Millionaire Rules

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
kbhirsch

Millionaire Rules

#1 Post by kbhirsch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:19 am

I am involved in a piece of litigation involving a former contestant on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. For various reasons, the show's rules have become an issue in the case. I know this is probably a stretch, but has anyone kept a copy of the Show's rules from the very early days (preferably the February 2001 timeframe). Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: Millionaire Rules

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:53 am

Sorry, I thought I had some copies of the early syndie BAM rules on my computer, but looks like they got lost in an upgrade or two.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:38 am

I'm intrigued. I don't think this involves Rick Rosner, since he was on in 2000. I wonder if it has anything to do with the special bonus jackpot that was in play in February 2001. I lost my first chance at it in January 2001 and it continued to grow during February and March, until Kevin Olmstead won it in April. It's possible that I might have saved some old rules, but finding them would take a lot of digging.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:45 am

kbhirsch wrote:I am involved in a piece of litigation involving a former contestant on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. For various reasons, the show's rules have become an issue in the case. I know this is probably a stretch, but has anyone kept a copy of the Show's rules from the very early days (preferably the February 2001 timeframe). Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Can't you get a copy by serving Valleycrest with a subpoena duces tecum? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

kbhirsch

#5 Post by kbhirsch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 pm

Bob -- I'm sure I could get it through a subpoena to Valleycrest, but serving the subpoena properly in California would cost more than it's ultimately worth (as it really relates to a fairly tangential issue in the lawsuit). Also, we already have an issue in the case whereby the Judge has ordered that Valleycrest be added as a "necessary party" but Valleycrest has no interest in participating in the litigation. I don't really want to stir the Valleycrest pot any more.

takinover

#6 Post by takinover » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:06 pm

I tried the Wayback Machine, but the 2001 pages only yield an ABC oops message

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200102 ... rules.html

The Wayback Machine's earliest rendition is from February 04 Super WWTBAM.

http://replay.waybackmachine.org/200402 ... rules.html

jaybee

#7 Post by jaybee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:12 pm

OK, the hard part is admit that yes - I do have a hard copy of exactly what you are looking for. All I can say is that I have my 'BAM' box up in my attic storage room. I really, really do have a life outside of BAM, I promise.

15 pages, and according to section 2G covers the sixth series - tape dates from February 1,2001 through may 31,2001.

Is that what you are looking for?

You can PM me a fax number and I can send it right off, or an address and I'll snail mail you a copy. If you know what area of info you need, I could just send those pages.
Jaybee

kbhirsch

#8 Post by kbhirsch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks Jaybee -- I will PM you the info.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#9 Post by clem21 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:25 pm

Also, as a really really good law student who's been on the show and is willing to work for minimal pay, you should absolutely hire me to help....Please...
"Some people never go crazy, What truly horrible lives they must live..."
-Charles Bukowski

2011 [Bleep]house Rats Award Winner
2011 I've Been Everywhere New England Region Co-Champion

kbhirsch

#10 Post by kbhirsch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Clem -- Unfortunately I can't afford to pay you, but you're more than welcome to get some pro bono credit by helping out. I will say that in 12 years of practicing law, I've never been involved in a crazier case.

clem21
Nose Exploder

#11 Post by clem21 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:41 pm

kbhirsch wrote:Clem -- Unfortunately I can't afford to pay you, but you're more than welcome to get some pro bono credit by helping out. I will say that in 12 years of practicing law, I've never been involved in a crazier case.
I wouldn't get credit for it but where do you work out of? If it's in NYC area I might find some time...
-Charles Bukowski

kbhirsch

#12 Post by kbhirsch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 pm

I'm in Michigan. Anyways, the case is in good hands. Justice will prevail!

jaybee

#13 Post by jaybee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:24 pm

And the rules should be in Michigan by now too. :D
Jaybee

kbhirsch

#14 Post by kbhirsch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:47 pm

Thanks Jaybee ... this should definitely come in handy. And thanks to everyone else who checked out the old archives for me!

Spock

#15 Post by Spock » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:38 pm

jaybee wrote:OK, the hard part is admit that yes - I do have a hard copy of exactly what you are looking for. All I can say is that I have my 'BAM' box up in my attic storage room. I really, really do have a life outside of BAM, I promise.

