Game #114 (or Game #1) -- Ladies Night at the Bijou

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

Game #114 (or Game #1) -- Ladies Night at the Bijou

#1 Post by franktangredi » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:53 pm

Game #114 -- Ladies Night at the Bijou

Identify the 50 actresses in List A and the 50 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, pair each actress with a movie according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Four of the actors and four of the movies will be used twice apiece.

LIST A: ACTRESSES

A-1. “This is 1852, dumplin'. 1852, not the Dark Ages. Girls don't have to simper around in white just because they're not married.”

A-2. This American actress received her only Oscar nomination for playing a character created by Henry James.

A-3. “Breasts, Mama. They're called breasts, and every woman has them.”

A-4. Two decades after making her American film debut in a salute to immigration, this onetime Miss Venezuela became a U.S. citizen..

A-5. “Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.”

A-6. This Oscar winning actress was once a reporter on the Today show.

A-7. “Mr. Allen, this may come as a surprise to you, but there are some men who don't end every sentence with a proposition.”

A-8. As far as I know, this distinguished British actress is the only person to have worked with both Charlie Chaplin and Woody Allen.

A-9. “I'd say you don't like to be rated. You like to get out in front, open up a little lead, take a little breather in the backstretch, and then come home free.”

A-10. This actress has played daughter to two of the stars of the movie Taps.

A-11. “Couldn't you like me, just me the way I am? When we first started out, it was so good; we had fun. And then you started in on the clothes. Well, I'll wear the darn clothes if you want me to, if you'll just, just like me.”

A-12. She made her first big splash as the title character of a 1942 comedy, although the real star of the movie was the actress who played HER sister.

A-13. “You shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas ain't the place you want to get caught.”

A-14. Her most notable leading man in the movies was a big ape; her most notable leading man in real life was a lot weirder.

A-15. “Keep drinking. Between the 101-proof breath and the occasional bits of drool, some interesting words come out.”

A-16. This Swiss actress seemed on the brink of American stardom – until she clashed with director Billy Wilder during the filming of one of his last movies.

A-17. “I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green.”

A-18. Her first film appearance with her famous father was also his last film appearance with his equally famous partner.

A-19. “Oh, he gave me special instructions back of the pulpit Christmas Eve. He got to howlin' ’Repent! Repent!’ and I got to moanin' ‘Save me! Save me!’ and the first thing I know he rammed the fear of God into me so fast I never heard my old man's footsteps!”

A-20. She shared her nickname with the character she played in a series of seven film comedies she made before her notorious suicide.

A-21. “I hit him in the head with a frying pan and put him in the trunk ... so he wouldn't get hurt.”

A-22. This reliable actress, who died last month at the age of 80, starred in a particularly steamy episodes of my favorite television series.

A-23. “Have you thought how little happiness there can be for the old wife of a young husband?”

A-24. This beautiful actress had only two films under her belt when she was discovered by Charles Laughton, who changed her name and cast her in starring roles in his next two films.

A-25. “Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young.”

A-26. In a tv movie about an English actor, this Swedish actress was played by a South African actress.

A-27. “Resolution Number One: will obviously lose 20 lbs. Number Two: always put last night's panties in the laundry basket. Equally important: will find nice sensible boyfriend and stop forming romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, sexaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional f**kwits, or perverts. Will especially stop fantasizing about a particular person who embodies all these things.”

A-28. Possessor of one of the most memorable voices in the movies, she is probably best remembered for her roles in three classic Ealing comedies.

A-29. “There's more to life than a little money, ya know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are. And it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.”

A-30. Older sister of one of the iconic actresses of world cinema, she died tragically in a car accident at the age of 25.

A-31. “Bitchin! I just love the feel of tuck and roll upholstery!”

A-32. This actress received her only Oscar nomination in 1936 for a comic role opposite her own ex-husband.

A-33. “After awhile, it got to be all normal. None of it seemed like crime. It was more like Henry was enterprising, and that he and the guys were making a few bucks hustling, while all the other guys were sitting on their asses, waiting for handouts. Our husbands weren't brain surgeons, they were blue-collar guys. The only way they could make extra money, real extra money, was to go out and cut a few corners.”

A-34. Though usually associated with light comedies and musicals, she also had roles in two classic dramas, as the less-than-loyal wives of a gangster and a pilot.

A-35. “Where I come from nobody knows and where I am going everything goes. The wind blows, the sea flows, nobody knows. And where I am going, nobody knows.”

A-36. Selznick tried to sell this aloof Italian actress as ‘the next Garbo,’ but her run at American stardom lasted only four years.

A-37. “You let him drown. You never paid any attention. Look what you did to him. Look what you did to him.”

A-38. Unless there is an upset, she and Johnny Depp will emerge from this year’s Oscars with the same lifetime W-L record.

A-39. “I can handle a sick old woman!”

A-40. At age 18, she made one of the most highly anticipated film debuts of all time, playing a character who was substantially younger than herself.

A-41. “Close your mouth please, Michael, we are not a codfish.”

A-42. This actress is probably best known, not for winning her own Oscar, but for recreating a role that snagged an Oscar nomination for Lana Turner.

A-43. “The others were gracious and curious about the man who had saved my life. But my mother looked at him like an insect. A dangerous insect, which must be squashed quickly.”

A-44. She was one of the biggest Hollywood stars of her generation – a situation that began to change after she portrayed one of the biggest Hollywood stars of an earlier generation.

A-45. “Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?”

A-46. She shot to stage stardom with her performance in “Love on the Dole” – especially when the greatest British playwright of the day saw a performance and took her under his wing.

A-47. “Oh, Stanley. I don't know how to explain. A wedding. A church wedding. Well it's, it's what every girl dreams of. A bridal dress, the orange blossoms, the music. It's something lovely to remember all the rest of her life. And something for us to remember too.”

A-48. Nearly 20 years after their divorce, this sultry singer’s ex-husband cast her in a new television series he was producing; it proved to be her most popular role. (The ex-husband also cast her then-husband in the same series. Very cozy.)

A-49. “I came here and I realized that these women are smart, terrific people who are trying to make a difference in the world. And we've become really good friends. I mean, I know we all secretly hope the other one will trip and fall flat on her face... but oh wait a minute, I've already done that! And for me this experience has been one of the most rewarding and liberating experiences of my life…. And if anyone, anyone tries to hurt one of my new friends, I would take them out. I would make them suffer so much that they'd wish they were never born. And if they ran, I would hunt them down. Thank you, Kathy.”

A-50. This glamorous star was married to her only husband for nearly 50 years – or for just over 40 years – or for a total of 46 years – depending on whether or not you count the annulment.

LIST A: MOVIES
B-1. “A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl”

B-2. Arguably the best film adaptation of a Victorian novel, its director followed it up two years later with an adaptation of another novel by the same author.

B-3. “You don't know what is like when you try, and you try, and you try, and you try, and you don't ever get there! Because you were born perfect and I was born like this, and you're perfect!”

B-4. Okay, I checked and my instinct was right: this WAS the only feature film in which one of the leading characters was named Mr. Tinkles.

B-5. “Why do you wanna fight?”
”Because I can't sing or dance.

B-6. When Walt Disney refused to loan out Mickey Mouse for a guest appearance in this musical, the studio turned to some homegrown talent instead.

B-7. “Keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I did not pass through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a witless worm.”

B-8. This noir classic represents the shortest distance from The Power and the Glory to Shane. (You can also take a side road to Bruce Sprinsteen from here.)

B-9. “And what are you? So full of hate you want to go out and fight everybody! Because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now! Dying by the thousands! Dying for you, fool! I know, 'cause I dug the graves.”

B-10. It was the first biopic to net its star an Oscar.

B-11. “Guess what I'm going to do?”
”What?”
”I'm going to come back from the dead.”
” Aaahhhh. And what makes you think you can do that?”
”Because I'm rich.”

B-12. The director of this film followed a path already trod by Cecil B. DeMille, Nicholas Ray, George Stevens, and Pier Paolo Pasolin – but he was the only one who got an Oscar nomination for it.

B-13. “Consider that a divorce.”

B-14. This Oscar-winning film was inspired by a series of Pulitzer-winning newspaper articles.

B-15. “I like them French fried potaters.”

B-16. This musical was the penultimate film of the leading female director in Hollywood at that time.

B-17. “Gentlemen, I did not seek this command, but since it's been assigned me, I intend to make this regiment the finest on the frontier. I fully realize that prolonged duty in a small outpost can lead to carelessness... and inefficiency and laxity in dress and deportment. I call it to your attention that only one of you has reported here this morning properly dressed. The uniform, gentlemen, is not a subject for individual, whimsical expression. We're not cowboys at this post... or freighters with a load of alfalfa.”

B-18. This adaptation of an American verse play marked the film debut of a prolific character actor, who had also starred in the original stage version.

B-19. “He couldn't have walked very far.”
”Why's that?”
”Because I cut off his legs ... and his arms ... and his head. And I'm going to do the same to you.”

B-20. This movie was not set in a place called Stepford High – but it might as well have been.

B-21. “He's a common ignorant slob. He don't even speak good English.”

B-22. This harrowing movie – which actually managed to make the young protagonist’s experiences even more brutal than they were in real life – inspired a formal protest from the country in which it was set.

B-23. “My corn I take seriously, because it's mine. And my potatoes and tomatoes and my fence I take note of because they're mine. But this war is not mine and I don't take note of it.”

B-24. Thirty-seven years after this movie received Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, and Best Screenplay, a remake of this picture received Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Director, and Best Screenplay.

B-25. “Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed, but I do say no more then ten to twenty million killed, tops. Depending on the breaks.”

B-26. This classic was the favorite film of a certain President, but a certain Duke despised it.

B-27. “Now go out there and be so swell that you'll make me hate you!”

B-28. This cop flick was the first of only five movies directed by an iconic American actor whose wife received her first Oscar nomination this year.

B-29. “I think she did too much coke.”
”Oh, you think so, doctor?”
“This is twice in two days that a girl's OD'd on me!”
”Well, did you ever think about maybe getting some better shit?”

B-30. This 1984 fantasy is directly responsible for the introduction of what is currently one of the most popular names for baby girls.

B-31. “She borrows the will of the ball.”

B-32. This classic film was co-written by the two leading directors of the French New Wave and directed by one of them.

B-33.” The Duchess dove at the Duke just when the Duke dove at the Doge. Now the Duke ducked, the Doge dodged, and the Duchess didn't. So the Duke got the Duchess, the Duchess got the Doge, and the Doge got the Duke!”

B-34. The cast of this wartime drama featured two previous winners of the Best Actress Oscar, one previous winner of the Best Actor Oscar, one previous winner of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar, and one previous winner of the special Oscar for Best Juvenile Performance.

B-35. “We all know most marriages depend on a firm grasp of football trivia.”

B-36. The most famous scene in this film was not in the script, but improvised by the two actors with the aid of a handy piece of citrus fruit.

B-37. “It's not like we're hardened criminals here. We're in show business.”

B-38. The year before the release of this courtroom drama based on a real-life twentieth century trial, its director and star had teamed up for another courtroom drama based on a real-life twentieth century trial. (Their next collaboration could not have been more different….)

B-39. “I was prepared to sue you. I don't know who I am, but I'm sure I have a lawyer.”

B-40. The comical seduction duet from this movie won an Oscar.

B-41. “If we all go for the blonde and block each other, not a single one of us is going to get her. So then we go for her friends, but they will all give us the cold shoulder because no on likes to be second choice. But what if none of us goes for the blonde? We won't get in each other's way and we won't insult the other girls. It's the only way to win. It's the only way we all get laid”

B-42. This biopic would have been the first Oscar-winning movie to deal with anti-Semitism – if the filmmakers had bothered to acknowledge that one of the central characters was Jewish.

B-43. “You were gonna ask me for money? Who the hell do you think you're dealing with, some old slut on 42nd Street? In case you didn't happen to notice it, ya big Texas longhorn bull, I'm one helluva gorgeous chick!”

B-44. The Canadian actor who played the title villain in this Bond film will celebrate his 90th birthday in May.

B-45. “This is when I know I'm helpless. My hands are down there on the bed. I can't put them on again without calling to somebody for help. I can't smoke a cigarette or read a book. If that door should blow shut, I can't open it and get out of this room. I'm as dependent as a baby that doesn't know how to get anything except to cry for it.”

B-46. The year after this hit comedy was released, it became the basis for a short-lived sitcom starring an Angel.

B-47. “Jean Louise. Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing.”

B-48. The title of this antiwar classic was taken from a popular 18th century English poem.

B-49. “Hello, Flo... Yes. Here's Anna... I'm so happy for you today, I could not help calling you and congratulate you... Wonderful, Flo! Never better in my whole life!... I'm so excited about my new plans! I'm going to Paris... Yes, for a few weeks, and then I can get back, and then I'm doing a new show, and... Oh, it's all so wonderful! I'm so happy!... Yes... And I hope you are happy, too... Yes?... Oh, I'm so glad for you, Flo... Sounds funny for ex-husband and ex-wife to tell how happy they are, oui?... Yes, Flo... Goodbye, Flo... Goodbye...”

B-50. This movie won nine Oscars without a single nomination for acting, although one member of its cast had been nominated seven times previously.

tanstaafl2

Re: Game #114 (or Game #1) -- Ladies Night at the Bijou

#2 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:07 pm

franktangredi wrote:Game #114 -- Ladies Night at the Bijou

Identify the 50 actresses in List A and the 50 movies in List B. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, pair each actress with a movie according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself. Four of the actors and four of the movies will be used twice apiece.

A-3. “Breasts, Mama. They're called breasts, and every woman has them.”
Trying to pick a little low hanging fruit (as it were...)

Sissy Spacek
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

tanstaafl2

#3 Post by tanstaafl2 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:11 pm

A-45. “Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?”
Another one I can't pass up.

Carrie Fisher.

Must be a "Carrie" thing.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Catfish

#4 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:13 pm

franktangredi wrote:
A-1. “This is 1852, dumplin'. 1852, not the Dark Ages. Girls don't have to simper around in white just because they're not married.”

Bette Davis
Catfish

Catfish

#5 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:17 pm

A-13. “You shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas ain't the place you want to get caught.”

SUSAN SARANDON
Catfish

Catfish

#6 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:20 pm

A-17. “I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin's egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don't let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green.”

MYRNA LOY
Catfish

Catfish

#7 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:22 pm

A-27. “Resolution Number One: will obviously lose 20 lbs. Number Two: always put last night's panties in the laundry basket. Equally important: will find nice sensible boyfriend and stop forming romantic attachments to any of the following: alcoholics, workaholics, sexaholics, commitment-phobics, peeping toms, megalomaniacs, emotional f**kwits, or perverts. Will especially stop fantasizing about a particular person who embodies all these things.”

RENEE ZELLWEGGER
Catfish

Catfish

#8 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:28 pm

A-38. Unless there is an upset, she and Johnny Depp will emerge from this year’s Oscars with the same lifetime W-L record.

JULIE CHRISTIE?
Catfish

Catfish

#9 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:32 pm

A-49. “I came here and I realized that these women are smart, terrific people who are trying to make a difference in the world. And we've become really good friends. I mean, I know we all secretly hope the other one will trip and fall flat on her face... but oh wait a minute, I've already done that! And for me this experience has been one of the most rewarding and liberating experiences of my life…. And if anyone, anyone tries to hurt one of my new friends, I would take them out. I would make them suffer so much that they'd wish they were never born. And if they ran, I would hunt them down. Thank you, Kathy.”

SANDRA BULLOCK
Catfish

Catfish

#10 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:38 pm

B-9. “And what are you? So full of hate you want to go out and fight everybody! Because you've been whipped and chased by hounds. Well that might not be living, but it sure as hell ain't dying. And dying's been what these white boys have been doing for going on three years now! Dying by the thousands! Dying for you, fool! I know, 'cause I dug the graves.”

GLORY
Catfish

Catfish

#11 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:44 pm

B-41. “If we all go for the blonde and block each other, not a single one of us is going to get her. So then we go for her friends, but they will all give us the cold shoulder because no on likes to be second choice. But what if none of us goes for the blonde? We won't get in each other's way and we won't insult the other girls. It's the only way to win. It's the only way we all get laid”

A BEAUTIFUL MIND
Catfish

Catfish

#12 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:47 pm

B-45. “This is when I know I'm helpless. My hands are down there on the bed. I can't put them on again without calling to somebody for help. I can't smoke a cigarette or read a book. If that door should blow shut, I can't open it and get out of this room. I'm as dependent as a baby that doesn't know how to get anything except to cry for it.”

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
Catfish

Catfish

#13 Post by Catfish » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:48 pm

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
Catfish

smilergrogan

#14 Post by smilergrogan » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:55 pm

Hmm, this looks like an interesting diversion. I believe I will give this Tangredi fellow's game a try.

A-10. This actress has played daughter to two of the stars of the movie Taps.

DAKOTA FANNING?

A-14. Her most notable leading man in the movies was a big ape; her most notable leading man in real life was a lot weirder.

FAYE WRAY? (going for the obvious)

A-33. “After awhile, it got to be all normal. None of it seemed like crime. It was more like Henry was enterprising, and that he and the guys were making a few bucks hustling, while all the other guys were sitting on their asses, waiting for handouts. Our husbands weren't brain surgeons, they were blue-collar guys. The only way they could make extra money, real extra money, was to go out and cut a few corners.”

LORRAINE BRACCO (Goodfellas - just rented this over the weekend!)

A-37. “You let him drown. You never paid any attention. Look what you did to him. Look what you did to him.”

MARY TYLER MOORE? (Ordinary People)

A-39. “I can handle a sick old woman!”

VERA MILES (Psycho)

B-15. “I like them French fried potaters.”

SLING BLADE

B-22. This harrowing movie – which actually managed to make the young protagonist’s experiences even more brutal than they were in real life – inspired a formal protest from the country in which it was set.

MIDNIGHT EXPRESS?

B-23. “My corn I take seriously, because it's mine. And my potatoes and tomatoes and my fence I take note of because they're mine. But this war is not mine and I don't take note of it.”

FRIENDLY PERSUASION?

B-25. “Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed, but I do say no more then ten to twenty million killed, tops. Depending on the breaks.”

DR. STRANGELOVE

DINER?

B-36. The most famous scene in this film was not in the script, but improvised by the two actors with the aid of a handy piece of citrus fruit.

MRS. DOUBTFIRE?

B-48. The title of this antiwar classic was taken from a popular 18th century English poem.

PATHS OF GLORY?

franktangredi

#15 Post by franktangredi » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:49 am

Smiler Grogan, eh? I wonder who this person might be.

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:50 am

B-6. When Walt Disney refused to loan out Mickey Mouse for a guest appearance in this musical, the studio turned to some homegrown talent instead.

ANCHORS AWEIGH - Jerry the mouse (of Tom and Jerry fame) dances with Gene Kelly.

Sounds like DR. STRANGELOVE.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

eyégor
???????

#17 Post by eyégor » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:05 am

franktangredi wrote:Smiler Grogan, eh? I wonder who this person might be.
Just don't argue global warming with him. We already have someone for that. :)

Al Gore
Merry Man

#18 Post by Al Gore » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:09 am

eyégor wrote:
franktangredi wrote:Smiler Grogan, eh? I wonder who this person might be.
Just don't argue global warming with him. We already have someone for that. :)

Yes we do!

mellytu74

My first pass

#19 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:08 am

My day is complete- a Tangredi puzzle! :D :D

This is a quick pass because I have a project and an 11 a.m. meeting but I will return. :D

Game #114 -- Ladies Night at the Bijou

BETTE DAVIS (Jezebel)

A-5. “Some men get the world. Others get ex-hookers and a trip to Arizona.”

KIM BASINGER (LA Confidential)

A-7. “Mr. Allen, this may come as a surprise to you, but there are some men who don't end every sentence with a proposition.”

DORIS DAY (Pillow Talk)

A-9. “I'd say you don't like to be rated. You like to get out in front, open up a little lead, take a little breather in the backstretch, and then come home free.”

LAUREN BACALL (The Big Sleep)

A-11. “Couldn't you like me, just me the way I am? When we first started out, it was so good; we had fun. And then you started in on the clothes. Well, I'll wear the darn clothes if you want me to, if you'll just, just like me.”

KIM NOVAK in Vertigo?????

How about TERRY MOORE of Mighty Joe Young & Howard Hughes fame?

A-16. This Swiss actress seemed on the brink of American stardom – until she clashed with director Billy Wilder during the filming of one of his last movies.

Ah, who was the lead in Fedora?

MYRNA LOY in Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House

A-19. “Oh, he gave me special instructions back of the pulpit Christmas Eve. He got to howlin' ’Repent! Repent!’ and I got to moanin' ‘Save me! Save me!’ and the first thing I know he rammed the fear of God into me so fast I never heard my old man's footsteps!”

SHIRLEY JONES - Elmer Gantry

A-20. She shared her nickname with the character she played in a series of seven film comedies she made before her notorious suicide.

LUPE VELEZ

A-21. “I hit him in the head with a frying pan and put him in the trunk ... so he wouldn't get hurt.”

KATHLEEN TURNER – in Roger Rabbit

A-22. This reliable actress, who died last month at the age of 80, starred in a particularly steamy episodes of my favorite television series.

Was LOIS NETTLETON 80?

A-23. “Have you thought how little happiness there can be for the old wife of a young husband?”

A-24. This beautiful actress had only two films under her belt when she was discovered by Charles Laughton, who changed her name and cast her in starring roles in his next two films.

How about Bronwyn Fitzsimmons? Known to us as MAUREEN O’HARA

A-25. “Personally, Veda's convinced me that alligators have the right idea. They eat their young.”

EVE ARDEN – Mildred Pierce

A-29. “There's more to life than a little money, ya know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are. And it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.”

FRANCES MCDORMAND - Fargo

A-32. This actress received her only Oscar nomination in 1936 for a comic role opposite her own ex-husband.

CAROLE LOMBARD – My Man Godfrey

mellytu74

#20 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:18 am

I am a goof! I knew I knew the name in connection with her but Bronwyn Fitzsimmons is Maureen O'Hara's daughter.

Maureen O'Hara was Maureen Fitzsimmons.

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:23 am

LOIS NETTLETON

A-26. In a tv movie about an English actor, this Swedish actress was played by a South African actress.

BRITT EKLAND

LAURA LINNEY ?

B-8. This noir classic represents the shortest distance from The Power and the Glory to Shane. (You can also take a side road to Bruce Sprinsteen from here.)

THIS GUN FOR HIRE ?

B-10. It was the first biopic to net its star an Oscar.

DISRAELI

B-12. The director of this film followed a path already trod by Cecil B. DeMille, Nicholas Ray, George Stevens, and Pier Paolo Pasolin – but he was the only one who got an Oscar nomination for it.

THE LAST TEMPTATION OF CHRIST

B-28. This cop flick was the first of only five movies directed by an iconic American actor whose wife received her first Oscar nomination this year.

COTTON COMES TO HARLEM

THE PUBLIC ENEMY

B-44. The Canadian actor who played the title villain in this Bond film will celebrate his 90th birthday in May.

DR. NO

mellytu74

Some more

#22 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:28 am

LIST A: MOVIES
B-1. “A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl”

CITIZEN KANE

ANCHORS AWEIGH

B-8. This noir classic represents the shortest distance from The Power and the Glory to Shane. (You can also take a side road to Bruce Springsteen from here.)

THUNDER ROAD?

B-21. “He's a common ignorant slob. He don't even speak good English.”

BORN YESTERDAY??

B-27. “Now go out there and be so swell that you'll make me hate you!”

42nd STREET

B-30. This 1984 fantasy is directly responsible for the introduction of what is currently one of the most popular names for baby girls.

SPLASH

B-34. The cast of this wartime drama featured two previous winners of the Best Actress Oscar, one previous winner of the Best Actor Oscar, one previous winner of the Best Supporting Actress Oscar, and one previous winner of the special Oscar for Best Juvenile Performance.

SINCE YOU WENT AWAY

DINER

PUBLIC ENEMY?

B-37. “It's not like we're hardened criminals here. We're in show business.”

QUIZ SHOW

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

B-49. “Hello, Flo... Yes. Here's Anna... I'm so happy for you today, I could not help calling you and congratulate you... Wonderful, Flo! Never better in my whole life!... I'm so excited about my new plans! I'm going to Paris... Yes, for a few weeks, and then I can get back, and then I'm doing a new show, and... Oh, it's all so wonderful! I'm so happy!... Yes... And I hope you are happy, too... Yes?... Oh, I'm so glad for you, Flo... Sounds funny for ex-husband and ex-wife to tell how happy they are, oui?... Yes, Flo... Goodbye, Flo... Goodbye...”

THE GREAT ZIEGFELD

megaaddict

#23 Post by megaaddict » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:21 am

A-31. “Bitchin! I just love the feel of tuck and roll upholstery!”

CANDY CLARK (as Debbie, Toad's date, in American Grafitti)

A-41. “Close your mouth please, Michael, we are not a codfish.”

JULIE ANDREWS (as Mary Poppins)

mellytu74

i WILL CONSOLIDATE

#24 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm

This will probably be my only chance to consoidation before Thursday morning.

SO, a consolidation will be coming in about a half-hour

earendel

Re: i WILL CONSOLIDATE

#25 Post by earendel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:24 pm

mellytu74 wrote:This will probably be my only chance to consoidation before Thursday morning.

SO, a consolidation will be coming in about a half-hour
I was just going to ask if you were going to do a consolidation.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."