Lyrically Speaking - 1/28/13

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Lyrically Speaking - 1/28/13

#26 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:43 pm

The Carp wrote:Hmmm...went back to the original game, and that was when I wasn't playing! I think I had been absentee for January and looked at the game when I returned in February. This one had bumped forward into the next month with discussion afterwards. So I know what I WOULD have kroxed back then!

So you were having a DaveSenior moment.....? :P

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

mellytu74

#27 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:04 pm

Spoiler
1. Teenage diplomat

Blinded by the Light -- Manfred Mann (going with the chart version here)

2. Sulky smile

Family Man - Hall & Oates

3. Thundering velvet hand

Leader of the Band - Dan Fogelberg

4. Melt your popcicle

California Gurlz - Katy Perry

5. Hungry reggae

blanking on song -- I am hearing Steely Dan

6. Five year plans

Who'll Stop the Rain - CCR

7. Pocket full of mumbles

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkle

8. Gemlike flame

Nope

9. Brady Bunch trousers

Parents Just Don't Understand -- DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

10. Sixteen Parkside Lane

Taxi -- Harry Chapin

11. Hurricane Annie

You Ain't No Sandy (Asbury Park) -- Chris Christie

12. Bowel-shaking earthquakes.

Assail him, impale him. A Sirius XM song but that's all I got.

Kroxquo Bonus: Name another song with artist that contains a small, unique snippet of lyric, and provide that snippet for full credit.

Bigger than a Honda - Pink Cadillac - Bruce Springsteen

5 Point Bonus: One of my favorite bits of personal trivia to throw about from time to time.... one of the above artists performed the only concert I have ever gone to in my life. Which one? (Song number is fine for the blind squirrels out there)

#10 - Harry Chapin

Jessie

#28 Post by Jessie » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:05 am

Snippets
In a complete and total coincidence (as in, I had no idea when I scheduled the game), today's Encore Monday theme was first presented in the LSWE on 1/28/11. Today, we have TheSearchIsOn's favorite LS format of all time, the short phrase LS! Below are 12 extremely small lyric snippets from songs that span the decades. These l'il bits are, so far as I can tell, unique to only one song that could even reasonably be considered to have been popular. They may seem familiar, but can you figure out what song they come from? This is the PERFECT game for the vague at heart....

1 point for the title, 1 point for the artist....

1. Teenage diplomat
Blinded by the Light – Manfred Mann

2. Sulky smile
Classical Gas - The Crop Dusters

Hand Jive – The Vaselines

4. Melt your popcicle
Katy Perry & Snoop Dogg – California Squrls
I’m somewhat embarrassed to admit I have this song on my iPod.

5. Hungry reggae
FM – Steely Dan :shock: I remembered being shocked years ago when I learned that Steely Dan was named after a shiny sex toy mentioned in The Naked Lunch.

6. Five year plans

No Idea - Artist Formerly Known As Vamomof3

8. Gemlike flame
Venus – Banarama
If the answer is only partially incorrect, do we get partial credit?
:wink:

9. Brady Bunch trousers
Sharp Dressed Man – Said No One Ever

11. Hurricane Annie

12. Bowel-shaking earthquakes

Kroxquo Bonus: Name another song with artist that contains a small, unique snippet of lyric, and provide that snippet for full credit. Real Answer ~ "Greasy slicked down body" Trampled Underfoot – Led Zeppelin
Not the inspiration for this song...

Gratuitous Squirrel Answer Just for Grins ~ "Cherry chapstick" I Kissed a Squirrel - Katy Furry

5 Point Bonus: One of my favorite bits of personal trivia to throw about from time to time.... one of the above artists performed the only concert I have ever gone to in my life. Which one? (Song number is fine for the blind squirrels out there) 6

Winner of Sh&%house Rats Award 2010
Co-Winner of Sh&%house Rats Award 2014

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#29 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 am

An enigma wrapped in mystery
1. Teenage diplomat

Blinded by the Light, Manfred Mann

2. Sulky smile

Leader of the Band, Dan Fogelberg

4. Melt your popcicle

5. Hungry reggae

6. Five year plans

We Didn't Start the Fire, Billy Joel

The Boxer, Simon and Garfunkel

8. Gemlike flame

9. Brady Bunch trousers

11. Hurricane Annie

Kroxquo Bonus: Name another song with artist that contains a small, unique snippet of lyric, and provide that snippet for full credit. American Pie, Don McLean, "February made me shiver"

5 Point Bonus: One of my favorite bits of personal trivia to throw about from time to time.... one of the above artists performed the only concert I have ever gone to in my life. Which one? (Song number is fine for the blind squirrels out there) No. 9, of course.
--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#30 Post by Estonut » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:46 am

littlebeast13
In a complete and total coincidence (as in, I had no idea when I scheduled the game), today's Encore Monday theme was first presented in the LSWE on 1/28/11. Today, we have TheSearchIsOn's favorite LS format of all time, the short phrase LS! Below are 12 extremely small lyric snippets from songs that span the decades. These l'il bits are, so far as I can tell, unique to only one song that could even reasonably be considered to have been popular. They may seem familiar, but can you figure out what song they come from? This is the PERFECT game for the vague at heart.... :P :P :P

1 point for the title, 1 point for the artist....

1. Teenage diplomat

Blinded by the Light - Bruce Springsteen

2. Sulky smile

Family Man - H&O

Alone in the Bathroom Wearing a Glove - lb13

4. Melt your popsicle

California Squirrels - Katy Perry

5. Hungry reggae

FM - Steely Dan

6. Five year plans

The Boxer - S&G

8. Gemlike flame

Kyrie - Mr. Mister

9. Brady Bunch trousers

I Went Shopping at the Marcia Store - lb13

Taxi - Harry Chapin

11. Hurricane Annie

Sign o' the Times - Prince

The Distance - Cake

Kroxquo Bonus: Name another song with artist that contains a small, unique snippet of lyric, and provide that snippet for full credit.

5:15 - The Who "Sexually knowing" or "Celibate sitting," take your pick. I saw them perform this tonight in Anaheim. W00t!!!11

5 Point Bonus: One of my favorite bits of personal trivia to throw about from time to time.... one of the above artists performed the only concert I have ever gone to in my life. Which one? (Song number is fine for the blind squirrels out there)

Of the ones that I know, I can't see you at any of them but Mr. Mister.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Sistine Fanny
Underground Artiste

#31 Post by Sistine Fanny » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:08 am

Spoiler
1. Teenage diplomat

Blinded by the Light - Manfred Mann

2. Sulky smile

4. Melt your popcicle

California Squirrels - Katy Perry f/Snoop Dogg

5. Hungry reggae

6. Five year plans

8. Gemlike flame

Kyrie - Mr. Mister

9. Brady Bunch trousers

Parents Just Don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

11. Hurricane Annie

Sign of the Times - Prince

A Milli - Lil' Wayne - Coconut Derriere

Dan Fogelberg
It's the Final Countdown.....

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#32 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:51 am

1. Teenage diplomat
Blinded By the Light - Manfred Mann, or of course, Bruce Springsteen

2. Sulky smile
Family Man - Hall & Oates (I always loved the little Atari-like icons in this video)

4. Melt your popcicle
California Gurls - Katy Perry (Yes, the Annie Bonus counted on this song even though Katy can't splel. Funny thing about this song, my radio station I listen to does not play the Snoop Dogg part in this one, and when this song came on at work one night, our support manager at the time mentioned he thought it was weird my station was playing a Snoop Dogg song. I just kinda looked at him like he was crazy, and went on about my bizness. When it got to where the Snoop rap is, that's when he commented, "Hey, they cut out Snoop Dogg!" I think I've heard the version con perro just once before, probably on Music Choice...)

5. Hungry reggae
FM - Steely Dan (I dropped the "no static at all" line on one of my co-workers literally 2 hours ago, and after about 2 minutes of silence he said, "where do I know that from?" That was a bigger snippet than I gave you here, so he would probably flunk this LS game....)

6. Five year plans
Who'll Stop the Rain - Creedence Clearwater Revival

The Boxer - Simon & Garfunkel

8. Gemlike flame
Kyrie - Mr. Mister

9. Brady Bunch trousers
Parents Just Don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince

Taxi - Harry Chapin (Thanks Eyegor and Krox for pointing out that Chapin did a sequel "Sequel" to this song. I had no idea...)

11. Hurricane Annie
Sign o' the Times - Prince (Where was starfish? I know this is off of one of his favorite albums of all time...)

The Distance - Cake (How stubborn of me not to check out Cake back when mini first started talking about them. Of course, she kept dropping "Nugget" on me, which I don't like at all, but I really enjoy some of their other hits. You have not heard the last from Cake in the LSWSE.... hint, hint, hint!)

5 Point Bonus: One of my favorite bits of personal trivia to throw about from time to time.... one of the above artists performed the only concert I have ever gone to in my life. Which one? (Song number is fine for the blind squirrels out there) - Dan Fogelberg (Look up Rosie's cheat sheet.... er, answers if you want to see the several times I mentioned this on the Bored before....)
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

TheSearchIsOn

#33 Post by TheSearchIsOn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:11 am

I feel better now. While I should have gotten "Blinded by the Light" and "Leader of the Band", that is about it. I don't know the words to "California Gurls", "Parents Just Don't Understand", and "Who'll Stop the Rain" all that well. I have barely even heard of "The Boxer", "Taxi", and "Sign o' the Times". The same goes for the musical act Cake. As for "Kyrie", I always thought that line was "My body burns oxygen like flame".
President, Big Taste Nation

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#34 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:16 am

TheSearchIsOn wrote:I feel better now. While I should have gotten "Blinded by the Light" and "Leader of the Band", that is about it. I don't know the words to "California Gurls", "Parents Just Don't Understand", and "Who'll Stop the Rain" all that well. I have barely even heard of "The Boxer", "Taxi", and "Sign o' the Times". The same goes for the musical act Cake. As for "Kyrie", I always thought that line was "My body burns oxygen like flame".

The bad news is that I may make this game an annual tradition. It's fun how many different unique lines you will find in songs...

The good news is, a future Encore Monday game will feature one of your favorite past LSWE themes....

lb13

clem21
Nose Exploder

#35 Post by clem21 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:38 am

TheSearchIsOn wrote:I feel better now. While I should have gotten "Blinded by the Light" and "Leader of the Band", that is about it. I don't know the words to "California Gurls", "Parents Just Don't Understand", and "Who'll Stop the Rain" all that well. I have barely even heard of "The Boxer", "Taxi", and "Sign o' the Times". The same goes for the musical act Cake. As for "Kyrie", I always thought that line was "My body burns oxygen like flame".
Ha, I really like Kyrie but I always thought the line was "burns again like flames."
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#36 Post by littlebeast13 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:16 am

JJC Points:

mini gets 2 JJC points for thinking about the original game presciently, and for having a DaveSenior moment...

frank gets a supermax for answer #4 and answer #4 alone....

clem gets a supermax for his answers (especially epic diarrhea) and for retreating to his special island....

Saucy gets 3 JJC points for more funny answers...

mntetn gets a JJC point for lifetime achievement thanks to his interesting split blanket guesses...

Eyegor gets 2 JJC points for Sequel and Tanned B Hind....

Rosie gets another cheating supermax (well earned thanks to the Fogelberg research), and it will be applied to her joint account with Sprots, and she will LIKE IT!

Beebs gets another Ed Gein supermax for picturing Eddie Haskell and MILFs....

Krox gets a supermax for Sequel and for Frankie's popcicle...

TBone gets 2 JJC points for his interpretation of Brady Bunch trousers...

Search gets a JJC pity point, in part because the only song he got was one few others got....

melly gets 2 JJC points for Chris Christie and for at least recognizing The Distance...

Jessie had a supermax practically from the first couple answers she gave, and I very nearly took it away thanks to that HORRENDOUS picture she tacked onto the end of her post... :shock:

Esto gets 2 more assault the meister JJC points...

I had to laugh at all of the Harry Chapin answers for the bonus, thought I awarded no JJC points since there were so many. But since I gave my birth year in the previous game, you would have known I was only 6 when Harry left us. Of course, I saw Fogelberg when I was 9, so I guess it wasn't that much of a stretch....

smiler 4
mini 19+2
frank 8+5
Marley 2
vandal 10
Weasel 12
clem 10+5
Saucy 2+3
mntetn 2+1
Eyegor 12+2
Rosie 0+5
Beebs 0+5
elwood 8
etaoin 10
Hottie 6
Krox 10+5
TBone 21+2
mike 6 (mikehardware is getting too long to type out.... how have we never come up with a shorter name for you after all these years???)
Search 4+1
melly 19+2
Jessie 9+5
Bob 8
Esto 23+2
Fanny 22