Transcript 10/17/2007 - Rayland Farlough

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/17/2007 - Rayland Farlough

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:07 pm

Rayland Farlough
Kansas City, MO
Unemployed

Meredith says Rayland needs the money and is ready to celebrate with an assortment of dance moves. Rayland says he'll "break off a little bit", saving the rest for later. He starts with something called "The Sprinkler". Meredith says that if Ray gets to $25K she wants a rainstorm.

$100 - In 2007, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame implemented a scholarship program for high school seniors planning to do what?

A - join the Army
B - study music
C - attend cooking school
D - purchase leather pants

$200 - Which of these historic persons has a surname that is synonymous with "escape artist"?

A - Annie Oakley
B - Napoleon Bonaparte
C - Harry Houdini
D - Benito Mussolini

$300 - Which of these drugstore brands sounds like the name of the body part on which it is designed to be worn?

A - Jergens
B - L'eggs
C - Band-Aid
D - ChapStick

Ray says he'd be remiss if he didn't say "B".

$500 - "Cockcrow" is an old-fashioned word that refers to what time of day?

A - dawn
B - noon
C - dusk
D - midnight

$1K - Since 1963, "To protect and to serve" has been the official motto of which of these abbreviated organizations?

A - LAPD
B - IRS
C - FCC
D - NRA

Ray says that ironically enough the answer is "A", eliciting some catcalls from the audience.

$2K - In the Winnie-the-Pooh series of stories, what character is known for losing his tail?

A - Tigger
B - Eeyore
C - Roo
D - Rabbit

Ray says they had to pin it on him because he was a donkey.

$4K - What U.S. national park is said to be home to more than half the world's geysers?

A - Yosemite
B - Death Valley
C - Everglades
D - Yellowstone

Ray was thinking of two of these, so he decides to ask the audience.

ATA results
A - 13%
B - 3%
C - 1%
D - 83%

Ray says that Yellowstone and Yosemite were the two he was thinking of. The audience looks sharp so he decides to trust them.

Ray bought a one-way ticket because his mother said that if he didn't do well he shouldn't bother to come home.

$8K - Nutritionists use the glycemic index to rank foods based on how they affect a person's what?

A - sodium intake
B - cholesterol level
C - blood sugar level
D - heart rate

Ray is 95% sure of this one, but that 5% is holding him back. He decides to go with "C" anyway.

Commercial break

Meredith asks when the last time Ray got a check was. He replies, "Two weeks ago when I got my severance check." Meredith asks what kind of work Ray wants. He says anything as long as it doesn't involve sales.

$16K - Which of these government buildings is located not in Washington, D.C., but in nearby Arlington, Virginia?

A - The Pentagon
B - Library of Congress
C - Department of the Treasury
D - Supreme Court Building

Ray is almost sure about this but he decides to call Harold, a friend. Ray begins reading the question by saying, "Dad..." Harold is 100% sure it's the Pentagon. Ray says that when they get home they will sit down and talk about this. Meredith asks why Ray called Harold; it's because he knows everything government.

$25K - To mimic the distinctive style of his work, what poet's name is often printed entirely in lowercase letters?

A - Allan Ginsberg
B - Langston Hughes
C - T.S. Eliot
D - E.E. Cummings

Ray says "Lifeline them if you got them." He asks for the 50/50, which leaves A and D. Ray says he's conservative by nature but he has an itchy trigger finger. He's pointing at one of them very hard and Meredith asks if he feels like pulling the trigger. He thinks it's Allan Ginsberg. Math tells him that he has a 50/50 chance, which is 50%, and that's half. Ray decides to take the money.

ANSWERS:
$100 - B (study music)
$200 - C (Harry Houdini)
$300 - B (L'eggs)
$500 - A (dawn)
$1K - A (LAPD)
$2K - B (Eeyore)
$4K - D (Yellowstone)
$8K - C (blood sugar level)
$16K - A (The Pentagon)
$25K - D (E.E.Cummings)

NellyLunatic1980

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:50 am

nihil obstat®

earendel

Re: Transcript 10/17/2007 - Rayland Farlough

#3 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:05 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Rayland Farlough
Kansas City, MO
Unemployed
There was something about Ray that annoyed me. I don't know how to describe it other than to say that he seemed to be affecting a pedantic speech pattern while in the Hot Seat.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith says Rayland needs the money and is ready to celebrate with an assortment of dance moves. Rayland says he'll "break off a little bit", saving the rest for later. He starts with something called "The Sprinkler". Meredith says that if Ray gets to $25K she wants a rainstorm.
I was expecting a reprise of the "dance move" that a previous contestant did, extending one arm and rotating the torso in a jerky fashion like a lawn sprinkler. But that's not what Ray did.

$4K - What U.S. national park is said to be home to more than half the world's geysers?

A - Yosemite
B - Death Valley
C - Everglades
D - Yellowstone

ATA results
A - 13%
B - 3%
C - 1%
D - 83%
[/quote]

Only 83%??
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Which of these government buildings is located not in Washington, D.C., but in nearby Arlington, Virginia?

A - The Pentagon
B - Library of Congress
I guessed that the Pentagon would be the right answer before they were revealed.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - To mimic the distinctive style of his work, what poet's name is often printed entirely in lowercase letters?

A - Allan Ginsberg
B - Langston Hughes
C - T.S. Eliot
D - E.E. Cummings

Ray says "Lifeline them if you got them." He asks for the 50/50, which leaves A and D. Ray says he's conservative by nature but he has an itchy trigger finger. He's pointing at one of them very hard and Meredith asks if he feels like pulling the trigger. He thinks it's Allan Ginsberg. Math tells him that he has a 50/50 chance, which is 50%, and that's half. Ray decides to take the money.
As Ray worked through the "math" I was reminded of a line from The Princess Bride: "Truly you have a dizzying intellect."
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MyBigFatFabulousBrain
Merry Man

#4 Post by MyBigFatFabulousBrain » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:14 am

Rayland Farlough
Kansas City, MO
Unemployed

Meredith says Rayland needs the money and is ready to celebrate with an assortment of dance moves.

Good friggin' Lord, are these people everywhere!?!?!? I don't need a Garmin® to know that KC is just a bit outside of the WABC viewing area. Why drag a WE/WE all the way from the Midwest when you can bump into ten losers like this guy just trying to cross the street in Manhattan?

Rayland says he'll "break off a little bit", saving the rest for later. He starts with something called "The Sprinkler". Meredith says that if Ray gets to $25K she wants a rainstorm.

Screw the rainstorm. If there is a God after all, there will be a damn Category 5 hurricane in that studio before Rayland can get anywhere near the 10th question. I turned on a damn trivia show and accidntally stumbled across "Dancing With the Dumbasses"....

$100 - In 2007, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame implemented a scholarship program for high school seniors planning to do what?

A - join the Army
B - study music
C - attend cooking school
D - purchase leather pants

$200 - Which of these historic persons has a surname that is synonymous with "escape artist"?

A - Annie Oakley
B - Napoleon Bonaparte
C - Harry Houdini
D - Benito Mussolini

$300 - Which of these drugstore brands sounds like the name of the body part on which it is designed to be worn?

A - Jergens
B - L'eggs
C - Band-Aid
D - ChapStick

Ray says he'd be remiss if he didn't say "B".

I'll bet you were flashing plenty of pantyhose during that damn dance of yours, Rayland. Why in the hell would you say something like that?

$500 - "Cockcrow" is an old-fashioned word that refers to what time of day?

A - dawn
B - noon
C - dusk
D - midnight

$1K - Since 1963, "To protect and to serve" has been the official motto of which of these abbreviated organizations?

A - LAPD
B - IRS
C - FCC
D - NRA

Ray says that ironically enough the answer is "A", eliciting some catcalls from the audience.

There you go, Einstein. Go into New York and thumb your nose at the police force, even if it is Darryl Gates' finest. Even I have enough class not to do something as stupid as that, at least so long as those doughnut eating bastards don't give me a parking ticket or something...

