Computer Strangeness

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

#26 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:53 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
gsabc wrote:Has your home page changed its graphics recently? That includes any funky animated ads and banners. It sounds like your computer is having trouble processing the initial download. Once everything is in the IE cache, it would be faster.
Set your home page to blank and see if that's still a problem.
I don't think it has anything to do with the home page because anything that first pops up in a new window will cause the same delay.

lb13
Do you mean you have the same problem when opening a new tab in the same IE window?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#27 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:09 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Set your home page to blank and see if that's still a problem.
I don't think it has anything to do with the home page because anything that first pops up in a new window will cause the same delay.

lb13
Do you mean you have the same problem when opening a new tab in the same IE window?

I don't like to use tabs, but I just tried to open a link in a new tab.

Same delay....

lb13

Sir_Galahad

#28 Post by Sir_Galahad » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:38 pm

Can you find out how much space you have left on the C: drive?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" - Edmund Burke

Perhaps the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about...

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#29 Post by littlebeast13 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:56 pm

Here's the message that has come up on me twice (I wrote it down this time) when I first click on IE since my problem started:

"DiscUpdateMgr.exe - Common Language Runtime Debugging Services

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled."

Then there's a computerese string of characters and it asks if I want to terminate the program or debug it.

lb13

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#30 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:38 am

littlebeast13 wrote:Here's the message that has come up on me twice (I wrote it down this time) when I first click on IE since my problem started:

Then there's a computerese string of characters and it asks if I want to terminate the program or debug it.

lb13

Here's the other message I saw one other time yesterday, which popped up when I clicked on IE this morning:

"DISCover.exe - Unable to locate component

This application has failed to start because DiscDLL.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

I am a computer idiot and have no idea what either of these mean....

lb13

earendel

#31 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:40 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:Here's the message that has come up on me twice (I wrote it down this time) when I first click on IE since my problem started:

lb13
Here's the other message I saw one other time yesterday, which popped up when I clicked on IE this morning:

This application has failed to start because DiscDLL.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

lb13
After doing some Internet searching, I discovered that these two processes are caused by some software program developed by a company called "Digital Interactive Systems Corporation". According to the company Web site they are "a premier provider of on-demand video content" primarily with respect to PC games. I found a site that has links enabling you to scan your hard drive for errors relating to these two programs.

This:

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunnin ... ocess=4480

is for the DiscUpdateMgr.exe program and this:

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunnin ... ocess=5573

is for the DISCover.exe program. You might try doing these scans and see what, if anything shows up.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#32 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:12 am

earendel wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

lb13
After doing some Internet searching, I discovered that these two processes are caused by some software program developed by a company called "Digital Interactive Systems Corporation". According to the company Web site they are "a premier provider of on-demand video content" primarily with respect to PC games. I found a site that has links enabling you to scan your hard drive for errors relating to these two programs.

This:

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunnin ... ocess=4480

is for the DiscUpdateMgr.exe program and this:

http://www.whatsrunning.net/whatsrunnin ... ocess=5573

is for the DISCover.exe program. You might try doing these scans and see what, if anything shows up.

I may give these a shot when I get a chance this afternoon. Thanks!

lb13

mrkelley23

#33 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:14 am

Just be careful -- a lot of these "free" checks run over the web are really excuses to load you up with that company's version of their anti-spyware software.

I think I would go to Digital whatever-their-name-is's home page and see if I could reinstall their application first. You just seem to be missing a .dll file, which is usually tiny.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

MarleysGh0st

#34 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:29 am

mrkelley23 wrote:Just be careful -- a lot of these "free" checks run over the web are really excuses to load you up with that company's version of their anti-spyware software.

I think I would go to Digital whatever-their-name-is's home page and see if I could reinstall their application first. You just seem to be missing a .dll file, which is usually tiny.
I was wondering if these processes from that "premier provider of on-demand video content" were really something beast wants running on his PC to support some of the games he plays or if they're some kind of malware he should be purging.

earendel

#35 Post by earendel » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:33 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
mrkelley23 wrote:Just be careful -- a lot of these "free" checks run over the web are really excuses to load you up with that company's version of their anti-spyware software.

I was wondering if these processes from that "premier provider of on-demand video content" were really something beast wants running on his PC to support some of the games he plays or if they're some kind of malware he should be purging.
I saw one site where it was suggested that the DiscUpdateMgr.exe could be a Trojan, but if lb's AV software is up to date it's not likely. It's more probably that, as mrkelley suggested, it's a missing .dll file that is causing the problem.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#36 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:39 am

earendel wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

I saw one site where it was suggested that the DiscUpdateMgr.exe could be a Trojan, but if lb's AV software is up to date it's not likely. It's more probably that, as mrkelley suggested, it's a missing .dll file that is causing the problem.

I would like to hope it is. Since I got the Norton about 4 years ago, I haven't had a single virus problem (after having 2 attacks in a span of 6 months)... and that goes back to my first computer that blew up a year and a half ago...

I wonder what the purpose of that .dll file is, and why (if it is indeed the problem) would it cause the standstill when trying to open a window...

lb13

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#37 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:10 am

I have checked in my list of installed programs and found the program DISCover. It lists 11/25/06 as the date it was last used... the same date that was on a bunch of HP games I noticed in the program manager which I uninstalled last night. Is this program only used for online gaming stuff.... i.e., I assume it's not critical for web browsing since I obviously did not have it when I first set up this computer about a month before that?

If this is something I don't need (and I don't play games online), I'll probably just uninstall it and see if that helps....

lb13

MarleysGh0st

#38 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:15 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:I have checked in my list of installed programs and found the program DISCover. It lists 11/25/06 as the date it was last used... the same date that was on a bunch of HP games I noticed in the program manager which I uninstalled last night. Is this program only used for online gaming stuff.... i.e., I assume it's not critical for web browsing since I obviously did not have it when I first set up this computer about a month before that?

If this is something I don't need (and I don't play games online), I'll probably just uninstall it and see if that helps....

lb13
Ah, it's an HP computer. Sounds like this is one of the craplets that HP bundles into their PCs that you can safely uninstall.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 703AAodd5Y

The money quote:
Digital Interactive Systems Corporation (DISCover) is a software/technology company that provides a game center that allows you to search, try, buy, and download games on-demand.
In other words, crap that's bogging down your computer in an attempt to sell you something. :evil:

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#39 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:20 pm

I uninstalled DISCover and restarted.

No warning boxes when I clicked on IE, but the delay is still there....

When I tried to open a second window while the homepage was still loading, adoginhispen.com came up in the little blue window box at the bottom. I have looked at Google already and have seen it's not necessarily good...

I am running a Norton scan now. It says the last scan was Monday, the day this started, so maybe it will turn up something or maybe not....

lb13

Jeemie

#40 Post by Jeemie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:00 pm

I read this entire thread without understanding a word of it.

Way cool!
1979 City of Champions 2009

MarleysGh0st

#41 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:06 pm

Jeemie wrote:I read this entire thread without understanding a word of it.

Way cool!
I admire your persistence, but surely you're exaggerating.

What, for instance, don't you understand about the word "I"? :P