Game #185: Resistance Is Futile!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mellytu74

Re: Game #185: Resistance Is Futile!

#51 Post by mellytu74 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:45 pm

40. Johnny Long, 6. Michael Crawford, 83. George Jackson

(FL) Johnny Crawford (Rifleman)
(LL) Crawford Long (Anesthesia)
(FF) George Michael (Faith)
(FL) Michael Jackson (Neverland)

61. Steve Van Buren, 16. Dick Martin 85. Phillip Morris

(FL) Steve Martin (Jerk)
(LL) Martin Van Buren (OK)
(FF) Phillip Dick (Sheep)
(FL) Dick Morris (Clinton)

jarnon

#52 Post by jarnon » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:46 pm

mellytu74 wrote:12. The most important work of this British idealist philosopher was an 1893 study about the gap between appearances and reality.

might be Andrew Bradley. Which, matched with Cooper goes with Sniper

EDITED: Although we have James Fennimore Cooper - we don't need this to be Peter Cooper.
You're right.

12. Andrew Bradley, 101. James Fennimore Cooper
(FL) James Bradley (Astronomer)
(LL) Bradley Cooper (Sniper)
(FF) _ Andrew
(FL) Andrew _
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#53 Post by franktangredi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:37 am

jarnon wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:12. The most important work of this British idealist philosopher was an 1893 study about the gap between appearances and reality.

EDITED: Although we have James Fennimore Cooper - we don't need this to be Peter Cooper.
You're right.

(FF) _ Andrew
(FL) Andrew _
I think you've given someone the wrong first name here.

mellytu74

#54 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:47 am

franktangredi wrote:
jarnon wrote:

You're right.

(FF) _ Andrew
(FL) Andrew _
I think you've given someone the wrong first name here.
It's FRANCIS BRADLEY, not Andrew. My fault for trying to multitask.

Was looking for a Kay Francis word - went right past "One Way" Passage - which is what I was looking for.

2. Francis Bradley, 101. James Fennimore Cooper 59. Kay Thompson
(FF) Kay Francis (One Way)
(FL) Francis Thompson (Hound)

mellytu74

#55 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:44 pm

I think the time has come where research is not cheating.

15. While Victoria was still on the throne, this English writer helped lead the charge against Victorianism with a satirical utopian novel and a cynical, semi-autobiographical bildungsroman.

Samuel Butler?

29. This American scientist became embroiled in several nasty disputes, claiming retroactive priority over discoveries and inventions made by – among others – Samuel F.B. Morse and William T.G. Morton.

Charles Thomas Jackson

43. A leading figure in the transition from Federal architecture to Greek Revival, he designed many New England homes and also authored the first American pattern books, such as 1830’s Practical House Carpenter.

Asher Benjamin

65. Considered by Milton Friedman to be America’s greatest economist, he played a major role in developing the quantity theory of money, but his reputation did suffer major damage when he declared that the stock market had reached a “permanently high plateau” – in 1929.

Irving Fisher

72. This Victorian illustrator and caricaturist helped create our images of what Fagin, Bill Sikes, and Mr. Bumble look like.

Robert Seymour?

76. In addition to building the first American steam locomotive and operating the first U.S. ferry service, this inventor also played a major role in establishing U.S. patent law.

John Jervis??

87. In 1953, this political theorist published a book that played a large role in shaping the modern American conservative movement; toward the end of his life, he became a vocal critic of Republican militarism and U.S. involvement in the Gulf War.

Russell Kirk

94. This crime lord once said, “I wanted to be rich. I wanted to be Donald Trump rich, and so help me God, I made it" – but, despite some claims, he probably didn’t make it by smuggling drugs in the coffins of dead American soldiers.

Frank Lucas

jarnon

#56 Post by jarnon » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:10 pm

mellytu74 wrote:94. This crime lord once said, “I wanted to be rich. I wanted to be Donald Trump rich, and so help me God, I made it" – but, despite some claims, he probably didn’t make it by smuggling drugs in the coffins of dead American soldiers.

Frank Lucas
Lucas McCain is the Rifleman, but I can't find a McCain in this game.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#57 Post by franktangredi » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:45 pm

jarnon wrote:Lucas McCain is the Rifleman, but I can't find a McCain in this game.
Thank God, or I would have been accused of killing him.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#58 Post by Estonut » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:42 am

jarnon wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:94. This crime lord once said, “I wanted to be rich. I wanted to be Donald Trump rich, and so help me God, I made it" – but, despite some claims, he probably didn’t make it by smuggling drugs in the coffins of dead American soldiers.