$2K - In the Winnie-the-Pooh series of stories, what character is known for losing his tail?

A - Tigger
B - Eeyore
C - Roo
D - Rabbit

Ray says they had to pin it on him because he was a donkey.

Bend over, jackass, while I pin some damn brains to your head....

A - Yosemite
B - Death Valley
C - Everglades
D - Yellowstone

What, do you not have a dance called the geyser, designed to scald and permanently burn anyone unfortunate enough to be within viewing distance while you're "breaking it off"?

ATA results
A - 13%
B - 3%
C - 1%
D - 83%

Ray says that Yellowstone and Yosemite were the two he was thinking of. The audience looks sharp so he decides to trust them.

If they were really that sharp, they would have known that a correct vote would bring us one step closer to a rainstorm and Jim Cantore sightings....

Ray bought a one-way ticket because his mother said that if he didn't do well he shouldn't bother to come home.

Your mother rocks, Ray! I'd be willing to bet by now she's already left Kansas City without leaving a clue behidn as to where she's gone. Not that you'd know what to do with a clue if you found one...

$8K - Nutritionists use the glycemic index to rank foods based on how they affect a person's what?

A - sodium intake
B - cholesterol level
C - blood sugar level
D - heart rate

Ray is 95% sure of this one, but that 5% is holding him back. He decides to go with "C" anyway.

I don't want to get into how small an area that 5% must represent in your dark, empty mind...

Meredith asks when the last time Ray got a check was. He replies, "Two weeks ago when I got my severance check."

I didn't realize the unemployment office gave out severence checks after they've finally booted you off their payroll.

Meredith asks what kind of work Ray wants. He says anything as long as it doesn't involve sales.

Cart pushers don't have to sell anything. Plus they get plenty of time to dance out in the rain...

$16K - Which of these government buildings is located not in Washington, D.C., but in nearby Arlington, Virginia?

A - The Pentagon
B - Library of Congress

Ray is almost sure about this but he decides to call Harold, a friend.

What is almost sure supposed to mean? What percentage is holding you back now, Ray? 5%? 10%? Probably 100%, because just like there's no such thing as almost pregnant, there's no such thing as almost sure...

Ray begins reading the question by saying, "Dad..."

Figures. We knew that the odds you had a friend were pretty slim, what with the dancing and panthose and all that. Your Dad's probably embarrassed now that you've blown his cover on national television...

Harold is 100% sure it's the Pentagon. Ray says that when they get home they will sit down and talk about this.

You're not going home, remember? One way tickets only work one way, and your Mom was probably dragging Harold out the door as he was trying to answer that question...

Meredith asks why Ray called Harold; it's because he knows everything government.

Yeah, like every good American is supposed to, Ray! One of these days, there are going to be a mass deporting of everyone too stupid to pass a civics test, and I sure am going to enjoy the elbow room, as will my big, fat, fabulous brain...

$25K - To mimic the distinctive style of his work, what poet's name is often printed entirely in lowercase letters?

A - Allan Ginsberg
B - Langston Hughes
C - T.S. Eliot
D - E.E. Cummings

Ray says "Lifeline them if you got them."

That's almost as unfunny as someone not knowing about e e cummings...

He asks for the 50/50, which leaves A and D. Ray says he's conservative by nature but he has an itchy trigger finger.

Try a little Blue Star cream, Ray...

He's pointing at one of them very hard and Meredith asks if he feels like pulling the trigger. He thinks it's Allan Ginsberg.

Who would have guessed our little Dancing Queen is gyrating to the wrong music yet again...

Math tells him that he has a 50/50 chance, which is 50%, and that's half.

You should write a thesis on that profound mathematical equation you just discovered! Seriously, I'll bet you could even get it published in some prestigious mathematical journal like "Highlights for Children"...

Ray decides to take the money.

I don't think we've ever been that close to Armageddon before, at least not since the last time some group of dumbasses gave Al Gore an award. Ray, if you have a special dance titled "Water Running Off Into a Sewer", I think now's the time to bust it out. But first, let me take this bottle of aspirin...

