Transcript 05/28/10 - John Gaither

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/28/10 - John Gaither

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat May 29, 2010 10:53 pm

John Gaither
Voorhees, NJ
Funeral director

Today’s ATE is the anchor of “Good Morning, America: Weekend Edition,” Bill Weir.

Topic Tree:

Genetics
The Supreme Court
Billy Crystal
The New Republic
The Good King
Parrots
TV Doctors
Classic Novels
The NFL
CELEBRITY Q
Food, Inc.
Gotta Have Faith
Happy Birthday!
The Natural World
Big Decisions

John wants to open up his own business, a pet funeral home.

Meredith: "Do you love animals?"

John: "I love them to death."

It will be called All Paws Go to Heaven Pet Life Celebration Center.

$500 - Customers are often asked "Cup or cone?" at which of these business establishments?
A. Steakhouse
B. Ice cream parlor
C. Lemonade stand
D. Victoria's Secret
Spoiler
B. Ice cream parlor (8)
$1000 - The peacock butterfly gets its name because it is remarkably what?
A. Fat
B. Venomous
C. Colorful
D. Hairy
Spoiler
C. Colorful (10)
$2000 - President Reagan proclaimed February 11, 1983, "National Inventors' Day," which is fittingly what great American's birthday?
A. Helen Keller
B. Thomas Edison
C. Louis Armstrong
D. Babe Ruth
Spoiler
B. Thomas Edison (9)
$3000 - Because they tremble and dance during worship, members of the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing are called what?
A. Amish
B. Christian Scientist
C. Mennonites
D. Shakers
Spoiler
D. Shakers (9)
$5000 - By capitalizing the first three letters in its name, the supermarket brand E.L. Fudge gives away that it is part of what bigger company?
A. Pillsbury
B. Frito-Lay
C. Keebler
D. Nestle
Spoiler
C. Keebler (2)
Today's celebrity is Danny Aiello.

$7500 - In the music video for the hit song "Papa Don't Preach," I played the "papa" of what pop star?
A. Madonna
B. Cyndi Lauper
C. Debbie Gibson
D. Paula Abdul
Spoiler
A. Madonna (20)
$10,000 - What NFL's team was chose to honor its large number of fans with Scandinavian ancestors
A. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
B. Minnesota Vikings
C. Green Bay Packers
D. Tennessee Titans
Spoiler
B. Minnesota Vikings (22)
-- commercial break --

$12,500 - What U.S. author titled one of his novels after a line in "Macbeth" that reads, "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury"?
A. Ernest Hemingway
B. John Steinbeck
C. William Faulkner
D. F. Scott Fitzgerald

ATA (22)
Spoiler
A. 21%
B. 21%
C. 46%
D. 12%

Spoiler
C. William Faulkner (10)
$15,000 - In 2007, what "Grey's Anatomy" character "spunoff" from the show to join a medical group run by her friend in Los Angeles?
A. Addison Montgomery
B. Izzie Stevens
C. Cristina Yang
D. Miranda Bailey

DD (21)

First choice is
Spoiler
A

Spoiler
A. Addison Montgomery (21)
$25,000 - The word "zygodactylous" is commonly used to describe what unique trait of the hyacinth macaw?
A. Its eyes
B. Its beak
C. Its feet
D. Its tail

ATE (16)

Bill thinks that's a 25-cent word. He wants to try to break it down to its Latin roots. John is leaning toward its eyes, but he really couldn't say why. Bill thinks a question about a macaw might lean toward the beak. That's his hunch but that's the best he can do.

Spoiler
John answers B. Its beak. The correct answer is C. Its feet (16)
Spoiler
Zygodactylous means it has two toes pointing forward and two toes pointing backwards.
-- commercial break --

Answers:

$500: B. Ice cream parlor
$1000: C. Colorful
$2000: B. Thomas Edison
$3000: D. Shakers
$5000: C. Keebler
$7500: A. Madonna
$10,000: B. Minnesota Vikings
$12,500: C. William Faulkner
$15,000: A. Addison Montgomery
$25,000: C. Its feet

etaoin22
FNGD Forum Moderator

Re: Transcript 05/28/10 - John Gaither

#2 Post by etaoin22 » Mon May 31, 2010 1:24 am

Bill would have done better with that word breaking it down into its Greek roots....

ten96lt

#3 Post by ten96lt » Mon May 31, 2010 2:47 am

How come for me it seems all of the really intriguing categories are on the high $$$ level? I'm really curious what the Billy Crystal question is that would make it worth $250K.

chad1m

#4 Post by chad1m » Mon May 31, 2010 3:10 am

ten96lt wrote:How come for me it seems all of the really intriguing categories are on the high $$$ level? I'm really curious what the Billy Crystal question is that would make it worth $250K.
I'd like to see the $500,000 CBS question. Also, twice "Game Shows" has popped up in the $25,000 spot and, both times, the contestant has stopped before there. Over the past two seasons, it's became an intriguing yet aggravating aspect. :twisted:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014Z7QO26/ref ... 6vb11BJ6JV
Get on a Game Show!, my e-book guide now available on Amazon!

ten96lt

#5 Post by ten96lt » Mon May 31, 2010 3:18 am

chad1m wrote:
ten96lt wrote:How come for me it seems all of the really intriguing categories are on the high $$$ level? I'm really curious what the Billy Crystal question is that would make it worth $250K.
I'd like to see the $500,000 CBS question. Also, twice "Game Shows" has popped up in the $25,000 spot and, both times, the contestant has stopped before there. Over the past two seasons, it's became an intriguing yet aggravating aspect. :twisted:
It would be interesting if Billy Crystal's question was also a game show question. This would be mine even though I might get egged for this question being too cheesy.
$250,000-Billy Crystal
Known for being a famous game show moment, in what version of the game show "Pyramid" did Billy Crystal set the record for the fastest completion of the Winners Circle bonus round?
A: $10,000 Pyramid B: $20,000 Pyramid
C: $25,000 Pyramid D: $100,000 Pyramid

themanintheseersuckersuit

#6 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Mon May 31, 2010 7:37 am

If I called you a pentadactyl quadruped would it hurt your feelings.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#7 Post by AnnieCamaro » Mon May 31, 2010 7:55 am

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:If I called you a pentadactyl quadruped would it hurt your feelings.
It wouldn't hurt my feelings.

/ :P \
Sou iu koto de.

Pastor Fireball

#8 Post by Pastor Fireball » Mon May 31, 2010 10:06 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:John Gaither
Voorhees, NJ
Funeral director
Not Where Else®. That's the Philly area.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1000 - The peacock butterfly gets its name because it is remarkably what?
A. Fat
B. Venomous
C. Colorful
D. Hairy
E. Biteable... wait, wrong peacock. :P
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15,000 - In 2007, what "Grey's Anatomy" character "spunoff" from the show to join a medical group run by her friend in Los Angeles?
A. Addison Montgomery
B. Izzie Stevens
C. Cristina Yang
D. Miranda Bailey
I would've also Double Dipped. My choices were A and D.
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

takinover

#9 Post by takinover » Mon May 31, 2010 1:53 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25,000 - The word "zygodactylous" is commonly used to describe what unique trait of the hyacinth macaw?
A. Its eyes
B. Its beak
C. Its feet
D. Its tail
This would have been an easy Google-A-Friend. Probably one of the reason why they got rid of it.

TheConfessor

#10 Post by TheConfessor » Mon May 31, 2010 2:13 pm

takinover wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25,000 - The word "zygodactylous" is commonly used to describe what unique trait of the hyacinth macaw?
A. Its eyes
B. Its beak
C. Its feet
D. Its tail
This would have been an easy Google-A-Friend. Probably one of the reason why they got rid of it.
The hyacinth macaw is hardly "unique" as a zygodactyl. This site classifies over a thousand different species of zygodactylous birds:
http://www.ummz.umich.edu/birds/resourc ... s_otw.html

takinover

#11 Post by takinover » Mon May 31, 2010 2:26 pm

TheConfessor wrote: The hyacinth macaw is hardly "unique" as a zygodactyl. This site classifies over a thousand different species of zygodactylous birds:
Who cares about the hyacinth macaw, all a contestant would need to do is have someone look up the word "zygodactylous".

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#12 Post by AnnieCamaro » Mon May 31, 2010 2:30 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
takinover wrote:
A. Its eyes
B. Its beak
C. Its feet
D. Its tail
The hyacinth macaw is hardly "unique" as a zygodactyl. This site classifies over a thousand different species of zygodactylous birds:
I think we had a discussion on the bored about this topic during some previous Talk Like a Pirate Day. As I vaguely recall, somebody mentioned parrots and their tracks.
Sou iu koto de.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 31, 2010 6:50 pm

takinover wrote:
TheConfessor wrote: The hyacinth macaw is hardly "unique" as a zygodactyl. This site classifies over a thousand different species of zygodactylous birds:
Who cares about the hyacinth macaw, all a contestant would need to do is have someone look up the word "zygodactylous".
Someone?

Like the expert, perhaps?

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:28 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: John Gaither
Voorhees, NJ
Funeral director

Today’s ATE is the anchor of “Good Morning, America: Weekend Edition,” Bill Weir.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:John wants to open up his own business, a pet funeral home.

Meredith: "Do you love animals?"

John: "I love them to death."

It will be called All Paws Go to Heaven Pet Life Celebration Center.
Cute joke, interesting business idea.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15,000 - In 2007, what "Grey's Anatomy" character "spunoff" from the show to join a medical group run by her friend in Los Angeles?
A. Addison Montgomery
B. Izzie Stevens
C. Cristina Yang
D. Miranda Bailey

DD (21)

First choice is
Spoiler
A
Spoiler
A. Addison Montgomery (21)
I don't watch either of these shows, so it's time to ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 - The word "zygodactylous" is commonly used to describe what unique trait of the hyacinth macaw?
A. Its eyes
B. Its beak
C. Its feet
D. Its tail

ATE (16)

Bill thinks that's a 25-cent word. He wants to try to break it down to its Latin roots. John is leaning toward its eyes, but he really couldn't say why. Bill thinks a question about a macaw might lean toward the beak. That's his hunch but that's the best he can do.
Spoiler
John answers B. Its beak. The correct answer is C. Its feet (16)
Spoiler
Zygodactylous means it has two toes pointing forward and two toes pointing backwards.
Well, John, those Latin roots can be misleading. :mrgreen:
I know that "pterodactyl" means "wing finger", and the nearest thing on the list is "feet" so I'll go with that.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

hanzz

#15 Post by hanzz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:35 pm

chad1m wrote:
Likewise, there was a time when I would periodically see "Harry Potter" or "Lost" pop up in the upper ranges of the category tree, and I am still just itching to know what kinds of questions those would have been.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

andrewjackson

#16 Post by andrewjackson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:38 pm

zygodactylous
Spoiler
Hmmm. -dactyl should be fairly recognizable as finger. Zygo- is from Greek for "yoke". That meaning can be used for combined or as in this case, paired up.

I had a zygo- question on the show but knowing that didn't help me figure out the answer.
No matter where you go, there you are.

hanzz

#17 Post by hanzz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:52 pm

So I couldn't figure out why this contestant's name was ringing a bell when I first posted in this thread. Now I just realized...this guy was the first winner of the Weakest Link (the primetime version)! I loved this show. Anyway, totally random, and I wish I could find a video but alas, that's a no, but there's your game show connection of the day.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

MarleysGh0st

#18 Post by MarleysGh0st » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:26 am

hanzz wrote:So I couldn't figure out why this contestant's name was ringing a bell when I first posted in this thread. Now I just realized...this guy was the first winner of the Weakest Link (the primetime version)! I loved this show. Anyway, totally random, and I wish I could find a video but alas, that's a no, but there's your game show connection of the day.
And there's my <grumble>® of the day.

Well, my first <grumble>® of the day. :wink: