today's MLB schedule, there were only 12 games played today on the Fourth of July. I can't ever remember teams not playing on July 4 unless there was a rainout. But the Mets, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Giants, Orioles, and Astros were off today. And since the Yankees were on the road, that meant that there was no game in New York City today. To make matters worse, one of the teams that was at home today was Toronto, the one team in the majors for which the Fourth does not have special significance. This continues the pattern started on Memorial Day, when the Braves had the day off.

I realize that the Fourth fell on a Thursday this year, which is often an off-day, but I'm sure that with a little effort the schedule makers could have worked around that. There just seems something wrong with 20% of the teams of the major leagues of the national pastime having the day off on the nation's birthday.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19270
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:44 am

silverscreenselect wrote:If you will note today's MLB schedule, there were only 12 games played today on the Fourth of July. I can't ever remember teams not playing on July 4 unless there was a rainout. But the Mets, Rockies, Diamondbacks, Giants, Orioles, and Astros were off today. And since the Yankees were on the road, that meant that there was no game in New York City today. To make matters worse, one of the teams that was at home today was Toronto, the one team in the majors for which the Fourth does not have special significance. This continues the pattern started on Memorial Day, when the Braves had the day off.

I realize that the Fourth fell on a Thursday this year, which is often an off-day, but I'm sure that with a little effort the schedule makers could have worked around that. There just seems something wrong with 20% of the teams of the major leagues of the national pastime having the day off on the nation's birthday.
On the plus side, it did give Jeff McNeil of the Mets to judge the annual hot dog eating contest at Nathan's. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Estonut
Evil Genius
Posts: 9902
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#3 Post by Estonut » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:59 am

silverscreenselect wrote:...Toronto, the one team in the majors for which the Fourth does not have special significance.
Since 72.5% of Toronto's 40-Man Roster are Americans, I suspect the Fourth of July might have more significance to the team than you claim.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:17 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#4 Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:06 am

It was the first time since 1941 for the Giants not playing on the 4th. They had played 20 days in a row and that is the maximum allowed by union rules.

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19270
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:31 am

MarkBarrett wrote:It was the first time since 1941 for the Giants not playing on the 4th. They had played 20 days in a row and that is the maximum allowed by union rules.
To be more precise, the maximum allowed by the collective bargaining agreement. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Ritterskoop
Posts: 5378
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#6 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:37 am

Bob78164 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:It was the first time since 1941 for the Giants not playing on the 4th. They had played 20 days in a row and that is the maximum allowed by union rules.
To be more precise, the maximum allowed by the collective bargaining agreement. --Bob
I fail to see the need for this distinction. Mark's phrase told the story well enough. Most people understand that the "rules" could change with the next CBA.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

User avatar
silverscreenselect
Posts: 17936
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:21 pm
Contact:

Re: No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:36 am

MarkBarrett wrote:It was the first time since 1941 for the Giants not playing on the 4th. They had played 20 days in a row and that is the maximum allowed by union rules.
With all the computers they've got, somebody at MLB could have figured out a way to give the Giants a Monday or Thursday off in the preceding three weeks.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

User avatar
triviawayne
Posts: 558
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:38 am

Re: No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#8 Post by triviawayne » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:14 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:It was the first time since 1941 for the Giants not playing on the 4th. They had played 20 days in a row and that is the maximum allowed by union rules.
With all the computers they've got, somebody at MLB could have figured out a way to give the Giants a Monday or Thursday off in the preceding three weeks.
some stadiums are used for more than just baseball, so maybe they couldn't, or didn't care since they obviously had other teams off on the 4th.

This entire thread has yet to mention how Friday/Saturday/Sunday is the most preferred days of the week for a full series to be played.

User avatar
littlebeast13
Dumbass
Posts: 30265
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:20 pm
Location: Between the Suavitel and Fabuloso
Contact:

Re: No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#9 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:01 am

triviawayne wrote:This entire thread has yet to mention how Friday/Saturday/Sunday is the most preferred days of the week for a full series to be played.

And yet four teams aren't playing today because putting 2 game interleague series on Saturday/Sunday has become a thing since the extra days off were added a couple years ago...
SSS wrote:...Toronto, the one team in the majors for which the Fourth does not have special significance.
Esto wrote:Since 72.5% of Toronto's 40-Man Roster are Americans, I suspect the Fourth of July might have more significance to the team than you claim.

If it was significant at all to Toronto's American players, I'd assume they'd rather be playing in the US on the Fourth... though I doubt they really care one way or the other. Toronto's fans surely don't care...

Interestingly, I figured Toronto was at home Thursday because of the fact that they always request being at home for Canada Day on the 1st. But that game was the finale of a wrap-around four game series from over the weekend. It's somewhat puzzling scheduling, though as a "let the chips fall where they may" kind of person, I'd rather there be that random chance that teams have a holiday off if it falls on a Monday or Thursday...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19270
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:16 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:It was the first time since 1941 for the Giants not playing on the 4th. They had played 20 days in a row and that is the maximum allowed by union rules.
To be more precise, the maximum allowed by the collective bargaining agreement. --Bob
I fail to see the need for this distinction. Mark's phrase told the story well enough. Most people understand that the "rules" could change with the next CBA.
As written it suggests that the union had the power to impose that rule unilaterally. And I've been on the Bored long enough to believe that there are people here who would believe the incorrect inference. So I took a moment to provide both more precision and more accuracy, which I didn't imagine would be a problem, particularly on a Bored nominally devoted to trivia knowledge. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!
Posts: 20244
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:36 pm
Location: God's Country

Re: No Baseball on the Fourth of July?

#11 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:14 pm

The Rockies almost always have Thursday off. This was annoying to SteelersFan on the Fourth, who somehow has become RockiesFan rather than PiratesFan.

NB Pennsylvanians, he will never be BroncosFan.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Post Reply