RIP Anthony Minghella

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

RIP Anthony Minghella

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:23 am

Movie director who won an Oscar for The English Patient and also directed The Talented Mr. Ripley and Cold Mountain, among others. He also wrote all three of those movies, getting Oscar nominations for English Patient and Ripley.

No word yet on cause of death. Age 54

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:51 am

From TMZ:
UPDATE: A spokesperson for the director said he suffered a brain hemorrhage at 5 A.M. Tuesday morning at Charing Cross Hospital in London, where he had undergone a routine operation on his neck.

KillerTomato

#3 Post by KillerTomato » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:24 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:From TMZ:
UPDATE: A spokesperson for the director said he suffered a brain hemorrhage at 5 A.M. Tuesday morning at Charing Cross Hospital in London, where he had undergone a routine operation on his neck.

From BBC: "fatal haemorrhage ... days after having surgery for cancer of the tonsils and neck."

I was always less enamoured of his movies than the critics (I thought "The English Patient" was a long, pretentious mess, for instance, but I'm always sorry to hear of people passing before they should.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

ontellen
FNGD Forum Moderator

#4 Post by ontellen » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:31 pm

Thanks, KT for restoring my faith in common sense. I thought that only Elaine Benes and I hated the English Patient. Pretentious is exactly what it was.

ghostjmf

#5 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:45 pm

Good Grief!

Just for the record, I never went to see "The English Patient"; some day I'll catch it on TV. Or something. Even the descriptions by people who absolutely loved it made it sound turgid beyond belief.

However, the movie you left off the list, "Truly Madly Deeply" is one of my favorite movies of all time. Hard to believe the same director was involved.

And of course I have emotional stuff invested in Cold Mountain, because people I know got to be involved in recording the Sacred Harp song "Idumea", which is played behind the Battle of the Crater scenes.

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:47 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Good Grief!

Just for the record, I never went to see "The English Patient"; some day I'll catch it on TV. Or something. Even the descriptions by people who absolutely loved it made it sound turgid beyond belief.

However, the movie you left off the list, "Truly Madly Deeply" is one of my favorite movies of all time. Hard to believe the same director was involved.

And of course I have emotional stuff invested in Cold Mountain, because people I know got to be involved in recording the Sacred Harp song "Idumea", which is played behind the Battle of the Crater scenes.
Truly, Madly, Deeply was his first film.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.