Game #114 (or Game #1) -- Ladies Night at the Bijou

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
megaaddict

#51 Post by megaaddict » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:37 am

smilergrogan wrote:A-37. “You let him drown. You never paid any attention. Look what you did to him. Look what you did to him.”

MARY TYLER MOORE - Ordinary People

I think this is probably a wrong answer. It was only a guess, based on the drowning reference. I checked the IMDB page for Ordinary People and it isn't listed as a quote there.
This was bugging me too. Correct answer is BETSY PALMER as Mrs. Voorhees in the original Friday the 13th.

peacock2121

#52 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:51 am

A-4. Two decades after making her American film debut in a salute to immigration, this onetime Miss Venezuela became a U.S. citizen..

MARIA CONCHITA ALONSO

mellytu74

MORNING CONSOLIDATION

#53 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:55 am

Thursday morning consdolidation through the replacement of MTM with Betsy Palmer.

My "thinking out lous" stuff is still here. Just in case it helps in finding the other wrong answer.

Game #114 -- Ladies Night at the Bijou

Identify the 50 actresses in List A and the 50 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, pair each actress with a movie according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Four of the actors and four of the movies will be used twice apiece.

LIST A: ACTRESSES

A-1. “This is 1852, dumplin'. 1852, not the Dark Ages. Girls don't have to simper around in white just because they're not married.”

BETTE DAVIS

A-2. This American actress received her only Oscar nomination for playing a character created by Henry James.

BARBARA HERSHEY?

A-3. “Breasts, Mama. They're called breasts, and every woman has them.”

SISSY SPACEK

A-4. Two decades after making her American film debut in a salute to immigration, this onetime Miss Venezuela became a U.S. citizen..

A-5. “Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.”

KIM BASINGER - says to Guy Pearce at end of LA Confidential

A-6. This Oscar winning actress was once a reporter on the Today show.

ELLEN BURSTYN?

A-7. “Mr. Allen, this may come as a surprise to you, but there are some men who don't end every sentence with a proposition.”

DORIS DAY

A-8. As far as I know, this distinguished British actress is the only person to have worked with both Charlie Chaplin and Woody Allen.

CLAIRE BLOOM?

A-9. “I'd say you don't like to be rated. You like to get out in front, open up a little lead, take a little breather in the backstretch, and then come home free.”

LAUREN BACALL

A-10. This actress has played daughter to two of the stars of the movie Taps.

DAKOTA FANNING

A-11. “Couldn't you like me, just me the way I am? When we first started out, it was so good; we had fun. And then you started in on the clothes. Well, I'll wear the darn clothes if you want me to, if you'll just, just like me.”

KIM NOVAK

A-12. She made her first big splash as the title character of a 1942 comedy, although the real star of the movie was the actress who played HER sister.

Whoever played the title role in "My Sister Eileen" with Rosalind Russell.
That would be JANET BLAIR

A-13. “You shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas ain't the place you want to get caught.”

SUSAN SARANDON

A-14. Her most notable leading man in the movies was a big ape; her most notable leading man in real life was a lot weirder.

TERRY MOORE? FAY WRAY?

A-15. “Keep drinking. Between the 101-proof breath and the occasional bits of drool, some interesting words come out.”

ELIZABETH SHUE ("Leaving Las Vegas")

A-16. This Swiss actress seemed on the brink of American stardom – until she clashed with director Billy Wilder during the filming of one of his last movies.

MARTHE KELLER (It was driving me nuts so I looked it up)

A-17. “I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green.”

MYRNA LOY

A-18. Her first film appearance with her famous father was also his last film appearance with his equally famous partner.

JANE FONDA?

I don't think this is right because his last with HIS equally famous partner.

A-19. “Oh, he gave me special instructions back of the pulpit Christmas Eve. He got to howlin' ’Repent! Repent!’ and I got to moanin' ‘Save me! Save me!’ and the first thing I know he rammed the fear of God into me so fast I never heard my old man's footsteps!”

SHIRLEY JONES - Elmer Gantry

A-20. She shared her nickname with the character she played in a series of seven film comedies she made before her notorious suicide.

LUPE VELEZ - the nickname is The Mexican Spitfire, the name of the series.

A-21. “I hit him in the head with a frying pan and put him in the trunk ... so he wouldn't get hurt.”

KATHLEEN TURNER - Roger Rabbit

A-22. This reliable actress, who died last month at the age of 80, starred in a particularly steamy episodes of my favorite television series.

LOIS NETTLETON

A-23. “Have you thought how little happiness there can be for the old wife of a young husband?”

MARIA OUSPENSKYA in Dodsworth.

A-24. This beautiful actress had only two films under her belt when she was discovered by Charles Laughton, who changed her name and cast her in starring roles in his next two films.

MAUREEN O’HARA - Jamaica Inn & Hunchback of Notre Dame

A-25. “Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young.”

EVE ARDEN - Mildred Pierce

A-26. In a tv movie about an English actor, this Swedish actress was played by a South African actress.

BRITT EKLAND - Charlize Theron played her in that movie

A-27. “Resolution Number One: will obviously lose 20 lbs. Number Two: always put last night's panties in the laundry basket. Equally important: will find nice sensible boyfriend and stop forming romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, sexaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional f**kwits, or perverts. Will especially stop fantasizing about a particular person who embodies all these things.”

RENEE ZELLWEGER - Bridget Jones

A-28. Possessor of one of the most memorable voices in the movies, she is probably best remembered for her roles in three classic Ealing comedies.

A-29. “There's more to life than a little money, ya know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are. And it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.”

FRANCES MCDORMAND - Fargo

A-30. Older sister of one of the iconic actresses of world cinema, she died tragically in a car accident at the age of 25.

A-31. “Bitchin! I just love the feel of tuck and roll upholstery!”

CANDY CLARK

A-32. This actress received her only Oscar nomination in 1936 for a comic role opposite her own ex-husband.

CAROLE LOMBARD - My Man Godfrey with William Powell

A-33. “After awhile, it got to be all normal. None of it seemed like crime. It was more like Henry was enterprising, and that he and the guys were making a few bucks hustling, while all the other guys were sitting on their asses, waiting for handouts. Our husbands weren't brain surgeons, they were blue-collar guys. The only way they could make extra money, real extra money, was to go out and cut a few corners.”

LORRAINE BRACCO - Goodfellas

A-34. Though usually associated with light comedies and musicals, she also had roles in two classic dramas, as the less-than-loyal wives of a gangster and a pilot.

VIRGINIA MAYO - the movies are White Heat & Best Years of Our Lives

A-35. “Where I come from nobody knows and where I am going everything goes. The wind blows, the sea flows, nobody knows. And where I am going, nobody knows.”

JENNIFER JONES - Portrait of Jenny

A-36. Selznick tried to sell this aloof Italian actress as ‘the next Garbo,’ but her run at American stardom lasted only four years.

A-37. “You let him drown. You never paid any attention. Look what you did to him. Look what you did to him.”

BETSY PALMER

A-38. Unless there is an upset, she and Johnny Depp will emerge from this year’s Oscars with the same lifetime W-L record.

LAURA LINNEY?

A-39. “I can handle a sick old woman!”

VERA MILES

A-40. At age 18, she made one of the most highly anticipated film debuts of all time, playing a character who was substantially younger than herself.

JUDY GARLAND?

Not sure about this. I think Garland was 16 in Wizard of Oz & she'd made a few movies and she made a couple of Andy Hardy movies & the like. And the Dear Mr. Gable movie.

A-41. “Close your mouth please, Michael, we are not a codfish.”

JULIE ANDREWS

A-42. This actress is probably best known, not for winning her own Oscar, but for recreating a role that snagged an Oscar nomination for Lana Turner.

DOROTHY MALONE - won for Written on the Wind, Lana's role was Peyton Place.

A-43. “The others were gracious and curious about the man who had saved my life. But my mother looked at him like an insect. A dangerous insect, which must be squashed quickly.”

KATE WINSLET - Titanic

A-44. She was one of the biggest Hollywood stars of her generation – a situation that began to change after she portrayed one of the biggest Hollywood stars of an earlier generation.

FAYE DUNAWAY - gotta be

A-45. “Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?”

CARRIE FISHER

A-46. She shot to stage stardom with her performance in “Love on the Dole” – especially when the greatest British playwright of the day saw a performance and took her under his wing.

A-47. “Oh, Stanley. I don't know how to explain. A wedding. A church wedding. Well it's, it's what every girl dreams of. A bridal dress, the orange blossoms, the music. It's something lovely to remember all the rest of her life. And something for us to remember too.”

JOAN BENNETT - Father of the Bride, talkin to Spencer Tracy

A-48. Nearly 20 years after their divorce, this sultry singer’s ex-husband cast her in a new television series he was producing; it proved to be her most popular role. (The ex-husband also cast her then-husband in the same series. Very cozy.)

JULIE LONDON - Gotta be with Troup & Webb

A-49. “I came here and I realized that these women are smart, terrific people who are trying to make a difference in the world. And we've become really good friends. I mean, I know we all secretly hope the other one will trip and fall flat on her face... but oh wait a minute, I've already done that! And for me this experience has been one of the most rewarding and liberating experiences of my life…. And if anyone, anyone tries to hurt one of my new friends, I would take them out. I would make them suffer so much that they'd wish they were never born. And if they ran, I would hunt them down. Thank you, Kathy.”

SANDRA BULLOCK - Miss Congeniality

A-50. This glamorous star was married to her only husband for nearly 50 years – or for just over 40 years – or for a total of 46 years – depending on whether or not you count the annulment.

LIST A: MOVIES
B-1. “A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl”

CITIZEN KANE - Everett Sloan says it

B-2. Arguably the best film adaptation of a Victorian novel, its director followed it up two years later with an adaptation of another novel by the same author.

B-3. “You don't know what is like when you try, and you try, and you try, and you try, and you don't ever get there! Because you were born perfect and I was born like this, and you're perfect!”

I AM SAM

B-4. Okay, I checked and my instinct was right: this WAS the only feature film in which one of the leading characters was named Mr. Tinkles.

CATS & DOGS

B-5. “Why do you wanna fight?”
”Because I can't sing or dance.

ROCKY

B-6. When Walt Disney refused to loan out Mickey Mouse for a guest appearance in this musical, the studio turned to some homegrown talent instead.

ANCHORS AWEIGH

B-7. “Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.”

LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

B-8. This noir classic represents the shortest distance from The Power and the Glory to Shane. (You can also take a side road to Bruce Springsteen from here.)

THIS GUN FOR HIRE? THUNDER ROAD?

B-9. “And what are you? So full of hate you want to go out and fight everybody! Because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now! Dying by the thousands! Dying for you, fool! I know, 'cause I dug the graves.”

GLORY

B-10. It was the first biopic to net its star an Oscar.

DISRAELI

B-11. “Guess what I'm going to do?”
”What?”
”I'm going to come back from the dead.”
” Aaahhhh. And what makes you think you can do that?”
”Because I'm rich.”

ALL OF ME

B-12. The director of this film followed a path already trod by Cecil B. DeMille, Nicholas Ray, George Stevens, and Pier Paolo Pasolin – but he was the only one who got an Oscar nomination for it.

THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST

B-13. “Consider that a divorce.”

TOTAL RECALL

B-14. This Oscar-winning film was inspired by a series of Pulitzer-winning newspaper articles.

THE KILLING FIELDS?

B-15. “I like them French fried potaters.”

SLING BLADE

B-16. This musical was the penultimate film of the leading female director in Hollywood at that time.

DANCE GIRL, DANCE? - It's the end of Dorothy Arzner's career. And I can't remember an Ida Lupino-directed musical.

B-17. “Gentlemen, I did not seek this command, but since it's been assigned me, I intend to make this regiment the finest on the frontier. I fully realize that prolonged duty in a small outpost can lead to carelessness... and inefficiency and laxity in dress and deportment. I call it to your attention that only one of you has reported here this morning properly dressed. The uniform, gentlemen, is not a subject for individual, whimsical expression. We're not cowboys at this post... or freighters with a load of alfalfa.”

FORT APACHE - Definitely Henry Fonda addressing the officers.

B-18. This adaptation of an American verse play marked the film debut of a prolific character actor, who had also starred in the original stage version.

WINTERSET? The actor being the prolifici Burgess Meredith?

B-19. “He couldn't have walked very far.”
”Why's that?”
”Because I cut off his legs ... and his arms ... and his head. And I'm going to do the same to you.”

B-20. This movie was not set in a place called Stepford High – but it might as well have been.

THE FACULTY? THE CLASS OF 1999?

B-21. “He's a common ignorant slob. He don't even speak good English.”

12 ANGRY MEN

B-22. This harrowing movie – which actually managed to make the young protagonist’s experiences even more brutal than they were in real life – inspired a formal protest from the country in which it was set.

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS?

B-23. “My corn I take seriously, because it's mine. And my potatoes and tomatoes and my fence I take note of because they're mine. But this war is not mine and I don't take note of it.”

FRIENDLY PERSUASION?

B-24. Thirty-seven years after this movie received Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, and Best Screenplay, a remake of this picture received Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, and Best Screenplay.

This HAS to be HERE COMES MR. JORDAN and the remake, Heaven Can Wait

B-25. “Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed, but I do say no more then ten to twenty million killed, tops. Depending on the breaks.”

DR. STRANGELOVE

B-26. This classic was the favorite film of a certain President, but a certain Duke despised it.

HIGH NOON?

B-27. “Now go out there and be so swell that you'll make me hate you!”

42ND STREET - Bebe Daniels to Ruby Keeler

B-28. This cop flick was the first of only five movies directed by an iconic American actor whose wife received her first Oscar nomination this year.

COTTON COMES TO HARLEM - definitely

B-29. “I think she did too much coke.”
”Oh, you think so, doctor?”
“This is twice in two days that a girl's OD'd on me!”
”Well, did you ever think about maybe getting some better shit?”

BOOGIE NIGHTS - Just saw this.

B-30. This 1984 fantasy is directly responsible for the introduction of what is currently one of the most popular names for baby girls.

SPLASH - Madison is the name

B-31. “She borrows the will of the ball.”

B-32. This classic film was co-written by the two leading directors of the French New Wave and directed by one of them.

BREATHLESS

B-33.” The Duchess dove at the Duke just when the Duke dove at the Doge. Now the Duke ducked, the Doge dodged, and the Duchess didn't. So the Duke got the Duchess, the Duchess got the Doge, and the Doge got the Duke!”

THE COURT JESTER

B-34. The cast of this wartime drama featured two previous winners of the Best Actress Oscar, one previous winner of the Best Actor Oscar, one previous winner of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar, and one previous winner of the special Oscar for Best Juvenile Performance.

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY - Colbert, Jones, L Barrymore, Hattie McDaniel & Shirley Temple

B-35. “We all know most marriages depend on a firm grasp of football trivia.”

DINER - Paul Reiser's toast at the wedding

B-36. The most famous scene in this film was not in the script, but improvised by the two actors with the aid of a handy piece of citrus fruit.

THE PUBLIC ENEMY - From IMDB:
Several versions exist of the origin of the notorious grapefruit scene, but the most plausible is the one on which James Cagney and Mae Clarke agree: The scene, they explained, was actually staged as a practical joke at the expense of the film crew, just to see their stunned reactions. There was never any intention of ever using the shot in the completed film. Director Wellman, however, eventually decided to keep the shot, and use it in the film's final release print.

B-37. “It's not like we're hardened criminals here. We're in show business.”

QUIZ SHOW - Hank Azzaria says it

B-38. The year before the release of this courtroom drama based on a real-life twentieth century trial, its director and star had teamed up for another courtroom drama based on a real-life twentieth century trial. (Their next collaboration could not have been more different….)

JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBURG (Kramer & Spencer Tracy & Inherit the Wind)

Unless this is INHERIT THE WIND and I have the years mixed up BECAUSE the "next collaboration" of Kramer & Tracy is the search for Smiler Grogan's treasure. A little different :D

B-39. “I was prepared to sue you. I don't know who I am, but I'm sure I have a lawyer.”

OVERBOARD

B-40. The comical seduction duet from this movie won an Oscar.

B-41. “If we all go for the blonde and block each other, not a single one of us is going to get her. So then we go for her friends, but they will all give us the cold shoulder because no on likes to be second choice. But what if none of us goes for the blonde? We won't get in each other's way and we won't insult the other girls. It's the only way to win. It's the only way we all get laid”

A BEAUTIFUL MIND

B-42. This biopic would have been the first Oscar-winning movie to deal with anti-Semitism – if the filmmakers had bothered to acknowledge that one of the central characters was Jewish.

LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA?

B-43. “You were gonna ask me for money? Who the hell do you think you're dealing with, some old slut on 42nd Street? In case you didn't happen to notice it, ya big Texas longhorn bull, I'm one helluva gorgeous chick!”

MIDNIGHT COWBOY

B-44. The Canadian actor who played the title villain in this Bond film will celebrate his 90th birthday in May.

DR. NO?

B-45. “This is when I know I'm helpless. My hands are down there on the bed. I can't put them on again without calling to somebody for help. I can't smoke a cigarette or read a book. If that door should blow shut, I can't open it and get out of this room. I'm as dependent as a baby that doesn't know how to get anything except to cry for it.”

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Harold Russell to Cathy O'Donnell

B-46. The year after this hit comedy was released, it became the basis for a short-lived sitcom starring an Angel.

BABY BOOM

B-47. “Jean Louise. Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing.”

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

B-48. The title of this antiwar classic was taken from a popular 18th century English poem.

PATHS OF GLORY

B-49. “Hello, Flo... Yes. Here's Anna... I'm so happy for you today, I could not help calling you and congratulate you... Wonderful, Flo! Never better in my whole life!... I'm so excited about my new plans! I'm going to Paris... Yes, for a few weeks, and then I can get back, and then I'm doing a new show, and... Oh, it's all so wonderful! I'm so happy!... Yes... And I hope you are happy, too... Yes?... Oh, I'm so glad for you, Flo... Sounds funny for ex-husband and ex-wife to tell how happy they are, oui?... Yes, Flo... Goodbye, Flo... Goodbye...”

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD - Luise Rainier on the phone.

B-50. This movie won nine Oscars without a single nomination for acting, although one member of its cast had been nominated seven times previously.

THE LAST EMPEROR

plasticene

#54 Post by plasticene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:13 am

AWAKENINGS

franktangredi

Re: MORNING CONSOLIDATION

#55 Post by franktangredi » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:28 am

The other wrong answer is the right movie, and even the right character, but the wrong actress.

mellytu74 wrote:Thursday morning consdolidation through the replacement of MTM with Betsy Palmer.

My "thinking out lous" stuff is still here. Just in case it helps in finding the other wrong answer.

Identify the 50 actresses in List A and the 50 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, pair each actress with a movie according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Four of the actors and four of the movies will be used twice apiece.

A-1. “This is 1852, dumplin'. 1852, not the Dark Ages. Girls don't have to simper around in white just because they're not married.”

BETTE DAVIS

A-2. This American actress received her only Oscar nomination for playing a character created by Henry James.

BARBARA HERSHEY?

SISSY SPACEK

ELLEN BURSTYN?

A-7. “Mr. Allen, this may come as a surprise to you, but there are some men who don't end every sentence with a proposition.”

DORIS DAY

A-8. As far as I know, this distinguished British actress is the only person to have worked with both Charlie Chaplin and Woody Allen.

CLAIRE BLOOM?

A-9. “I'd say you don't like to be rated. You like to get out in front, open up a little lead, take a little breather in the backstretch, and then come home free.”

LAUREN BACALL

DAKOTA FANNING

A-11. “Couldn't you like me, just me the way I am? When we first started out, it was so good; we had fun. And then you started in on the clothes. Well, I'll wear the darn clothes if you want me to, if you'll just, just like me.”

KIM NOVAK

A-12. She made her first big splash as the title character of a 1942 comedy, although the real star of the movie was the actress who played HER sister.

A-13. “You shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas ain't the place you want to get caught.”

SUSAN SARANDON

A-14. Her most notable leading man in the movies was a big ape; her most notable leading man in real life was a lot weirder.

TERRY MOORE? FAY WRAY?

A-15. “Keep drinking. Between the 101-proof breath and the occasional bits of drool, some interesting words come out.”

ELIZABETH SHUE ("Leaving Las Vegas")

A-16. This Swiss actress seemed on the brink of American stardom – until she clashed with director Billy Wilder during the filming of one of his last movies.

MARTHE KELLER (It was driving me nuts so I looked it up)

A-17. “I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green.”

MYRNA LOY

A-18. Her first film appearance with her famous father was also his last film appearance with his equally famous partner.

JANE FONDA?

I don't think this is right because his last with HIS equally famous partner.

A-19. “Oh, he gave me special instructions back of the pulpit Christmas Eve. He got to howlin' ’Repent! Repent!’ and I got to moanin' ‘Save me! Save me!’ and the first thing I know he rammed the fear of God into me so fast I never heard my old man's footsteps!”

A-20. She shared her nickname with the character she played in a series of seven film comedies she made before her notorious suicide.

LUPE VELEZ - the nickname is The Mexican Spitfire, the name of the series.

A-21. “I hit him in the head with a frying pan and put him in the trunk ... so he wouldn't get hurt.”

A-22. This reliable actress, who died last month at the age of 80, starred in a particularly steamy episodes of my favorite television series.

LOIS NETTLETON

A-23. “Have you thought how little happiness there can be for the old wife of a young husband?”

A-24. This beautiful actress had only two films under her belt when she was discovered by Charles Laughton, who changed her name and cast her in starring roles in his next two films.

MAUREEN O’HARA - Jamaica Inn & Hunchback of Notre Dame

A-25. “Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young.”

A-26. In a tv movie about an English actor, this Swedish actress was played by a South African actress.

BRITT EKLAND - Charlize Theron played her in that movie

A-27. “Resolution Number One: will obviously lose 20 lbs. Number Two: always put last night's panties in the laundry basket. Equally important: will find nice sensible boyfriend and stop forming romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, sexaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional f**kwits, or perverts. Will especially stop fantasizing about a particular person who embodies all these things.”

A-28. Possessor of one of the most memorable voices in the movies, she is probably best remembered for her roles in three classic Ealing comedies.

A-29. “There's more to life than a little money, ya know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are. And it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.”

A-30. Older sister of one of the iconic actresses of world cinema, she died tragically in a car accident at the age of 25.

CANDY CLARK

A-32. This actress received her only Oscar nomination in 1936 for a comic role opposite her own ex-husband.

CAROLE LOMBARD - My Man Godfrey with William Powell

A-33. “After awhile, it got to be all normal. None of it seemed like crime. It was more like Henry was enterprising, and that he and the guys were making a few bucks hustling, while all the other guys were sitting on their asses, waiting for handouts. Our husbands weren't brain surgeons, they were blue-collar guys. The only way they could make extra money, real extra money, was to go out and cut a few corners.”

A-34. Though usually associated with light comedies and musicals, she also had roles in two classic dramas, as the less-than-loyal wives of a gangster and a pilot.

VIRGINIA MAYO - the movies are White Heat & Best Years of Our Lives

A-35. “Where I come from nobody knows and where I am going everything goes. The wind blows, the sea flows, nobody knows. And where I am going, nobody knows.”

A-36. Selznick tried to sell this aloof Italian actress as ‘the next Garbo,’ but her run at American stardom lasted only four years.

A-37. “You let him drown. You never paid any attention. Look what you did to him. Look what you did to him.”

BETSY PALMER

A-38. Unless there is an upset, she and Johnny Depp will emerge from this year’s Oscars with the same lifetime W-L record.

LAURA LINNEY?

VERA MILES

A-40. At age 18, she made one of the most highly anticipated film debuts of all time, playing a character who was substantially younger than herself.

JUDY GARLAND?

Not sure about this. I think Garland was 16 in Wizard of Oz & she'd made a few movies and she made a couple of Andy Hardy movies & the like. And the Dear Mr. Gable movie.

JULIE ANDREWS

A-42. This actress is probably best known, not for winning her own Oscar, but for recreating a role that snagged an Oscar nomination for Lana Turner.

DOROTHY MALONE - won for Written on the Wind, Lana's role was Peyton Place.

A-43. “The others were gracious and curious about the man who had saved my life. But my mother looked at him like an insect. A dangerous insect, which must be squashed quickly.”

KATE WINSLET - Titanic

A-44. She was one of the biggest Hollywood stars of her generation – a situation that began to change after she portrayed one of the biggest Hollywood stars of an earlier generation.

FAYE DUNAWAY - gotta be

CARRIE FISHER

A-46. She shot to stage stardom with her performance in “Love on the Dole” – especially when the greatest British playwright of the day saw a performance and took her under his wing.

A-47. “Oh, Stanley. I don't know how to explain. A wedding. A church wedding. Well it's, it's what every girl dreams of. A bridal dress, the orange blossoms, the music. It's something lovely to remember all the rest of her life. And something for us to remember too.”

A-48. Nearly 20 years after their divorce, this sultry singer’s ex-husband cast her in a new television series he was producing; it proved to be her most popular role. (The ex-husband also cast her then-husband in the same series. Very cozy.)

A-49. “I came here and I realized that these women are smart, terrific people who are trying to make a difference in the world. And we've become really good friends. I mean, I know we all secretly hope the other one will trip and fall flat on her face... but oh wait a minute, I've already done that! And for me this experience has been one of the most rewarding and liberating experiences of my life…. And if anyone, anyone tries to hurt one of my new friends, I would take them out. I would make them suffer so much that they'd wish they were never born. And if they ran, I would hunt them down. Thank you, Kathy.”

A-50. This glamorous star was married to her only husband for nearly 50 years – or for just over 40 years – or for a total of 46 years – depending on whether or not you count the annulment.

B-1. “A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl”

CITIZEN KANE - Everett Sloan says it

B-2. Arguably the best film adaptation of a Victorian novel, its director followed it up two years later with an adaptation of another novel by the same author.

B-3. “You don't know what is like when you try, and you try, and you try, and you try, and you don't ever get there! Because you were born perfect and I was born like this, and you're perfect!”

I AM SAM

B-4. Okay, I checked and my instinct was right: this WAS the only feature film in which one of the leading characters was named Mr. Tinkles.

CATS & DOGS

ROCKY

B-6. When Walt Disney refused to loan out Mickey Mouse for a guest appearance in this musical, the studio turned to some homegrown talent instead.

ANCHORS AWEIGH

B-7. “Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.”

B-8. This noir classic represents the shortest distance from The Power and the Glory to Shane. (You can also take a side road to Bruce Springsteen from here.)

B-9. “And what are you? So full of hate you want to go out and fight everybody! Because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now! Dying by the thousands! Dying for you, fool! I know, 'cause I dug the graves.”

GLORY

DISRAELI

”What?”
”Because I'm rich.”

ALL OF ME

B-12. The director of this film followed a path already trod by Cecil B. DeMille, Nicholas Ray, George Stevens, and Pier Paolo Pasolin – but he was the only one who got an Oscar nomination for it.

TOTAL RECALL

B-14. This Oscar-winning film was inspired by a series of Pulitzer-winning newspaper articles.

THE KILLING FIELDS?

SLING BLADE

B-16. This musical was the penultimate film of the leading female director in Hollywood at that time.

DANCE GIRL, DANCE? - It's the end of Dorothy Arzner's career. And I can't remember an Ida Lupino-directed musical.

B-17. “Gentlemen, I did not seek this command, but since it's been assigned me, I intend to make this regiment the finest on the frontier. I fully realize that prolonged duty in a small outpost can lead to carelessness... and inefficiency and laxity in dress and deportment. I call it to your attention that only one of you has reported here this morning properly dressed. The uniform, gentlemen, is not a subject for individual, whimsical expression. We're not cowboys at this post... or freighters with a load of alfalfa.”

FORT APACHE - Definitely Henry Fonda addressing the officers.

B-18. This adaptation of an American verse play marked the film debut of a prolific character actor, who had also starred in the original stage version.

WINTERSET? The actor being the prolifici Burgess Meredith?

”Why's that?”
”Because I cut off his legs ... and his arms ... and his head. And I'm going to do the same to you.”

B-20. This movie was not set in a place called Stepford High – but it might as well have been.

12 ANGRY MEN

B-22. This harrowing movie – which actually managed to make the young protagonist’s experiences even more brutal than they were in real life – inspired a formal protest from the country in which it was set.

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS?

B-23. “My corn I take seriously, because it's mine. And my potatoes and tomatoes and my fence I take note of because they're mine. But this war is not mine and I don't take note of it.”

FRIENDLY PERSUASION?

B-24. Thirty-seven years after this movie received Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, and Best Screenplay, a remake of this picture received Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, and Best Screenplay.

This HAS to be HERE COMES MR. JORDAN and the remake, Heaven Can Wait

B-25. “Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed, but I do say no more then ten to twenty million killed, tops. Depending on the breaks.”

DR. STRANGELOVE

B-26. This classic was the favorite film of a certain President, but a certain Duke despised it.

HIGH NOON?

42ND STREET - Bebe Daniels to Ruby Keeler

B-28. This cop flick was the first of only five movies directed by an iconic American actor whose wife received her first Oscar nomination this year.

COTTON COMES TO HARLEM - definitely

BOOGIE NIGHTS - Just saw this.

B-30. This 1984 fantasy is directly responsible for the introduction of what is currently one of the most popular names for baby girls.

SPLASH - Madison is the name

B-32. This classic film was co-written by the two leading directors of the French New Wave and directed by one of them.

BREATHLESS

B-33.” The Duchess dove at the Duke just when the Duke dove at the Doge. Now the Duke ducked, the Doge dodged, and the Duchess didn't. So the Duke got the Duchess, the Duchess got the Doge, and the Doge got the Duke!”

THE COURT JESTER

B-34. The cast of this wartime drama featured two previous winners of the Best Actress Oscar, one previous winner of the Best Actor Oscar, one previous winner of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar, and one previous winner of the special Oscar for Best Juvenile Performance.

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY - Colbert, Jones, L Barrymore, Hattie McDaniel & Shirley Temple

DINER - Paul Reiser's toast at the wedding

B-36. The most famous scene in this film was not in the script, but improvised by the two actors with the aid of a handy piece of citrus fruit.

THE PUBLIC ENEMY - From IMDB:
Several versions exist of the origin of the notorious grapefruit scene, but the most plausible is the one on which James Cagney and Mae Clarke agree: The scene, they explained, was actually staged as a practical joke at the expense of the film crew, just to see their stunned reactions. There was never any intention of ever using the shot in the completed film. Director Wellman, however, eventually decided to keep the shot, and use it in the film's final release print.

QUIZ SHOW - Hank Azzaria says it

B-38. The year before the release of this courtroom drama based on a real-life twentieth century trial, its director and star had teamed up for another courtroom drama based on a real-life twentieth century trial. (Their next collaboration could not have been more different….)

JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBURG (Kramer & Spencer Tracy & Inherit the Wind)

Unless this is INHERIT THE WIND and I have the years mixed up BECAUSE the "next collaboration" of Kramer & Tracy is the search for Smiler Grogan's treasure. A little different :D

B-39. “I was prepared to sue you. I don't know who I am, but I'm sure I have a lawyer.”

OVERBOARD

B-41. “If we all go for the blonde and block each other, not a single one of us is going to get her. So then we go for her friends, but they will all give us the cold shoulder because no on likes to be second choice. But what if none of us goes for the blonde? We won't get in each other's way and we won't insult the other girls. It's the only way to win. It's the only way we all get laid”

A BEAUTIFUL MIND

B-42. This biopic would have been the first Oscar-winning movie to deal with anti-Semitism – if the filmmakers had bothered to acknowledge that one of the central characters was Jewish.

LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA?

B-43. “You were gonna ask me for money? Who the hell do you think you're dealing with, some old slut on 42nd Street? In case you didn't happen to notice it, ya big Texas longhorn bull, I'm one helluva gorgeous chick!”

MIDNIGHT COWBOY

B-44. The Canadian actor who played the title villain in this Bond film will celebrate his 90th birthday in May.

DR. NO?

B-45. “This is when I know I'm helpless. My hands are down there on the bed. I can't put them on again without calling to somebody for help. I can't smoke a cigarette or read a book. If that door should blow shut, I can't open it and get out of this room. I'm as dependent as a baby that doesn't know how to get anything except to cry for it.”

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES - Harold Russell to Cathy O'Donnell

B-46. The year after this hit comedy was released, it became the basis for a short-lived sitcom starring an Angel.

BABY BOOM

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

B-48. The title of this antiwar classic was taken from a popular 18th century English poem.

PATHS OF GLORY

B-49. “Hello, Flo... Yes. Here's Anna... I'm so happy for you today, I could not help calling you and congratulate you... Wonderful, Flo! Never better in my whole life!... I'm so excited about my new plans! I'm going to Paris... Yes, for a few weeks, and then I can get back, and then I'm doing a new show, and... Oh, it's all so wonderful! I'm so happy!... Yes... And I hope you are happy, too... Yes?... Oh, I'm so glad for you, Flo... Sounds funny for ex-husband and ex-wife to tell how happy they are, oui?... Yes, Flo... Goodbye, Flo... Goodbye...”

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD - Luise Rainier on the phone.

B-50. This movie won nine Oscars without a single nomination for acting, although one member of its cast had been nominated seven times previously.

THE LAST EMPEROR

megaaddict

#56 Post by megaaddict » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:00 am

JANE FONDA?

Maybe it's one of Dean Martin's daughters (DEANNA, CLAUDIA or GAIL) who all appeared (uncredited) in the last Martin and Lewis film. According to imdb, this film was their only film appearance will Dean. Only Deanna and Claudia appeared in any other films.

mellytu74

Re: MORNING CONSOLIDATION

#57 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:03 am

Frank said: The other wrong answer is the right movie, and even the right character, but the wrong actress.

Well, OK, then. An update.

BETTE DAVIS - IMDB confirmed

BARBARA HERSHEY?

SISSY SPACEK - IMDB confirmed

A-4. Two decades after making her American film debut in a salute to immigration, this onetime Miss Venezuela became a U.S. citizen.

MARIA CONCHITA ALONSO

ELLEN BURSTYN?

DORIS DAY - IMDB confirmed

CLAIRE BLOOM?

LAUREN BACALL - The Big Sleep, not talking horse racing with Bogie

DAKOTA FANNING

KIM NOVAK - exchange with Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo. IMDB confirmed

SUSAN SARANDON - Can this possibly be GEENA DAVIS?

TERRY MOORE? FAY WRAY?

ELIZABETH SHUE ("Leaving Las Vegas") - IMDB confirmed

MARTHE KELLER

MYRNA LOY - Definitely Mr. Blandings

JANE FONDA? I don't think this is right because his last with HIS equally famous partner.

CLAUDIA MARTIN? DEANNA MARTIN?

LUPE VELEZ

LOIS NETTLETON

MAUREEN O’HARA

BRITT EKLAND

CANDY CLARK

CAROLE LOMBARD

VIRGINIA MAYO

BETSY PALMER

LAURA LINNEY?

VERA MILES

JUDY GARLAND? Not sure about this. I think Garland was 16 in Wizard of Oz & she'd made a couple of Andy Hardy movies & the like. And the Dear Mr. Gable movie.

JULIE ANDREWS

DOROTHY MALONE

KATE WINSLET

FAYE DUNAWAY

CARRIE FISHER

CITIZEN KANE

I AM SAM

CATS & DOGS

ROCKY

ANCHORS AWEIGH

GLORY

DISRAELI

”What?”
”Because I'm rich.”

ALL OF ME

TOTAL RECALL

THE KILLING FIELDS?

SLING BLADE

DANCE GIRL, DANCE. This has to be right because Frank said the other wrong one was an actress

FORT APACHE

WINTERSET? The actor being the prolific Burgess Meredith?

”Why's that?”

12 ANGRY MEN

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

FRIENDLY PERSUASION?

HERE COMES MR. JORDAN

DR. STRANGELOVE

HIGH NOON?

42ND STREET

COTTON COMES TO HARLEM

BOOGIE NIGHTS

SPLASH

AWAKENINGS

BREATHLESS

THE COURT JESTER

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY

DINER

THE PUBLIC ENEMY

QUIZ SHOW

JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBURG

OVERBOARD

A BEAUTIFUL MIND

LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA?

MIDNIGHT COWBOY

DR. NO?

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES

BABY BOOM

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

PATHS OF GLORY

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD

THE LAST EMPEROR

megaaddict

#58 Post by megaaddict » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:05 am

I'm thinking this is David Lean's 1946 GREAT EXPECTATIONS. He did Oliver Twist in 1948.

plasticene

#59 Post by plasticene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:02 pm

megaaddict wrote:A-18. Her first film appearance with her famous father was also his last film appearance with his equally famous partner.

JANE FONDA?

Maybe it's one of Dean Martin's daughters (DEANNA, CLAUDIA or GAIL) who all appeared (uncredited) in the last Martin and Lewis film. According to imdb, this film was their only film appearance will Dean. Only Deanna and Claudia appeared in any other films.
You're right, it can't be Jane Fonda. I was turning a blind eye to all the parts of the clue that didn't fit.

Dean Martin's daughters are on the obscure side. Now I want the answer to be MARY CROSBY. Do you suppose she was an extra in The Road to Hong Kong? :wink:

christie1111
11:11

#60 Post by christie1111 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:19 pm

I know this is the actress part and it is Myrna Loy, but I LOVE Mr Blandings Builds his Dream House.

Such a funny movie!

If you haven't seen it, Tivo it or whatever you can to get to see it.

The original Money Pit!
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

winegreg

#61 Post by winegreg » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi:

Could A18 perhaps be Candace Bergen? WAG

and if Judy Garland isn't correct (probably is), could A40 be Patty Duke in Miracle Worker?

silverscreenselect

#62 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:39 pm

winegreg wrote:Hi:

Could A18 perhaps be Candace Bergen? WAG

and if Judy Garland isn't correct (probably is), could A40 be Patty Duke in Miracle Worker?
Candice Bergen's premiere was in The Group, which did not feature Edgar nor anything that might be considered his famous partner.

Patty Duke was 16 when she made The Miracle Worker and had already done other movies and TV shows.

ANd A18 isn't Mary Crosby either, but I think we're on the right track here as to the type of partner Frank is looking for.

mellytu74

#63 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:01 pm

How about ALIDA VALLI?

Unlike A-40, A-18. isn't necessarily asking for a film debut.

It's asking for "Her first film appearance with her famous father" (which was his last film appearance with his equally famous partner.)

Who made multiple pictures with her actor/father, who had a famous partner?

mellytu74

#64 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:08 pm

SUE LYON????

How old was Sue Lyon when she filmed Lolita? Certainly not as young as Lolita was supposed to be.

plasticene

#65 Post by plasticene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:24 pm

Great game! Sorry I missed the first 113.

This isn't Kate Winslet talking, it's GLORIA STUART, relating the story to Bill Paxton.

I had an inkling this could be SOPHIA LOREN, which turned out to be right. I hope it's not frowned on to look up such things.

I had a theory that each actress's last name might be found in the letters making up a film title (e.g., Myrna Loy=GLORY, Virginia Mayo=BABY BOOM, Carrie Fisher=THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST). I don't think first names would be involved, since we have two Kims and two Julies. But since I doubt we're going to come up with a Z-E-L-L-W-E-G-E-R movie or an actress whose name can be found in IAMSAM, this theory doesn't really hold water. I just thought I'd throw it out there.

mellytu74

#66 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:29 pm

plasticene wrote:Great game! Sorry I missed the first 113.

This isn't Kate Winslet talking, it's GLORIA STUART, relating the story to Bill Paxton.

I had an inkling this could be SOPHIA LOREN, which turned out to be right. I hope it's not frowned on to look up such things.

I had a theory that each actress's last name might be found in the letters making up a film title (e.g., Myrna Loy=GLORY, Virginia Mayo=BABY BOOM, Carrie Fisher=THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST). I don't think first names would be involved, since we have two Kims and two Julies. But since I doubt we're going to come up with a Z-E-L-L-W-E-G-E-R movie or an actress whose name can be found in IAMSAM, this theory doesn't really hold water. I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Plasticene --

Welcome aboard!!! Frank's games are always fun games!

As far as Gloria Stuart -- oh, of course it is. That's our second wrong answer.

I think we always thought it's not cheating if you are confirming a strong hunch. Especially if the puzzle's been out there a few days and you have REALLY thought about it.

Wholesale IMDBing in the first several rounds, however, is not only frowned upon but it is considered rude, if not downright cheating.

And Arlen Specter will come and investigate you to see if your unfair advantage is breaking any laws.

MarleysGh0st

#67 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:35 pm

mellytu74 wrote:
plasticene wrote:Great game! Sorry I missed the first 113.

Plasticene --

Welcome aboard!!! Frank's games are always fun games!

As far as Gloria Stuart -- oh, of course it is. That's our second wrong answer.
Dang. The only answer I contribute to this puzzle and I get it wrong. :(
mellytu74 wrote:I think we always thought it's not cheating if you are confirming a strong hunch. Especially if the puzzle's been out there a few days and you have REALLY thought about it.

Wholesale IMDBing in the first several rounds, however, is not only frowned upon but it is considered rude, if not downright cheating.

And Arlen Specter will come and investigate you to see if your unfair advantage is breaking any laws.
Those of us who are newbies to this game need veterans to explain these unwritten rules!

silverscreenselect

#68 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:41 pm

mellytu74 wrote:SUE LYON????

How old was Sue Lyon when she filmed Lolita? Certainly not as young as Lolita was supposed to be.
Sue Lyon was 16, and Candice and Edgar never made a movie together. You're right that the film was not necessarily the actress's debut and implies she made more than one movie with her father.

I don't think Sue Lyon is the type actress we're looking for anyway since no one was really anticipating her debut. It might be someone who was already well known as a singer or a model perhaps.

mellytu74

#69 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:42 pm

5 p.m. EST CONSOLIDATION. Sans clues

Plasticene has solved the other wrong actress. So, I believe we are good to go in removing clues.

I will wait for Frank's OK to remove the clues for answers that came in since the last consolidation.

A-1. BETTE DAVIS

BARBARA HERSHEY?

A-3. SISSY SPACEK

A-4. Two decades after making her American film debut in a salute to immigration, this onetime Miss Venezuela became a U.S. citizen.

MARIA CONCHITA ALONSO

A-5. KIM BASINGER

ELLEN BURSTYN?

A-7. DORIS DAY

CLAIRE BLOOM?

A-9. LAUREN BACALL
A-10. DAKOTA FANNING
A-11. KIM NOVAK

JANET BLAIR?

A-13. SUSAN SARANDON

TERRY MOORE? FAY WRAY?

A-15. ELIZABETH SHUE
A-16. MARTHE KELLER
A-17. MYRNA LOY

CLAUDIA MARTIN? DEANNA MARTIN? HAYLEY MILLS? MARY CROSBY?

A-19. SHIRLEY JONES
A-20. LUPE VELEZ
A-21. KATHLEEN TURNER
A-22. LOIS NETTLETON
A-23. MARIA OUSPENSKYA
A-24. MAUREEN O’HARA
A-25. EVE ARDEN
A-26. BRITT EKLAND
A-27. RENEE ZELLWEGER

A-29. FRANCES MCDORMAND

A-31. CANDY CLARK
A-32. CAROLE LOMBARD
A-33. LORRAINE BRACCO
A-34. VIRGINIA MAYO
A-35. JENNIFER JONES

ALIDA VALLI?

A-37. BETSY PALMER

LAURA LINNEY?

A-39. VERA MILES

SUE LYON? PATTY DUKE?

A-41. JULIE ANDREWS
A-42. DOROTHY MALONE
A-43. GLORIA STUART
A-44. FAYE DUNAWAY
A-45. CARRIE FISHER

A-47. JOAN BENNETT
A-48. JULIE LONDON
A-49. SANDRA BULLOCK

SOPHIA LOREN

B-1. CITIZEN KANE

GREAT EXPECTATIONS

B-3. I AM SAM
B-4. CATS & DOGS
B-5. ROCKY
B-6. ANCHORS AWEIGH
B-7. LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

B-9. GLORY
B-10. DISRAELI
B-11. ALL OF ME
B-12. THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST
B-13. TOTAL RECALL

THE KILLING FIELDS?

B-15. SLING BLADE
B-16. DANCE GIRL, DANCE
B-17. FORT APACHE

”Why's that?”

B-21. 12 ANGRY MEN
B-22. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

FRIENDLY PERSUASION?

B-24. HERE COMES MR. JORDAN
B-25. DR. STRANGELOVE

HIGH NOON?

B-27. 42ND STREET
B-28. COTTON COMES TO HARLEM
B-29. BOOGIE NIGHTS
B-30. SPLASH
B-31. AWAKENINGS
B-32. BREATHLESS
B-33. THE COURT JESTER
B-34. SINCE YOU WENT AWAY
B-35. DINER
B-36. THE PUBLIC ENEMY
B-37. QUIZ SHOW
B-38. JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBURG
B-39. OVERBOARD

B-41. A BEAUTIFUL MIND

LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA?

B-43. MIDNIGHT COWBOY

DR. NO?

B-45. THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
B-46. BABY BOOM
B-47. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
B-48. PATHS OF GLORY
B-49. THE GREAT ZIEGFELD
B-50. THE LAST EMPEROR

plasticene

#70 Post by plasticene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:40 pm

BARBARA HERSHEY?

Confirmed through Barbara Hershey's Wikipedia page

CLAIRE BLOOM?

I don't know why KT put a question mark on her name. If she was in both Limelight and Mighty Aphrodite, that would seem to clinch it.

JANET BLAIR?

The question mark should come off this one, too. There was no question mark on her name when Frank made his last post, so I think that constitutes an OK.

TERRY MOORE? FAY WRAY?

Terry Moore fits the clue perfectly, with Mighty Joe Young and Howard Hughes. I think we can throw out Fay Wray.

SUE LYON? PATTY DUKE?

Those aren't it. Could the answer possibly be a TV star, rather than a model or singer?

THE KILLING FIELDS?

From a quick Google, I confirmed that The Killing Fields was inspired by a Pulitzer-winning article. I don't know for sure that it's the only such film.

”Why's that?”

Hey, it just came to me! It's ZODIAC!

HIGH NOON?

Surely it was some John Wayne movie that lots of people love but he personally hated. Stagecoach? The Searchers? The Green Berets?

LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA?

I feel pretty confident about this one. It's a biopic, an early Oscar winner, about a man whose chief current claim to fame is the letter "J'accuse" concerning the Dreyfus Affair, which involved anti-Semitism against this Dreyfus fellow (Alfred?). I'm afraid I couldn't tell you a single other thing about Zola or Dreyfus, but the scraps I know fit the clue perfectly.

plasticene

#71 Post by plasticene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:47 pm

I think I expressed too much unwarranted certainty on ZODIAC. That quote doesn't show up on imdb for the movie, and it's way too good to have been omitted. What the heck is it?

KillerTomato

#72 Post by KillerTomato » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:16 pm

plasticene wrote:A-2. This American actress received her only Oscar nomination for playing a character created by Henry James.

BARBARA HERSHEY?

Confirmed through Barbara Hershey's Wikipedia page
Actually, I didn't put a question mark after this one (I was about 99% sure it was Hershey). But it got there.

CLAIRE BLOOM?

I don't know why KT put a question mark on her name. If she was in both Limelight and Mighty Aphrodite, that would seem to clinch it.
This one I DID semi-question, since Frank began the question with "As far as I know..." But I do think it's right.

”Why's that?”

Hey, it just came to me! It's ZODIAC!
No, it's not, it's Rutger Hauer in THE HITCHER.
There is something wrong in a government where they who do the most have the least. There is something wrong when honesty wears a rag, and rascality a robe; when the loving, the tender, eat a crust while the infamous sit at banquets.
-- Robert G. Ingersoll

plasticene

#73 Post by plasticene » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:27 pm

KillerTomato wrote:No, it's not, it's Rutger Hauer in THE HITCHER.
Thanks, that one was driving me nuts. I should have known it couldn't have been Zodiac, since they couldn't have kept the killer's identity ambiguous if they had given him dialog.

mrkelley23

#74 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:34 pm

Forgive me if I'm missing something, but wouldn't the 18 year old playing somebody substantially younger be Judy Garland, playing the supposedly 12 year old Dorothy Gale?
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

mrkelley23

#75 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:54 pm

mellytu74 wrote:5 p.m. EST CONSOLIDATION. Sans clues

Plasticene has solved the other wrong actress. So, I believe we are good to go in removing clues.

I will wait for Frank's OK to remove the clues for answers that came in since the last consolidation.

A-1. BETTE DAVIS

BARBARA HERSHEY?

A-3. SISSY SPACEK

MARIA CONCHITA ALONSO

A-5. KIM BASINGER

ELLEN BURSTYN?

A-7. DORIS DAY

CLAIRE BLOOM?

A-9. LAUREN BACALL
A-10. DAKOTA FANNING
A-11. KIM NOVAK

JANET BLAIR?

A-13. SUSAN SARANDON

TERRY MOORE? FAY WRAY?

A-15. ELIZABETH SHUE
A-16. MARTHE KELLER
A-17. MYRNA LOY

A-19. SHIRLEY JONES
A-20. LUPE VELEZ
A-21. KATHLEEN TURNER
A-22. LOIS NETTLETON
A-23. MARIA OUSPENSKYA
A-24. MAUREEN O’HARA
A-25. EVE ARDEN
A-26. BRITT EKLAND
A-27. RENEE ZELLWEGER

A-29. FRANCES MCDORMAND

A-31. CANDY CLARK
A-32. CAROLE LOMBARD
A-33. LORRAINE BRACCO
A-34. VIRGINIA MAYO
A-35. JENNIFER JONES

ALIDA VALLI?

A-37. BETSY PALMER

LAURA LINNEY?

A-39. VERA MILES

SUE LYON? PATTY DUKE? JUDY GARLAND?

A-41. JULIE ANDREWS
A-42. DOROTHY MALONE
A-43. GLORIA STUART
A-44. FAYE DUNAWAY
A-45. CARRIE FISHER

DAME WENDY HILLER

A-47. JOAN BENNETT
A-48. JULIE LONDON
A-49. SANDRA BULLOCK

SOPHIA LOREN

B-1. CITIZEN KANE

GREAT EXPECTATIONS

B-3. I AM SAM
B-4. CATS & DOGS
B-5. ROCKY
B-6. ANCHORS AWEIGH
B-7. LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS

I think this must be THIS GUN FOR HIRE. Thunder Road's not really Noir, and Graham Greene write both P&tG and TGFH. Alan Ladd starred in TGFH and Shane.

B-9. GLORY
B-10. DISRAELI
B-11. ALL OF ME
B-12. THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST
B-13. TOTAL RECALL

THE KILLING FIELDS? Only other possibility might be All the President's Men.

B-15. SLING BLADE
B-16. DANCE GIRL, DANCE
B-17. FORT APACHE

”Why's that?”

B-21. 12 ANGRY MEN
B-22. MIDNIGHT EXPRESS

FRIENDLY PERSUASION?

B-24. HERE COMES MR. JORDAN
B-25. DR. STRANGELOVE

HIGH NOON?

B-27. 42ND STREET
B-28. COTTON COMES TO HARLEM
B-29. BOOGIE NIGHTS
B-30. SPLASH
B-31. AWAKENINGS
B-32. BREATHLESS
B-33. THE COURT JESTER
B-34. SINCE YOU WENT AWAY
B-35. DINER
B-36. THE PUBLIC ENEMY
B-37. QUIZ SHOW
B-38. JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBURG
B-39. OVERBOARD

Could this be Buttons and Bows, from The Paleface? I know it's a duet, and I know it's comical. I don't know if it can be rightly called a seduction duet, however.

B-41. A BEAUTIFUL MIND

LIFE OF EMILE ZOLA?

B-43. MIDNIGHT COWBOY

DR. NO?

B-45. THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
B-46. BABY BOOM
B-47. TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
B-48. PATHS OF GLORY
B-49. THE GREAT ZIEGFELD
B-50. THE LAST EMPEROR
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman