My friend got rif'd

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

Re: My friend got rif'd

#26 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:38 pm

plasticene wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:Rif, plus riffed and riffing, made it into the OSPD (Official Scrabble Players Dictionary) a while back, very annoying. As someone pointed it, it wasn't used in 2004. Once a word is in OSPD, can it come back out? I was annoyed at several of the words that made it in that year but rif is the only one I can remember.
That's embarrassing. I knew RIF was a word (we usually use all caps when we talk about words in the context of using them in a game), but I didn't even realize it was a verb, since RIFFED and RIFFING are also forms of the common verb RIFF.

It's fairly unusual for a word to be removed from the OSPD. A large number of "offensive" words were removed when the third edition was published, but we still use them in tournament play. Here is the full list of words that were removed when the fourth edition was published: ALNICOES BIRDSHOTS BUCKSHOTS COULISES EMF EMFS HAFIS NUMINOUSES. Most of those are erroneous plurals, HAFIS looks like a misspelling of HAFIZ, and someone must have formerly thought that EMF (electro-motive force) was pronounced as a single syllable rather than spelled out. It isn't clear why AMU and AMUS (atomic mass units) weren't eliminated by the same logic, but as long as they're on the list, we have to consider them kosher for playing the game.

The word list used virtually everywhere but the US and Canada for English-language Scrabble, which contains all of our words as well as thousands of words not valid here, is getting a revision effective January 1, 2012, which you might have read or heard about. There is a long list of words being eliminated, including at least a few neologisms that they had included in their last revision, such as WASM (an outmoded "ISM").
Thanks, Plasticene -- I had not heard about the new edition. Mine dates from around 1980 . . .

I hope they get rid of a bunch of the neologisms they were dumb enough to put in. OTOH, radar was a neologism once. Oh well.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#27 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:40 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
plasticene wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:Rif, plus riffed and riffing, made it into the OSPD (Official Scrabble Players Dictionary) a while back, very annoying. As someone pointed it, it wasn't used in 2004. Once a word is in OSPD, can it come back out? I was annoyed at several of the words that made it in that year but rif is the only one I can remember.
That's embarrassing. I knew RIF was a word (we usually use all caps when we talk about words in the context of using them in a game), but I didn't even realize it was a verb, since RIFFED and RIFFING are also forms of the common verb RIFF.

It's fairly unusual for a word to be removed from the OSPD. A large number of "offensive" words were removed when the third edition was published, but we still use them in tournament play. Here is the full list of words that were removed when the fourth edition was published: ALNICOES BIRDSHOTS BUCKSHOTS COULISES EMF EMFS HAFIS NUMINOUSES. Most of those are erroneous plurals, HAFIS looks like a misspelling of HAFIZ, and someone must have formerly thought that EMF (electro-motive force) was pronounced as a single syllable rather than spelled out. It isn't clear why AMU and AMUS (atomic mass units) weren't eliminated by the same logic, but as long as they're on the list, we have to consider them kosher for playing the game.

The word list used virtually everywhere but the US and Canada for English-language Scrabble, which contains all of our words as well as thousands of words not valid here, is getting a revision effective January 1, 2012, which you might have read or heard about. There is a long list of words being eliminated, including at least a few neologisms that they had included in their last revision, such as WASM (an outmoded "ISM").
Thanks, Plasticene -- I had not heard about the new edition. Mine dates from around 1980 . . .

I hope they get rid of a bunch of the neologisms they were dumb enough to put in. OTOH, radar was a neologism once. Oh well.

Is mangy in there anywhere?

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#28 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:40 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:
plasticene wrote:That's embarrassing. I knew RIF was a word (we usually use all caps when we talk about words in the context of using them in a game), but I didn't even realize it was a verb, since RIFFED and RIFFING are also forms of the common verb RIFF.

lb13
Yes, next to a picture of ES.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Evil Squirrel
Merry Man

#29 Post by Evil Squirrel » Fri May 27, 2011 12:47 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
SportsFan68 wrote:

lb13
Yes, next to a picture of ES.

I'm more towards the front of the book, Sprotsie Baby!!!!
Squirrels are the architects of forests, the planters of trees, nature's own acrobats and show a zest for life that can inspire us. Every day should be National Squirrel Appreciation Day!

--squirrelmama (10/3/07)

Many of these (squirrel) migrations were probably caused by food shortages as well as habitat overcrowding. We solved that for them. We not only reduced their habitat, we reduced the whole species by about 90%. The least we can do now is share a little birdseed with them.

--Richard E. Mallery

2008 Squirrel of the Year Award winner

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#30 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:50 pm

Adorable? You're dreamin again.

Mange is correct.

MarleysGh0st

#31 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 27, 2011 5:42 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:Adorable? You're dreamin again.

Mange is correct.
I'd say Sprots gets credit for a "Found It," even if she didn't use the formal phrasing. :)