Transcript 05/20/10 - Mike Salamon (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/20/10 - Mike Salamon (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu May 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Mike Salamon
Elmhurst, NY

Mike has promised to get a tattoo of a Million dollar with with Meredith's face on it if he wins the million dollars. Mike says he has a "special spot" for it; when Meredith presses him for a location, he says it will be on his back. Mike also wants to open a restaurant; he needs the million so it can always be open bar night.

Mike's wife, Jennifer, is in the audience.

Question Topics:
* World Records
* Shakespeare
* U.S. History
* Camp David
* The Minimum Wage
* Famous Frauds
* Popular Music
* (CELEBRITY Q)
* (Oh, Baby!)
* (Fly Europe)
* (On Broadway)
* (Get Together)
* (Slogans)
* (Reality TV)
* (Room Service)

$15,000 * Popular Music
Now wildly popular in the U.S., the hip-hop-infused music known as "reggaeton" originated in what part of the world?

A: Eastern Europe B: Latin America
C: Sub-Saharan Africa D: Southeast Asia
Answer
B: Latin America ( 20 )
$25,000 * Famous Frauds
In 1920, notorious con man Charles Ponzi duped thousands of investors in a fraudulent scheme involving what?

A: Postage stamps B: Real estate
C: Gemstones D: Rare coins

With 11 seconds left, Mike decides to Double Dip.

Mike's first answer is
Spoiler
B: Real estate
Mike's second answer is
Spoiler
D: Rare coins

Mike falls to $5,000.
Answer
A: Postage stamps ( 6 )

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 05/20/10 - Mike Salamon (carryover)

#2 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:26 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * Famous Frauds
In 1920, notorious con man Charles Ponzi duped thousands of investors in a fraudulent scheme involving what?

I had it between stamps and coins, so I'll DD.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 21, 2010 7:16 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25,000 * Famous Frauds

Mike's first answer is
Spoiler
Mike's second answer is
Spoiler

Mike falls to $5,000.
Answer
A: Postage stamps ( 6 )
I vaguely remembered something about this. The key to the scheme didn't involve postage stamps, per se, but International Reply Coupons.

Wikipedia desrcribes the basics (following a discussion of an earlier advertising business Ponzi had tried):
A few weeks later, Ponzi received a letter in the mail from a company in Spain asking about the catalog. Inside the envelope was an International reply coupon (IRC), something which he had never seen before. He asked about it and found a weakness in the system which would, in theory, allow him to make money.

The purpose of the postal reply coupon was to allow someone in one country to send it to a correspondent in another country, who could use it to pay the postage of a reply. IRCs were priced at the cost of postage in the country of purchase, but could be exchanged for stamps to cover the cost of postage in the country where redeemed; if these values were different, there was a potential profit. Inflation after World War I had greatly decreased the cost of postage in Italy expressed in U.S. dollars, so that an IRC could be bought cheaply in Italy and exchanged for U.S. stamps of higher value, which could then be sold. Ponzi claimed that the net profit on these transactions, after expenses and exchange rates, was in excess of 400%. This was a form of arbitrage, or profiting by buying an asset at a lower price in one market and immediately selling it in a market where the price is higher, which is not illegal.

smilergrogan

#4 Post by smilergrogan » Fri May 21, 2010 11:08 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:I vaguely remembered something about this. The key to the scheme didn't involve postage stamps, per se, but International Reply Coupons.
Maybe you remembered it from the GroganGame before last!

130. His road to eponymic infamy began when a Spanish company sent him a request for a catalog, including an international reply coupon purchased cheaply in Spain but redeemable for more expensive U.S. postage

themanwho

#5 Post by themanwho » Fri May 21, 2010 12:40 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$15,000 * Popular Music
Now wildly popular in the U.S., the hip-hop-infused music known as "reggaeton" originated in what part of the world?

Answer
I couldn't have told you this one until about 5 minutes ago when they were talking about it on Never Not Funny. Synchronicity!

-M
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 21, 2010 12:45 pm

themanwho wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$15,000 * Popular Music

Answer
I couldn't have told you this one until about 5 minutes ago when they were talking about it on Never Not Funny. Synchronicity!

-M
Too bad your synchronicity would have been six months late for Mike's taping date. :P

I would have connected "reggae" with Jamaica (and my cousin BobMarleysGh0st) and then (not knowing the rest of the story) would have answered B while trying to protest that Jamaica was a former British colony and thus not properly "Latin America". :oops:

earendel

#7 Post by earendel » Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Mike Salamon
Elmhurst, NY

Mike has promised to get a tattoo of a Million dollar with with Meredith's face on it if he wins the million dollars. Mike says he has a "special spot" for it; when Meredith presses him for a location, he says it will be on his back. Mike also wants to open a restaurant; he needs the million so it can always be open bar night.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15,000 * Popular Music

Answer
I would have expected "the Caribbean" as an answer; when it didn't appear I would go with "Latin America".
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * Famous Frauds

Mike's first answer is
Spoiler
Mike's second answer is
Spoiler
My only remaining lifeline would have been DD and I don't think I would have risked it. Had I done so my first choice would have been "real estate" also. My second thought was "gemstones". This would have been a nightmare stack for me.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."