The Harvey List

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: The Harvey List

#251 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 25, 2018 9:29 pm

Estonut wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:Weinstein's attorney tried to argue, "He didn't invent the casting couch."
I had always thought of the casting couch as a quid-pro-quo type thing, where the otherwise unfuckable geezer gets laid and the ingénue boosts her (or his) career, as in "sleeping one's way to the top."

These recent accounts do not describe such transactions. They are simply harassment, assault and/or rape.
What you're describing as "a quid-pro-quo type thing" falls pretty comfortably within the definition of sexual harassment. If the ingénue has reason to think she needs to offer sex (or tolerate unwelcome sexual overtures) to improve her career prospects, that's harassment. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#252 Post by Estonut » Sat May 26, 2018 6:28 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:Weinstein's attorney tried to argue, "He didn't invent the casting couch."
I had always thought of the casting couch as a quid-pro-quo type thing, where the otherwise unfuckable geezer gets laid and the ingénue boosts her (or his) career, as in "sleeping one's way to the top."

These recent accounts do not describe such transactions. They are simply harassment, assault and/or rape.
What you're describing as "a quid-pro-quo type thing" falls pretty comfortably within the definition of sexual harassment. If the ingénue has reason to think she needs to offer sex (or tolerate unwelcome sexual overtures) to improve her career prospects, that's harassment.
Of course it is sexual harassment, as it is defined today. I'm talking about the historical casting couch from the first days of movies. I thought it was clear when I said that these predators (in those days) were otherwise unfuckable. That means they'd never have a chance with any of these women if they didn't wield some power for the studio. I believe it was still a choice that the subordinate would have to make. It was shitty, it was pervy, it was unfair, but I don't think it went as far as the groping and forced sex being exposed today. They may have been "forced" in terms of comply vs. suffer the consequences of being blackballed, but they were not, for the most part, physically forced to submit.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#253 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 26, 2018 7:12 am

Estonut wrote: They may have been "forced" in terms of comply vs. suffer the consequences of being blackballed, but they were not, for the most part, physically forced to submit.
With the lack of information that came out of those encounters, it's difficult to say how many women were technically forced to submit or not. There is enough anecdotal information to indicate that a lot of cases, if prosecuted in today's climate, could have resulted in sexual assault convictions (such as Louis Mayer seating a 16-year-old Judy Garland on his lap and fondling her).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

ghostjmf

#254 Post by ghostjmf » Sat May 26, 2018 8:18 am

What astounds me is this "unfuckable geezer" claim by Estonut: All of these men were rich, powerful, & most of them very creative too. There are actual women out there to whom some or all of this appeals. So the men didn't look like the male movie stars they hired. So what? Neither do a lot of men who aren't molesting anyone.

Bob Juch

#255 Post by Bob Juch » Sat May 26, 2018 11:03 am

Estonut wrote:

You can't sleep your way to the top, only the middle.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#256 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 26, 2018 12:26 pm

For some historical perspective, here's an article about one of the first "exposes" about the casting couch, which appeared in a British magazine called Picturegoer in 1956. The article named four actresses, the best known of whom was probably Anne Heywood, who talked about their experiences. None of the men accused in the article were named. And, the article was accompanied by cheesecake photos of the actresses who were interviewed.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/201 ... anged.html
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#257 Post by Estonut » Sat May 26, 2018 6:06 pm

ghostjmf wrote:What astounds me is this "unfuckable geezer" claim by Estonut: All of these men were rich, powerful, & most of them very creative too. There are actual women out there to whom some or all of this appeals.

So the men didn't look like the male movie stars they hired. So what?
I thought it was clear when I said it. I then tried to explain it again, apparently to no avail. I said "otherwise unfuckable geezer," meaning that if these men DID NOT wield the money and power that they did, they would, for the most part, NOT have appealed to these actresses. Those powerful men who were intelligent, suave, classy, worldly, funny, kind (or had any other non-physical attributes that women might find appealing) didn't need such schemes to attract women. The men who needed this type of "arrangement" to sleep with these women were typically older, fatter and/or less handsome than the men to whom the women would usually be attracted. On top of that, these men were nasty, pervy assholes to resort to this behavior.

Of course, this all also applies in situations that were male/male, female/male and female/female, too.
ghostjmf wrote:Neither do a lot of men who aren't molesting anyone.
I have no idea what point you were trying to make by this. A lot of more-average men don't molest anyone. OK, I didn't say they do.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#258 Post by Bob Juch » Sun May 27, 2018 4:56 pm

George Takei’s Accuser Has Changed His Story of Drugging and Assault

http://observer.com/2018/05/george-take ... s-assault/
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

ghostjmf

#259 Post by ghostjmf » Sun May 27, 2018 5:24 pm

Estonut:

A lot of men who objectively had attributes that appeal to women, many of whom had wives, chose to molest aspiring actresses. It was & is *not* a group of "unfuckable geezers" as you keep putting it.

And the schemes didn't *attract* women. They were "you'll never work in this town again" if they didn't comply threats for the most part.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#260 Post by Estonut » Sun May 27, 2018 7:01 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Estonut:

A lot of men who objectively had attributes that appeal to women, many of whom had wives, chose to molest aspiring actresses.
If you are talking about the historical days of the casting couch, as I was, please name "many" such men.
ghostjmf wrote:It was & is *not* a group of "unfuckable geezers" as you keep putting it.
I said "OTHERWISE unfuckable geezers" as shorthand for men who, without wielding power over the careers of these women, would, for the most part, not be sleeping with them.
ghostjmf wrote:And the schemes didn't *attract* women.
I didn't say that. What you have ignored is that I actually said, "Those powerful men who were intelligent, suave, classy, worldly, funny, kind (or had any other non-physical attributes that women might find appealing) didn't need such schemes to attract women."
ghostjmf wrote:They were "you'll never work in this town again" if they didn't comply threats for the most part.
That's why I said, "The men who needed this type of "arrangement" to sleep with these women were typically older, fatter and/or less handsome than the men to whom the women would usually be attracted. On top of that, these men were nasty, pervy assholes to resort to this behavior."
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#261 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 29, 2018 4:00 pm

Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens (R) is expected to resign, according to multiple reports, amid accusations that he sexually assaulted a woman in 2015 and threatened to release a nude photo of her if she said anything.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#262 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 29, 2018 5:26 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Missouri Gov. Eric Greitens (R) is expected to resign, according to multiple reports, amid accusations that he sexually assaulted a woman in 2015 and threatened to release a nude photo of her if she said anything.
His resignation will be effective at 5:00 p.m. Friday. I assume that's CDT. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#263 Post by jarnon » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Guess Jeans executive chairman Paul Marciano was forced to resign after accusations from Kate Upton and other models.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Pastor Fireball

#264 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:53 am

Chris Hardwick

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/17/entertai ... index.html

AMC has temporarily placed his talk show, Talking Dead, on hiatus. No word yet if NBC will pull the next season of its Hardwick-hosted Plinko rip-off.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Pastor Fireball

#265 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:02 am

The Harvey List has one fewer active member. I would say more about this creep, but I had already planned on doing all of that at the end of the year. (Big spoiler there.)

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/18/entertai ... index.html
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

Bob Juch

#266 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:49 pm

Pastor Fireball

#267 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 am

Well, that certainly explains why Julie Chen is the host of both Big Brother and The Talk. Les wanted to keep her so busy that she wouldn't notice his extracurricular activities.

jarnon

#268 Post by jarnon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:08 pm

Congressman, DNC deputy chairman, and candidate for Minn. attorney general Keith Ellison

U.S. Rep. Keith Ellison denies domestic violence allegation
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#269 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:52 pm

jarnon wrote:Congressman, DNC deputy chairman, and candidate for Minn. attorney general Keith Ellison

Here's one that's not behind a paywall: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/08/1 ... l-election

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#270 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
jarnon wrote:Congressman, DNC deputy chairman, and candidate for Minn. attorney general Keith Ellison

Here's one that's not behind a kpaywall: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/08/1 ... l-election
What is your problem, Juch? The Star-Tribune version isn't behind a paywall, either. Neither version seems to be more accusatory nor offer "proof" of the accusation, and neither version seems more defensive of anybody's reputation.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Bob Juch

#271 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:38 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Here's one that's not behind a paywall: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/08/1 ... l-election
What is your problem, Juch? The Star-Tribune version isn't behind a paywall, either. Neither version seems to be more accusatory nor offer "proof" of the accusation, and neither version seems more defensive of anybody's reputation.
What the fuck? I have said nor implied anything about the accusation.

I'd call this a paywall:
Spoiler

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#272 Post by silvercamaro » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:57 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Here's one that's not behind a paywall: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2018/08/1 ... l-election

I'd call this a paywall:
Spoiler
I would call that a paywall, too, and I apologize for being surly. I did not encounter any such blockage, despite using a cheapo tablet that otherwise likes to frustrate me. I thought you simply had chosen not to look at the first link for reasons unknown.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#273 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:44 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:

I'd call this a paywall:
Spoiler
I would call that a paywall, too, and I apologize for being surly. I did not encounter any such blockage, despite using a cheapo tablet that otherwise likes to frustrate me. I thought you simply had chosen not to look at the first link for reasons unknown.
It's often the case that newspapers will give you a limited number of free looks per month, using cookies to track usage. --Bob

jarnon

#274 Post by jarnon » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:15 pm

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#275 Post by jarnon » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:25 pm

Weinstein survivor, and Anthony Bourdain's grieving girlfriend, Asia Argento.

Asia Argento: #MeToo actress now admits to sex with underage boy

I didn't post this one right away because it's too unbelievable. But the story won't fade.
Former child actor Jimmy Bennett has accused her of sexual assault by having sex with him in 2013, when he was under the age of consent in California, which is 18. The pair met in 2004 when Argento cast Bennett, then just seven, to play her son in The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things.

. . .

Argento also claimed in the text messages that she did not know Bennett was a minor until she received a "shakedown" letter from his lawyer demanding money.
Simple math skills are useful for more than game shows.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי