Transcript 01/28/10 - Carrie Cranmer

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 01/28/10 - Carrie Cranmer

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:22 pm

Carrie Cranmer
Langhorne, PA
Dog treat bakery owner

Carrie started her bakery a little over a year ago, after she began by baking treats for her own dog.

Question Topics:
* Internet Origins
* Mammals
* The Senate
* Hormones
* The United Nations
* Magazines
* Classic Novels
* Architecture
* CELEBRITY Q
* Landmark Letters
* Probability
* Slang
* Advertising
* Furniture
* Old Sayings

$500 * Old Sayings
According to an old saying, what kind of animal "catches the worm"?

A: The early cat B: The early bird
C: The early horse D: The CBS Early Show
Answer
B: The early bird ( 8 )
$1,000 * Furniture
By definition, which of these types of chairs is meant to be used outdoors?

A: Rocking chair B: Swivel chair
C: Lawn chair D: Easy chair
Answer
C: Lawn chair ( 9 )
$2,000 * Advertising
A talking toaster named "Milton" was featured in early advertisements for what popular snack brand?

A: Pop-Tarts B: Twinkies
C: Doritos D: Oreos
Answer
A: Pop-Tarts ( 10 )
$3,000 * Slang
When used as a verb, which of these words is not commonly used as a slang term meaning "to dismiss from a job"?

A: Horn B: Sack
C: Axe D: Can
Answer
A: Horn ( 9 )
$5,000 * Probability
If you randomly guess the answer to this multiple-choice question, what are the odds you would get it correct?

A: 10 percent B: 25 percent
C: 33 percent D: 50 percent
Answer
B: 25 percent ( 9 )
-- Commercial Break --

We see a picture of Carrie's dog, Gurney (?), who is the face of her business and their chief taster.

$7,500 * Landmark Letters
In 1887, a group of prominent citizens penned a letter protesting what landmark as an "odious column of bolted metal"?

A: Eiffel Tower B: Leaning Tower of Pisa
C: Great Pyramid D: Washington Monument
Answer
A: Eiffel Tower ( 17 )
$10,000 * CELEBRITY Q
Reading this celebrity question is Gilles Marini.
On the eighth season of "DWTS," I finished in second place behind seventeen-year-old Shawn Johnson, who first rose to fame as a what?

A: Supermodel B: Country singer
C: Snowboarder D: Gymnast
Answer
D: Gymnast ( 22 )
$12,500 * Architecture
Which of these U.S. places lends its name to a style of house that is commonly constructed with a low frame and central chimney?

A: Cape Cod B: Shenandoah Valley
C: Mackinac Island D: Mississippi Delta
Answer
A: Cape Cod ( 21 )
$15,000 * Classic Novels
In an allusion to Greek mythology, Mary Shelley's classic novel "Frankenstein" has what subtitle?

A: The New Pandora B: The Bold Narcissus
C: The Tragic Oedipus D: The Modern Prometheus

With 21 seconds left, Carrie decides to Ask The Expert. Today's expert is Kate Snow, anchor of Good Morning America, Weekend Edition.

Kate: I don't know why, but I have a feeling that it's D: Modern--I don't know how to say that--Prometheus? But I just feel like maybe I've seen that on the book jacket. Did you ever read it, Carrie?

Carrie: I have not read it.

Kate: I read it twenty five years ago. I'm not entirely sure, but I have a gut feeling that it might be D.

Carrie: How sure is that gut feeling?

Kate: Well, it's definitely not Oedipus, right. It's not C, because we all know what an Oedipal Complex is, right? And I don't think it's Pandora--I'm fair--I would say I'm fifty-fifty.

Meredith: All right.

Answer
D: The Modern Prometheus ( 20 )
-- Commercial Break --

The same week that Carrie auditioned for this show, her car died. She's driving her friend's twenty-year-old pickup truck, a little green Ford Ranger. She's not sure if she wants to fix her old car or buy a new one.

$25,000 * Magazines
Over 1.5 million copies of the April 1972 issue of Cosmopolitan were sold thanks to a nude centerfold of whom?

A: Jack Nicholson B: Burt Reynolds
C: Joe Namath D: Peter Fonda

Carrie thinks she knows, but with 17 seconds left, she decides to Ask The Audience.

ATA: A: 3% B: 73% C: 20% D: 4%

That was Carrie's guess, too.
Answer
B: Burt Reynolds ( 14 )
$50,000 * The United Nations
What is the one member of the United Nations whose capital city has a name that begins with the letter "Z"?

A: Sri Lanka B: Kenya
C: Croatia D: Laos

With 35 seconds left, Carrie decides to Double Dip.

Carrie's first answer is
Spoiler
A: Sri Lanka
Carrie's second answer is
Spoiler
B: Kenya
Answer
C: Croatia ( 31 )
Carrie leaves with $25,000.

-- Commercial Break --
Sneak Peak at One of the Next Episode's Questions
$25,000
The active ingredient in which of these popular drugs was originally developed to treat high blood pressure?

A: Rogaine B: Advair
C: Claritin D: Ritalin

Edited to correct the name of the celebrity reading the CELEBRITY Q (and to correct the spelling of "advertisements" while I'm at it).
Last edited by BBTranscriptTeam on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 01/28/10 - Carrie Cranmer

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:37 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:We see a picture of Carrie's dog, Gurney (?), who is the face of her business and their chief taster.
I think I transcribed the name of her dog correctly, but I can't find Gurney's photo on their Taste Testers web page. That says that someone named Cee Jay is their #1 Taste Tester!
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $15,000 * Classic Novels
In an allusion to Greek mythology, Mary Shelley's classic novel "Frankenstein" has what subtitle?

A: The New Pandora B: The Bold Narcissus
C: The Tragic Oedipus D: The Modern Prometheus

With 21 seconds left, Carrie decides to Ask The Expert. Today's expert is Kate Snow, anchor of Good Morning America, Weekend Edition.

Kate: I don't know why, but I have a feeling that it's D: Modern--I don't know how to say that--Prometheus? But I just feel like maybe I've seen that on the book jacket. Did you ever read it, Carrie?

Carrie: I have not read it.

Kate: I read it twenty five years ago. I'm not entirely sure, but I have a gut feeling that it might be D.

Carrie: How sure is that gut feeling?

Kate: Well, it's definitely not Oedipus, right. It's not C, because we all know what an Oedipal Complex is, right? And I don't think it's Pandora--I'm fair--I would say I'm fifty-fifty.

Meredith: All right.

Answer
D: The Modern Prometheus ( 20 )
Well now, for once Kate's hunch was correct, but how did she suddenly collapse from being fair(ly) sure about D being the right answer to only 50-50? And if B was still a possibility for her, why didn't she say anything in consideration of that choice?

NellyLunatic1980

#3 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:07 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * Magazines
Over 1.5 million copies of the April 1972 issue of Cosmopolitan were sold thanks to a nude centerfold of whom?

I can narrow it down to Burt Reynolds and Joe Namath. I'll also ATA.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$50,000 * The United Nations
What is the one member of the United Nations whose capital city has a name that begins with the letter "Z"?

Carrie's first answer is
Spoiler
Spoiler
Answer
Sheesh... of all of the wrong answers she could pick on this question, why the French did she pick the most obviously wrong one? Has she never heard of Nairobi?
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$25,000
The active ingredient in which of these popular drugs was originally developed to treat high blood pressure?

I hope this is in PKS's stack. Could be a good omen.

Phil Ken Sebbin

#4 Post by Phil Ken Sebbin » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:13 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:
$25,000

I hope this is in PKS's stack. Could be a good omen.[/quote]

I'll never tell! OK, maybe tomorrow. You guys drive a hard deal.
"Once had an awkward moment, just to see how it felt."

"I had a wonderful time, but this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

"Oooohhh, you wascally wabbit!" - Elmer Fudd

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#5 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:27 pm

Sheesh... of all of the wrong answers she could pick on this question, why the French did she pick the most obviously wrong one? Has she never heard of Nairobi?
Playing as much trivia as I do, I see lots of geophobia.
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:50 am

$100K with all my lifelines and a bunch of time left.

Of course, nowadays, being at a third tier level with all your lifelines realistically only means you have two ways to kill a bit of additional time while you try to work out an answer on your own.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:52 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25,000 * Magazines

I can narrow it down to Burt Reynolds and Joe Namath. I'll also ATA.
Once again I feel incredibly old.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

tanstaafl2

#8 Post by tanstaafl2 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:22 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Carrie Cranmer
Langhorne, PA
Dog treat bakery owner

$10,000 * CELEBRITY Q
Reading this celebrity question is Jim Murray.
On the eighth season of "DWTS," I finished in second place behind seventeen-year-old Shawn Johnson, who first rose to fame as a what?

A: Supermodel B: Country singer
C: Snowboarder D: Gymnast
Answer
D: Gymnast ( 22 )
Something wrong here. It must be Ty Murray and he defintely didn't finish second. Gilles Marini, who was probably the best dancer that season in spite of a separated shoulder, was second followed by Melissa Rycroft.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Carrie Cranmer

$50,000 * The United Nations

Carrie's first answer is
Spoiler
Spoiler
Answer

-- Commercial Break --
$25,000

Geonitwitism at its finest. Although perhaps it helps that I have been in three of the four capitals including the correct answer! But not likely I will be in Colombo any time soon...

Remarkably easy stack, at least for me, compared to some of the recent stacks. Looking at 100K with no lifelines used. Heck even the sneak peak Q was a gimmie for me. Though perhaps not for everyone.
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#9 Post by silvercamaro » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:28 am

tanstaafl2 wrote:
Something wrong here. It must be Ty Murray and he defintely didn't finish second. Gilles Marini, who was probably the best dancer that season in spite of a separated shoulder, was second followed by Melissa Rycroft.
I meant to say something about this yesterday, but I was distracted by white stuff. It was Gilles Marini who provided the celebrity question.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

MarleysGh0st

#10 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:52 am

silvercamaro wrote:
tanstaafl2 wrote:
I meant to say something about this yesterday, but I was distracted by white stuff. It was Gilles Marini who provided the celebrity question.
Oops! I didn't quite catch his name and I had meant to google that,too. Gilles Marini sounds like Jim Murray doesn't it? :oops:

But what a strange coincidence that there was also a Ty Murray in the competition! :mrgreen:

This is one more thing I don't like about transcribing the Celebrity Qs: we get a verbal introduction of the celeb and then his/her name never appears on screen in the question phrased as "I did" something or other.