A special QOD just for fantine

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mntetn

A special QOD just for fantine

#1 Post by mntetn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:06 pm

fantine33 wrote:West of the Mississippi kind of got the shaft today, didn't it?
1. Reno NV to Sacramento CA
2. Salt Lake City UT to Las Vegas NV
3. Boise ID to Portland OR
4. Albuquerque NM to El Paso TX
5. San Diego CA to Yuma AZ
6. Denver CO to Green River UT
7. Little Rock AR to Dallas TX
8. Olympia WA to Salem OR
9. Springfield MO to Tulsa OK
10. Spokane WA to Rapid City SD
11. Oklahoma City OK to Wichita KS
12. Barstow CA to Flagstaff AZ
13. Shreveport LA to Abilene TX
14. Umatilla OR to Yakima WA
15. Tucson AZ to Nogales MX

Bonus: Honolulu HI to ... well, just name any 2 Interstates in HI

fantine33

#2 Post by fantine33 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:50 pm

Ha, here is my answer to every highway question.

If I want to go north or south, I take I-25.

If I want to go east or west, I take I-70.

Well, actually if I want to go west, I go north or south first, because there's a bit of a mountain in the way.

If I want to go to Nirvana, I take I-25 to Albuquerque and turn right on Unser Blvd. And keep going until I smell dirty c-notes, stale air and cleaning fluid.

fantine33

#3 Post by fantine33 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:51 pm

Should I have spoilered that?

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:53 pm

fantine33 wrote:Should I have spoilered that?
Since you were the only one invited to play, I guess not!

The question about interstates in Hawaii is still the best one. :wink:

tanstaafl2

Re: A special QOD just for fantine

#5 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:59 pm

mntetn wrote:

Spoiler
That I could do easily, having driven them all!

H1 or the Lunalilo Freeway runs through Honolulu starting at the Kahala Mall in the east, just below the home of my girlfriends parents, and runs past downtown, the airport and Pearl Harbor almost to the west coast of the island. It is usually bumper to bumper for a good portion of the day during the work week.

I believe the downtown bypass portion of H1 is H-201.

H2 runs to the north from Pearl City to Schofield Barracks in the middle of the island.

H3 is the fun one that runs from town through the tunnel in the Pali to the Marine Base at Kaneohe Bay.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

christie1111
11:11

#6 Post by christie1111 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:29 pm

H1 and H2!

They do not follow the N-S or E-W rules either!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

christie1111
11:11

#7 Post by christie1111 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:31 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:
mntetn wrote:

Spoiler

H1 or the Lunalilo Freeway runs through Honolulu starting at the Kahala Mall in the east, just below the home of my girlfriends parents, and runs past downtown, the airport and Pearl Harbor almost to the west coast of the island. It is usually bumper to bumper for a good portion of the day during the work week.

christie note - most people are surprised to find out how many lanes there are going each way

I believe the downtown bypass portion of H1 is H-201.

H2 runs to the north from Pearl City to Schofield Barracks in the middle of the island.

H3 is the fun one that runs from town through the tunnel in the Pali to the Marine Base at Kaneohe Bay.

christie note - this is a good tunnel to try holding your breathe along the length, prety tough for most

"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#8 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:40 pm

I can understand calling H1 and H2 "highways." How can they be called "interstates," however?

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:45 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I can understand calling H1 and H2 "highways." How can they be called "interstates," however?
The federal gravy train cannot be denied to a state just because of some little inconvenient facts of geography! :wink:

tlynn78

#10 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:50 pm

can understand calling H1 and H2 "highways." How can they be called "interstates," however
Just because one cannot travel interstatally on H1and H2 right now doesn't mean that will always be the case. Continental drift, and all that, you know..

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:57 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I can understand calling H1 and H2 "highways." How can they be called "interstates," however?
They're waiting for the bridge to be built.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

tanstaafl2

#12 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:05 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Just so.

Perhaps a legacy of time as well as the fact that are funded from the same program according to wiki. Several highways labeled as interstates today in CONUS do not in fact go "interstate". But they are still part of the interstate system. That would include many auxiliary interstate roads or bypasses such as I-285 around Atlanta or I-240 in good ol' OKC.

But even one that is not a loop or bypass around a city can be entirely in one state as is the case with I-4 in Florida or I-12 in Louisiana (which, having driven it many times, is really a very convenient bypass of New Orleans and Lake Pontchartrain).

Other intrastate "interstate" highways include I-8, I-86 and I-97.

The Hawaii "interstates" meet interstate standards. There are also 4 designated "Interstate" highways within Alaska and three in Puerto Rico although unlike Hawaii they are not marked as such and having driven parts of A-1 I can tell you are not divided limited access roads in the traditional sense but rather just regular 2 lane roads that happen to get funded from the same pot of money as the rest of the interstate system.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

tanstaafl2

#13 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:09 pm

christie1111 wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:

christie note - most people are surprised to find out how many lanes there are going each way
As you well know it is surprising they have crammed as much in there as they have. They had to bulldoze parts of the city as it was to squeeze them in. And they need about twice what they have to handle the current and future traffic at the rate things are going!
~Mark Twain

~tanstaafl2

NellyLunatic1980

#14 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:53 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Do Ted Stevens and Don Young have anything to do with that bridge?

mrkelley23

#15 Post by mrkelley23 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:09 am

I have a question:

Why does a question that is clearly labelled for one person have thirteen replies?

Wait, make that fourteen.

Never mind.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

peacock2121

#16 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:17 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Where is Mr Stevens when Hawaii needs him?

Those two states should stick together.

peacock2121

#17 Post by peacock2121 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:18 am

mrkelley23 wrote:I have a question:

Why does a question that is clearly labelled for one person have thirteen replies?

Wait, make that fourteen.

Never mind.
Mintyman is not the boss of any of us.