Transcript 06/16/10 - Cristina Lamiero (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/16/10 - Cristina Lamiero (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Cristina Lamiero
Hoboken, NJ
HR Program Manager

Cristina's dad has been supportive, but he's been a "little weird." He's a trivia buff, so leading up to the show their traditional Monday evening dinner has become "Monday night quiz hour" as he buffets her with questions.

Today's expert is Margaret Cho.

Topic Tree
World Records
Famous Paintings
Cuba
U.S. Presidents
Conspiracies
National Flags
Anniversaries
CELEBRITY Q
Rock Bands
Easy Money
Namesakes
Supermodels
For a Good Cause
Business Travel
Road Rules

$10,000 - Rock Bands
In 2009, what rock band was sued over claims that its long-awaited album "Chinese Democracy" included illegal samples?
A. Metallica B. Poison
C. Mötley Crüe D. Guns N' Roses

With 22 seconds remaining, Cristina decides to Ask the Audience.
ATA numbers
A: 15% B: 6% C: 13% D: 66%
Cristina decides to answer
Spoiler
D
Spoiler
D: Guns N' Roses (18)
$12,500 - CELEBRITY Q (read by Elizabeth Vargas)
In 2009, what U.S. senator declared himself a Democrat after serving twenty-nine years as a Republican?
A. Arlen Specter B. Richart Lugar
C. Lamar Alexander D. Orrin Hatch
Spoiler
A: Arlen Specter (19)
$15,000 - Anniversaries
What country declared 2009 a year of "Homecoming" to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the birth of its beloved poet, Robert Burns?
A. Ireland B. Scotland
C. New Zealand D. South Africa

With 20 seconds remaining, Cristina decides to Ask the Expert. ("A lot of these look plausible...")
Expert Discussion
Margaret rules out C and D. She offers "real certainty" that it's Ireland. Cristina asks for reinforcement that it's not C or D. Margaret confirms this, and repeats that she's "99% certain" that it's Ireland.
With 15 seconds remaining, Cristina decides to Double Dip.
First answer is
Spoiler
A
, and is incorrect.
Second answer is
Spoiler
B
, and is correct.
Spoiler
B. Scotland (11)
-- Commercial Break --

$25,000 - National Flags
Said to have been Muhammad's favorite, what color dominates the official flag of Saudi Arabia?
A. Red B. Black
C. Yellow D. Green

In spite of the fact that she "has a guess", Cristina decides to walk.
Cristina says her guess would've been D.
Spoiler
D: Green ()
Cristina leaves with $15,000

Edited to fix the DD choices and the correct answer on the $15,000 question.
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

doitneatly

Re: Transcript 06/16/10 - Cristina Lamiero (carry

#2 Post by doitneatly » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:05 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15,000 - Anniversaries
What country declared 2009 a year of "Homecoming" to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the birth of its beloved poet, Robert Burns?
A. Ireland B. Scotland

With 20 seconds remaining, Cristina decides to Ask the Expert. ("A lot of these look plausible...")
Expert Discussion
Margaret rules out C and D. She offers "real certainty" that it's Ireland. Cristina asks for reinforcement that it's not C or D. Margaret confirms this, and repeats that she's "99% certain" that it's Ireland.
First answer is
Spoiler
B
, and is incorrect.
Second answer is
Spoiler
A
, and is correct.
Spoiler
A:Ireland (11)
Although the expert had a good day today, I fault Margaret for deciding to end with a joke. ("poets like to drink and so do the Irish" but then as the camera fades she adds "...but so do the scotch!!")

That said, it seemed like Cristina had her own bias toward Scotland as the answer, so maybe that joke isn't why she decided to Double Dip instead of trusting Ms. Cho.
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

TheConfessor

#3 Post by TheConfessor » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:35 pm

doitneatly wrote:Although the expert had a good day today, I fault Margaret for deciding to end with a joke.
It's pretty sad when an "expert" who got 1 right and 1 wrong on mid-range questions is considered to have had a "good day." There is a 43.75% probability of doing that well or better, just by random chance.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#4 Post by ulysses5019 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:30 am

doitneatly wrote:
A. Ireland B. Scotland

Expert Discussion
First answer is
Spoiler
B
, and is incorrect.
Second answer is
Spoiler
A
, and is correct.
Spoiler
Although the expert had a good day today, I fault Margaret for deciding to end with a joke. ("poets like to drink and so do the Irish" but then as the camera fades she adds "...but so do the scotch!!")

That said, it seemed like Cristina had her own bias toward Scotland as the answer, so maybe that joke isn't why she decided to Double Dip instead of trusting Ms. Cho.

I thought Burns was from Scotland.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

TheConfessor

#5 Post by TheConfessor » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:37 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
doitneatly wrote:
A. Ireland B. Scotland

Expert Discussion
First answer is
Spoiler
B
, and is incorrect.
Second answer is
Spoiler
A
, and is correct.
Spoiler

Me too. I think the show got it right and the transcript got it backwards.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:19 am

TheConfessor wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
doitneatly wrote:

You're correct. I've fixed it.

Not only was Margaret "99%" sure of the incorrect answer and does she offer a joke answer as her only justification, she realizes how her "logic" might be incorrect too late to amend her answer. But I'm sure Meredith will mentally edit her record to say that "Margaret knew it was one of those two!"

Pastor Fireball

Re: Transcript 06/16/10 - Cristina Lamiero (carryover)

#7 Post by Pastor Fireball » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:14 am

A. Ireland B. Scotland

Expert Discussion
I think Margaret did a good job at painting with a really broad brush in regards to her comments on the Irish, poets, and drinking. I think she would've been better off if she had reiterated that she knows nothing about white people. But this does remind me of that famous movie line: "Everyone who drinks is not a poet. Maybe some of us drink because we're not poets."

Don't worry, Margaret. Meredith will forget everything by Friday and tell you how fabulous you were this week.

Nihil obstat®
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

doitneatly

#8 Post by doitneatly » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:30 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:

Yikes, my worst transcription mistake ever, by a mile! It certainly won't happen again.

Thank you for fixing it Marley.
"When you don't know what you're doing, do it neatly."

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:38 am

doitneatly wrote:
MarleysGh0st wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: Me too. I think the show got it right and the transcript got it backwards.

Yikes, my worst transcription mistake ever, by a mile! It certainly won't happen again.

Thank you for fixing it Marley.
No problem. That's what teammates are for.

You just thought that Margaret was right, for a change, and got carried away by the excitement! :P

Thousandaire

#10 Post by Thousandaire » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:33 am

doitneatly wrote:
A. Ireland B. Scotland

Expert Discussion
First answer is
Spoiler
B
, and is incorrect.
Second answer is
Spoiler
A
, and is correct.
Spoiler

Scottish, not Scotch. Scotch is a whiskey.

themanwho

#11 Post by themanwho » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:33 am

Thousandaire wrote:Scottish, not Scotch. Scotch is a whiskey.
Scottish and Scotch are synonyms, both meaning "of, or pertaining to, Scotland." Scotch is also an alcoholic beverage.

-M
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

Thousandaire

#12 Post by Thousandaire » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:30 am

themanwho wrote:
Thousandaire wrote:Scottish, not Scotch. Scotch is a whiskey.
Scottish and Scotch are synonyms, both meaning "of, or pertaining to, Scotland." Scotch is also an alcoholic beverage.

-M
Obviously you're not a Scot.

Kazoo65

#13 Post by Kazoo65 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Easy stack for me-my brother is a Guns 'N Roses fan, I've been to Scotland (and learned about Robert Burns while there) and remembered from J! that green is prevalent on flags of Muslim countries.
I'm just a game show nerd.

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Cristina Lamiero
Hoboken, NJ
HR Program Manager

Cristina's dad has been supportive, but he's been a "little weird." He's a trivia buff, so leading up to the show their traditional Monday evening dinner has become "Monday night quiz hour" as he buffets her with questions.
And if they were at Golden Corral or some other such restaurant, he could buffet her at the buffet.

OK, I'll definitely be glad when this "expert" is gone.

Nihil obstat®.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."