School's out, again.

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

School's out, again.

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:23 am

No, not snow. And not Spring Break. Our county Emergency Management Agency declared a state of emergency last night because of the large scale flooding going on, especially down in the Ohio River bottoms. Some pretty scary stuff going on right now. We've got a good levee system (Thanks to FDR and the WPA after the '37 Flood) and the river's not really threatening the town, but the creeks and other tributaries are dangerously swollen, and many roads are shut down.

So let's see how many posts I can put up today! Ha!
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

TheCalvinator24

#2 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:32 am

The East Fork of the Trinity River runs across my route to work. It was higher today than I have ever seen it. We got pounded with rain yesterday.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

tlynn78

#3 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:33 am

Be safe.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#4 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:39 am

I hope that you stay dry and safe.

peacock2121

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:43 am

It has been my experience that the people who get hit hard by the damages from flooding are the people who can least afford to get damaged.

May they all find a way to first survive and then repair and then thrive.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:57 am

We already had flooding on the roads I take to work this morning. We're supposed to have rain through sometime tomorrow.

There's a town near here called Bound Brook which in on a stream called Bound Brook (duh!). Moderate rain causes it to become unbound. I expect this storm to cause some serious flooding. Fortunately I don't need to go there.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

kayrharris
Miss Congeniality

#7 Post by kayrharris » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:05 am

Everyone will be mad at their insurance companies since flood damage is excluded. You have to have a separate flood policy. Very few people have it. It's not expensive at all.

I do hope everyone is OK. I have a lot of family in Louisville, which is right in the middle of all this mess. They do have a good flood wall, but that won't keep some areas from flash floods and damage.

We're expecting over an inch of rain today, which is a lot for this area. We need it for sure. It should move on out and I'm still looking for my nice weekend weather.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest. "
Benjamin Franklin

mrkelley23

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:16 am

Flood insurance varies widely in cost, I think, depending on where you are in the country. It also apparently depends heavily on outdated maps. When we built our house in 2000, we paid $600 for a re-survey of our lot to show that it had been elevated enough to take it out of the flood plain. The work had actually been done decades earlier, but since the maps are updated very sporadically, it was either pay the 600 or pay approximately 1000 bucks a year more in flood insurance.

I haven't been out yet, but it looks okay around here for now.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:19 am

Bob Juch wrote: There's a town near here called Bound Brook which in on a stream called Bound Brook (duh!). Moderate rain causes it to become unbound. I expect this storm to cause some serious flooding. Fortunately I don't need to go there.
Yeah. What was the hurricane that hit the area back around '73? Andrea? I remember that we took a ride through Bound Brook after that to gape at the mud stains several feet up the walls of all the buildings. :shock:

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:22 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: There's a town near here called Bound Brook which in on a stream called Bound Brook (duh!). Moderate rain causes it to become unbound. I expect this storm to cause some serious flooding. Fortunately I don't need to go there.
Yeah. What was the hurricane that hit the area back around '73? Andrea? I remember that we took a ride through Bound Brook after that to gape at the mud stains several feet up the walls of all the buildings. :shock:
Sounds like they haven't fixed anything since then.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.