In Case Anyone Forgot My Hatred for "Dunkirk"

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Post Reply
Message
Author
Spock
Posts: 2975
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

In Case Anyone Forgot My Hatred for "Dunkirk"

#1 Post by Spock » Fri May 10, 2019 9:56 am

https://thesmokeofathousandcampfires.bl ... ism-i.html

I wrote this essay a few months ago and just decided to post it at "Campfires"

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19215
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: In Case Anyone Forgot My Hatred for "Dunkirk"

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Just curious, Spock, and I honestly don't know (or remember) the answer to this question. Did you ever serve in uniform? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
jarnon
Posts: 5199
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:52 pm
Location: Merion, Pa.

Re: In Case Anyone Forgot My Hatred for "Dunkirk"

#3 Post by jarnon » Fri May 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Some reviewers have said Dunkirk fits better in the horror movie genre. "The Enemy" is more like Freddy or Jason than Germans.

Here's an example (though the critic is OK with it):
Dunkirk Is A Horror Movie

User avatar
franktangredi
Posts: 5927
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:34 pm

Re: In Case Anyone Forgot My Hatred for "Dunkirk"

#4 Post by franktangredi » Fri May 10, 2019 12:52 pm

I think it's preferable to judge movies by how well they do what they are trying to do, rather than by their not doing what you think they should be doing.

User avatar
Ritterskoop
Posts: 5378
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:16 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: In Case Anyone Forgot My Hatred for "Dunkirk"

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri May 10, 2019 3:08 pm

franktangredi wrote:I think it's preferable to judge movies by how well they do what they are trying to do, rather than by their not doing what you think they should be doing.
Valid. I learned this when I saw a movie 25 years ago called Darkman. I thought it was going to be a comic book, Batman-style thing. It turned out to be sloppier, with green screen I could see a couple of times.

I complained to our papers' movie reviewer, who said it is all about your expectations. He went in with none, and enjoyed Darkman very much. He was able to see it for whatever it was. I expected more, and didn't get it.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Spock
Posts: 2975
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:01 pm

Re: In Case Anyone Forgot My Hatred for "Dunkirk"

#6 Post by Spock » Fri May 10, 2019 3:24 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Just curious, Spock, and I honestly don't know (or remember) the answer to this question. Did you ever serve in uniform? --Bob
A few days ago, I started to write a long essay on that topic, but I got drawn away, but this short version answers your question,

https://thesmokeofathousandcampfires.bl ... -know.html

Also ICYMI-here is my essay on a movie that (IMO) does a better job of showing what war is like.

My essay on "The Lighthorsemen" over at Running Iron Report.

https://runningironreport.com/film-book ... sculinity/

Key quote from the essay--
<<I have never been to war, but to my core I believe that The Lighthorsemen shows a truer picture of war than Dunkirk. Men die, but they have fun and they laugh and they ride naked on horseback into the Mediterranean."<<

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
For Frank-Dunkirk's goal was to show that War is Hell and they achieved that goal with flying colors.

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19215
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: In Case Anyone Forgot My Hatred for "Dunkirk"

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:08 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:
franktangredi wrote:I think it's preferable to judge movies by how well they do what they are trying to do, rather than by their not doing what you think they should be doing.
Valid. I learned this when I saw a movie 25 years ago called Darkman. I thought it was going to be a comic book, Batman-style thing. It turned out to be sloppier, with green screen I could see a couple of times.

I complained to our papers' movie reviewer, who said it is all about your expectations. He went in with none, and enjoyed Darkman very much. He was able to see it for whatever it was. I expected more, and didn't get it.
That's the same experience I had with (the original) Star Wars. I walked in expecting a science fiction movie. I got a fairy tale. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
Bob78164
Bored Moderator
Posts: 19215
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:02 pm
Location: By the phone

Re: In Case Anyone Forgot My Hatred for "Dunkirk"

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Spock wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Just curious, Spock, and I honestly don't know (or remember) the answer to this question. Did you ever serve in uniform? --Bob
A few days ago, I started to write a long essay on that topic, but I got drawn away, but this short version answers your question,

https://thesmokeofathousandcampfires.bl ... -know.html
Thanks for the response. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply