Transcript 05/20/10 - Steve Kirschner

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/20/10 - Steve Kirschner

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu May 20, 2010 6:23 pm

Steve Kirschner
Gainesville, FL
Criminal law attorney

Steve is "Mr. Forgetful." He's been interested in trivia for so many years he thinks the trivia has crowded out all the useful knowledge he had.

Steve: For instance, if you asked me where my keys were, right now, I could point to the moon, but no closer than that.

Question Topics:
* Big Breakthroughs
* Playwrights
* Up in the Sky
* Mythology
* Common Maladies
* Heads of State
* Tres Bien!
* U.S. Cities
* Mangia Italiano
* Rockumentaries
* Harry Potter
* Go the Distance
* Classic Cars
* Historic Poetry
* Cable TV

$500 * Cable TV
Launched in 1979, the ESPN cable network bills itself as the "Worldwide Leader in" what?

A: News B: Sports
C: Drama D: Meathead Banter
Answer
B: Sports ( 9 )
$1,000 * Historic Poetry
The Henry Wadsworth Longfellow poem "Paul Revere's Ride" recounts the famous patriot's ride atop a what?

A: Bison B: Mountain lion
C: Horse D: Camel
Answer
C: Horse ( 10 )
$2,000 * Classic Cars
Often spotted on classic cars, "whitewalls" are a distinctive style of what?

A: Bumpers B: Windshields
C: Rearview mirrors D: Tires
Answer
D: Tires ( 10 )
$3,000 * Go the Distance
Entertainers Dane Cook and Dave Chappelle have each set endurance records for continuously doing what?

A: Singing songs B: Doing magic tricks
C: Dancing D: Performing stand-up comedy
Answer
D: Performing stand-up comedy ( 9 )
$5,000 * Harry Potter
In the Harry Potter novels, a wizard casts the "incendio" spell in order to produce what?

A: A ladder B: Fire
C: Water D: A strong wind
Answer
B: Fire ( 10 )
-- Commercial Break --

You're In the Hot Seat Home Game
Today's Winning Answer
Spoiler
A: Surf City
Sneak Peak at One of the Next Episode's Questions
$10,000
According to a quote often attributed to Harry Truman, what should you do "if you want a friend in Washington"?

A: Fly a flag B: Get a dog
C: Open a bank D: Bake a cake
$7,500 * Rockumentaries
The 2009 rock documentary "It Might Get Loud" profiles Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White -- three famous what?

A: Drummers B: Violinists
C: Saxophonists D: Guitarists
Answer
D: Guitarists ( 25 )
$10,000 * Mangia Italiano
Often used in dessert mascarpone is an Italian variety of what?

A: Cheese B: Berry
C: Bread D: Nut
Answer
A: Cheese ( 26 )
$12,500 * U.S. Cities
What U.S. city was officially incorporated in 1802 and had its first mayor appointed by President Thomas Jefferson?

A: Boston B: Washington D.C.
C: Chicago D: Atlanta

With 22 seconds left, Steve decides to Ask The Audience.
ATA
A: 34% B: 40% C: 16% D: 10%
With 20 seconds left, Steve decides to Double Dip.

Steve's first answer is
Spoiler
B: Washington D.C.
Answer
B: Washington D.C. ( 20 )
Steve will return on tomorrow's show.

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 05/20/10 - Steve Kirschner

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:34 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$12,500 * U.S. Cities
What U.S. city was officially incorporated in 1802 and had its first mayor appointed by President Thomas Jefferson?

ATA
Are you kidding me? 34% of the audience actually thought that Boston has existed as a city for only 200 years?

Nihil obstat®

Kazoo65

#3 Post by Kazoo65 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:36 pm

I'd ask the audience on $10K. They seem to be good with food questions.

$12.5K-He needed both the audience AND Double Dip to figure this out? I guess he doesn't know too much about U.S. history.
I'm just a game show nerd.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Fri May 21, 2010 4:09 am

Kazoo65 wrote:I'd ask the audience on $10K. They seem to be good with food questions.

$12.5K-He needed both the audience AND Double Dip to figure this out? I guess he doesn't know too much about U.S. history.
He knows about as much about U.S. History as you know about cheese...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 21, 2010 5:32 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

ATA
Are you kidding me? 34% of the audience actually thought that Boston has existed as a city for only 200 years?
Amazing, isn't it? Probably just a side effect of that Yankees-Red Sox feud. Trash-talking your opponents all the way back to their historical roots.

And 16% went for Chicago, for which 1802 seems much too early for city status. That year might be in the right ballpark for Atlanta, if you ignore the part of the clue about why a president would be appointing its first mayor...

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 21, 2010 6:23 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Steve Kirschner
Gainesville, FL
Criminal law attorney

Steve is "Mr. Forgetful." He's been interested in trivia for so many years he thinks the trivia has crowded out all the useful knowledge he had.

Steve: For instance, if you asked me where my keys were, right now, I could point to the moon, but no closer than that.
Don't the APs take keys, wallets, cell phones, etc. from contestants and store them in a locker during the taping day?

MarleysGh0st

#7 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 21, 2010 6:38 am

Steve's first appearance and a promo for his carryover gets a brief report here.

http://www.gainesville.com/article/2010 ... llionaire-

Nothing we don't know from the transcripts.

rgcviper

Reply to: Steve Kirschner

#8 Post by rgcviper » Fri May 21, 2010 8:00 am

Steve, I'm pullin' for ya since you're from my city of birth--Gainesville, Florida. Best of luck ...

tanstaafl2

#9 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri May 21, 2010 12:50 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:

ATA
Amazing, isn't it? Probably just a side effect of that Yankees-Red Sox feud. Trash-talking your opponents all the way back to their historical roots.

And 16% went for Chicago, for which 1802 seems much too early for city status. That year might be in the right ballpark for Atlanta, if you ignore the part of the clue about why a president would be appointing its first mayor...
White settlers hadn't even stolen the land that would become Atlanta from the Creek and Cherokee tribes until 1822. It traces its history back to a tiny settlement at the end of the railroad in 1837 aptly named Terminus.

Chicago is a little closer but was little more than a trading post at that time.

I suppose there once was a time when it would surprise me that anyone could not know the answer to this as it was written. That was a very long time ago though....
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 21, 2010 12:57 pm

tanstaafl2 wrote:White settlers hadn't even stolen the land that would become Atlanta from the Creek and Cherokee tribes until 1822. It traces its history back to a tiny settlement at the end of the railroad in 1837 aptly named Terminus.
1837, huh? That was quite a rapid boom, then, to become the target of Sherman's wrath by 1864.

tanstaafl2

#11 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri May 21, 2010 1:14 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:White settlers hadn't even stolen the land that would become Atlanta from the Creek and Cherokee tribes until 1822. It traces its history back to a tiny settlement at the end of the railroad in 1837 aptly named Terminus.
1837, huh? That was quite a rapid boom, then, to become the target of Sherman's wrath by 1864.
There were some settlers in the area before that time and a small fort called Fort Peachtree (yes EVERYTHING here is called peachtree) was built in about 1814. But there wasn't really a settlement to speak of here until the early 1830's when White Hall Tavern was built. And it wasn't until it was decided the path of the first railway went through here in 1837 that a town of sorts came into being. By the start of war nearly 25 years later the town had a population of more than 10000 and was a cross roads of several major rail lines.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 21, 2010 1:19 pm

Hey, tanstaafl, are you logging in from the airport? I see from your signature line that
Today is we go to San Diego
8)

earendel

#13 Post by earendel » Mon May 24, 2010 7:07 am

Gainesville, FL
Criminal law attorney

Sounds like he has the same idea as Sherlock Holmes, who, in the first story, opined that he had only so much room in his brain and he saw no need to clutter it with information such as whether the earth revolved around the sun or vice versa.

Nihil obstat®.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Mon May 24, 2010 7:08 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Gainesville, FL
Criminal law attorney

Don't the APs take keys, wallets, cell phones, etc. from contestants and store them in a locker during the taping day?
Back in the day they did.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Jeemie

#15 Post by Jeemie » Mon May 24, 2010 7:12 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
Gainesville, FL
Criminal law attorney

But his head's so full of trivia knowledge, he forgot they did that.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Jeemie

#16 Post by Jeemie » Mon May 24, 2010 7:13 am

Estonut wrote:
Kazoo65 wrote:I'd ask the audience on $10K. They seem to be good with food questions.

He knows about as much about U.S. History as you know about cheese...
...and math.
1979 City of Champions 2009