15 pages, and according to section 2G covers the sixth series - tape dates from February 1,2001 through may 31,2001.

You can PM me a fax number and I can send it right off, or an address and I'll snail mail you a copy. If you know what area of info you need, I could just send those pages.
Well, folks-JB now has the perfect audition hook.
If he doesn't use it-Marley sould.

TheConfessor

#16 Post by TheConfessor » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:46 pm

Spock wrote:
jaybee wrote:OK, the hard part is admit that yes - I do have a hard copy of exactly what you are looking for. All I can say is that I have my 'BAM' box up in my attic storage room. I really, really do have a life outside of BAM, I promise.

I don't think that would win him any points with TPTB at WWTBAM. On the other hand, it might get him booked on "Hoarders."

jaybee

#17 Post by jaybee » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:10 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
Spock wrote:

I don't think that would win him any points with TPTB at WWTBAM. On the other hand, it might get him booked on "Hoarders."
Hummmmm...On one hand, I CAN'T get on a show to win a million bucks but I CAN make it to one that would ridicule me in front of the entire nation.

I think I'll just go watch Flipper.
Jaybee

smilergrogan

#18 Post by smilergrogan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm sure the rules sent from jaybee are correct and unaltered, but how will the judge in the case know that if no one from the production company vouches for them?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:41 pm

smilergrogan wrote:I'm sure the rules sent from jaybee are correct and unaltered, but how will the judge in the case know that if no one from the production company vouches for them?
Jaybee could sign a declaration to that effect, if necessary. Authentication problems of this nature are the sort of nuts-and-bolts detail that lawyers are used to dealing with. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:43 pm

kbhirsch wrote:I am involved in a piece of litigation involving a former contestant on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. For various reasons, the show's rules have become an issue in the case. I know this is probably a stretch, but has anyone kept a copy of the Show's rules from the very early days (preferably the February 2001 timeframe). Any assistance would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
I am intrigued, but I would have thought that the statute of limitations would have expired regarding any claims that might have arisen out of a broadcast in February 2001. For most civil matters it's four to six years in most states.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

kbhirsch

#21 Post by kbhirsch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:49 pm

No statute of limitations issue. The dispute actually arose from an agreement involving a contestant who was on the Show in 2009. The issue with the 2001 rules is solely to deal with a tangential issue that reflects on defendant's credibility.

Snaxx

#22 Post by Snaxx » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:52 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
I am intrigued, but I would have thought that the statute of limitations would have expired regarding any claims that might have arisen out of a broadcast in February 2001. For most civil matters it's four to six years in most states.
I'm guessing that TPTB is not a party to this litigation, and it is something else in the contestant's life (such as a divorce) that for some reason made his/her WWTBAM appearance an issue.

Edit: I see it was answered above.
---
Winner of 2011 Sports Madness :mrgreen:

ten96lt

#23 Post by ten96lt » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:58 am

Snaxx wrote:
I'm guessing that TPTB is not a party to this litigation, and it is something else in the contestant's life (such as a divorce) that for some reason made his/her WWTBAM appearance an issue.

Since I'm also very curious as to what it is being a soon-to-be law student I'll post speculation also unless kb wants to tell me in a PM which I'll keep private. My guess it could be about a PAF issue and an agreement about sharing winnings?

clem21
Nose Exploder

#24 Post by clem21 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:13 am

ten96lt wrote:
Snaxx wrote:

Since I'm also very curious as to what it is being a soon-to-be law student I'll post speculation also unless kb wants to tell me in a PM which I'll keep private. My guess it could be about a PAF issue and an agreement about sharing winnings?
How soon-to-be? Have you been applying this cycle?
-Charles Bukowski

MarleysGh0st

#25 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:17 am

ten96lt wrote:Since I'm also very curious as to what it is being a soon-to-be law student I'll post speculation also unless kb wants to tell me in a PM which I'll keep private. My guess it could be about a PAF issue and an agreement about sharing winnings?
Are you applying to Cornell Law School? As clem will tell you, it's really boring here in Ithaca, so you'll have no distractions from your studies! :mrgreen: