Sri Lanka vs New Zealand

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Sri Lanka vs New Zealand

#1 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:57 am

Obama and Clinton just can't say the word "Christian"
Pathetic folks who tried and wanted to lead a nation whose majority religion is Christianity. But they just can't acknowledge the global attacks on Christians. Why? Because they support the attacks on Christianity domestically. To them we are just a bunch of Easter worshippers.

Link
Former (thankfully) President Barack Obama wrote:Michelle and I send our condolences to the people of New Zealand. We grieve with you and the Muslim community
Link
The attacks on tourists and Easter worshippers in Sri Lanka are an attack on humanity. On a day devoted to love, redemption, and renewal, we pray for the victims and stand with the people of Sri Lanka.
Link
Never (thankfully) president Hillary Clinton wrote:My heart breaks for New Zealand & the global Muslim community. We must continue to fight the perpetuation and normalization of Islamophobia and racism in all its forms
Link
On this holy weekend for many faiths, we must stand united against hatred and violence. I'm praying for everyone affected by today's horrific attacks on Easter worshippers and travelers in Sri Lanka.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

tlynn78

Re: Sri Lanka vs New Zealand

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:22 am

How many Muslims do you suppose will be wearing a cross necklace in support of their Christian brethren, like the New Zealanders who wore headscarves in support of the mosque victims?
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

franktangredi

#3 Post by franktangredi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:26 am

tlynn78 wrote:How many Muslims do you suppose will be wearing a cross necklace in support of their Christian brethren, like the New Zealanders who wore headscarves in support of the mosque victims?
WHO THE HELL CARES??????

The point is that we should all be appalled by all these actions, not trying to score points by saying that 'my response is more compassionate than your response.'

This US and THEM bullshit is a big part of the damn problem!

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:30 am

They also didn't use the word "Christian" when they expressed their sorrow for the Notre Dame and Louisiana church fires. But their messages were clear anyway. And they don't support attacks on Christianity in the U.S.

BTW, nobody blamed Christians as a group for the New Zealand attack, or the Pittsburgh synagogue massacre. Likewise, the whole Muslim world isn't to blame for this atrocity.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mrkelley23

#5 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:32 am

edit.
Last edited by mrkelley23 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:44 am

mrkelley23 wrote:I can't believe I spent even this much time responding to this nonsense. Reminds me why I quit participating in anything but games here. Should have learned that lesson better, I guess.
It’s important to push back on bullshit like this because otherwise passers by get the impression that it’s acceptable here. Just remember, your audience is never the people writing this crap. It’s always the people who don’t pay much attention, see a specious argument, and think to themselves, “Hey, there may be something to that.” That’s whom you’re writing for. I’m glad you did, and I think the return is worth the effort. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:46 am

Mark Steyn's column on this.

https://www.steynonline.com/9317/taqiyya-for-easter

Pull quote>>>The lights are going out on the most basic of journalistic instincts: Who, what, when, where, why. All are subordinate to the Narrative - or Official Lie. All day yesterday and into today, if you had glanced at the telly, switched on the radio or surfed the big news sites of the Internet, you would have thought the Tamil Tigers were back "with a vengeance"<<<<

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:52 am

franktangredi wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:How many Muslims do you suppose will be wearing a cross necklace in support of their Christian brethren, like the New Zealanders who wore headscarves in support of the mosque victims?
WHO THE HELL CARES??????

The point is that we should all be appalled by all these actions, not trying to score points by saying that 'my response is more compassionate than your response.'

Kumbaya, my Lord!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Spock

#9 Post by Spock » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:54 am

Bob78164 wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:I can't believe I spent even this much time responding to this nonsense. Reminds me why I quit participating in anything but games here. Should have learned that lesson better, I guess.
It’s important to push back on bullshit like this because otherwise passers by get the impression that it’s acceptable here. Just remember, your audience is never the people writing this crap. It’s always the people who don’t pay much attention, see a specious argument, and think to themselves, “Hey, there may be something to that.” That’s whom you’re writing for. I’m glad you did, and I think the return is worth the effort. —Bob
Ah, your great unseen audience again. Delusions of Grandeur much?

silverscreenselect

#10 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:24 pm

BackInTex wrote:Obama and Clinton just can't say the word "Christian"
Pathetic folks who tried and wanted to lead a nation whose majority religion is Christianity. But they just can't acknowledge the global attacks on Christians. Why? Because they support the attacks on Christianity domestically. To them we are just a bunch of Easter worshippers.
Of all the non-issue right wing silliness I've heard lately, this about takes the cake. Twitter limits the number of characters in a tweet and puts a premium on being succinct. The use of the phrase "Easter worshippers" has a dual connotation to me and to everyone who isn't obsessed with Obama and the Clintons. Of course, Easter worshippers are Christians. But the attack also took place on one of the holiest days in the year, one which was calculated to inflict maximum pain and casualties. By mentioning Easter, both Clinton and Obama brought that up. Now I guess they could have said, "Christians who were in church for Easter services" or something like that, which would have been much wordier and far less to the point.

You forgot to mention that Donald Trump, when not talking about the 138 million who were killed in the explosions, never used the words "Easter" or "Christian." I guess he couldn't bring himself to acknowledge the global attack on Christians either.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Ritterskoop

#11 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:27 pm

Spock wrote:
Pull quote>>> if you had glanced at the telly, switched on the radio or surfed the big news sites of the Internet, you would have thought the Tamil Tigers were back "with a vengeance"<<<<
Maybe he should consider other sources for news? I read three stories by the Associated Press on this topic that did not have any particular political slant, best I could tell.

As consumers, we take ownership of what we consume. So it's on us to make better choices, in this case, news sources that do follow the 5Ws.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

franktangredi

#12 Post by franktangredi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:39 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
WHO THE HELL CARES??????

Kumbaya, my Lord!
That's as good an admission of an inability to come up with a rational response as I've ever seen.

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:44 pm

franktangredi wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
WHO THE HELL CARES??????

Kumbaya, my Lord!
That's as good an admission of an inability to come up with a rational response as I've ever seen.
Really? Because your response simply agreed with my post. "we should all be appalled by all these actions" - shouldn't we All show the same level of 'support' for the victims, then? smh

franktangredi

#14 Post by franktangredi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:51 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:

Kumbaya, my Lord!
Really? Because your response simply agreed with my post. "we should all be appalled by all these actions" - shouldn't we All show the same level of 'support' for the victims, then? smh
I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I didn't realize you were one of the people who wore a headscarf in support of the mosque victims.

tlynn78

#15 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:03 pm

franktangredi wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I didn't realize you were one of the people who wore a headscarf in support of the mosque victims.
Never claimed to, sweetie. I simply wondered if the Muslim community in Sri Lanka would show the same type of support as the Christian community in New Zealand did. Try to untwist those knickers a bit.

franktangredi

#16 Post by franktangredi » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:09 pm

tlynn78 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
Never claimed to, sweetie. I simply wondered if the Muslim community in Sri Lanka would show the same type of support as the Christian community in New Zealand did. Try to untwist those knickers a bit.
I've noticed that the "untwist your knickers" line has become another one of those cliche responses. So has calling someone "sweetie." I'm not buying the disingenuous act. At least take ownership of it instead of trying to weasel out of it by shifting the attention to my knickers. Believe me, if they were twisted, I would know long before you did.

tlynn78

#17 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:15 pm

franktangredi wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:
franktangredi wrote:
I've noticed that the "untwist your knickers" line has become another one of those cliche responses. So has calling someone "sweetie." I'm not buying the disingenuous act. At least take ownership of it instead of trying to weasel out of it by shifting the attention to my knickers. Believe me, if they were twisted, I would know long before you did.
Avoiding the actual point of the post is another cliche.

silverscreenselect

#18 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Sri Lanka is approximately 70% Buddhist, 13% Hindu, 10% Muslim, and 7% Christian. So, there aren't that many Muslims in Sri Lanka to show support of anyone.

And here's what Muslim organizations in Sri Lanka have said about the bombings:
On behalf of the Sri Lankan Muslim community, we offer our condolences to the people of Christian faith and extend our hands of friendship in solidarity
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/south ... de-strikes

BackInTex

#19 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Matt Walsh says it better than I did, of course.
Barack Obama said "...Easter worshippers..."

Hillary Clinton seemed to be working literally from the same script: "...Easter worshippers..."

Several other Democrats latched onto this same phrase — "Easter worshippers." If just one of them had gone this route, perhaps I could be convinced that it might be clumsy wording and nothing more. But it is simply impossible to believe that several significant Democrats would all independently and innocently think to refer to Christian victims in such a roundabout and obscure way.
I have been a Christian all my life and if I've ever heard the term "Easter worshipper," or something like it, it would have been in reference to Christians who only go to church on Christmas and Easter. Generally we call those types "Christmas and Easter Christians" or "CEOs" (Christmas and Easter Only). But the general mass of people who show up to worship on Easter have always, in my experience, just been called Christians.
It would be technically accurate to use a label like "Passover observers" in the place of "Jews" and "Ramadan commemorators" for "Muslims," but I can't imagine why anyone would be so unnecessarily vague and wordy. Unless, of course, there is some reason why they don't want to explicitly acknowledge the group in question. And that appears to be the case here.
No rational person could fail to notice a stark contrast between these statements [tweets about New Zealand] and the ones issued in response to nearly 300 butchered Christians on Easter Sunday. They both make sure to use the word "Muslim." Clinton goes further and ropes in "Islamophobia" and "[w]hite supremacist terrorists." Not only does she omit "Christian" from her comments on Sri Lanka, but she certainly says nothing about "Christophobia" and "Islamic terrorists."
This fact [Christians are among the most persecuted groups on the planet.]— that Christians are not only a victim group, but are one of the most victimized groups — is extraordinarily inconvenient for Democrats, who have structured their whole agenda around their victimhood narrative. By their telling, racial minorities, women, homosexuals, and Muslims are The Victims while white men and Christians are The Bad Guys. This dichotomy would be thrown wildly out of balance and sent into disarray if Christians were admitted into the victim column — especially because they are so often victimized by Muslim extremists.
No, the Democrats can't have that. So they usually ignore the genocide of Christians, and often enact policies that make it worse. And when they are forced, on the rare occasion, to acknowledge an attack of this sort, they will do it without saying anything that might give ignorant Americans the impression that there is a real systematic problem of Christians being constantly blown up and murdered by Muslim extremists. But the systematic problem is real, even if these conniving cowards won't admit it.
And to the poster who asked, does it matter if not all the victims were Christians? Christians were the target. You can not honestly deny that. Muslim extremist terrorists have never cared about collateral damage. It doesn't change their target if some others are killed.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:55 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sri Lanka is approximately 70% Buddhist, 13% Hindu, 10% Muslim, and 7% Christian. So, there aren't that many Muslims in Sri Lanka to show support of anyone.

And here's what Muslim organizations in Sri Lanka have said about the bombings:
On behalf of the Sri Lankan Muslim community, we offer our condolences to the people of Christian faith and extend our hands of friendship in solidarity
https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/south ... de-strikes
This post isn't about the Muslim community and their response. I applaud that response. This post is about two powerful Democratic people who refused to acknowledge the attack as being on Christians by Muslim extremists when they are quick to acknowledge attacks on Muslims, when the attack is by whites.

It is a point not lost on me and most Christians, but of course water on a duck's back to you.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:07 pm

BackInTex wrote: It is a point not lost on me and most Christians, but of course water on a duck's back to you.

By "most Christians," you mean the hard core Trump supporting, anti-Obama, anti-Clinton fringe that's looking for anything to use against Obama and the Clintons to prove whatever point they want to make at that time.

Here's something from Reason Magazine, which is a somewhat conservative albeit libertarian publication:
These barbs are little more than partisan point-scoring. The reference to "Easter worshippers," while perhaps clumsy phrasing, is hard to see as anything but an attempt to highlight the religious motivations of these attacks, and the fact that they struck at Christian churchgoers as they were peacefully observing a religious holiday. What else is an Easter worshipper but a Christian?

Indeed, President Donald Trump's failure to say the word "Christian" in his tweeted response to these attacks attracted notably less outrage. Silly as this is, it is nevertheless an incredibly predictable response, whereby any tragedy around the globe is quickly filtered through the lens U.S. domestic politics as a way of opportunistically attacking one's partisan opponents. Often these attacks will seize on the most innocuous words or phrases in an effort to convert someone's expressions of sympathy or sadness into dog whistles to a much more nefarious agenda.

I can't help but think that bickering over the precise phrases we need to use in the aftermath of the terroristic violence in Sri Lanka, even if it's not being done for cynical or partisan reasons, is not the best way to express sympathy for the victims or their families.
https://reason.com/2019/04/22/conservat ... n-attacks/

BackInTex

#22 Post by BackInTex » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:18 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
BackInTex wrote: It is a point not lost on me and most Christians, but of course water on a duck's back to you.

By "most Christians," you mean the hard core Trump supporting, anti-Obama, anti-Clinton fringe that's looking for anything to use against Obama and the Clintons to prove whatever point they want to make at that time.

Here's something from Reason Magazine, which is a somewhat conservative albeit libertarian publication:
These barbs are little more than partisan point-scoring. The reference to "Easter worshippers," while perhaps clumsy phrasing, is hard to see as anything but an attempt to highlight the religious motivations of these attacks, and the fact that they struck at Christian churchgoers as they were peacefully observing a religious holiday. What else is an Easter worshipper but a Christian?

Indeed, President Donald Trump's failure to say the word "Christian" in his tweeted response to these attacks attracted notably less outrage. Silly as this is, it is nevertheless an incredibly predictable response, whereby any tragedy around the globe is quickly filtered through the lens U.S. domestic politics as a way of opportunistically attacking one's partisan opponents. Often these attacks will seize on the most innocuous words or phrases in an effort to convert someone's expressions of sympathy or sadness into dog whistles to a much more nefarious agenda.

I can't help but think that bickering over the precise phrases we need to use in the aftermath of the terroristic violence in Sri Lanka, even if it's not being done for cynical or partisan reasons, is not the best way to express sympathy for the victims or their families.
https://reason.com/2019/04/22/conservat ... n-attacks/
If it had been one or the other, nothing. The fact that both, along with others apparently (though I haven't seen them) it is an obvious attempt to avoid the word Christian. Obvious.

As Matt said, he's never heard the term used aside from maybe for "CEOs". And perhaps yes, what else are Easter Worshippers. So it was an accurate, and coordinated, term to use instead of Christians. The point of this thread.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#23 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:54 pm

BackInTex wrote: So it was an accurate, and coordinated, term to use instead of Christians. The point of this thread.
You're probably right that it was "coordinated" in the sense that one of them probably read the other one's tweet (or some similar expression of sympathy) and it consciously or unconsciously influenced the choice of words when the other one composed his or her tweet because it seemed like a good shorthand way of making the point. I highly doubt that it was a coordinated intent to denigrate Christians but rather the idea that once you read it one place, it's easy to use it somewhere else.

I'm reminded of a public speaking class I took in college. One of the assignments was to make an introductory speech for someone at a banquet. We were given the key details about the person's career and then had to make a one-minute intro. The professor recorded the speeches and played them back when we finished. Somehow, about halfway through the various intros, someone used the words "Without further ado..." From that point on, every one that followed used those words in his introduction (including me). No, it wasn't a case of all of us getting together and deciding to use the language but that we slipped naturally into it because it seemed "right" once the first person said it.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#24 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:58 pm

Spock wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Ah, your great unseen audience again. Delusions of Grandeur much?
Then please feel free to continue exemplifying what’s become of the modern Republican Party. If you’re right, no one at all will notice. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:04 pm

And here's your source of the phrase "Easter Worshippers," an Associated Press story about Notre Dame from April 20, the day before the Sri Lanka attack and widely distributed by AP, including in the Washington Post, which I can't cite to because I've used my quota of articles for the month:

Tourists, Easter worshippers lament closure of Notre Dame