Dumbledore is gay

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Dumbledore is gay

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:17 am

J.K. Rowling outed Albus Dumbledore yesterday, explaining in response to a fan question that Dumbledore was gay. When I read Deathly Hallows with The Little Guy (we're up to Prisoner of Azkaban), I'll have to see whether that sheds a new light on the book. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#2 Post by BackInTex » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:59 am

Give me a break! :x

She can say what she wants now, even that Hagrid was a transexual. What does it matter? Unless it was written in the book that he was, then he either was or wasn't and it doesn't matter.

Oh, and he is a fictional character who's existence is only relevent in the words on the pages of those books. So who gives a rats ass?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:39 pm

BackInTex wrote:Give me a break! :x

She can say what she wants now, even that Hagrid was a transexual. What does it matter? Unless it was written in the book that he was, then he either was or wasn't and it doesn't matter.
It kind of throws a new light on his relationship with Grindlewald, doesn't it?
BackInTex wrote:Oh, and he is a fictional character who's existence is only relevent in the words on the pages of those books. So who gives a rats ass?
Anyone who cares about the characters in those books. Judging from the book sales, the movie ticket sales, and the level of passion on various discussion boards, I'd estimate that quite a few people give a rat's ass. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:43 pm

I would imagine that one of the characters is into bestiality, too. Lupin? Or whatever his name was?
Well, then

BackInTex

#5 Post by BackInTex » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:[Anyone who cares about the characters in those books. Judging from the book sales, the movie ticket sales, and the level of passion on various discussion boards, I'd estimate that quite a few people give a rat's ass. --Bob
Like I said, the characters are only relevent in the books as written. I understand a lot of people care about the stories and characters in the book. But outside the books, they don't exist.

Someone mentioning the sexual orientation of one of the characters that wasn't part of the book is irrelevent. JKR may have invisioned her third nephew as the model for Harry. Her third nephew may have had a bout with the measles as an infant. So she could say Harry had a bout with the measles, but since it was not in the written the stories, which a lot of people give a rats ass about, it doesn't matter. Except maybe for those folks who can't separate themselves from the fiction they read.

traininvain

#6 Post by traininvain » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:14 pm

I find this all quite amusing.

I wonder if Cal will change his signature now. My guess is he will not, at least not because of this revelation.
Enjoy every sandwich

Sir_Galahad

#7 Post by Sir_Galahad » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 am

OK. Someone is going to have to explain to me what possible reason could she give to state this? Or, will this show up in Snopes as one of those Internet hoaxes? If not, what would be the benefit to anyone for knowing this? Is she getting bored now that the Potter book run is finished? Does she need another project? Are there not millions of kids around the world who would ask their parents to explain this? This just does not make any sense to me, if it's true.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#8 Post by minimetoo26 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:53 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:OK. Someone is going to have to explain to me what possible reason could she give to state this?
Because someone asked about his love life. I guess she had a backstory in her mind, and when someone asked, she let him know what had been in her head.

Totally not any impact on the stories. Big yawn from here....

earendel

Re: Dumbledore is gay

#9 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:10 am

Bob78164 wrote:J.K. Rowling outed Albus Dumbledore yesterday, explaining in response to a fan question that Dumbledore was gay. When I read Deathly Hallows with The Little Guy (we're up to Prisoner of Azkaban), I'll have to see whether that sheds a new light on the book. --Bob
I really hope this turns out to be an urban legend. Not because I care whether Dumbledore is gay or not but because it seems like an unnecessary thing to "reveal" at this stage of the game. Dumbledore's persona is not changed one whit by his sexual preference and there's already enough controversy among some parents as to the suitablity of the Harry Potter series as it is without adding more fuel to the fire.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarkBarrett

#10 Post by MarkBarrett » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:18 am

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#11 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:04 am

MarkBarrett wrote:Did the J! writers know something?

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... dumbledore
Now, if we'd only known that Dumbledore was humming show tunes....

Mark, I don't "know" you yet, unless it's under some other name, but I see that your bookshelf is virtually identical to a portion of mine (and other BBs.) You definitely fit in around here! Welcome.

TheCalvinator24

#12 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:51 am

Mark is a long-time regular on the J! Message Board.
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:45 am

minimetoo26 wrote:Because someone asked about his love life. I guess she had a backstory in her mind, and when someone asked, she let him know what had been in her head.

Totally not any impact on the stories. Big yawn from here....
It also will have an effect on at least one of the movies. Apparently, the Director of Half-Blood Prince had Dumbledore making a remark about a girl he had once known. She slipped him a note. --Bob
Last edited by Bob78164 on Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ritterskoop

#14 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:48 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Did the J! writers know something?

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... dumbledore
Now, if we'd only known that Dumbledore was humming show tunes....

Mark, I don't "know" you yet, unless it's under some other name, but I see that your bookshelf is virtually identical to a portion of mine (and other BBs.) You definitely fit in around here! Welcome.
Mark posted on the other bored as WhoIsMark, but has been far more chatty on the J board for a long time.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Sir_Galahad

#15 Post by Sir_Galahad » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:42 am

I was just thinking...

Will this change the way you look at the Dumbledore character the next time you watch a HP movie? I'm sure, though, this wouldn't be an issue if Ian McKellen were portraying Dumbledore...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#16 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:46 am

Sir_Galahad wrote:I was just thinking...

Will this change the way you look at the Dumbledore character the next time you watch a HP movie? I'm sure, though, this wouldn't be an issue if Ian McKellen were portraying Dumbledore...
Didn't he have a ribbon in his beard in one of the movies?

I suspected that he might be gay. As far as I am concerned, it didn't matter to the people at Hogworts and it shouldn't matter to the people who read the books or see the movie.

TheCalvinator24

#17 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:58 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I suspected that he might be gay.
Based on what?
It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. —Albus Dumbledore

tlynn78

#18 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:59 am

I suspected that he might be gay. As far as I am concerned, it didn't matter to the people at Hogworts and it shouldn't matter to the people who read the books or see the movie
It never even occurred to me, but I'm pretty oblivious unless a point is made of a character's sexual preferences. I will add to PSM's comment that not only did it not matter to the peeps at Hogwart's, but Dumbledore was pretty universally respected in the whole 'Wizarding community."

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#19 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:20 am

TheCalvinator24 wrote:
PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:I suspected that he might be gay.
Based on what?

He really seemed fixated on Grindelwald in the last book.

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#20 Post by Odyssey » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:36 am

I still maintain my earlier theory that James is gay...well, bi I guess. He was a little too close to Sirius, in a Grindelwald kind of way.
Odyssey

TheCalvinator24

#21 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:46 am

I don't understand why some folks assume that any really close friendship betweens guys is an indication of some latent or not so latent homosexuality.

Even with the revelation about Dumbledore, there's nothing in the books that indicates that he was sexually attracted to Grindlewald. In fact, if that were the case, it could be seen as an excuse for his dabbling in the Dark Arts and seeking ultimate power. I doubt Dumbledore would have given himself that sort of an "out."

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#22 Post by Odyssey » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:19 am

Oh no, I totally agree. I never felt Dumbledore was gay and felt a close male friendship is flimsy justification for gayness. My Grindelwald remark was just jokey.

A close male friendship that seems to be more important than a female romantic relationship, now that is something else. That is how I read James in the book. I'm sure JK would flip at that interpretation.
Odyssey

TheCalvinator24

#23 Post by TheCalvinator24 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:40 am

My take on James is that he was really smitten with Lily, but he wanted to maintain his "cool" persona, so he feigned dis-interest as much and as long as possible. He was jealous of Lily's friendship with Snape, and Sirius joined him in his abuse of Severus.

Now, Sirius never showed any interest in girls as far as I remember. Maybe he was the gay one with an unrequited crush on James.

:wink:

Odyssey
Flower Girl

#24 Post by Odyssey » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:49 am

I can see your point. What tipped me over the edge was when they all came back in ghost form to help Harry during the final showdown and James hung with Sirius, not Lily. Didn't seem like love of your life material to me.

Agreed, Sirius is gay!
Odyssey

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#25 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:23 pm

SuitDude posted about this in a thread called something like "Avatars can change, tattoos not so much."

I'll repeat what I said in that thread, as closely as I remember it anyway. People have been naming children after Dumbledore for years because of his fine qualities. Those didn't vanish just because Rowling said he was gay.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller