Hey SuitGuy!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
peacock2121

Hey SuitGuy!

#1 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:50 am

There was this article in the Wall Street Journal last week about the Fake Bad Test. It says it is used to tell if someone is a maligerer for law suits. The article said I could find the test on line, but.... I couldn't.

Do you have access to it? I would like to see the questions.

Appa23

#2 Post by Appa23 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:32 am

Paul Lees-Haley, PhD, is a psychologist who has come up with a 43 question test to separate the truly disabled from malingerers.

Lees-Haley studied the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), a standard tool for determining personality characteristics. He isolated 43 questions that he believes, taken together, clearly separate the truly disabled from malingerers and frauds. Lees-Haley's brainchild, dubbed the "Fake Bad Scale" test, was developed in 1991 and is finding its way into courtrooms around the country. Lees-Haley is available to testify in person on behalf of insurance companies as an expert witness. He charges $3,500 to evaluate a claimant and $600 per hour for depositions and testimony. Worth every penny, I'm sure, if his testimony results in the denial of benefits to a claimant.

Testing the Test
Below you will find the entire test, a deceptively simple 43 questions to be answered "true" or False." A "T" before the question indicates a "true" response is indicative of malingering. Likewise for "false."

T There seems to be a lump in my throat much of the time.
F My sex life is satisfactory.
T I am troubled by attacks of nausea and vomiting.
T I am bothered by an upset stomach several times a week.
T I have nightmares every few nights.
T I find it hard to keep my mind on a task or job.
T My sleep is fitful and disturbed.
T Much of the time my head seems to hurt all over.
F I do not always tell the truth.
T Once a week or oftener, I suddenly feel hot all over, for no real reason.
F I hardly ever feel pain in the back of my neck.
F I think a great many people exaggerate their misfortunes in order to gain the sympathy and help of others.
T I am troubled by discomfort in the pit of my stomach every few days or oftener.
F I think that most people would lie to get ahead.
F Most people will use somewhat unfair means to gain profit or advantage rather than to lose it.
T I have a great deal of stomach trouble.
F I have never vomited blood or coughed up blood.
F I do not tire quickly.
F I seldom or never have dizzy spells.
F I have very few headaches.
F I have few or no pains.
F I don't blame other people for trying to grab everything they can get in this world.
F I do not blame a person for taking advantage of people who leave themselves open to it.
F My eyesight is as good as it has been for years.
F At times I have been so entertained by the cleverness of some criminals that I have hoped they would get away with it.
T Everything tastes the same.
F I do not often notice my ears ringing or buzzing.
F I have used alcohol excessively.
T I am so touchy on some subjects that I can't talk about them.
F I am more sensitive than most other people.
T I have more trouble concentrating than others seem to have.
T I have sometimes felt that difficulties were piling up so high that I could not overcome them.
F I can remember "playing sick" to get out of something.
F I have done some bad things in the past that I never tell anybody about.
F Most people will use somewhat unfair means to get ahead in life.
F There are certain people whom I dislike so much that I am inwardly pleased when they are catching it for something they have done.
F When I am cornered I tell a portion of the truth which is not likely to hurt me.
T I feel tired a good deal of the time.
T I sometimes feel that I am about to go to pieces.
F I am not feeling much pressure or stress these days.
T I am so sick of what I have to do every day that I just want to get out of it all.
T I have recently considered killing myself.
F I usually have enough energy to do my work.

A point total of less than 20 indicates a genuine disability. A point total of 23 or more is indicative of malingering.

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: Hey SuitGuy!

#3 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:41 am

peacock2121 wrote:There was this article in the Wall Street Journal last week about the Fake Bad Test. It says it is used to tell if someone is a maligerer for law suits. The article said I could find the test on line, but.... I couldn't.

This is apparently a sub set of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. The questions on the MMPI are copyrighted and only available to Psychologists.

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/news/pr011107.htm
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:53 am

Appa23 wrote:Paul Lees-Haley, PhD, is a psychologist who has come up with a 43 question test to separate the truly disabled from malingerers.

Lees-Haley studied the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI), a standard tool for determining personality characteristics. He isolated 43 questions that he believes, taken together, clearly separate the truly disabled from malingerers and frauds. Lees-Haley's brainchild, dubbed the "Fake Bad Scale" test, was developed in 1991 and is finding its way into courtrooms around the country. Lees-Haley is available to testify in person on behalf of insurance companies as an expert witness. He charges $3,500 to evaluate a claimant and $600 per hour for depositions and testimony. Worth every penny, I'm sure, if his testimony results in the denial of benefits to a claimant.

Testing the Test
Below you will find the entire test, a deceptively simple 43 questions to be answered "true" or False." A "T" before the question indicates a "true" response is indicative of malingering. Likewise for "false."

T There seems to be a lump in my throat much of the time.
F My sex life is satisfactory.
T I am troubled by attacks of nausea and vomiting.
T I am bothered by an upset stomach several times a week.
T I have nightmares every few nights.
T I find it hard to keep my mind on a task or job.
T My sleep is fitful and disturbed.
T Much of the time my head seems to hurt all over.
F I do not always tell the truth.
T Once a week or oftener, I suddenly feel hot all over, for no real reason.
F I hardly ever feel pain in the back of my neck.
F I think a great many people exaggerate their misfortunes in order to gain the sympathy and help of others.
T I am troubled by discomfort in the pit of my stomach every few days or oftener.
F I think that most people would lie to get ahead.
F Most people will use somewhat unfair means to gain profit or advantage rather than to lose it.
T I have a great deal of stomach trouble.
F I have never vomited blood or coughed up blood.
F I do not tire quickly.
F I seldom or never have dizzy spells.
F I have very few headaches.
F I have few or no pains.
F I don't blame other people for trying to grab everything they can get in this world.
F I do not blame a person for taking advantage of people who leave themselves open to it.
F My eyesight is as good as it has been for years.
F At times I have been so entertained by the cleverness of some criminals that I have hoped they would get away with it.
T Everything tastes the same.
F I do not often notice my ears ringing or buzzing.
F I have used alcohol excessively.
T I am so touchy on some subjects that I can't talk about them.
F I am more sensitive than most other people.
T I have more trouble concentrating than others seem to have.
T I have sometimes felt that difficulties were piling up so high that I could not overcome them.
F I can remember "playing sick" to get out of something.
F I have done some bad things in the past that I never tell anybody about.
F Most people will use somewhat unfair means to get ahead in life.
F There are certain people whom I dislike so much that I am inwardly pleased when they are catching it for something they have done.
F When I am cornered I tell a portion of the truth which is not likely to hurt me.
T I feel tired a good deal of the time.
T I sometimes feel that I am about to go to pieces.
F I am not feeling much pressure or stress these days.
T I am so sick of what I have to do every day that I just want to get out of it all.
T I have recently considered killing myself.
F I usually have enough energy to do my work.

A point total of less than 20 indicates a genuine disability. A point total of 23 or more is indicative of malingering.
You are not suitguy, nor do you play him on TV.

and I thank you.

peacock2121

Re: Hey SuitGuy!

#5 Post by peacock2121 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:54 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:There was this article in the Wall Street Journal last week about the Fake Bad Test. It says it is used to tell if someone is a maligerer for law suits. The article said I could find the test on line, but.... I couldn't.

This is apparently a sub set of the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. The questions on the MMPI are copyrighted and only available to Psychologists.

http://www.pearsonassessments.com/news/pr011107.htm
I found exactly what you found.

Makes me wonder how HoltDad got what he got.