Transcript 10/22/2010 - Derek Ziegler

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 10/22/2010 - Derek Ziegler

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Derek Ziegler
Philadelphia, PA

Meredith introduces him as a self-proclaimed nerd. Derek clarifies that. He works for the emergency management office in Philadelphia so he's a "weather nerd". He tracks the weather. Meredith asks him what the forecast is for his appearance on the show. He says "sunny with a chance of showers of dollar bills."

Topic Tree: (unrandomized)
- Metal Names
- Phone Etiquette
- Holidays
- Path of Khan
- Classic Stories
- Husband Hobbies
- Lucky Crowd
- Screen Kiss
- Picante Places
- For The Articles

Topic Tree: (randomized)
- Husband Hobbies
- Phone Etiquette
- Holidays
- For the Articles
- Lucky Crowd
- Picante Places
- Classic Stories
- Metal Names
- Screen Kiss
- Path of Khan

Question #1 (Path of Khan)
A 131-foot tall stainless statue of Genghis Khan on horseback is located just outside the capital of what Asian country?
A - Thailand
B - Nepal
C - Mongolia
D - Malaysia

Derek believes that Genghis Khan was from
Spoiler
Mongolia
so he makes that his final answer.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Mongolia)
Value: $25,000
Bank: $25,000
Question #2 (Screen Kiss)
The obvious choice for vampire-loving tweens, what big screen couple won the "Best Kiss" award at the 2010 MTV Movie Awards?
A - Edward & Bella
B - Jake & Neytiri
C - Harry & Ginny
D - Alvin & Brittany
Derek isn't "too up on the whole vampire genre" so he thinks this would be an ideal question to ask the audience.
ATA results
A - 86%
B - 6%
C - 3%
D - 5%
That sounds right to Derek so he'll go with the audience's answer.
Spoiler
Answer: A (Edward & Bella)
Value: $15,000
Bank: $40,000
Question #3 (Metal Names)
Which of these heavy metal bands was named after the title of a Bob Dylan song?
A - Twisted Sister
B - Judas Priest
C - Black Sabbath
D - Quiet Riot
Derek feels that he should know it because he's fairly familiar with Bob Dylan, but he's not sure, so he decides to Jump the Question.
Spoiler
Answer: B (Judas Priest)
Value: $500
Bank: $40,000 (no change)
Question #4 (Classic Stories)
Which of these timeless stories came from an 1822 poem written by literature professor Clement Moore?
A - 'Twas the Night Before Christmas
B - Beauty and the Beast
C - Jack and the Beanstalk
D - The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
Spoiler
Answer: A ('Twas the Night Before Christmas)
Meredith makes Derek wait until after the commercial break to see the value of this question.

commercial break
Spoiler
Value: $10,000
Bank: $50,000
Question #5 (Picante Places)
When "Old" is placed before it, the name of what Texas city forms a popular brand of Mexican food?
A - El Paso
B - Amarillo
C - Lubbock
D - San Antonio

Derek has eaten a lot of their stuff in his day.
Spoiler
Answer: A (El Paso)
Value: $1,000
Bank: $51,000
Question #6 (Lucky Crowd)
To kick off her show's final season, Oprah Winfrey and guest John Travolta awarded her studio audience a vacation where?
A - France
B - Brazil
C - Australia
D - Thailand

Meredith attempts to imitate Oprah's vocal excitement when reading the answers. Derek has never met her so he doesn't know. He says this would be an ideal question to ask the audience if he hadn't already used that lifeline. He should have brushed up on his vampire movies before coming on the show. He's going to have to Jump the Question. Meredith gets the audience to give the answer and notes that Travolta is going to fly the plane.
Spoiler
Answer: C (Australia)
Value: $7,000
Bank: $51,000 (no change)
Question #7 (For the Articles)
The June 2010 issue of "Playboy" included special eyeglasses so readers could enjoy what technological addition to the centerfold?
A - X-ray vision
B - embedded lights
C - encoded messages
D - 3D images

After reading the question Meredith laughingly says, "Oh, let's say hi to your wife." Derek looks back and waves. Meredith says Derek must have a friend who reads this. Derek agrees, then says, "I'm not familiar with this issue." The audience laughs and the camera switches to Derek's wife, who grins and and nods her head. Derek notes that
Spoiler
since "Playboy" leaves nothing to the imagination there's no need for X-ray vision and embedded lights doesn't make sense, and as for encoded messages, people aren't looking at "Playboy" for subtleties
Spoiler
Answer: D (3D images)
Value: $3,000
Bank: $54,000
Question #8 (Holidays)
Since 2005, Washington, D.C. residents have observed a legal holiday every April 16th named what?
A - Emancipation Day
B - Union Day
C - Constitution Day
D - Capitol Day

Derek thinks it could be
Spoiler
Union Day or Constitution Day
. He doesn't think it's
Spoiler
Emancipation Day
. He's just not sure enough to decide between two answers so he decides to walk away.
Spoiler
Answer: A (Emancipation Day)
Value: $
Bank: $
Derek leaves with $27,000.

commercial break

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 10/22/2010 - Derek Ziegler

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:25 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Derek Ziegler
Philadelphia, PA

Meredith introduces him as a self-proclaimed nerd. Derek clarifies that. He works for the emergency management office in Philadelphia so he's a "weather nerd". He tracks the weather. Meredith asks him what the forecast is for his appearance on the show. He says "sunny with a chance of showers of dollar bills."
I'm still waiting for Meredith to introduce a real nerd someday, i.e., one that doesn't have a big TV personality, etc.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:44 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Philadelphia, PA

I'm still waiting for Meredith to introduce a real nerd someday, i.e., one that doesn't have a big TV personality, etc.
Remember I was on in 2006?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#4 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:55 am

Bob Juch wrote:Remember I was on in 2006?
How could I forget? :|

But, aside from the unique method by which you qualified, was the word "nerd" ever used in the chit-chat between you and Meredith? My point was that Meredith frequently uses the term, but never for someone who fits the stereotype!

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:04 am

Philadelphia, PA

Cute comeback, Derek.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Question #3 (Metal Names)
Which of these heavy metal bands was named after the title of a Bob Dylan song?
A - Twisted Sister
B - Judas Priest
C - Black Sabbath
D - Quiet Riot
Derek feels that he should know it because he's fairly familiar with Bob Dylan, but he's not sure, so he decides to Jump the Question.
Spoiler
Answer: B (Judas Priest)
Value: $500
Bank: $40,000 (no change)
Time for a lifeline. I'll ATA and hope to get a good audience split.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."