Frank Lucas
Aren't these all real people? Lucas McCain was a character portrayed by Chuck Connors.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Pastor Fireball

#59 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:19 am

91. This poet was the 17th successor to the poet in Clue #5, but he became a dirty word to some who blamed him for the death of another poet.

I was pretty sure this was TED HUGHES (husband of Sylvia Plath), but I had to count the Poets Laureate to make sure that he was indeed #18 in the chronological list.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

franktangredi

#60 Post by franktangredi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:53 am

Estonut wrote:
jarnon wrote:

Frank Lucas
Aren't these all real people? Lucas McCain was a character portrayed by Chuck Connors.
They are never all real people, as you can tell by the presence of several fictional characters on the list.

mellytu74

#61 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:20 am

franktangredi wrote:
Estonut wrote:
jarnon wrote:Lucas McCain is the Rifleman, but I can't find a McCain in this game.
They are never all real people, as you can tell by the presence of several fictional characters on the list.
We've already matched Johnny Crawford (who played Connors' son) with Rifleman, so this may be moot.

Or not.

mrkelley23

#62 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:24 am

Sorry I haven't been back to work on this more. My qualifying exam for my doctoral degree is due in 8 days, so I'm stressing.

Here are the pieces I was working with before I posted the other day:

68. Paul Taylor, 77. Howard Dean

Paul Dean (Daffy)

10. William Clark, 82. Tony Bennett

William Bennett (Virtue)

70. Gale Gordon, 25. Dorothy Sayers

Gale Sayers (Piccolo)
Dorothy Gale (Oz)

21. or 24. Brian or Bill Wilson, 46. George Pickett

Wilson Pickett (Wicked)

50. Elizabeth Ryan, 68. Paul Taylor OR 71. James Taylor

Elizabeth Taylor (Last Summer)
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mellytu74

#63 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:51 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Sorry I haven't been back to work on this more. My qualifying exam for my doctoral degree is due in 8 days, so I'm stressing.

Here are the pieces I was working with before I posted the other day:

68. Paul Taylor, 77. Howard Dean

Paul Dean (Daffy)

10. William Clark, 82. Tony Bennett

William Bennett (Virtue)

70. Gale Gordon, 25. Dorothy Sayers

Gale Sayers (Piccolo)
Dorothy Gale (Oz)

21. or 24. Brian or Bill Wilson, 46. George Pickett

Wilson Pickett (Wicked)

50. Elizabeth Ryan, 68. Paul Taylor OR 71. James Taylor

Elizabeth Taylor (Last Summer)
This gives me some answers I've been looking for.

Be back soon.

Pastor Fireball

#64 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:53 am

mellytu74 wrote:72. This Victorian illustrator and caricaturist helped create our images of what Fagin, Bill Sikes, and Mr. Bumble look like.

Robert Seymour?
Possibly right church, wrong pew. I was thinking this was JOSEPH "KYD" CLARKE.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

jarnon

#65 Post by jarnon » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:56 pm

A couple of partials...

73. Herbert Spencer, 5. John Dryden
(FL) John Spencer (Chief)
(LL) Spencer Dryden (Jefferson)
(FF)
(FL)

41. Helen Keller, 19. Thomas Lawrence
(FL)
(LL)
(FF) Helen Thomas (Press)
(FL) Thomas Keller (Laundry)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mrkelley23

#66 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 pm

mellytu74 wrote:I think the time has come where research is not cheating.

15. While Victoria was still on the throne, this English writer helped lead the charge against Victorianism with a satirical utopian novel and a cynical, semi-autobiographical bildungsroman.

Samuel Butler? I agree. Erewhon and The way of all Flesh.

29. This American scientist became embroiled in several nasty disputes, claiming retroactive priority over discoveries and inventions made by – among others – Samuel F.B. Morse and William T.G. Morton.

Charles Thomas Jackson Yes

43. A leading figure in the transition from Federal architecture to Greek Revival, he designed many New England homes and also authored the first American pattern books, such as 1830’s Practical House Carpenter.

Asher Benjamin Yes

65. Considered by Milton Friedman to be America’s greatest economist, he played a major role in developing the quantity theory of money, but his reputation did suffer major damage when he declared that the stock market had reached a “permanently high plateau” – in 1929.

Irving Fisher Yes

72. This Victorian illustrator and caricaturist helped create our images of what Fagin, Bill Sikes, and Mr. Bumble look like.

Robert Seymour? I had George Cruikshank for this one. Cause we needed another George.

76. In addition to building the first American steam locomotive and operating the first U.S. ferry service, this inventor also played a major role in establishing U.S. patent law.

John Jervis?? Per Britannica, it's JOHN STEVENS

87. In 1953, this political theorist published a book that played a large role in shaping the modern American conservative movement; toward the end of his life, he became a vocal critic of Republican militarism and U.S. involvement in the Gulf War.

Russell Kirk Yes.

94. This crime lord once said, “I wanted to be rich. I wanted to be Donald Trump rich, and so help me God, I made it" – but, despite some claims, he probably didn’t make it by smuggling drugs in the coffins of dead American soldiers.

Frank Lucas
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#67 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:59 pm

jarnon wrote:
41. Helen Keller, 19. Thomas Lawrence
(FL)
(LL)
How about using James Taylor to complete this one? Then we'd have Lawrence Taylor (Giant) and Thomas Lawrence, commander of the U.S.S. (Chesapeake)

jarnon

#68 Post by jarnon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:00 pm

mrkelley23 wrote:72. This Victorian illustrator and caricaturist helped create our images of what Fagin, Bill Sikes, and Mr. Bumble look like.

Robert Seymour? I had George Cruikshank for this one. Cause we needed another George.
I thought, Cruikshank's such an odd last name. But...

72. George Cruikshank, 94. Frank Lucas, 32. Barney Miller
(FL) George Lucas (Wars)
(LL) Lucas Cruikshank (Fred)
(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#69 Post by jarnon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:13 pm

Updated consolidation…

Identify the 105 people in the clues below. Match them into 35 groups of three according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Then, match each threesome with FOUR of the Associated Words.

No name will be used twice.

There are some possible alternate pairs, but if you can make an alternate threesome, I’ll be astounded. This may be tough, but you'll work it out.

1. BILL CLINTON
*2. JAMES CLERK MAXWELL
*3. GLENN MILLER
4. CY YOUNG
5. JOHN DRYDEN
*6. MICHAEL CRAWFORD
7. HENRY FORD
8. BILL T JONES
9. HENRY ADAMS
10. WILLIAM CLARK
11. PERRY MASON

12. The most important work of this British idealist philosopher was an 1893 study about the gap between appearances and reality.

13. BLAKE LEWIS
14. WILLIAM ROTH

SAMUEL BUTLER

*16. DICK MARTIN

17. His seventeen seasons with the oldest team in the NHL earned him a spot in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but he stated that his biggest professional thrill was winning his first Stanley Cup as a head coach.

*18. GEORGE E. SMITH
*19. THOMAS LAWRENCE
20. WILLIAM ALLEN WHITE
21. BILL W(ILSON)
22. RICHARD ALLEN
23. JOHN HAWKINS
24. BRIAN WILSON
25. DOROTHY SAYERS
26. BUCK HENRY
27. HENRY WALLACE
28. RON JOHNSON

CHARLES THOMAS JACKSON

30. CASEY ANTHONY
31. TOM ANDERSON
*32. BARNEY MILLER
33. JAMES THOMPSON

34. Both Paul McCartney and Julian Lennon have supported claims that this man was “the fifth Beatle,” though Julian’s father disparaged his contributions. (Of course; he would.)
BRIAN EPSTEIN? GEORGE MARTIN?

*35. JOE GOULD
36. GEORGE KELLY
37. WOLFGANG PETERSEN
38. JAMES DOUGLAS
39. RICHARD "RIP" HAMILTON
*40. JOHNNY LONG
*41. HELEN KELLER
42. JOHN ANDERSON

ASHER BENJAMIN

44. PAUL SMITH
45. JOHN NEWTON
46. GEORGE PICKETT
*47. ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
48. JACK BUCHANAN
49. CLIFF BURTON
50. ELIZABETH RYAN
51. ROY KERR
*52. HENRY BILLINGS BROWN
53. FRANK KING
54. JONATHAN WALKER
*55. HENRY HUGGINS
56. MICHAEL KENNEDY
57. LEONARD COLEMAN
58. ROBERT BROWNE
*59. KAY THOMPSON
60. CHARLES WHITMAN
*61. STEVE VAN BUREN
62. JUSTIN WILSON
63. VIRGINIA JOHNSON
64. WILLIE BROWN

IRVING FISHER

66. DAVID SCOTT
67. WALTER BUTLER
68. PAUL TAYLOR

69. One of the earliest poets of the English Renaissance, he helped introduce the sonnet form in England, though none of his own poems were published during his short lifetime.

70. GALE GORDON
*71. JAMES TAYLOR
*72. GEORGE CRUIKSHANK
73. HERBERT SPENCER
*74. LEE RAYMOND
*75. CLARENCE PAGE

JOHN STEVENS

77. HOWARD DEAN
*78. WILL PARKER
79. PHIL JACKSON
80. ROBERT ANDERSON
81. WAYNE BRADY
82. TONY BENNETT
*83. GEORGE JACKSON
84. JANE PIERCE
*85. PHILLIP MORRIS
86. BOB JONES

RUSSELL KIRK

88. WARREN CHRISTOPHER
89. ROBERT EDWARDS
90. JUSTIN ROSE

91. This poet was the 17th successor to the poet in Clue #5, but he became a dirty word to some who blamed him for the death another poet.
TED HUGHES

*92. GENE CHANDLER
93. ROBERT LINDSAY
*94. FRANK LUCAS
95. GILBERT STUART
96. NICK ADAMS
97. MARY HARRIS JONES
98. GEORGE MARSHALL

99. In 1833, this English physiologist propounded the theory that the spinal cord is comprised by a chain of units that functions as an independent reflex arcs.

100. One of the chief proponents of the philosophical school of pragmatism, he also was a major figure in the development of progressive education.

*101. JAMES FENIMORE COOPER
102. GEORGE MITCHELL
*103. ELLIOTT CARTER
104. JOSH GIBSON
*105. JOHN FORD

TANGREDI
From the group of three names, make four new names. For each set of four new names, one will be made by combining two first names, one by combining two last names, and the other two will be combinations of first and last names. Each of the four new names will match a word from the word list.

MATCHES

75. Clarence Page, 103. Elliott Carter, and 35. Joe Gould
(FL) Clarence Carter (Patches)
(LL) Carter Page (Trump)
(FL) Elliott Gould (Trapper)
(FF) Joe Elliott (Def)

78. Will Parker, 47. Robert L Stevenson, and 18. George Smith
(FL) Robert Parker (Spenser)
(LL) Parker Stevenson (Hardy)
(FF) George Will (This Week)
(FL) Will Smith (Ali)

3. Glenn Miller, 105. John Ford, and 55. Henry Huggins
(FF) John Glenn (Mercury)
(LL) Miller Huggins (Murderers)
(FL) Henry Miller (Capricorn)
(FL) Glenn Ford (Gilda)

92. Gene Chandler, 74. Lee Raymond, and 52. Henry Billings Brown
(FL) Gene Raymond (MacDonald)
(LL) Raymond Chandler (Farewell)
(FF) Henry Lee (Horse)
(FL) Lee Brown (Mayor)

(FL) Steve Martin (Jerk)

41. Helen Keller, 19. Thomas Lawrence, 71. James Taylor
(FL) James Lawrence (Chesapeake)
(LL) Lawrence Taylor (Giant)

(FL) George Lucas (Wars)
(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)

UNUSED ASSOCIATED WORDS
Shakespeare
Strouse
Berkeley
Duran
West
Kramer
Chapman
Jefferson
Margaret
Donna
Albert
Peggy
Jerry
Greg
Floyd
Dennis
Bonnie
Clarence
Mark
Tammy
Jesse
Tor
Mick
Mickey
Daisy
Daffy
Charity
Buck
Panther
Rooster
Foxes
Whales
Fighters
Rascals
Spy
Devil
Standup
Patriot
Chief
Chaplain
Martyr
Naturalist
Media Mogul
Godfather
Wife
VP
HUD
North Carolina
South Carolina
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Las Vegas
Seattle
Detroit
San Antonio
St. Louis
Baltimore
Nuremberg
Manila
Flatbush
Nile
Oz
Apollo
Empty
Metaphysical
Spiritual
Bewitched
Wicked
Lust
Virtue
Property
Cello
Piccolo
Makeover
Reconstruction
Gold Rush
Golf
Poker
Swing
Jump
Blow
Chop
Jelly
Ice Cream
Upstairs
Enterprise
Arcades
College
Funk
Fever
Formula
Ion
Magnetism
Circuit
Ferry
Train
Rules
Front Page
Middle
Center
Lost
Last Summer
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

franktangredi

#70 Post by franktangredi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:11 pm

Well, I was wrong. It IS possible to create a legitimate triple. And, in fact, three of the four constructed names in that triple are right. But I guess I can't keep track of every mayor in the country. Sorry.

jarnon wrote:Updated consolidation…

Identify the 105 people in the clues below. Match them into 35 groups of three according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Then, match each threesome with FOUR of the Associated Words.

No name will be used twice.

There are some possible alternate pairs, but if you can make an alternate threesome, I’ll be astounded. This may be tough, but you'll work it out.

1. BILL CLINTON
*2. JAMES CLERK MAXWELL
*3. GLENN MILLER
4. CY YOUNG
5. JOHN DRYDEN
*6. MICHAEL CRAWFORD
7. HENRY FORD
8. BILL T JONES
9. HENRY ADAMS
10. WILLIAM CLARK
11. PERRY MASON

12. The most important work of this British idealist philosopher was an 1893 study about the gap between appearances and reality.

13. BLAKE LEWIS
14. WILLIAM ROTH

SAMUEL BUTLER

*16. DICK MARTIN

17. His seventeen seasons with the oldest team in the NHL earned him a spot in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but he stated that his biggest professional thrill was winning his first Stanley Cup as a head coach.

*18. GEORGE E. SMITH
*19. THOMAS LAWRENCE
20. WILLIAM ALLEN WHITE
21. BILL W(ILSON)
22. RICHARD ALLEN
23. JOHN HAWKINS
24. BRIAN WILSON
25. DOROTHY SAYERS
26. BUCK HENRY
27. HENRY WALLACE
28. RON JOHNSON

CHARLES THOMAS JACKSON

30. CASEY ANTHONY
31. TOM ANDERSON
*32. BARNEY MILLER
33. JAMES THOMPSON

34. Both Paul McCartney and Julian Lennon have supported claims that this man was “the fifth Beatle,” though Julian’s father disparaged his contributions. (Of course; he would.)
BRIAN EPSTEIN? GEORGE MARTIN?

*35. JOE GOULD
36. GEORGE KELLY
37. WOLFGANG PETERSEN
38. JAMES DOUGLAS
39. RICHARD "RIP" HAMILTON
*40. JOHNNY LONG
*41. HELEN KELLER
42. JOHN ANDERSON

ASHER BENJAMIN

44. PAUL SMITH
45. JOHN NEWTON
46. GEORGE PICKETT
*47. ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON
48. JACK BUCHANAN
49. CLIFF BURTON
50. ELIZABETH RYAN
51. ROY KERR
*52. HENRY BILLINGS BROWN
53. FRANK KING
54. JONATHAN WALKER
*55. HENRY HUGGINS
56. MICHAEL KENNEDY
57. LEONARD COLEMAN
58. ROBERT BROWNE
*59. KAY THOMPSON
60. CHARLES WHITMAN
*61. STEVE VAN BUREN
62. JUSTIN WILSON
63. VIRGINIA JOHNSON
64. WILLIE BROWN

IRVING FISHER

66. DAVID SCOTT
67. WALTER BUTLER
68. PAUL TAYLOR

69. One of the earliest poets of the English Renaissance, he helped introduce the sonnet form in England, though none of his own poems were published during his short lifetime.

70. GALE GORDON
*71. JAMES TAYLOR
*72. GEORGE CRUIKSHANK
73. HERBERT SPENCER
*74. LEE RAYMOND
*75. CLARENCE PAGE

JOHN STEVENS

77. HOWARD DEAN
*78. WILL PARKER
79. PHIL JACKSON
80. ROBERT ANDERSON
81. WAYNE BRADY
82. TONY BENNETT
*83. GEORGE JACKSON
84. JANE PIERCE
*85. PHILLIP MORRIS
86. BOB JONES

RUSSELL KIRK

88. WARREN CHRISTOPHER
89. ROBERT EDWARDS
90. JUSTIN ROSE

91. This poet was the 17th successor to the poet in Clue #5, but he became a dirty word to some who blamed him for the death another poet.
TED HUGHES

*92. GENE CHANDLER
93. ROBERT LINDSAY
*94. FRANK LUCAS
95. GILBERT STUART
96. NICK ADAMS
97. MARY HARRIS JONES
98. GEORGE MARSHALL

99. In 1833, this English physiologist propounded the theory that the spinal cord is comprised by a chain of units that functions as an independent reflex arcs.

100. One of the chief proponents of the philosophical school of pragmatism, he also was a major figure in the development of progressive education.

*101. JAMES FENIMORE COOPER
102. GEORGE MITCHELL
*103. ELLIOTT CARTER
104. JOSH GIBSON
*105. JOHN FORD

TANGREDI
From the group of three names, make four new names. For each set of four new names, one will be made by combining two first names, one by combining two last names, and the other two will be combinations of first and last names. Each of the four new names will match a word from the word list.

MATCHES

75. Clarence Page, 103. Elliott Carter, and 35. Joe Gould
(FL) Clarence Carter (Patches)
(LL) Carter Page (Trump)
(FL) Elliott Gould (Trapper)
(FF) Joe Elliott (Def)

78. Will Parker, 47. Robert L Stevenson, and 18. George Smith
(FL) Robert Parker (Spenser)
(LL) Parker Stevenson (Hardy)
(FF) George Will (This Week)
(FL) Will Smith (Ali)

3. Glenn Miller, 105. John Ford, and 55. Henry Huggins
(FF) John Glenn (Mercury)
(LL) Miller Huggins (Murderers)
(FL) Henry Miller (Capricorn)
(FL) Glenn Ford (Gilda)

92. Gene Chandler, 74. Lee Raymond, and 52. Henry Billings Brown
(FF) Henry Lee (Horse)
(FL) Lee Brown (Mayor)

(FL) Steve Martin (Jerk)

41. Helen Keller, 19. Thomas Lawrence, 71. James Taylor
(FL) James Lawrence (Chesapeake)
(LL) Lawrence Taylor (Giant)

(FL) George Lucas (Wars)
(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)

UNUSED ASSOCIATED WORDS
Shakespeare
Strouse
Berkeley
Duran
West
Kramer
Chapman
Jefferson
Margaret
Donna
Albert
Peggy
Jerry
Greg
Floyd
Dennis
Bonnie
Clarence
Mark
Tammy
Jesse
Tor
Mick
Mickey
Daisy
Daffy
Charity
Buck
Panther
Rooster
Foxes
Whales
Fighters
Rascals
Spy
Devil
Standup
Patriot
Chief
Chaplain
Martyr
Naturalist
Media Mogul
Godfather
Wife
VP
HUD
North Carolina
South Carolina
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Las Vegas
Seattle
Detroit
San Antonio
St. Louis
Baltimore
Nuremberg
Manila
Flatbush
Nile
Oz
Apollo
Empty
Metaphysical
Spiritual
Bewitched
Wicked
Lust
Virtue
Property
Cello
Piccolo
Makeover
Reconstruction
Gold Rush
Golf
Poker
Swing
Jump
Blow
Chop
Jelly
Ice Cream
Upstairs
Enterprise
Arcades
College
Funk
Fever
Formula
Ion
Magnetism
Circuit
Ferry
Train
Rules
Front Page
Middle
Center
Lost
Last Summer

franktangredi

#71 Post by franktangredi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:12 pm

jarnon wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:72. This Victorian illustrator and caricaturist helped create our images of what Fagin, Bill Sikes, and Mr. Bumble look like.

I thought, Cruikshank's such an odd last name. But...

(FL) George Lucas (Wars)
(FF) Barney Frank (Dodd)
(FL) Frank Miller (Sin)
I was so happy to get the two Cruikshanks in here, like you wouldn't believe.

jarnon

#72 Post by jarnon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:08 pm

franktangredi wrote:But I guess I can't keep track of every mayor in the country. Sorry.
First black mayor of the fourth largest city in the U.S., home to several BBs. But this game is still a work of genius.

I see that Lee Wallace played mayors in several films, so 27. Henry Wallace could be the third name.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mrkelley23

#73 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:18 pm

jarnon wrote:
franktangredi wrote:But I guess I can't keep track of every mayor in the country. Sorry.
First black mayor of the fourth largest city in the U.S., home to several BBs. But this game is still a work of genius.

I see that Lee Wallace played mayors in several films, so 27. Henry Wallace could be the third name.
Weird, because if Lee Brown is wrong and the other three are right, that means the replacement should be Lee Chandler. The only prominent Lee Chandler I'm finding is Casey Affleck's character in Manchester by the Sea. But I'm not finding an associated word that matches very well. It doesn't help that I've not seen the film.

franktangredi

#74 Post by franktangredi » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:18 pm

jarnon wrote:

The Henry who slots in here reflects a bias toward one of my major interests. And the mayor that you will eventually find may also reflect a geographic bias toward an even bigger city.

jarnon

#75 Post by jarnon » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:38 pm

franktangredi wrote:The Henry who slots in here reflects a bias toward one of my major interests.
Now I get it! (hits forehead)

92. Gene Chandler, 74. Lee Raymond, and 9. Henry Adams
(FF) Henry Lee (Horse)
(FL) Lee Adams (Strouse)
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי