Time to install my new graphics card

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Time to install my new graphics card

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:59 am

The GeForce 6200 I got from Amazon.com to support the higher resolution wide-screen monitor I bought recently.

Back again, soon, I hope...

earendel

Re: Time to install my new graphics card

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:23 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:The GeForce 6200 I got from Amazon.com to support the higher resolution wide-screen monitor I bought recently.

Back again, soon, I hope...
So are you going to try Civ 4 now that you have the graphics card to support it?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

Re: Time to install my new graphics card

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:19 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Back again, soon, I hope...
I'm back. But the new card was...uhhh...less than a complete success. :(

I installed the new card and powered up the machine. I got graphics output from the new card (at the lowest, default setting) and the Windows hardware wizard recognized the new hardware and prompted me to install the new drivers, which I did from the enclosed CD.

And when it was done, it looked like the poor PC was just overwhelmed. The cursor showed an extreme delay in reacting to mouse movements and the PC wouldn't react to mouse click or keyboard commands at all.

The graphics card manual advises disabling the onboard graphics controller before installing the new card (either by jumper, changing a BIOS setting or through hardware setup). What I read in the HP user's forum suggested that that should not be necessary; that Windows XP automatically recognizes the new hardware. But it does appear that something (competing graphics cards?) were competing for memory cycles and bogging down the system.

I took out the new card and I'm back online with the lower resolution of the onboard card. I'm hesistant to disable anything that might not let me go back like this, without being sure of those instructions.

<sigh>