Jeopardy audition

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
reeg2223

Jeopardy audition

#1 Post by reeg2223 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:24 am

I took the Jeopardy online test last month (mostly because the audition city is near me) and, by some miracle, I guess I passed this first stage. I'm mosre multiple choice smart, as opposed to pronouncing words right smart, so I'm a bit nervous about this. Has anybody been to the second stage of the Jeopardy auditions lately? What should I expect? What's the written test like? Any help would be great! :(

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#2 Post by Rexer25 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 am

I've never gotten beyond the online test, but I wanted to say Congratulations! You'll do great!
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

peacock2121

#3 Post by peacock2121 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:42 am

Hot Diggity Dog!

Good for you.

I only know what others have said.

What I know is that if you did good on the on-line test - you don't have much to fear about the in-person one. I understand it is just like the on-line one, except the question is read to you. I think you have the same amount of time to pull the answer from your head and write it down.

Then you do the personality part, which you will ace!

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: Jeopardy audition

#4 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:50 am

reeg2223 wrote:I took the Jeopardy online test last month (mostly because the audition city is near me) and, by some miracle, I guess I passed this first stage. I'm mosre multiple choice smart, as opposed to pronouncing words right smart, so I'm a bit nervous about this. Has anybody been to the second stage of the Jeopardy auditions lately? What should I expect? What's the written test like? Any help would be great! :(
I don't know why the give the test again but they do. The answers are flashed up on a screen and you have 8 seconds to write your response but it doesn't have to be in the form of a question. Then you play the mock game, which is the important part. Try to respond to the coordinator during the explanation of the game and the icebreaker period.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:52 am

Congratulations and good luck, Reeg!

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:55 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:I don't know why they give the test again but they do.
General consensus is that it's a double-check against those who might have had "assistance" on the online test. If there's a slight difference in scores, there's nothing to worry about. If one does substantially worse on the in-person test, then the online results will be suspect.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 pm

You will be required to take the test again. The in-person test is easier, in my opinion, than the online test.

You will also be required to get up an play a mock game. They want to see how you respond while playing the game. Practice asking for a clue. "I'll take Planets for $600..." They will also ask you questions about yourself while you are playing the mock game, so be prepared.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:34 pm

reeg2223 wrote:I took the Jeopardy online test last month (mostly because the audition city is near me) and, by some miracle, I guess I passed this first stage. I'm mosre multiple choice smart, as opposed to pronouncing words right smart, so I'm a bit nervous about this. Has anybody been to the second stage of the Jeopardy auditions lately? What should I expect? What's the written test like? Any help would be great! :(
The second stage is what used to pass as the first stage - the audition. You will take another test, this time written. The answers will appear on a screen and Johnny Gilbert will read them. You will have 7 seconds to write down your answer. I don't think anyone "fails" this test, as was the case in the old days - I think it's more a matter of making sure that the person who took the online test is the same person taking the written test. However more important than anything else is the mock game and interview. When playing the game be sure that you speak loudly and distinctly and above all keep the game moving (don't dally when picking a category). You will have an "interview" (like Alex on the show) and may be asked about one of the "five interesting things" you put on your sheet or they may come at you with a totally unexpected question to see how you handle yourself.

Best of luck, reeg!
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Peter5858

#9 Post by Peter5858 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:39 pm

Congratulations. What audition city?

trevor_macfee

#10 Post by trevor_macfee » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:56 pm

Congratulations!

I can tell you how it went when I did the audition after the online test back in 2006 . . .

The audition was at a meeting room in a hotel. We waited outside the meeting room until the "appointed time" and were invited in. I'm not sure if this is the case with all the auditions, but it turned out a couple of the J! staffers were also out in the waiting area - don't know if how you act and interact figures into their decision, but I would follow the advice someone posted somewhere that said to assume you are auditioning from the moment you arrive.

After getting seated in the meeting room, they explained the process. We filled out an application with standard game show questions. Then we took a typical J! 50-question test - the clues were on the monitor, and we had to write down responses. One big change from the pre-online auditions is that the tests were NOT graded at that time.

We moved right into picture-taking - everyone got a polaroid taken. I had mine retaken because I really looked funny (funnier than usual anyway - I had a sort of in-between, about-to-smile expression).

Then it was on to the mock game. I do not remember how they divided us up, but we were in groups of three who came up and played a verision of the game. There was much coaching during this part - you're ringing in too fast, or too slow, speak up, etc. There is plenty of advice elsewhere about how to play the game - correct answers aren't as important at this point as enthusiastic participation and following directions, etc.

After each mock game session, the participants had a minute or two to talk about themselves - some folks were just allowed to talk about whatever, some were asked specific questions. Some of the questions were based on the application, some were not.

After everyone was done, they said we'd be in the pool for a year (the implication, but not explicit, was that everyone who had gotten to that point - passed the online test - was in the pool).

Hope that helps. Have fun! Remember, the quest is part of the prize.

(Incidentally, does anyone know if the questions for the 2006 online tests are posted anywhere. On the J! board all I can find is sort of a sketchy list but not the actual clues and categories. Thanks.)

reeg2223

#11 Post by reeg2223 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:41 pm

Thanks for all the help. I'm nervous just putting on a suit for these things! I think I just squeezed by with the online audition, so another test could go either way. Cross fingers!
Are some of the auditioneers too aggressive playing the game? About how many auditioneers will be there?
The audition's in Minneapolis in March.

geoffil

#12 Post by geoffil » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:52 pm

Congrats on getting picked. Have fun and enjoy!

Catfish

#13 Post by Catfish » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:17 am

reeg2223 wrote:Are some of the auditioneers too aggressive playing the game?
No one in my group was overly aggressive in the game. If there were errors, it was on the side of timidity. While you are watching at home in preparation, practice not only answering but also immediately declaring the next category and amount, almost as if it's part of your answer: "Who is Lisa Simpson Before and After four hundred?"
About how many auditioneers will be there?
There were about 50 in my group.
Good luck!
Catfish

slam

#14 Post by slam » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:28 am

reeg2223 wrote:Thanks for all the help. I'm nervous just putting on a suit for these things! I think I just squeezed by with the online audition, so another test could go either way. Cross fingers!
Are some of the auditioneers too aggressive playing the game? About how many auditioneers will be there?
When there was no on-line test, the groups tended to run 50 to 75 or so since they threw most of the people out of the room after the test. Since the advent of the online test, the groups have seemed to be running in the 20 to 25 range since all the people end up participating in the mock game. My audition last June in NYC had 21 and I heard about two other auditions held then that were approximately the same size.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#15 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:39 am

slam wrote:
reeg2223 wrote:Thanks for all the help. I'm nervous just putting on a suit for these things! I think I just squeezed by with the online audition, so another test could go either way. Cross fingers!
When there was no on-line test, the groups tended to run 50 to 75 or so since they threw most of the people out of the room after the test. Since the advent of the online test, the groups have seemed to be running in the 20 to 25 range since all the people end up participating in the mock game. My audition last June in NYC had 21 and I heard about two other auditions held then that were approximately the same size.
That's about the size of my audition group in Atlanta last year
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Catfish

#16 Post by Catfish » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:54 am

Catfish wrote:There were about 50 in my group.
slam wrote:the groups have seemed to be running in the 20 to 25 range since all the people end up participating in the mock game. My audition last June in NYC had 21 and I heard about two other auditions held then that were approximately the same size.
Slam's right. There were 50 give or take 30 in my group. Seemed like 50, though. I was in the first row, which I recommend if you can manage it. Now that I think about it, there were 19 in my group, and I recall thinking that it probably should have been 20 and wondering about the 20th person. I think I got the 50 from, in sizing up the competition, thinking that they must have auditioned 150 online test takers that day. Sorry about any confusion I may have caused. As I proved when I actually got to J!, I ain't so good with numbers.
Catfish

Spock

#17 Post by Spock » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:59 am

I am at 3 in MPLS-What time are you?

earendel

#18 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:01 am

reeg2223 wrote:Are some of the auditioneers too aggressive playing the game? About how many auditioneers will be there?
On the contrary - the contestants tend to be far too timid and the APs have to encourage them to speak up. If you do it from the start, you'll stand out.
reeg2223 wrote:The audition's in Minneapolis in March.
Interesting - the Brain Bus is coming to Minneapolis next Friday (the 7th) and there's a possibility (fleeting at this moment) that I may show up for it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Kazoo65

Re: J! audition

#19 Post by Kazoo65 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:13 am

I don't have any new advice, other than pay attention to the category-if they say "Crossword Clues-R", then you had better write down a word that starts with R.

The mock game part is really important. They take notes on everybody's performance. They will tell you how to work the buzzers. This part can be intimidating because there isn't really a good way to prepare for it.

Good luck! (from someone who probably won't be auditioning this year-after my blah performance on the online test)
I'm just a game show nerd.

Catfish

#20 Post by Catfish » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:50 am

Kazoo65 wrote:They will tell you how to work the buzzers. This part can be intimidating because there isn't really a good way to prepare for it.
Au contraire! If you haven't started already, starting today, watch Jeopardy! with a retractable ballpoint pen in your hand. Leave the point retracted so that there is a little springy pressure on the clicker part. The whole time the game is in session, do not lose contact between your thumb or forefinger (depending on your style, I chose the forefinger technique because I use a mouse all day) and the pen. To ring in, do not click the pen all the way so that the point comes out. Just gently and constantly move your digit (remember, never losing contact with the pen), so that the clicker moves only about 1/16"; don't stop moving your finger till someone gets called on. You will receive a most excellent Jeopardy! pen at the audition. With this you will practice signalling device activation every day as you watch Jeopardy!.
Catfish

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#21 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Catfish wrote:Au contraire! If you haven't started already, starting today, watch Jeopardy! with a retractable ballpoint pen in your hand. Leave the point retracted so that there is a little springy pressure on the clicker part. The whole time the game is in session, do not lose contact between your thumb or forefinger (depending on your style, I chose the forefinger technique because I use a mouse all day) and the pen. To ring in, do not click the pen all the way so that the point comes out. Just gently and constantly move your digit (remember, never losing contact with the pen), so that the clicker moves only about 1/16"; don't stop moving your finger till someone gets called on. You will receive a most excellent Jeopardy! pen at the audition. With this you will practice signalling device activation every day as you watch Jeopardy!.
My technique was to use the "Pause" button on my TiVo remote. The goal was to freeze the frame after the camera cut back to the contestants but before any of the podia started lighting up. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Peter5858

#22 Post by Peter5858 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:06 pm

Bob78164 wrote:My technique was to use the "Pause" button on my TiVo remote. The goal was to freeze the frame after the camera cut back to the contestants but before any of the podia started lighting up. --Bob
As I understand it, though, they have lights on the perimeter of the board that light up as soon as the question has been read, enabling the buzzers. How do you practice for that? It's one thing to practice clicking at the end of the reading of the question, but does that have the potential to cause you to buzz too early (or too late), as the circuit is presumably governed by the light and not the voice?

Peter5858

#23 Post by Peter5858 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:07 pm

Kazoo65 wrote: Good luck! (from someone who probably won't be auditioning this year-after my blah performance on the online test)
Well, you never know. In any event, my sense is they are sending out invitations on Friday afternoons. So maybe you will be pleasantly surprised tomorrow. Good luck.

Peter5858

#24 Post by Peter5858 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:14 pm

Did anyone take the make-up test last night? I didn't even know there was such a thing, but evidently so.

http://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/...lash_index.php

Bob Juch

#25 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:15 pm

Peter5858 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:My technique was to use the "Pause" button on my TiVo remote. The goal was to freeze the frame after the camera cut back to the contestants but before any of the podia started lighting up. --Bob
As I understand it, though, they have lights on the perimeter of the board that light up as soon as the question has been read, enabling the buzzers. How do you practice for that? It's one thing to practice clicking at the end of the reading of the question, but does that have the potential to cause you to buzz too early (or too late), as the circuit is presumably governed by the light and not the voice?
According to Ken Jennings, you'd better be starting to press the button before the lights come on!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.