Quickie Science Trivia, pt II

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
mrkelley23

Quickie Science Trivia, pt II

#1 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:49 am

Here's the second half of the quiz. This will probably go up on Sploofus sometime this weekend, BTW, if you want to look really smart.

Answers to Part 1 in about 5 minutes.

6. Which of these is a device specifically calibrated to measure electrical resistance?

A. Voltmeter
B. Ammeter
C. Ohmmeter
D. Inertimeter

7. Which of these types of earthquake-generated waves does not travel primarily along the surface of the Earth?

A. Rayleigh waves
B. Love waves
C. Surface waves
D. Shear waves

8. Who is given credit for “uniting” the forces of electricity and magnetism, by writing 4 equations that can describe all electromagnetic phenomena?

A. James Clerk Maxwell
B. Benjamin Franklin
C. Isaac Newton
D. Michael Faraday

9. The Balmer series (along with the Lyman, Brackett, Paschen, and Pfund series) are important achievements in spectrometry. Which element was being analyzed?

A. Carbon
B. Oxygen
C. Hydrogen
D. Gold

10. In medical imaging, what does the acronym PET (as in PET scan) stand for?

A. Positive Element Typography
B. Positron Emission Tomography
C. Proton Energy Transmission
D. Particle Elevation Telegraphy
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

earendel

Re: Quickie Science Trivia, pt II

#2 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:53 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Here's the second half of the quiz. This will probably go up on Sploofus sometime this weekend, BTW, if you want to look really smart.

6. Which of these is a device specifically calibrated to measure electrical resistance?

A. Voltmeter
B. Ammeter
C. Ohmmeter
D. Inertimeter
C - ohmmeter
mrkelley23 wrote:7. Which of these types of earthquake-generated waves does not travel primarily along the surface of the Earth?

A. Rayleigh waves
B. Love waves
C. Surface waves
D. Shear waves
Hmmm...I'll go with D.
mrkelley23 wrote:8. Who is given credit for “uniting” the forces of electricity and magnetism, by writing 4 equations that can describe all electromagnetic phenomena?

A. James Clerk Maxwell
B. Benjamin Franklin
C. Isaac Newton
D. Michael Faraday
Maxwell - A.
mrkelley23 wrote:9. The Balmer series (along with the Lyman, Brackett, Paschen, and Pfund series) are important achievements in spectrometry. Which element was being analyzed?

A. Carbon
B. Oxygen
C. Hydrogen
D. Gold
Hydrogen, I think - so C.
mrkelley23 wrote:10. In medical imaging, what does the acronym PET (as in PET scan) stand for?

This one I'm sure of - B.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Shade

#3 Post by Shade » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:54 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Here's the second half of the quiz. This will probably go up on Sploofus sometime this weekend, BTW, if you want to look really smart.

A. Voltmeter
B. Ammeter
C. Ohmmeter
D. Inertimeter

7. Which of these types of earthquake-generated waves does not travel primarily along the surface of the Earth?

A. Rayleigh waves
B. Love waves
C. Surface waves
D. Shear waves

8. Who is given credit for “uniting” the forces of electricity and magnetism, by writing 4 equations that can describe all electromagnetic phenomena?

A. James Clerk Maxwell
B. Benjamin Franklin
C. Isaac Newton
D. Michael Faraday

9. The Balmer series (along with the Lyman, Brackett, Paschen, and Pfund series) are important achievements in spectrometry. Which element was being analyzed?

A. Carbon
B. Oxygen
C. Hydrogen
D. Gold

The only one I think I know is 10
Spoiler
Positron Emission Tomography

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:11 am

A few guesses among these answers...
Spoiler
C. Ohmmeter

A. Rayleigh waves

A. James Clerk Maxwell

C. Hydrogen

andrewjackson

#5 Post by andrewjackson » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:28 am

Spoiler
6. C
7. D
8. A
9. B?
10. B

I'm suspicious of D for #9 but Oxygen jumped out at me.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#6 Post by Rexer25 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:09 pm

I don't know all these:
Spoiler
6. C
7. D
8. D
9. A
10. B
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:12 pm

A. Voltmeter
B. Ammeter
C. Ohmmeter
D. Inertimeter

A. Rayleigh waves
B. Love waves
C. Surface waves
D. Shear waves

A. James Clerk Maxwell
B. Benjamin Franklin
C. Isaac Newton
D. Michael Faraday

A. Carbon
B. Oxygen
C. Hydrogen
D. Gold

Spoiler
C
D
A
C
B

mrkelley23

Re: Quickie Science Trivia, pt II Answers

#8 Post by mrkelley23 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:57 pm

A. Voltmeter
B. Ammeter
C. Ohmmeter
D. Inertimeter

A. Rayleigh waves
B. Love waves
C. Surface waves
D. Shear waves

A. James Clerk Maxwell
B. Benjamin Franklin
C. Isaac Newton
D. Michael Faraday

A. Carbon
B. Oxygen
C. Hydrogen
D. Gold

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:48 pm

A. Voltmeter
B. Ammeter
C. Ohmmeter
D. Inertimeter

A. Rayleigh waves
B. Love waves
C. Surface waves
D. Shear waves

A. James Clerk Maxwell
B. Benjamin Franklin
C. Isaac Newton
D. Michael Faraday

A. Carbon
B. Oxygen
C. Hydrogen
D. Gold

Spoiler
The first 5 were relatively simple (7 really, counting the first and last one here, for anyone with a modicum of science background with a dab of trivia knowledge/interest thrown in). The other 3, not so much...

C
D?
A?
A?
B
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:08 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:
Spoiler
The first 5 were relatively simple (7 really, counting the first and last one here, for anyone with a modicum of science background with a dab of trivia knowledge/interest thrown in). The other 3, not so much...
Spoiler
What? You don't remember your Maxwell's Equations? Once upon a time, I studied these in college. Don't ask me to explain them now. :P

And as for PET scans, it looks like I was the only one to talk myself out of the right answer. I recognized "tomography" from CAT scans, but I never heard of using positrons for medical applications. There are isotopes that produce those naturally, without nuclear accelerators? :?

tanstaafl2

#11 Post by tanstaafl2 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:57 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Spoiler
What? You don't remember your Maxwell's Equations? Once upon a time, I studied these in college. Don't ask me to explain them now. :P

And as for PET scans, it looks like I was the only one to talk myself out of the right answer. I recognized "tomography" from CAT scans, but I never heard of using positrons for medical applications. There are isotopes that produce those naturally, without nuclear accelerators? :?
Yes, I studied them as well, once upon a time. A long ago once upon a time I might add! My guess on this one was based on a vague recollection at best.

Positrons have been used for some time in medical applications (tumor evaluation and scans for brain activity/function are the two that come immediately to mind) but it has only been the improved technology to allow for smaller particle accelerators that are a wee bit more affordable that PET scans are becoming a little more available and accessible since a facility can have ready access to the needed isotopes.

Because my father just had a PET scan I know that the isotope used is typically flourine mixed with glucose that is then injected into the patient.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:26 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:Positrons have been used for some time in medical applications (tumor evaluation and scans for brain activity/function are the two that come immediately to mind) but it has only been the improved technology to allow for smaller particle accelerators that are a wee bit more affordable that PET scans are becoming a little more available and accessible since a facility can have ready access to the needed isotopes.

Because my father just had a PET scan I know that the isotope used is typically flourine mixed with glucose that is then injected into the patient.
My daughter is going to have a PET scan done on her brain soon, at my insistence. For that they need to have an cyclotron feeding directly into the exam room as they use oxygen-15 which has a half-life of just two minutes.