Transcript 1/29/10- Christian Carrion (Carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 1/29/10- Christian Carrion (Carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:31 pm

Christian Carrion
New Haven, CT
College student

More histrionics from our over-caffeinated contestant to open the show.

Topic Tree

Genetics
Alcohol
On the Bench
Birds
Cleveland Rocks
World Geography
At the Zoo
Documentaries
Namesakes
On the Web
Education
Holiday Specials
Classic TV
Personal Care
Religion

Meredith asks where Christian’s love of game shows came from. He says he’s loved them since he was four years old. Gives a “big hello” to his brother Andrew in the relationship seat.

Christian still has the ATE and the DD. The expert, on her last day, is GMA Weekend Edition anchor Kate Snow, who is doing “a bang-up job”, according to Meredith (that’s one way to put it, I guess).

$7,500 (On the Web)- What popular “micro-blogging” website encourages users to post short updates about their lives, limited to 140 characters?

A- Flickr B- Digg
C- Imeem D- Twitter
Spoiler
D- Twitter (26)
$10,000 (Namesakes)- Sharing a similar broad and shiny head, the Agathidium vaderi beetle is named after the villain from what movie?

A- Star Wars B- Superman
C- Friday the 13th D- The Silence of the Lambs
Spoiler
A- Star Wars (25)
Those who watched- all I can say is- SIGH. I like excitement as much as anybody, but please…chill, dudes! And PS- that much excitement over $10K? Remember when people used to wait until it was big money to get that excited? But I digress…

$12,500 (Documentaries)- “More Than a Game” is a 2009 documentary about the “Akron Fab Five”, a high school team that featured what sports star?

A- Alex Rodriguez B- Peyton Manning
C- LeBron James D- Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
Spoiler
C- LeBron James (24)
$15,000 (At the Zoo)- Which of the following is true of pinnipeds?

A- They have flippers B- They sleep standing up
C- They have horns D- They hibernate

At 21 seconds, Christian asks the expert (screams for help, actually!)

Kate’s seven-year-old would know this, but then she remembers seeing a sign at the zoo
Spoiler
on the sea lion exhibit- she knows the answer is A. During the discussion, Christian had noted “ped” for “feet” as well.

Spoiler
A- They have flippers (19)
Commercial Break

Christian will use the money for tuition and a car (and “rent”, yells his brother). Meredith points out that they really like having people “who really love the show” on as contestants (oh, really, Meredith?)

$25,000 (World Geography)- Taking a cruise from Copenhagen to Stockholm typically involves traveling on what body of water?

A- Baltic Sea B- Black Sea
C- Adriatic Sea D- Caspian Sea

Christian mulls it over as the clock runs down, then walks with $15,000.
Spoiler
A- Baltic Sea

gsabc

Re: Transcript 1/29/10- Christian Carrion (Carryover)

#2 Post by gsabc » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Another geo-nitwit. Not even good distractors. Why couldn't this $25K question be in Clyde's stack or mine? *sigh*
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Phil Ken Sebbin

#3 Post by Phil Ken Sebbin » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:03 pm

gsabc wrote: Not even good distractors. Why couldn't this $25K question be in Clyde's stack or mine? *sigh*
I was thinking the same thing! Plus a double dip! It might have been a little more difficult if there was a North Sea option but the others aren't even close. I was happy with my $25k but I woulda liked it as my $50k!
"Once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt."

"I had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"Oooohhh, you wascally wabbit!" - Elmer Fudd

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:09 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith asks where Christian’s love of game shows came from. He says he’s loved them since he was four years old.
Ha! I've loved them since I was four months old!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Christian still has the ATE and the DD. The expert, on her last day, is GMA Weekend Edition anchor Kate Snow, who is doing “a bang-up job”, according to Meredith (that’s one way to put it, I guess).
Yep... Meredith's short-term memory is unchanged. :|
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$15,000 (At the Zoo)- Which of the following is true of pinnipeds?

A- They have flippers B- They sleep standing up
C- They have horns D- They hibernate
I immediately went for the "-ped", which helped me to eliminate C and D. Double Dip.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith points out that they really like having people “who really love the show” on as contestants (oh, really, Meredith?)
<grumble>®!

Snaxx

#5 Post by Snaxx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:35 pm

Phil Ken Sebbin wrote:
gsabc wrote: Not even good distractors. Why couldn't this $25K question be in Clyde's stack or mine? *sigh*
I was thinking the same thing! Plus a double dip! It might have been a little more difficult if there was a North Sea option but the others aren't even close. I was happy with my $25k but I woulda liked it as my $50k!
A North Sea choice would have me sent me home with 5K and ATA/ATE unused, with DD having been my LL choice on the pinnipeds question.

Snaxx

#6 Post by Snaxx » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:40 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$10,000 (Namesakes)- Sharing a similar broad and shiny head, the Agathidium vaderi beetle is named after the villain from what movie?

A- Star Wars B- Superman
C- Friday the 13th D- The Silence of the Lambs
Spoiler
A- Star Wars (25)
Remembering it from today's show, I first looked for this question in PKS transcript and wondering where/when it was. I misremembered that PKS had it after reading the subject titles "Trivia Wars" and "The Hot Seat Strikes Back"

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 pm

jacorbett70 wrote:
Phil Ken Sebbin wrote:
A North Sea choice would have me sent me home with 5K and ATA/ATE unused, with DD having been my LL choice on the pinnipeds question.
North Sea would've been an evil distractor for me, too. I don't know where the Baltic Sea officially ends and the North Sea officially begins, or vice versa.

ten96lt

#8 Post by ten96lt » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:18 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Meredith points out that they really like having people “who really love the show” on as contestants (oh, really, Meredith?)
<grumble>®!
Really? I believe to have remembered I specifically said at the audition I was a fanatic of the show since I was 9. And look where I am.......becoming Marley Jr. :shock: :mrgreen:

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#9 Post by ulysses5019 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:16 am

It's difficult for me to beat nelly's four month record but I was on my first game show when I was 24.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

bigpapi

#10 Post by bigpapi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:43 pm

gsabc wrote:Another geo-nitwit. Not even good distractors. Why couldn't this $25K question be in Clyde's stack or mine? *sigh*

I would have taken that at 12.5. :x

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:13 pm

ten96lt wrote:
NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:.

<grumble>®!
Really? I believe to have remembered I specifically said at the audition I was a fanatic of the show since I was 9. And look where I am.......becoming Marley Jr. :shock: :mrgreen:
Son! :mrgreen:

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:24 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (World Geography)- Taking a cruise from Copenhagen to Stockholm typically involves traveling on what body of water?

I wonder why they said "typically" involves? You might sail all around the world from Copenhagen and you'd still have to enter to Baltic to reach Stockholm! Or is there some combination of rivers and canals that let you cross Sweden from the Kattegat?

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#13 Post by silvercamaro » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:45 pm

MarleysGh0st wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 (World Geography)- Taking a cruise from Copenhagen to Stockholm typically involves traveling on what body of water?

I wonder why they said "typically" involves? You might sail all around the world from Copenhagen and you'd still have to enter to Baltic to reach Stockholm! Or is there some combination of rivers and canals that let you cross Sweden from the Kattegat?
Since Stockholm is built on 14 islands (with lots of bridges,) the writers may have decided to cover themselves in case somebody protested that Aunt Christina sailed from Copenhagen to Stockholm in 1947 and went across various sounds, straits, fjords, lakes and/or rivers, but never on any body of water that was labeled as "the Baltic Sea" at that exact place or moment by anybody on the ship's crew. That's the only reason I can imagine.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#14 Post by frogman042 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:24 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Christian still has the ATE and the DD. The expert, on her last day, is GMA Weekend Edition anchor Kate Snow, who is doing “a bang-up job”, according to Meredith (that’s one way to put it, I guess).[/i]
Maybe 'bang-up' like in an auto accident?

BTW, I enjoyed watching Christian, I thought it was great at how enthused he was, but I fear that he let the enthusisim overtake his game playing. I would love to hear a trip report/analysis.

Edit note: I decided to edit out my comment regarding the relative ease or difficulity of the 25K question - this was because I think it is rude in general to make such comments - it wasn't till this morning when I reread it that I realized I made that comment and it is just inappropriate because it could be interpreted as saying something I didn't mean to say. I know when I was in the H.S. lots of things go through ones mind and then afterwards you rethinking those things. All I was really tyring to say is I would love to hear about those thought processes - because it is fun to read. Again, Chris, great job! It was a blast to watch, especially your interactions with your brother. You rightly seemed to be having the time of you life - this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience and you rightly treated it that way.
Last edited by frogman042 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jeemie

#15 Post by Jeemie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:53 am

frogman042 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
Christian still has the ATE and the DD. The expert, on her last day, is GMA Weekend Edition anchor Kate Snow, who is doing “a bang-up job”, according to Meredith (that’s one way to put it, I guess).[/i]
Maybe 'bang-up' like in an auto accident?

BTW, I enjoyed watching Christian, I thought it was great at how enthused he was, but I fear that he let the enthusisim overtake his game playing. I was somewhat surprised that he didn't go for the 25K question, which struck me as one of the easier ones this season at that level. I would love to hear a trip report/analysis. That said, I'm sure that there were plenty who thought my 25K question was a gimme as wel.
I don't mind enthusiasm either, but it can be overdone.

Especially when the contestant gets caught up in it, as you pointed out and I agree with.

Don't get so caught up in your schtick that you forget to play the game.

Twice (on the question he used his ATA on, and on the $25K), I think Christian let that happen.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Ritterskoop

#16 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:35 am

Since the stacks are being saved for later study, I would vote for editorial comments by the transcribers to be added later under their own names, rather than inserted in the transcripts.

I realize it is a bitch to do a transcript, and since I am not helping with them anymore I don't get a vote, but if I had a vote, that would be it.

It adds a layer of stuff for someone studying the questions down the road that isn't necessary and could be distracting, when we could still say what we wanted in a Reply, like everyone else.

I do not know who did this transcript, so I don't know who i am picking on. Thanks.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:41 am

Ritterskoop wrote:Since the stacks are being saved for later study, I would vote for editorial comments by the transcribers to be added later under their own names, rather than inserted in the transcripts.
I fully agree. The reason we use the BB Transcript Team premise rather than just having individuals do this under their own names is to promote objectivity and uniformity. There's nothing wrong with a BB entering his or her own comments, but they should do so as themselves.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing a note at the bottom of each transcript along the effect of "Today's transcript compiled by ...." Many of us (especially those like me who don't follow every single Bored thread) don't know who did the work and I'd like to be able to extend a note of thanks every now and then.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Ritterskoop

#18 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:01 am

I also do not intend to say transcribers shouldn't include descriptions of interesting things: exchanges with Meredith, personality stuff, etc. I just think it can be done without too much opinion.

It's like trying to be a good journalist: our biases exist, and we must compensate for them the best we can.

Thanks to all the transcribers. I mean it. It is a difficult job, and it is one of the foundations of the Bored.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Jeemie

#19 Post by Jeemie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:47 pm

I think I might do this more than any of the other transcribers...but then I usually add later comments that show I was the one that did that particular transcription.

However, I will refrain from editorializing in the actual transcript post in the future and add my own opinions under my own username later, if that's what people would like...no worries there!
Last edited by Jeemie on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andrewjackson

#20 Post by andrewjackson » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:25 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
jacorbett70 wrote:
Phil Ken Sebbin wrote: I was thinking the same thing! Plus a double dip! It might have been a little more difficult if there was a North Sea option but the others aren't even close. I was happy with my $25k but I woulda liked it as my $50k!
North Sea would've been an evil distractor for me, too. I don't know where the Baltic Sea officially ends and the North Sea officially begins, or vice versa.
I would say that Denmark is the dividing line.

The Baltic Sea is east of Denmark and the North Sea is west of it. The Kattegat (northeast of Denmark) and Skagerrak (north of Denmark) are the primary bodies of water (along with straits like the Oresund and Danish Straits) connecting the Baltic and North seas. Those two are sometimes seen as part of the Baltic and sometimes as part of the North sea.

If the question had included North Sea, that would have been problematic depending on your view of the Kattegat.
Last edited by andrewjackson on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Jeemie

#21 Post by Jeemie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:29 pm

andrewjackson wrote:If the question had included North Sea, that would have been problematic depending on your view of the Kattegat.
Since the question asked about going from Copenhagen to Stockholm, and because Copenhagen is not close to the North Sea, it wouldn't have been a problem at all.

Copenhagen is on the southeast coast of Denmark.

themanintheseersuckersuit

#22 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:40 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:It's difficult for me to beat nelly's four month record but I was on my first game show when I was 24.
I'm waiting for the Placentia bored contingent to chime in with some game show fans who began in utero
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

andrewjackson

#23 Post by andrewjackson » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:32 pm

Jeemie wrote:
andrewjackson wrote:If the question had included North Sea, that would have been problematic depending on your view of the Kattegat.
Since the question asked about going from Copenhagen to Stockholm, and because Copenhagen is not close to the North Sea, it wouldn't have been a problem at all.

Copenhagen is on the southeast coast of Denmark.
Copenhagen is very close (less than 30 miles) to the North Sea if you consider the Kattegat part of the North Sea.

Copenhagen is on the Oresund that connects the Kattegat and the main Baltic Sea. You could go downstream through the Oresund to the Kattegat (which some consider part of the North Sea and then through the Danish Straits back into the Baltic.

I'm not saying that Baltic is not the right answer but the North Sea is possible if you think it includes the Kattegat.
No matter where you go, there you are.

Jeemie

#24 Post by Jeemie » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:01 pm

andrewjackson wrote:I'm not saying that Baltic is not the right answer but the North Sea is possible if you think it includes the Kattegat.
That's where "typically" would come in.

It would be quite silly to sail north into the Kattegat to go to Stockholm...you would have to turn around and come back past Copenhagen or else around the western and southern coasts of Sjælland to get back into the Baltic Sea.

tanstaafl2

#25 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:37 am

Jeemie wrote:
andrewjackson wrote:I'm not saying that Baltic is not the right answer but the North Sea is possible if you think it includes the Kattegat.
That's where "typically" would come in.

It would be quite silly to sail north into the Kattegat to go to Stockholm...you would have to turn around and come back past Copenhagen or else around the western and southern coasts of Sjælland to get back into the Baltic Sea.
Would make more sense to me to just drive from Copenhagen to Stockholm via the Drogden tunnel and Oresund bridge! Then you don't have to worry about what body of water you are on...
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh