Transcript 05/06/10 - John Buschiazzo (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 05/06/10 - John Buschiazzo (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu May 06, 2010 7:12 pm

John Buschiazzo
Mount Joy, PA

John's nine-year-old daughter, Gracie, thinks he's the smartest man she knows. If he wins the $1 million, he's promised her $15 and a puppy. Gracie's little sister, Emma, has been promised $15, too.

Question Topics:
* Seeing Double
* The Sixties
* On the Beach
* Birds
* Cleveland Rocks
* School Ties
* Tourist Attractions
* (Entertainment News)
* (Just a Hobby)
* (Advertising)
* (That's Irrational)
* (Terms of Affection)
* (Video Games)
* (On the TV)
* (Heavy Metal)

John still has all of his lifelines, including Ask The Expert. Today's expert
is CNN anchor Campbell Brown.

$15,000 * Tourist Attractions
Which of these tourist attractions is not profiled in the 2003 bestseller "1,000 Places to See Before You Die"?

A: Kennedy Space Center B: Stonehenge
C: Panama Canal D: Gateway Arch

With 17 seconds left, John decides to Ask The Audience.
ATA
A: 30% B: 5% C: 32% D: 33%
Meredith suggests that this result fits the phrase John introduced at this place of work: "It's a hot mess!"

With 11 seconds left, John decides to Ask The Expert.

John: Campbell, I'm sure hope you've read this book!

Campbell: Unnnnhhh, John! I didn't! Wow!

John: The audience has leaned away from Stonehenge. They're saying Gateway Arch.

Campbell: Stonehenge has got to be in that book, right?

John: The one I was leaning towards was Kennedy Space Center. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to be a signal landmark.

Campbell: I agree. I would definitely assume--again, I don't know the answer here--I would have to think that Stonehenge is in the book. I would think the Panama Canal. I've seen it; it's pretty extraordinary. I--Kennedy Space Center? Honestly, I've never been there, but it is, ummm--although--okay, it's between A and D.

John: I think so, too.

Campbell: I'd probably go with the audience, here, and say--I mean if I was choosing my places to see before I die, I'd probably choose Panama Canal--I'd go with the audience and Gateway Arch.

John: Okay.

Meredith: Thank you, Campbell. She says go with the audience. I don't know if she knew that it was only 33% of the audience.

With 9 seconds left, John decides to Double Dip.

John's first answer is
Spoiler
D: Gateway Arch
Answer
D: Gateway Arch ( 9 )
$25,000 * School Ties
The TV shows "Glee" and "Freaks and Geeks" are both set at high schools named after what president?

A: William McKinley B: James Buchanan
C: Millard Fillmore D: Grover Cleveland

John wishes he had saved the ATA for this one. He takes his $15,000 and walks away.
Answer
A: William McKinley ( 13 )
-- Commercial Break --

starfish1113

Re: Transcript 05/06/10 - John Buschiazzo (carryover)

#2 Post by starfish1113 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:01 pm

On the first question, is there any reason why somebody would know this unless they have memorized the book?? I don't see any clue in the question itself, and, while Stonehenge seems like an obvious wrong answer, the other three seem equally plausible.

MarleysGh0st

#3 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 06, 2010 8:10 pm

starfish1113 wrote:On the first question, is there any reason why somebody would know this unless they have memorized the book?? I don't see any clue in the question itself, and, while Stonehenge seems like an obvious wrong answer, the other three seem equally plausible.
I don't see any rational way to be sure of an answer. 1,000 places are quite a lot--why would any of these fail to make the list? I was leaning towards Kennedy Space Center, on the grounds that the launch platforms wouldn't be all that impressive to look at, unless a launch was actually in progress. (And if Kennedy is on the list, is the Russian space center on it, too? This is a global list, right?)

This was a WWOQ meant to burn the DD, at least.

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Thu May 06, 2010 8:11 pm

starfish1113 wrote:On the first question, is there any reason why somebody would know this unless they have memorized the book?? I don't see any clue in the question itself, and, while Stonehenge seems like an obvious wrong answer, the other three seem equally plausible.
I agree with you. After what has seemed to be a long streak of gentle stacks that reach high levels, this question suddenly shows up at $15K. It's a good thing he didn't blow his lifelines earlier -- but that only meant that he could blow them all here and walk away on the next Q. Too strange.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

MarleysGh0st

#5 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu May 06, 2010 8:15 pm

I'm glad Meredith called attention to the fact that John mislead Campbell by saying the audience went for one choice when it was virtually a three-way tie. But is there anything in the official rules that prevented her from pointing that out before ending the ATE call?

TheConfessor

#6 Post by TheConfessor » Thu May 06, 2010 8:38 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
I agree with you. After what has seemed to be a long streak of gentle stacks that reach high levels, this question suddenly shows up at $15K. It's a good thing he didn't blow his lifelines earlier -- but that only meant that he could blow them all here and walk away on the next Q. Too strange.
I agree too. I didn't see any clear logic behind the omission of one of those choices. I've seen Stonehenge and the Gateway Arch (but not the other two), and I wouldn't have left the Arch off my Top 1000 list.

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri May 07, 2010 4:20 am

According to Amazon, this is a 974 page book that devotes approximately one page to each site, with directions on how to get there and the best time to go. Some of the sites are obvious (the Great Wall of China), but some seem very arbitrary (Robert Louis Stevenson's home in Samoa or the Complete Fly Fisher Motel in Montana). Many of the sites are famous or not so famous hotels. My guess is that most people who have bought it haven't read it all the way through (it would seem to be the type of book that gets very repetitive very quickly), but rather keep it as a travel reference either to check out what's worth seeing where they'll be vacationing or to get an idea of what place to visit. I'd also guess that many people who have tried to read the book would have a tough time remembering what is or is not in the book unless it was a site that they'd actually gone to because the book recommended it.

It would seem that this type of book would only be suitable for either a very low dollar (with one obvious correct answer) or a very high dollar question. I personally would have guessed Gateway Arch from these choices, but I'd have been hard pressed to guess Stevenson's home made the list out of a group of similarly plausible choices.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

NellyLunatic1980

#8 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:57 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15,000 * Tourist Attractions
Which of these tourist attractions is not profiled in the 2003 bestseller "1,000 Places to See Before You Die"?

I got the right answer... and ironically, it was the only one of these four places that I have actually seen.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * School Ties
The TV shows "Glee" and "Freaks and Geeks" are both set at high schools named after what president?

I've never seen either show, but I do know that Glee takes place in Ohio. So that means that the president for whom the high school is named would most likely have been Ohio-born. Only one fits that bill--McKinley.

So it's a nihil obstat® for me.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 07, 2010 5:34 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:So it's a nihil obstat® for me.
So when you say you got the $15K question, do you mean that you knew it cold (or with enough logic behind your answer that you wouldn't have used a lifeline*) or did you take a lucky guess from the comfort of home?

If the latter...no nihil obstat® for you!

*And if you do see the logic behind the answer, please explain for the benefit of those of us who can't.

starfish1113

#10 Post by starfish1113 » Fri May 07, 2010 6:41 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
So when you say you got the $15K question, do you mean that you knew it cold (or with enough logic behind your answer that you wouldn't have used a lifeline*) or did you take a lucky guess from the comfort of home?

*And if you do see the logic behind the answer, please explain for the benefit of those of us who can't.
REC for Marley!!

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 07, 2010 6:48 am

For the record, I'm not slamming Nelly or the phrase nihil obstat® (which I think is quite elegant). I'm just seeking clarification, in the interest of protecting its proper Bored usage. :)

Bob Juch

#12 Post by Bob Juch » Fri May 07, 2010 8:02 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:

The Gateway Arch is certainly the most minor of the four.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 07, 2010 8:13 am

Bob Juch wrote:The Gateway Arch is certainly the most minor of the four.
Certainly?

lv42day

#14 Post by lv42day » Fri May 07, 2010 10:51 am

I don't understand why the Gateway arch wouldn't make the list. It is the tallest monument in the USA. Of the 4 though, I was torn between the Kennedy Space Center and the Gateway Arch, just by asking myself which one would I least like to see of the 4? (btw I would like to see all 4)

tanstaafl2

#15 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri May 07, 2010 11:21 am

lv42day wrote:I don't understand why the Gateway arch wouldn't make the list. It is the tallest monument in the USA. Of the 4 though, I was torn between the Kennedy Space Center and the Gateway Arch, just by asking myself which one would I least like to see of the 4? (btw I would like to see all 4)
Not only was it a tough question since the choices are rather subjective on the part of the author(s) but it was specific to the 2003 edition. It gets updated regularly.

I've been to all four and while I enjoyed them all I would have to say that while the Panama Canal is a marvel of engineering and a place we have most all heard about it really isn't all that much to see as a tourist. Watching a car transport ship squeeze through the locks is interesting enough once (They are specifically built to just fit in the lock as are many cargo ships these days) but I didn't really need to see it again.

Unless you see it as I did perhaps. While on a trans continental helicopter flight flying northwest from the Gulf of Panama/Pacific end to the Caribbean/Atlantic end we got up to about 5000 feet over the canal zone and with both doors open you could see the Gulf out one door and the the Caribbean out the other with the entire canal (much of which is made up of Lake Gatun) stretching out below. An interesting perspective and that part I wouldn't mind seeing again!

At that time it was still under US control and the canal zone itself did not allow trees to be cut down. Most of that part of Panama was completely deforested making the canal zone rather easy to spot. Probably changed a lot now.

I will add at least one more from the book (I have copy at home somewhere) with the trip to Egypt and Jordan this fall. I have seen the pyramids before but Jordan will include a stop at Petra (home of the holy grail...).
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Sat May 08, 2010 6:56 pm

TheConfessor wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:
I agree too. I didn't see any clear logic behind the omission of one of those choices. I've seen Stonehenge and the Gateway Arch (but not the other two), and I wouldn't have left the Arch off my Top 1000 list.
My guess is that the question was written after a WWtBaM writer read an article about St. Louis' outrage at their icon being left off the list. I have not been successful at finding such an article, though. Just a hunch.

Do we have any BBs in that area who read the newspaper?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#17 Post by ulysses5019 » Sun May 09, 2010 1:45 am

Estonut wrote:
TheConfessor wrote:
silvercamaro wrote:I agree with you. After what has seemed to be a long streak of gentle stacks that reach high levels, this question suddenly shows up at $15K. It's a good thing he didn't blow his lifelines earlier -- but that only meant that he could blow them all here and walk away on the next Q. Too strange.
My guess is that the question was written after a WWtBaM writer read an article about St. Louis' outrage at their icon being left off the list. I have not been successful at finding such an article, though. Just a hunch.

Do we have any BBs in that area who read the newspaper?

I think lb just reads the menu at the Ponderosa and KFC.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

earendel

#18 Post by earendel » Mon May 10, 2010 10:11 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: John Buschiazzo
Mount Joy, PA

John's nine-year-old daughter, Gracie, thinks he's the smartest man she knows. If he wins the $1 million, he's promised her $15 and a puppy. Gracie's little sister, Emma, has been promised $15, too.
Hey, big spender! :P
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15,000 * Tourist Attractions

With 17 seconds left, John decides to Ask The Audience.
ATA
A: 30% B: 5% C: 32% D: 33%
Meredith suggests that this result fits the phrase John introduced at this place of work: "It's a hot mess!"

With 11 seconds left, John decides to Ask The Expert.

John: Campbell, I'm sure hope you've read this book!

Campbell: Unnnnhhh, John! I didn't! Wow!

John: The audience has leaned away from Stonehenge. They're saying Gateway Arch.

Campbell: Stonehenge has got to be in that book, right?

John: The one I was leaning towards was Kennedy Space Center. I don't know why, but it doesn't seem to be a signal landmark.

Campbell: I agree. I would definitely assume--again, I don't know the answer here--I would have to think that Stonehenge is in the book. I would think the Panama Canal. I've seen it; it's pretty extraordinary. I--Kennedy Space Center? Honestly, I've never been there, but it is, ummm--although--okay, it's between A and D.

John: I think so, too.

Campbell: I'd probably go with the audience, here, and say--I mean if I was choosing my places to see before I die, I'd probably choose Panama Canal--I'd go with the audience and Gateway Arch.

John: Okay.

Meredith: Thank you, Campbell. She says go with the audience. I don't know if she knew that it was only 33% of the audience.

With 9 seconds left, John decides to Double Dip.

John's first answer is
Spoiler
D: Gateway Arch
Answer
D: Gateway Arch ( 9 )
The audience was really all over the place on this one. I haven't read the book but of the four the arch seems to be the least impressive of the four. But I don't know if I'd have pulled the trigger without several lifelines.

John wishes he had saved the ATA for this one. He takes his $15,000 and walks away.
Answer
I know it's not B (I went to Buchanan Elementary in OKC) and pretty sure it's not C, so let's DD and use A and D as final answers.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Estonut
Evil Genius

#19 Post by Estonut » Mon May 10, 2010 2:54 pm

earendel wrote:

Answer
I know it's not B (I went to Buchanan Elementary in OKC) and pretty sure it's not C, so let's DD and use A and D as final answers.
I don't get this. Because you know there's a Buchanan Elementary in OKC, there can't be a James Buchanan High School elsewhere?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

earendel

#20 Post by earendel » Tue May 11, 2010 5:47 am

Estonut wrote:
earendel wrote:

Answer
I don't get this. Because you know there's a Buchanan Elementary in OKC, there can't be a James Buchanan High School elsewhere?
What I meant was that because I went to a school named for Buchanan I would have mentally noted that if I heard that the schools on these shows were similarly named. To put it another way, if someone told me that the school in "Glee" was James Buchanan, I would have said (aloud or mentally), "Gee, I went to a Buchanan also." And that association would have stuck so that I could eliminate it from consideration.

I'm not sure this makes my meaning any clearer.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."