Transcript 5/10/2019 - Matt Higgins (Shark Tank week)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/10/2019 - Matt Higgins (Shark Tank week)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Mon May 13, 2019 2:51 pm

SHARK TANK WEEK

Matt Higgins

Matt is playing for Autism Speaks.

$500: According to modern business slang, if you're a member of the "Unicorn Club," what have you done?
A - caught a unicorn
B - successfully bred a unicorn
C - been granted three wishes by a unicorn
D - founded a start-up worth over $1 billion
Spoiler
Answer: D (founded a start-up worth over $1 billion)

$1000: In the classic game Battleship, which of these is NOT one of the five types of floating vessels players place on their boards?
A - aircraft carrier
B - battleship
C - submarine
D - stand-up paddleboard
Spoiler
Answer: D (stand-up paddleboard)

$2000: Hailed by Forbes as one of the most powerful women in business, Rosalind Brewer is the aptly-named COO of what company?
A - Petco
B - Starbucks
C - Macy's
D - Staples
Spoiler
Answer: B (Starbucks)

$3000: What New York Mets outfielder has a first and last name that are both also names of U.S. state capitals?
A - Austin Jackson
B - Madison Bumgarner
C - Juan Pierre
D - Jordan Montgomery

Matt grew up in Queens and is a Mets fan but he doesn't know this. He doesn't think
Spoiler
Bumgarner and Jordan
are state capitals. He asks the audience.
Spoiler
Ask the Audience results:
A - 95%
B - 3%
C - 1%
D - 1%

Matt realizes that
Spoiler
Jackson is a state capital
Spoiler
Answer: A (Austin Jackson)

commercial break

$5000: The mainlands of New Zealand, Iceland and Ireland (supposedly thanks to Saint Patrick) are thought to have no native species of which of these creatures?
A - butterflies
B - snakes
C - spiders
D - cows

Matt has been to Iceland and Ireland. He doesn't make the connection regarding St. Patrick, so he calls on his +1, Kim. She thinks
Spoiler
St. Patrick had something to do with snakes and she wouldn't call butterflies or cows "creatures". New Zealand is famous for its dairy products
. Matt is struggling with choosing an answer but he decides to make
Spoiler
B
his final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: B (snakes)

commercial break

$7000: In 2017, what rocker closed out the final show of his 40th anniversary tour with "American Girl," just a week before his death at age 66?
A - John Mellencamp
B - Eric Clapton
C - Bob Seger
D - Tom Petty

This what he wanted to use his +1 for but he'll have to work it out for himself. He does know that
Spoiler
Tom Petty
recently passed away. He opts to use his 50:50.
Spoiler
"50:50 results": C & D

Matt's glad he did it.
Spoiler
Answer: D (Tom Petty)

$10,000: Similar in meaning to the American phrase "I couldn't care less," what is the literal translation of the German idiom "Das is mir Wurst"?
A - my concern flew away
B - you're making me sleepy
C - it's sausage to me
D - I have real problems

Matt says he can eliminate
Spoiler
A and D, and says that C doesn't make any sense. But he makes that his final answer anyway. Then it dawns on him what "wurst" means
Spoiler
Answer: C (it's sausage to me)

$20,000: There are more of which one of these things than all of the other choices combined?
A - elements on the periodic table
B - stores in the Mall of America
C - "Seinfeld" episodes
D - countries in the United Nations

Matt doesn't know how many there are in each answer so he goes with the one that's most interesting and counterintuitive, shocking and odd.
Spoiler
Answer: B (stores in the Mall of America)

Chris says there are more than 520 stores in the mall.

commercial break

MILLIONAIRE "QUESTION OF THE DAY": Though it probably would have sold fewer tickets, "The Hangover" could have gone by what scientific name?
A - The Edema
B - The Neuralgia
C - The Angina
D - The Veisalgia
Spoiler
Answer: D (The Veisalgia)

commercial break

$30,000: If you're stuck without a ruler, it's helpful to know that how many pennies stacked flat on top of each other equal about 1 inch, and laid flat in a row equal exactly 1 foot?
A - 10
B - 16
C - 24
D - 30

Matt says he's going to get this right and take the time to get it. Chris tells him he has to make the call, so Matt decides to walk away.
Spoiler
Answer: B (16)