Olympic Torch to climb Mt. Everest

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
MarleysGh0st

Olympic Torch to climb Mt. Everest

#1 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:36 am

The torch is always carried on long, promotional tours before the Olympic games. This year, the Chinese plan to carry it up Mt. Everest.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080227/sc_ ... erest_dc_1
Beijing scientists said they had finished tests to ensure the torch can stay alight in the tough, oxygen-sparse conditions that leave even experienced climbers struggling.

"We are fully confident that the Olympic Games torch can certainly be alight on Everest peak, and everyone will be able to see a bright flame," Ma Lin, the head of the Beijing government's science committee said, according to Wednesday's Beijing News.
Seeing how tough that climb already is, I can't imagine anyone carrying the torch at the same time. :shock:

tanstaafl2

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:47 pm

Would it even burn at that altitude? Not only would they have to carry fuel for the torch but they may need oxygen as well. If they plan to carry it the whole way with a flame. Sounds like the plan is to go up the southside from Nepal and down the north side into Tibet according to the ever reliable wiki.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh