Transcript 5/30/18 John Lance (LanceJ)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts
Posts: 4518
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 am

Transcript 5/30/18 John Lance (LanceJ)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu May 31, 2018 12:15 am

John Lance (BB LanceJ)
Dayton, Ohio

$500
Playground to New York’s rich and famous, the Long Island resort area known as The Hamptons includes all but which of these places?
A: East Hampton B: Southampton
C: Bridgehampton D: Honey Baked Hampton

Spoiler
D: Honey Baked Hampton


$1,000
In the song “The Little Drummer Boy,” after the boy plays his best for the newborn King (pa rum pum pum pum), the baby acknowledges his skills how?
A: By throwing two bucks in his hat B: By smiling at him
C: By offering him a recording contract D: By booing and yelling, “Take some lessons!”

Spoiler
B: By smiling at him


$2,000
The recent SELF magazine article “Misty on Pointe” profiles the grueling workout regimen of Misty Copeland, a celebrated what?
A: U.S. senator B: Disk jockey
C: Ballet dancer D: Forest ranger

Spoiler
C: Ballet dancer


$3,000
Three of the following four choices list an Oscar-winning Best Picture, with one of the words in its title replaced by an antonym. Which one does NOT?
A: No Country for Young Men B: American Ugliness
C: Live Hard D: The Healed Locker

John knows
Spoiler
“Rain Man,” not “Die Hard,” won Best Picture in 1988.


Spoiler
C: Live Hard


$5,000
To conserve the habitat of creatures like the orangutan, animal rights groups urge parents to buy Halloween candy made with 100% sustainable what?
A: Palm oil B: Almonds
C: High fructose corn syrup D: Gelatin

Spoiler
A: 47% B: 15% C: 38% D: 10%


Spoiler
A: Palm oil


$7,000
As was the case in 2016, the latest that a federal Election Day can be held is on what date?
A: November 4th B: November 6th
C: November 8th D: November 10th

Spoiler
C: November 8th


$10,000
Inspired by a classic Eminem hit, what word does Oxford Living Dictionaries define as “An overzealous or obsessive fan of a particular celebrity”?
A: Debbi B: Ken
C: Stan D: Erica

Spoiler
C: Stan


$20,000
In 1981, Roberto Goizueta became the first Latino CEO of a Fortune 500 firm when he took the top job at what company with the stock symbol KO?
A: Costco B: ConAgra
C: Coca-Cola D: Colgate-Palmolive

Spoiler
John’s friend Linda doesn’t think Costco was a Fortune 500 company in 1981, and doubts Coca-Cola’s symbol is KO.


Spoiler
50/50 leaves Costco and Coca-Cola.


Spoiler
C: Coca-Cola


Commercial break

$30,000
While “A” is, by far, the most common last letter in the names of the world’s countries, what is the second-most common last letter?
A: N B: O
C: E D: D

Spoiler
A: N


Commercial break

QotD
What popular game is available in sets of different sizes, including “double six,” “double nine” and “double twelve”?
A: Billiards B: Dominoes
C: Backgammon D: Darts

Spoiler
B: Dominoes


$50,000
What future Victoria’s Secret “Angel” was discovered in the early ’90s after taking a modeling course with her twin sister, Patricia?
A: Naomi Campbell B: Gisele Bündchen
C: Elle Macpherson D: Tyra Banks

John walks away with $30,000.

Spoiler
B: Gisele Bündchen

User avatar
ghostjmf
Posts: 7358
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:09 am

Re: Transcript 5/30/18 John Lance (LanceJ)

#2 Post by ghostjmf » Thu May 31, 2018 5:49 am

3K: The start of what is to be a run of tough questions, in that you had to come up with real titles before figuring Oscar status. Less of a gimmee than previous 3Ks this season.

7K: I would have done my own 50/50, told audience it was between B & C, then ATAed. I didn't remember formula.

10K: +1, & if they don't know it 50/50 & probably go out here. Never heard or heard of this.

20K: If still alive, leave here. Like contestant I thought Costco didn't go back that far, & that's about it.

30K: Pretend I'm still alive: reasoning like contestant

50K: Living in Boston, where answer is married to Famous Local, I had an inkling of answer (must have heard/read/seen it somewhere) but would have needed lifeline for reassurance; would not have guessed.

Pop culture is maybe my worst category, & this stack was stacked with them.

Congrats, LanceJ, for gettting through one of the hardest stacks I've seen in a while. And for knowing when to leave.

User avatar
earendel
Posts: 12950
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:25 am
Location: mired in the bureaucracy

Re: Transcript 5/30/18 John Lance (LanceJ)

#3 Post by earendel » Thu May 31, 2018 6:15 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:John Lance (BB LanceJ)
Dayton, Ohio
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$10,000
Inspired by a classic Eminem hit, what word does Oxford Living Dictionaries define as “An overzealous or obsessive fan of a particular celebrity”?
A: Debbi B: Ken
C: Stan D: Erica
Spoiler
C: Stan
I'd have to ATA here.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$20,000
In 1981, Roberto Goizueta became the first Latino CEO of a Fortune 500 firm when he took the top job at what company with the stock symbol KO?
A: Costco B: ConAgra
C: Coca-Cola D: Colgate-Palmolive
Spoiler
John’s friend Linda doesn’t think Costco was a Fortune 500 company in 1981, and doubts Coca-Cola’s symbol is KO.

Spoiler
50/50 leaves Costco and Coca-Cola.

Spoiler
C: Coca-Cola
I knew this because he was the person responsible for the New Coke fiasco.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000
What future Victoria’s Secret “Angel” was discovered in the early ’90s after taking a modeling course with her twin sister, Patricia?
A: Naomi Campbell B: Gisele Bündchen
C: Elle Macpherson D: Tyra Banks

John walks away with $30,000.
Spoiler
B: Gisele Bündchen
I'd have to throw my 50:50 at this, then my +1.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

User avatar
tlynn78
Posts: 6925
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:31 am
Location: Montana

Re: Transcript 5/30/18 John Lance (LanceJ)

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:44 pm

Nice run. I knew Giselle had a twin, but would probably have gone out earlier, as 10K, 20K and 30K would all have given me pause.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine

LanceJ
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:03 am

Re: Transcript 5/30/18 John Lance (LanceJ)

#5 Post by LanceJ » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:36 pm

One (somewhat) interesting note from my run, on the 30k I was struggling to figure out if there were more -N or -D countries and fell back on "Yakko's World", which turned out to be... less than helpful. I only knew the first few stanzas offhand; here's the thought process as they ran through my head:

"United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru"
Alright, nothing yet...

"Republic Dominican, Cuba, Caribbean, Greenland, El Salvador too"
Okay! That's two -Ns and one -D! Wait... it's "Dominican Republic", and neither of the other two are countries! Yikes. Let's move on"

"Puerto Rico, Colombia, Venezuela, Honduras, Guyana, and still;"
mmmhmmm, moving on

"Guatemala, Bolivia, then Argentina, and Ecuador, Chile, Brazil"
yep, still no Ns and no Ds. Thanks, Yakko. I'm not sure how much more of this I remember

"Costa Rica, Belize, Nicaragua, Bermuda, Bahamas, Tobago, San Juan;"
Well, that's one! San Juan...wait, no, that's also not a country.

"Paraguay, Uruguay, Suriname, and French Guiana, Barbados, and Guam"
Okay, forget this.

User avatar
Estonut
Evil Genius
Posts: 9886
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 am
Location: Garden Grove, CA

Re: Transcript 5/30/18 John Lance (LanceJ)

#6 Post by Estonut » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:27 pm

LanceJ wrote:One (somewhat) interesting note from my run, on the 30k I was struggling to figure out if there were more -N or -D countries and fell back on "Yakko's World", which turned out to be... less than helpful. I only knew the first few stanzas offhand; here's the thought process as they ran through my head:

"United States, Canada, Mexico, Panama, Haiti, Jamaica, Peru"
Alright, nothing yet...

"Republic Dominican, Cuba, Caribbean, Greenland, El Salvador too"
Okay! That's two -Ns and one -D! Wait... it's "Dominican Republic", and neither of the other two are countries! Yikes. Let's move on"

"Puerto Rico, Colombia, Venezuela, Honduras, Guyana, and still;"
mmmhmmm, moving on

"Guatemala, Bolivia, then Argentina, and Ecuador, Chile, Brazil"
yep, still no Ns and no Ds. Thanks, Yakko. I'm not sure how much more of this I remember

"Costa Rica, Belize, Nicaragua, Bermuda, Bahamas, Tobago, San Juan;"
Well, that's one! San Juan...wait, no, that's also not a country.

"Paraguay, Uruguay, Suriname, and French Guiana, Barbados, and Guam"
Okay, forget this.
I thought of the -stan countries and had a feeling it would be "n." Wow! You (kind of) had 2 stan questions. :)
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Post Reply