2015 Winter LS(Whatever) Rules!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
littlebeast13
Dumbass

2015 Winter LS(Whatever) Rules!

#1 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:11 pm

OK, so I lost a good chunk of my free time for a second straight Friday. Someone out there doesn't want LS to happen, apparently... but I'm not stalling anymore. Here goes a flying by the seat of my pants edition of the rules... which will be fitting since I'll be using the same technique with regards to games this year....

Right now, I plan on running LS for 5 weeks, beginning next Monday January 12th and ending on Friday February 13th. I may possibly add a week or two if I end up coming up with enough games, but if I were a betting man like Blaise Pascal, I'd say 5 weeks will do it...

Games will be posted each weekday morning, and close the following weekday morning. The lineup will remain mostly unchanged from last year...

Mecca Mondays - Songs from the Mecca CD's, presented by Sam himself and divided into decades.

Tuesday Wordplay - Songs with a word in common.

Wacky Wednesday - Games hosted by my Merry Men, themed around their persona.

Theme Thursday - Guess the theme, these should also all be hosted by MM's.

Free For All Friday - LS potpourri... and I have no idea what I'm all going to slap together this time around, so be prepared (Unlike me).

Post your answers in spoilers... and yes, spoilers are NOT currently working for those using the subsilver or prosilver interfaces. I've emailed Dave about the problem, but don't know if it will be addressed before LS starts. Just be warned to be careful scrolling down while checking out the LS games!

1 point for the correct title of each song, 1 point for a correct artist.

Bonuses:

JJ Cale Points: LSWE vets should know how JJC points work by now... they are randomly awarded by me for things in your answer points that amuse me... and I am easily amused.

Kroxquo Bonus: In games where this bonus is offered, you can name another song with artist that fits the game's theme (or whatever the Krox asks for) for 2 bonus points. You must not reuse artists already in the game, or theme elements already in the game unless I otherwise exempt it.

Attendance Bonus: Same as always... each week, you get 5 bonus points if you play all 5 games, 3 points for playing 4 games, and 1 point for playing 3 games. You must at least attempt to answer something in a game to get credit for playing that day.

Annie Bonus: Any song with the word "girl" or "girls" in the title can be answered with "squirrel" or "squirrels" to earn an extra point.

Shithouse Rats Award: The funniest player, whether based on an individual post or a collective effort, will get 10 bonus points at season's end.

I have dropped the Mecca Bonus and 5 Point Bonus question this year... but am replacing the latter with the Image Bonus. At the end of each game, I will ask you to post an image of something in someway associated with the game. I experimented with this in a few games the final week of the 2014 contest, and was very impressed with the results. This is your chance to be clever and creative, and impress and entertain the Meister! My favorite image that fits what i asked for in each game will get 10 bonus points. All others who participate will get 5 points. I will accept links to an image if you have issues with the Bored's image tags, but now would be a great time to learn how to visually please your fellow BB's if you don't know how already!

The Phil Collins Rule is in effect, as always. The lead singer for a band song is fine, if that singer had a noteworthy solo career. The band name for a solo song is not acceptable.

No Googling or other kinds of cheating... you should know that by now.

Please address any scoring or other issues you have with me, and I will work to resolve them... but I have the final say on all scoring matters.

And we can't forget the most important rule in my LS games....

Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

franktangredi

Re: 2015 Winter LS(Whatever) Rules!

#2 Post by franktangredi » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:35 pm

I AM SO HAPPY!

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:10 pm

Sigh. Another chance for me to demonstrate my woeful lack of knowledge in pop culture.

I'm not in Marley's class, of course. Or Fan's.

Onward.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:25 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:I'm not in Marley's class, of course. Or Fan's.
That's okay. There will always be cellar squatters.

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:01 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Stay the hell out of my cellar!
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#6 Post by littlebeast13 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:07 am

franktangredi wrote:I AM SO HAPPY!

I'm thinking you may be MORE THAN happy...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

kroxquo

#7 Post by kroxquo » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:57 am

littlebeast13 wrote: I have dropped the Mecca Bonus and 5 Point Bonus question this year... but am replacing the latter with the Image Bonus. At the end of each game, I will ask you to post an image of something in someway associated with the game. I experimented with this in a few games the final week of the 2014 contest, and was very impressed with the results. This is your chance to be clever and creative, and impress and entertain the Meister! My favorite image that fits what i asked for in each game will get 10 bonus points. All others who participate will get 5 points. I will accept links to an image if you have issues with the Bored's image tags, but now would be a great time to learn how to visually please your fellow BB's if you don't know how already!
Is there any kind of quick tutorial on how to post images because I have never figured out how to do it.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:38 pm

kroxquo wrote:Is there any kind of quick tutorial on how to post images because I have never figured out how to do it.
The image you post cannot be sourced from your PC/Mac. If it is a personal image, it must first be uploaded to a photo-sharing site, such as flickr, Photobucket, Snapfish, etc. Some time back, flickr started making it more difficult to get the URL of photos posted there, so one of the other sites might be easier if you're not established somewhere yet.

The Img tags on the Bored only work with URLs whose suffixes are the usual photo extensions, (.jpg, .bmp, .png).

Once you have your personal photo uploaded, OR if you are using a photo from the web, go to it and right-click it to look at its properties. Copy the entire URL (hopefully ending in one of the suffixes mentioned above) and paste it into your post between the Img & /Img tags.

When doing something like this, I'd recommend using the "Preview" feature of the Bored before submitting. That way, you can verify that others will see your picture as you intended them to see it.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:17 pm

BackInTex wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
Stay the hell out of my cellar!
Dang! BiT has discovered the secret attraction of the cellar! :mrgreen:

jarnon

#10 Post by jarnon » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:06 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:Facebook is a terrible place to get images from because they tend not to show for people with no FB access....
I've found a way around the FB privacy restrictions. I display a photo, then click on it while holding down the "control" key. A pop-up menu appears, and I select "Copy image location." I can then paste the image URL (a long string of seeming gobbledygook) between img tags in a Bored post.

These instructions are for a Mac laptop. Modify as needed for desktop or Windows machines. (For instance, right-click instead of control-click).
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי