Washer Advice - No Longer Needed

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SpacemanSpiff

Re: Washer Advice - ASAP Please

#26 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:33 pm

On a serious note - how old (and what design) is the washer?

We had a similar "weird" issues shortly after we got our washer four years ago. It's one of the top-loaders, but it's semi-newfangled and has electronics rather than the mechanical knob.

Two months after buying it, I made the mistake of washing clothes with thunder outside. We had a minor momentary brownout, but then the unit didn't want to go into the spin cycle (the other stuff worked fine). The standard owners manual troubleshooting said to unplug the machine for a few minutes to let the electronics reset, then plug it it. I did, but nothing changed.

Since it was still under warranty, I got the Designated Repair Guy in. He fixed it in two minutes, and showed me how.

Turned out the book was incomplete. Yes, unplug it to let it reset. Then, open and close the lid five time. Apparantly the magnetic sensor on the door has to let the computer know it's really reset rather than a random act of power loss for any length of time.

Not sure that helps your problem, but I thought I'd throw that in there.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#27 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:54 pm

Beebs52 wrote:GREAT avatar! If only it could happen...

Yuck...gray water. Oh, they must have gray squirrels down there, or at least gray armadillos.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#28 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Turned out the book was incomplete. Yes, unplug it to let it reset. Then, open and close the lid five time. Apparantly the magnetic sensor on the door has to let the computer know it's really reset rather than a random act of power loss for any length of time
Did you have to pat your head and rub your stomach counter clockwise while standing on one foot too?

Queen Fantine VIII
Her Majesty

#29 Post by Queen Fantine VIII » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:09 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:On a serious note - how old (and what design) is the washer?

We had a similar "weird" issues shortly after we got our washer four years ago. It's one of the top-loaders, but it's semi-newfangled and has electronics rather than the mechanical knob.

Two months after buying it, I made the mistake of washing clothes with thunder outside. We had a minor momentary brownout, but then the unit didn't want to go into the spin cycle (the other stuff worked fine). The standard owners manual troubleshooting said to unplug the machine for a few minutes to let the electronics reset, then plug it it. I did, but nothing changed.

Since it was still under warranty, I got the Designated Repair Guy in. He fixed it in two minutes, and showed me how.

Turned out the book was incomplete. Yes, unplug it to let it reset. Then, open and close the lid five time. Apparantly the magnetic sensor on the door has to let the computer know it's really reset rather than a random act of power loss for any length of time.

You must have the "standard" model. While opening and closing the lid on the deluxe model you also turn around, close your eyes and then click your heels together three times while saying "I want clean undies. I want clean undies! I WANT CLEAN UNDIES, DAMMIT!!!"

It helps if it's midnight and the lights are turned off.....

And I would be willing to wager a great deal of scratch that lb does NOT have an electronic washing machine. Ha!
Exeunt Regina......

Queen Fantine VIII
Her Majesty

#30 Post by Queen Fantine VIII » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:10 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Turned out the book was incomplete. Yes, unplug it to let it reset. Then, open and close the lid five time. Apparantly the magnetic sensor on the door has to let the computer know it's really reset rather than a random act of power loss for any length of time
Did you have to pat your head and rub your stomach counter clockwise while standing on one foot too?
Only if you're using the pre-soak cycle....
Exeunt Regina......

tlynn78

#31 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:41 pm

Queen Fantine VIII wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:On a serious note - how old (and what design) is the washer?

You must have the "standard" model. While opening and closing the lid on the deluxe model you also turn around, close your eyes and then click your heels together three times while saying "I want clean undies. I want clean undies! I WANT CLEAN UNDIES, DAMMIT!!!"

It helps if it's midnight and the lights are turned off.....

And I would be willing to wager a great deal of scratch that lb does NOT have an electronic washing machine. Ha!

LOL - I have an ex-sister-in-law who I sweartoGod would actually try that...

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#32 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:52 pm

All I know about it is that it is a Whirlpool of unknown age with the knob you have to spin and pull out to start up. I inherited the set from Sister #1 when she was looking to get rid of them around the same time I was moving in here (Not that they were bad, she just didn't want her ex to take them... though the dryer has always been shit).....

Cats getting behind the washer and dryer was always an issue during the Spilly era (And they'd do it no matter how much crap I'd put beside the washer to try to block them off), but hasn't been an issue so much recently....

Is there any easy way to test to see if the drain cycle works again without actually attempting to do another load?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Queen Fantine VIII
Her Majesty

#33 Post by Queen Fantine VIII » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:20 pm

Poor Merv looks like he's been shot at and missed and shit at and hit....
Spoiler
Dadism!
Exeunt Regina......

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#34 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:31 pm

Queen Fantine VIII wrote:Poor Merv looks like he's been shot at and missed and shit at and hit....
Spoiler
Dadism!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Bob Juch

#35 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:03 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:

All I know about it is that it is a Whirlpool of unknown age with the knob you have to spin and pull out to start up. I inherited the set from Sister #1 when she was looking to get rid of them around the same time I was moving in here (Not that they were bad, she just didn't want her ex to take them... though the dryer has always been shit).....

Cats getting behind the washer and dryer was always an issue during the Spilly era (And they'd do it no matter how much crap I'd put beside the washer to try to block them off), but hasn't been an issue so much recently....

Is there any easy way to test to see if the drain cycle works again without actually attempting to do another load?

lb13
Just run it empty?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#36 Post by secondchance » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:37 pm

Here's my advice, beastie...

GET YOURSELF A G.D. NEW SET!

(and that wasn't yelling, doll. just some, oh lets say, motherly-type persuasional-speak)

I mean, the dryer's a piece of shit anyway, and why pay for a repairman or parts when you could just kick in and get A NEW SET? Perhaps on one of those "take the rest of your life to pay us back with no interest" deals, or even a nice used set from a store that sells that kind of crap ~ with maybe a 30-day warantee or sumpin. And they can haul away your old dreck while they're delivering it. Yup. That's my vote.

:idea:

cindy.wellman
LOLOLOL

#37 Post by cindy.wellman » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Enter your brand and model number into Google with "troubleshooting" or something similar. We have a relatively (2007) new front loading model that wouldn't drain and the internets helped!

For ours there was this random filter thing you could empty, but you had to practically take the washer apart to get to it. One site even warned about making sure not to cut yourself when reaching in for the filter as a horrible infection had resulted when they did it. Sigh.

Even if your problem is nothing related to what I mentioned, I've found lots of good advice from people who have my particular model of things.

peacock2121

#38 Post by peacock2121 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:52 am

Happened to me a few years back - the pump had gone to heaven. The Sears guy came to fix it. There was a sock in the pump.

Really shouldn't over stuff the washer.

really

Bob Juch

#39 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:57 am

secondchance wrote:Here's my advice, beastie...

GET YOURSELF A G.D. NEW SET!

(and that wasn't yelling, doll. just some, oh lets say, motherly-type persuasional-speak)

I mean, the dryer's a piece of shit anyway, and why pay for a repairman or parts when you could just kick in and get A NEW SET? Perhaps on one of those "take the rest of your life to pay us back with no interest" deals, or even a nice used set from a store that sells that kind of crap ~ with maybe a 30-day warantee or sumpin. And they can haul away your old dreck while they're delivering it. Yup. That's my vote.

:idea:
He can't. Walmart* doesn't sell them. :P
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#40 Post by secondchance » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:08 am

So what's the latest with the washer saga? Have you become familiar with the local lavenderia yet?

Doug's in town for his H.S. Reunion. Maybe you can haul your load of tighty whities over to Caseyville.

:shock: :mrgreen:

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#41 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:25 am

secondchance wrote:So what's the latest with the washer saga? Have you become familiar with the local lavenderia yet?

Doug's in town for his H.S. Reunion. Maybe you can haul your load of tighty whities over to Caseyville.

I've been too busy with sleeping or doctor's appointments the last two days to do anything about it. Might start exploring options tomorrow....

I have finally removed the victimized load from the dryer, which was overmatched for how soaked it all was anyway. Have the couple shirts and jeans airdrying in my room. The towels (Which was the bulk of the load) are still in there until I can think of something to do with them....

I'm good on clothes for another week, and in a crisis (being a guy and a slob at that), I could "recycle" clothes as long as I needed, but hopefully there will be a solution before that becomes a reality....

lb13

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#42 Post by secondchance » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:06 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
secondchance wrote:So what's the latest with the washer saga? Have you become familiar with the local lavenderia yet?

I've been too busy with sleeping or doctor's appointments the last two days to do anything about it. Might start exploring options tomorrow....

I have finally removed the victimized load from the dryer, which was overmatched for how soaked it all was anyway. Have the couple shirts and jeans airdrying in my room. The towels (Which was the bulk of the load) are still in there until I can think of something to do with them....

I'm good on clothes for another week, and in a crisis (being a guy and a slob at that), I could "recycle" clothes as long as I needed, but hopefully there will be a solution before that becomes a reality....

lb13
what's wrong, beast- are you under the weather? It's not kidney boulders again, is it? :|

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#43 Post by secondchance » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:06 am

littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
what's wrong, beast- are you under the weather? It's not kidney boulders again, is it? :|

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#44 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 am

secondchance wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

I am under nice weather at this time. My regular followup with the stone doctor was this morning however. All still seems to be clear....

lb13

mrkelley23

#45 Post by mrkelley23 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:15 am

You know, with an older washer and a load with towels in it, it's possible you just had too much weight in there for it to spin. If you have the time and are willing to bail water again if it doesn't work, I'd suggest what somebody said before: try it with a very light load or none at all. Then if it spins, you can try upping the weight a little at a time.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#46 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:23 am

mrkelley23 wrote:You know, with an older washer and a load with towels in it, it's possible you just had too much weight in there for it to spin. If you have the time and are willing to bail water again if it doesn't work, I'd suggest what somebody said before: try it with a very light load or none at all. Then if it spins, you can try upping the weight a little at a time.
*You spin me right round, baby
right round like a record, baby
Right round round round
You spin me right round, baby
Right round like a record, baby
Right round round round

Bob Juch

#47 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:30 am

mrkelley23 wrote:You know, with an older washer and a load with towels in it, it's possible you just had too much weight in there for it to spin. If you have the time and are willing to bail water again if it doesn't work, I'd suggest what somebody said before: try it with a very light load or none at all. Then if it spins, you can try upping the weight a little at a time.
I'd try it with the washer totally empty first.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#48 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:55 pm

Bob Juch wrote:

Did that this morning..... wound up sucking that water out with the hose as well.....

lb13

Queen Fantine VIII
Her Majesty

#49 Post by Queen Fantine VIII » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:59 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

Did that this morning..... wound up sucking that water out with the hose as well.....

lb13
Did you check your drain hose and/or pipe to see if you got a sock or something stuck in there?
Exeunt Regina......

christie1111
11:11

#50 Post by christie1111 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:13 pm

I think there will soon be a thread titled:

RIP LB Washer
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"