Nihil Obstat®
It's sarcasm, get over it already!

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:23 am

earendel wrote: There was something about Ray that annoyed me. I don't know how to describe it other than to say that he seemed to be affecting a pedantic speech pattern while in the Hot Seat.
Ray definitely had a certain "attitude" that the APs must have loved. Too bad he couldn't back up that attitude with action. Nihil obstat®

And I believe we've already seen "the sprinkler" from a contestant last season. :roll:

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:27 am

Yay! MBFFB has delurked! :D
MyBigFatFabulousBrain wrote:It's sarcasm, get over it already!
And our new Bored lets him put a disclaimer in every post! 8)

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:50 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:And I believe we've already seen "the sprinkler" from a contestant last season. :roll:
Yeah, but it wasn't the same dance. Ray seemed to "melt" in the seat, shrinking down and doing some sort of gyration, whereas the other one was more like a real lawn sprinkler.

Shade

#8 Post by Shade » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:48 am

When I watched this episode, I was so excited, I knew the answer to every single question! :D

NellyLunatic1980

#9 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:59 am

WHOO! It's the return on MBFFB®!

And not a moment too soon. I need the comic relief.

Shade

#10 Post by Shade » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:39 pm

Newbiew question of the day: What does MBFFB mean?

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Shade wrote:Newbiew question of the day: What does MBFFB mean?
It's an abbreviation of the handle you'll see earlier in the thread: My Big Fat Fabulous Brain. :)

Point #1: MBFFB is what we call a "Merry Man" - an extra handle used by one of our regular Bored Buddies for humorous purposes.

Point the Second: As indicated in the signature disclaimer, everything MBFFB says is meant as satire. Where this name comes from is actually a rather interesting bit of Bored History. Maybe our Bored Historian will explain it for you.

Point 3.14159: There's a distinct difference between a Merry Man, an Imp, and an Anonymous Coward. These differences are further lessons you must learn, grasshopper.

:)

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:23 pm

Shade wrote:Newbiew question of the day: What does MBFFB mean?
Marley has already explained what it means - as to its derivation, it came from our previous home - people who commented on the transcripts to show how they would have done were said to be "showing off their big fat fabulous brains." It became the moniker for one of our Bored regulars, who uses that handle to post outrageous comments about every contestant. All in good clean fun, of course! :D

15QuestionsAway

#13 Post by 15QuestionsAway » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:45 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1K - Since 1963, "To protect and to serve" has been the official motto of which of these abbreviated organizations?

A - LAPD
B - IRS
C - FCC
D - NRA
After the 1992 riots, it was suggested that the LAPD motto be changed to "We Treat You Like a King!"

Another perfect day in LA emoticon: 8)

ghostjmf

#14 Post by ghostjmf » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:00 pm

so far so good

Shade

#15 Post by Shade » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:00 am

Thanks for the explainations MarleysGh0st and earendel. There's a long story for everything, hun? :D

earendel

#16 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:25 am

Shade wrote:Thanks for the explainations MarleysGh0st and earendel. There's a long story for everything, hun? :D
Not necessarily, but some of us can make a short story long. :wink:

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:44 am

Shade wrote:Thanks for the explainations MarleysGh0st and earendel. There's a long story for everything, hun? :D
It was Bixby who first used the phrase, when she chided some of us for the way we use the transcript threads to (apparently) brag about all the answers we knew, as a way to say "look at my big fat fabulous brain!"

MBFFB first started his comments in that spirit, satirizing those who would brag like that. But it grew into satirizing everything. I tried getting beast to recount the story; he posted one piece of that in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=379

And to complete that story about greyhound_dude's post, he appeared on the show and was an occasional poster here. When he took umbrage, it started a gigantic argument, with many of us trying to patiently explain the satire in MBFFB's posts, but he'd have none of it. A few others joined in the condemnation, too.

And then greyhound_dude admitted than he wasn't offended at all, and was just pulling our leg. Ha, ha. :evil: