Earendel

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jsuchard

Earendel

#1 Post by jsuchard » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:08 pm

Check your signature tag. I think you may have a typographical error.

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo
* Either Arglebargle IV or someone else.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#2 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:47 pm

nevermind

mrkelley23

#3 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:51 pm

eom
Last edited by mrkelley23 on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

peacock2121

#4 Post by peacock2121 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:55 pm

It's even worse.

Now we all know what she said when she didn;t want us all to know what she said.

Must be a very bad day in Placentia.

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#5 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:15 pm

peacock2121 wrote:It's even worse.

Now we all know what she said when she didn't want us all to know what she said.

Yep, I got caught editing.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:41 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Yep, I got caught editing.
Uh oh.

Maybe you're not feeling so guilty about taking a trip to NOLA now, huh? :wink:

PlacentiaSoccerMom

#7 Post by PlacentiaSoccerMom » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:36 pm

My problem is that before I can go on a trip, every bit of laundry has to be done. I also need to make sure that the house it totally picked up and my affairs are totally in order. I also needed to go grocery shopping so that there would be plenty of food in the house. Also, the girls' schedules are really henious and I have to make sure that there are directions and instructions, etc. because it would be unfair to leave things unorganized for Phyllis and Steve.

Today when I went in to volunteer, Emma's teacher asked me to do some work on a grant proposal he is working on, so that put me behind, but it's for a good cause and I felt like it was really important that I get it done. (I talked him out of using music by James Taylor and we are using Jimi Hendrix instead.)

We are leaving tomorrow at 10 a.m. I haven't even started packing yet. I just got on the computer so that I can upload pictures to send to Walgreens because Emma wants to enter a PTA competition which has a deadline of next Wednesday, the day I get back. If I get the pictures tonight, she can work on it while I am gone. :)

Sorry that I am bitching so much...

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:40 pm

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:Sorry that I am bitching so much...
Isn't that what friends are for? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

Re: Earendel

#9 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:23 am

jsuchard wrote:Check your signature tag. I think you may have a typographical error.

I've actually seen it both ways (I don't know how to make the diacritical mark above the "u", BTW), with or without the "e". Christopher Tolkien has said that his father often wavered between two spellings of some of the Elvish words (such as the difference between earendel and earendil). However I have changed the sig.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

minimetoo26
Royal Pain In Everyone's Ass

#10 Post by minimetoo26 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:45 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:My problem is that before I can go on a trip, every bit of laundry has to be done. I also need to make sure that the house it totally picked up and my affairs are totally in order. I also needed to go grocery shopping so that there would be plenty of food in the house.
OMG, does that sound familiar! And when you come back to find a pile of wet towels as tall as the washer on the floor right next to the washer....

You need a vacation from your vacations when you're the mom.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#11 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:55 am

PlacentiaSoccerMom wrote:
peacock2121 wrote:It's even worse.

Now we all know what she said when she didn't want us all to know what she said.

Yep, I got caught editing.
Where's my good friend Ms. Beaverhousen to harp on me about my favorite gripe?

Of course, I have no gripe this time. I saw what mrkelley had quoted last night....

lb13

tanstaafl2

#12 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:35 am

earendel wrote:
jsuchard wrote:Check your signature tag. I think you may have a typographical error.

I've actually seen it both ways (I don't know how to make the diacritical mark above the "u", BTW), with or without the "e". Christopher Tolkien has said that his father often wavered between two spellings of some of the Elvish words (such as the difference between earendel and earendil). However I have changed the sig.
I would rather have thought if you wished to have the mark above the "u" you could just have cut and pasted what was posted into your profile page?

Rather like this:

They can also most likely be created by using the symbols function in most any word processor program. It is available in Microsoft Word I know.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:46 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:I would rather have thought if you wished to have the mark above the "u" you could just have cut and pasted what was posted into your profile page?
What I really need is an Elvish font!

ladysoleil

#14 Post by ladysoleil » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:17 pm

earendel wrote:

Slightly off-topic but I love that I am hanging out with people who know how to proofread in Elvish. :)

Bob Juch

#15 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:29 pm

ladysoleil wrote:Slightly off-topic but I love that I am hanging out with people who know how to proofread in Elvish. :)

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:33 pm

ladysoleil wrote:Slightly off-topic but I love that I am hanging out with people who know how to proofread in Elvish. :)
I'm impressed. A young man at our church, the son of a good friend, taught himself Elvish using material he found online. He printed out volumes of material and has learned to speak and write Quenya (he prefers it to Sindarin). If only he would have devoted as much effort to his real school work.

Bob Juch

#17 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:37 pm

earendel wrote:
I'm impressed. A young man at our church, the son of a good friend, taught himself Elvish using material he found online. He printed out volumes of material and has learned to speak and write Quenya (he prefers it to Sindarin). If only he would have devoted as much effort to his real school work.
A friend of mine at UCLA transcribed his class notes into Quenya.