THE END IS NEAR!!!!

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

Re: THE END IS NEAR!!!!

#26 Post by frogman042 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:25 am

It must be true, I guess they are trying to stop the 34th Annual O. Henry Pun-Off World Championship this weekend. BTW, will it also effect the middle-earth as well? Will it be a Sauron-Wrapture?

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#27 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:32 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
christie1111 wrote:
Vague Mini wrote:What is up with this??

First we have the world ending on Erin's birthday (12/21) and now you move it up to her friend Molly's birthday Saturday!!! Can you at least wait until after the party???????

That is what a co-workers was saying. She is having a birhtday party (her birthday) at her house on Saturday. She was hoping the end of the world would come later in the day so they could at least have had something to eat and drink first.

So I thought the Messiah had to come back first, then we had a bit of time to enjoy it, then the end of the world. Damn, I sould have read some of those pamphlets so I could have planned better!
What I've heard is that the rapture is to happen this weekend; the actual end isn't until October. Which is to say, anyone you see at church on Sunday hasn't really been saved. :? :shock:

(In all seriousness, when I hear folks genuinely promote this, I keep thinking of a classic line from Ramses II in The Ten Commandments: "Let him rave on, so men may know him mad.")

Well, I already signed up for the Post Rapture Looting on FaceBook.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

Vague Mini
Merry Man

#28 Post by Vague Mini » Wed May 18, 2011 10:39 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
christie1111 wrote:

That is what a co-workers was saying. She is having a birhtday party (her birthday) at her house on Saturday. She was hoping the end of the world would come later in the day so they could at least have had something to eat and drink first.

So I thought the Messiah had to come back first, then we had a bit of time to enjoy it, then the end of the world. Damn, I sould have read some of those pamphlets so I could have planned better!
What I've heard is that the rapture is to happen this weekend; the actual end isn't until October. Which is to say, anyone you see at church on Sunday hasn't really been saved. :? :shock:

(In all seriousness, when I hear folks genuinely promote this, I keep thinking of a classic line from Ramses II in The Ten Commandments: "Let him rave on, so men may know him mad.")

Be sure to pick up some fresh avatars somewhere....
Huh? What?

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#29 Post by frogman042 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:44 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:
christie1111 wrote:

Will SCUBA divers (or frogmen) experience the Rapture of the Deep?

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#30 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:55 am

frogman042 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:

Yeah, and you'll hook up with Jacques Cousteau and Lloyd Bridges. And if you're lucky, Jacqueline Bisset.

tlynn78

#31 Post by tlynn78 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:01 am

Beebs52 wrote:
tlynn78 wrote:Yeah, that's not going to work for me, either.

t.
You wanna go for a mani-pedi together?
Sister, I am sooo overdue. You're on.

t.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Snaxx

#32 Post by Snaxx » Wed May 18, 2011 11:05 am

I will be at nu Candlestick (whatever they call their ballpark now) in San Fran, planned before hearing of this big event. Of course it has to be an earthquake.
San Francisco and Oakland... the same teams that played the 1989 World Series.
It's destiny...
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#33 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:26 am

Vague Mini wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
SpacemanSpiff wrote:

I've got plenty in cryogenic storage next to Ted and Walt.

MarleysGh0st

#34 Post by MarleysGh0st » Wed May 18, 2011 11:49 am

BackInTex wrote:Crap! Just thought about something. Is the 6PM thing EDT or EST? Did they have DST factored into the original analysis?
IIRC, he's said it will start at 6 PM local time on the International Dateline, and then proceed around the world to hit at 6 PM in each sequential time zone. So I guess you could call a friend in Australia to get an early synchronization check.

How the Bible predicted an event starting at an arbitrary line that wasn't even defined until the 19th century (IIRC) is a mystery to me, but I'm not into that "infallibility" doctrine.

Appa23

#35 Post by Appa23 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:05 pm

Do other BBs have those "May 21st" billboards in their cities, as well? I have seen them in Omaha and KC, starting maybe 4-6 months back.

SpacemanSpiff

#36 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed May 18, 2011 12:33 pm

Appa23 wrote:Do other BBs have those "May 21st" billboards in their cities, as well? I have seen them in Omaha and KC, starting maybe 4-6 months back.
Not locally (Richmond VA), but I did see a few on the way to and from Savannah GA a few weeks back.

I have seen them the past few months as half-page ads in Readers Digest. Ironically, it wasn't in the one we got Monday; maybe since it has a June-July cover date, they figured most folks wouldn't get it until it's too late, so why spend the money?
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#37 Post by frogman042 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:19 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BackInTex wrote:Crap! Just thought about something. Is the 6PM thing EDT or EST? Did they have DST factored into the original analysis?
IIRC, he's said it will start at 6 PM local time on the International Dateline, and then proceed around the world to hit at 6 PM in each sequential time zone. So I guess you could call a friend in Australia to get an early synchronization check.

How the Bible predicted an event starting at an arbitrary line that wasn't even defined until the 19th century (IIRC) is a mystery to me, but I'm not into that "infallibility" doctrine.
Did he use the Julian or Gregorian calendar?

Vague Mini
Merry Man

#38 Post by Vague Mini » Wed May 18, 2011 1:47 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Vague Mini wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

I've got plenty in cryogenic storage next to Ted and Walt.
Then it must be your Green Initiative that has you recycling that Squirrels Gone Wild one all the time... :P :P
Huh? What?

Jeemie

#39 Post by Jeemie » Wed May 18, 2011 2:05 pm

frogman042 wrote:It must be true, I guess they are trying to stop the 34th Annual O. Henry Pun-Off World Championship this weekend. BTW, will it also effect the middle-earth as well? Will it be a Sauron-Wrapture?
I must be dense.

I don't get this one.
1979 City of Champions 2009

earendel

#40 Post by earendel » Wed May 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Jeemie wrote:
frogman042 wrote:It must be true, I guess they are trying to stop the 34th Annual O. Henry Pun-Off World Championship this weekend. BTW, will it also effect the middle-earth as well? Will it be a Sauron-Wrapture?
I must be dense.

I don't get this one.
Saran Wrap.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

BackInTex

#41 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 18, 2011 2:08 pm

Jeemie wrote:
I must be dense.

I don't get this one.
Saran Wrap

I'm not a LOTR person so Sauron means nothing to me, but I assume there is a connection.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

SpacemanSpiff

#42 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed May 18, 2011 2:14 pm

frogman042 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Actually, Mr. Camping seems to be going by days rather than years, assuming Jesus was crucified on AD 4/1/33 ([5 x 10 x 17]^2 days after that date; the numbers representing his Biblical view of atonement, completeness, and heaven, respectively), and juxtaposing it with when he believes the Great Flood occurred (5/21/4990 BC - Saturday would be 7000 years after that event). His logic is as much based in numerology as it is in Biblical prophecy.

Considering that Mr. Camping previously stated that September 6, 1994 was R-Day (after previously believing it would be in 1988, the 40th anniversary of modern Israel), one might wonder if he needs to re-check his math. Or his assumptions.

Jeemie

#43 Post by Jeemie » Wed May 18, 2011 2:15 pm

earendel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
I must be dense.

I don't get this one.
Saran Wrap.
Thanks!

That just wasn't registering.

Probably because I DO know LOtR, and so I know Sauron is pronounced "Sore-on"...thus differentiating it from "Saran" for me, despite the "similar spelling".

earendel

#44 Post by earendel » Wed May 18, 2011 2:17 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
frogman042 wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:

Actually, Mr. Camping seems to be going by days rather than years, assuming Jesus was crucified on AD 4/1/33 ([5 x 10 x 17]^2 days after that date; the numbers representing his Biblical view of atonement, completeness, and heaven, respectively), and juxtaposing it with when he believes the Great Flood occurred (5/21/4990 BC - Saturday would be 7000 years after that event). His logic is as much based in numerology as it is in Biblical prophecy.

Considering that Mr. Camping previously stated that September 6, 1994 was R-Day (after previously believing it would be in 1988, the 40th anniversary of modern Israel), one might wonder if he needs to re-check his math. Or his assumptions.
Camping was interviewed on NPR and this was brought up. He said that his previous predictions were based on "incomplete information" but now he knows better. My guess is that this will be the same excuse he'll use this time.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

BackInTex

#45 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 18, 2011 2:18 pm

Jeemie wrote:
earendel wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
I must be dense.

I don't get this one.
Saran Wrap.
Thanks!

Probably because I DO know LOtR, and so I know Sauron is pronounced "Sore-on"...thus differentiating it from "Saran" for me, despite the "similar spelling".
Sumtimes stoopid is the new smart.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#46 Post by ulysses5019 » Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Jeemie wrote:
earendel wrote: Saran Wrap.
Thanks!

Sumtimes stoopid is the new smart.

Unless it's Bozo.

Jeemie

#47 Post by Jeemie » Wed May 18, 2011 4:31 pm

earendel wrote:Camping was interviewed on NPR and this was brought up. He said that his previous predictions were based on "incomplete information" but now he knows better. My guess is that this will be the same excuse he'll use this time.
He's made it really difficult to use that excuse this time.

I remember this guy from back then. When he set the date the last time, he hedged his bets a TON (even the book where he announced the date was titled 1994?)

Not so this time- he says there's no way he's wrong this time.

Personally (and I may be morbid about this), I think he figures he's 89 years old, so if he's wrong this time, he's not got that much time left anyway...

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

#48 Post by etaoin22 » Wed May 18, 2011 4:47 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
frogman042 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

Yeah, and you'll hook up with Jacques Cousteau and Lloyd Bridges. And if you're lucky, Jacqueline Bisset.
OTOH if you are in an early eighties disco, you know you're in Hell:

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#49 Post by silvercamaro » Wed May 18, 2011 4:54 pm

etaoin22 wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
frogman042 wrote: Will SCUBA divers (or frogmen) experience the Rapture of the Deep?
OTOH if you are in an early eighties disco, you know you're in Hell:

The best part of that video is the goat.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

SpacemanSpiff

#50 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed May 18, 2011 4:58 pm

silvercamaro wrote:The best part of that video is the goat.
Didn't know you were a Texas A&M fan. :mrgreen: