Transcript 09/11/09 - London Pfahler

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/11/09 - London Pfahler

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:54 am

London Pfahler
Upland, CA

At the show's opening, Meredith stands next to London, introducing her with, "This massage therapist is living in her parents' garage. It's a good thing they let her out, so she can win a million on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

London is living in the garage because there's no extra room in the garage, so all they could think of was to take some stuff out of the garage and "fill it up with me."

Meredith wants to know, "So where's the car?"

The car is in the front of the driveway and it's wrecked because her dad got rear-ended, so it's smashed in sitting in the driveway and they can't tow it until it's permanently his and they obviously can't put it in the garage because she's in there, so there's nowhere to put it.

Category tree
Chicken
The Supremes
TV Commercials
Far and Wide
The Hail Mary
Banking
Names in the News
Chem Lab
Not Again
Mambo Italiano
Two Steps Back
Teething Tots
Tough Choices
Carrot-Top
Can't Touch That

The expert, as he has been all week, is million-dollar winner John Carpenter. He's been perfect this week.

$100 -- Can't Touch That
If you wanted to describe an object as undesirable, you would most likely say, "I wouldn't touch that with a ten-foot" what?
A. Ladder, B. Pole
C. Rope, D. Britney Spears album
Answer
B. Pole (10)
$200 -- Carrot-Top
The comedian Carrot Top has a "carrot-top," which means he sports which of these physical features?
A. Blue eyes, B. Big ears
C. Red hair, D. Long legs
Answer
C. Red hair (10)
$300 -- Tough Choices
The eternal question "Ginger or Mary Ann" asks men to choose between two characters on what classic TV show?
A. M*A*S*H, B. Gilligan's Island
C. My Three Sons, D. The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Answer
B. Gilligan's Island (9)
$500 -- Teething Tots
Perhaps alluding to the diets of very small children, deciduous or "baby" teeth are also known as what?
A. Bread teeth, B. Fruit teeth
C. Steak teeth, D. Milk teeth

London needs to ATA (7)
Spoiler
A. 1%
B. 4%
C. 2%
D. 93%
Answer
D. Milk teeth (6)
$1000 -- Two Steps Back
Which of the following is the name of a wildly popular brand of foam clogs?
A. Crocs, B. Rhinos
C. Chimps, D. Hippos
Answer
A. Crocs (11)
Meredith notes, "That one was easy for you. You've got a thousand dollars."

$2000 -- Mambo Italiano
In Italian, the "@" sign found in e-mail addresses is known as "chiocciola" because it's also the work for what similarly-shaped animal?
A. Snail, B. Butterfly
C. Centipede, D. Spider
Answer
A. Snail (25)
$4000 -- Not Again
In 2009, what famously reclusive author sued to prevent the publication of an unauthorized sequel to "The Catcher in the Rye"?
A. Thomas Pynchon, B. Harper Lee
C. Cormac McCarthy, D. J.D. Salinger

ATE (19)

John's been doing a great job all week. Meredith thinks he's gotten every single one right. John's just trying to help.
Spoiler
Catcher in the Rye was written by J.D. Salinger. After London asks him a couple of times, John agrees that he's 100% sure.
Answer
D. J.D. Salinger (18)
Commercial break

$8000 -- Chem Lab
In recent headlines, health concerns about bisphenol A focus on the chemical's presence in what everyday item?
A. Cigarettes, B. Hand soap
C. Artificial sweeteners, D. Plastic drink bottles

PAF (18)

London's PAF line-up is:

Terri (Upland, CA), her mother
Brian (Upland, CA), her father
Brian-Nick (Upland, CA), her brother

She chooses her dad, Brian.

Brian helped London prepare for the game.

He needs "bisphenol" spelled. He's not sure, he would have to say . . . . buzzer

DD (2)

London's first answer is correct.
Answer
D. Plastic drink bottles (2)
It looks like London may be about to cry. She's okay, though. She had an inkling because there's been a lot of talk about this lately (Transcriber's note -- the California Legislature has been vigorously debating a bill to ban the use of the chemical in
Spoiler
baby bottles
) but she wasn't sure. Her dad said that if she's not positive, to use her lifelines and she did. Meredith notes, "You used him; he didn't know."

$16,000 -- Names in the News
A familiar face in the ongoing economic situation, Timothy Geithner currently holds what job?
A. CEO of Citibank, B. Federal Reserve Chairman
C. White House Counsel, D. Secretary of the Treasury

London has no clue. She wishes she could use her lifeline for this one. She's going to walk away with her $8,000.
Answer
D. Secretary of the Treasury (8)
Going into the commercial break, we are introduced to the on-deck contestant, Alan Carver of Federal Way, WA

Commercial break

hanzz

Re: Transcript 09/11/09 - London Pfahler

#2 Post by hanzz » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:29 am

I'm going to guess audition. I'm sorry, even as a chemistry major, I can forgive bisphenol, but you have to have been living under a rock not to know or have heard about Timothy Geithner in recent news.
In this town, don't we love it now, everbody's waiting for the next surprise!

gsabc

#3 Post by gsabc » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:42 pm

A rarity for me, not even ATA use through $16K and without breathing too hard from the comfort of my computer chair.

One of these days, I've gotta read me some Salinger. Questions on his books come up way too often.

And I agree with hanzz. Pay attention to current events and those in power, people!!
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

Jeemie

#4 Post by Jeemie » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:05 pm

I'm sorry, I've been trying to turn over a new leaf and be nice to contestants because I understand the Hot Seat is pressure-packed, but if you're playing a trivia game, ya GOTTA be up on current events.

And I may have even cut her some slack on that, but to have to ATA on the friggin' $500 question? One that, again, had the clue to the answer in the question (although not completely clear-cut a clue, since it said "small children" and not "babies")?

And her father may have helped her prepare for the game but didn't spend time on PAF management, seemingly.
1979 City of Champions 2009

NellyLunatic1980

#5 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:00 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:At the show's opening, Meredith stands next to London, introducing her with, "This massage therapist is living in her parents' garage. It's a good thing they let her out, so she can win a million on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."
Meredith has been getting better lately at calling the show by its proper name.

$8K: Never heard of this chemical. Let's try the audience, since the question said this chemical has been in recent headlines.

Kazoo65

#6 Post by Kazoo65 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:34 pm

Did this lady make to the RoF via an audition or the Phone Game?  She seemed very unprepared to play the game.  Also, we have yet another person who doesn't seem to pay attention to current events. I knew both the chemical question and the question about what Tim Geithner does-it helps to read/listen to the news.  As another person said, if you're going to be on a game show that involves trivia questions, you should brush up on stuff like recent headlines and current Cabinet members. 
I'm just a game show nerd.

gsabc

#7 Post by gsabc » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:22 am

Kazoo65 wrote:As another person said, if you're going to be on a game show that involves trivia questions, you should brush up on stuff like recent headlines and current Cabinet members. 
To heck with the game show! If you want to know what's going on in the world and not be led by the nose to inane opinions by bloviating, self-aggrandizing radio and television hosts and oped writers, you should know - not just "brush up on", but KNOW - about recent headlines and federal officials. It's part of being a citizen, not just a user of resources and good oxygen.

earendel

#8 Post by earendel » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:43 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:London Pfahler
Upland, CA

At the show's opening, Meredith stands next to London, introducing her with, "This massage therapist is living in her parents' garage. It's a good thing they let her out, so she can win a million on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire."

London is living in the garage because there's no extra room in the garage, so all they could think of was to take some stuff out of the garage and "fill it up with me."

Meredith wants to know, "So where's the car?"

The car is in the front of the driveway and it's wrecked because her dad got rear-ended, so it's smashed in sitting in the driveway and they can't tow it until it's permanently his and they obviously can't put it in the garage because she's in there, so there's nowhere to put it.
She's living in the garage - another "times are tough" hotseater.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 -- Teething Tots
Perhaps alluding to the diets of very small children, deciduous or "baby" teeth are also known as what?

London needs to ATA (7)
Spoiler
A. 1%
B. 4%
C. 2%
D. 93%
Answer
D. Milk teeth (6)
Giving London the benefit of the doubt, this is one of those questions that could have been answered without the pressure of TDC®.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000 -- Not Again
In 2009, what famously reclusive author sued to prevent the publication of an unauthorized sequel to "The Catcher in the Rye"?
A. Thomas Pynchon, B. Harper Lee
C. Cormac McCarthy, D. J.D. Salinger

ATE (19)

John's been doing a great job all week. Meredith thinks he's gotten every single one right. John's just trying to help.
Spoiler
Catcher in the Rye was written by J.D. Salinger. After London asks him a couple of times, John agrees that he's 100% sure.
Answer
D. J.D. Salinger (18)
I guess she didn't have to read "Catcher" in high school.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000 -- Chem Lab
In recent headlines, health concerns about bisphenol A focus on the chemical's presence in what everyday item?
A. Cigarettes, B. Hand soap
C. Artificial sweeteners, D. Plastic drink bottles

PAF (18)

London's PAF line-up is:

Terri (Upland, CA), her mother
Brian (Upland, CA), her father
Brian-Nick (Upland, CA), her brother

She chooses her dad, Brian.

Brian helped London prepare for the game.

He needs "bisphenol" spelled. He's not sure, he would have to say . . . . buzzer

DD (2)

London's first answer is correct.
Answer
D. Plastic drink bottles (2)
All in all it seems that London's relative youth is working against her. Most parents of young children would probably know this one, as would those who do a lot of exercising and have their own water bottles. This might be an easy Google, but London didn't bother to spell "bisphenol" for her dad.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16,000 -- Names in the News
A familiar face in the ongoing economic situation, Timothy Geithner currently holds what job?

London has no clue. She wishes she could use her lifeline for this one. She's going to walk away with her $8,000.
Answer
Hmmm...doesn't she realize that she (or more likely her children) are going to be paying off the debt that the government has incurred?
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#9 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:56 am

gsabc wrote:
Kazoo65 wrote:As another person said, if you're going to be on a game show that involves trivia questions, you should brush up on stuff like recent headlines and current Cabinet members. 
To heck with the game show! If you want to know what's going on in the world and not be led by the nose to inane opinions by bloviating, self-aggrandizing radio and television hosts and oped writers, you should know - not just "brush up on", but KNOW - about recent headlines and federal officials. It's part of being a citizen, not just a user of resources and good oxygen.
If you don't know whats going on in the word, you probably don't pay attention to radio and television hosts and op-ed writers in the first place.

Signed,

User of resources and whatever oxygen there happens to be in the air here.
Screw you guys, I'm going home.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#10 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:06 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
gsabc wrote:
If you don't know whats going on in the word, you probably don't pay attention to radio and television hosts and op-ed writers in the first place.

Signed,

Time to give that DVR to someone more worthy of occupying space on this planet......

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#11 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:07 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
gsabc wrote:To heck with the game show! If you want to know what's going on in the world and not be led by the nose to inane opinions by bloviating, self-aggrandizing radio and television hosts and oped writers, you should know - not just "brush up on", but KNOW - about recent headlines and federal officials. It's part of being a citizen, not just a user of resources and good oxygen.

Signed,

Time to give that DVR to someone more worthy of occupying space on this planet......

lb13
gs is not getting my DVR! How about if I promise to record one hour of CNN per week?

Rexer25
It's all his fault. That'll be $10.

#12 Post by Rexer25 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:07 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:

Signed,

lb13
gs is not getting my DVR! How about if I promise to record one hour of CNN per week?
As longas it's not Larry King...
Enough already. It's my fault! Get over it!

That'll be $10, please.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#13 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:

Signed,

lb13

OK, but there will be a pop quiz sometime next week....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#14 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:09 pm

Rexer25 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
Hey, I've actually seen Larry King before, sometimes Judge Judy is on it! Holly was even on it once.....

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#15 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:10 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13

lb13
I said "record" it......

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#16 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
Hey, I've actually seen Larry King before, sometimes Judge Judy is on it! Holly was even on it once.....
OMG, I just realized that I can now set it to record JJ so I can watch it whenever I want and not have to slog through the repeats to get to the new ones!

I'm now off to figure out how to do that.....

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#17 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:11 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:

lb13
I said "record" it......

If a DVR recording is never watched, does it really exist?

lb13

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#18 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:12 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
littlebeast13 wrote:

lb13
I said "record" it......

If a DVR recording is never watched, does it really exist?

lb13
Yes, until it's deleted to record another hour the next week.

Byrd
Merry Man

#19 Post by Byrd » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:13 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
Rexer25 wrote:
OMG, I just realized that I can now set it to record JJ so I can watch it whenever I want and not have to slog through the repeats to get to the new ones!

But I look good, even in the repeats.....
All rise!

Southpaw Fanny
Here comes the screwball

#20 Post by Southpaw Fanny » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:15 pm

Byrd wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:
Southpaw Fanny wrote:

But I look good, even in the repeats.....
Of course I will save all episodes where Byrd has a speaking part other than the docket announcements. Especially when JJ cracks him up, my Byrd looks so cute when he laughs....

Also when somebody gets too out of hand and Byrd has to go over there and get mean with them and shut them up or escort them from the courtroom.

gsabc

#21 Post by gsabc » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:31 pm

Southpaw Fanny wrote:
gsabc wrote:

Signed,

Okay, my wording wasn't the best. The point was that more people know the latest "American Idol" winner than know who their Congresscritter or Senators are, let alone major Cabinet secretaries.

I suppose that if you're listening to the bloviating, self-aggrandizing radio and TV hosts, you're assimilating SOME information in this vein. The overall information content may be suspect, but they do usually get the names and titles correct.

tanstaafl2

#22 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:20 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:London Pfahler
Upland, CA$500 -- Teething Tots

London needs to ATA (7)
Spoiler
A. 1%
B. 4%
C. 2%
D. 93%
Answer
D. Milk teeth (6)
Hmm, that can't be a good sign...

$16,000 -- Names in the News

Answer

Commercial break
Yeah, that seems about right.

Seems like a (slightly) kinder and gentler CindyBAM so far, not that many of the cast members are taking advantage.

Mention of Carpenter also reminds me, since Carver was the carry over I presume he loses Carpenter, who seems a decent ATE, for whomever or whatever comes next. It would seem the odds would not be in his favor to get someone equal or better given the usual suspects used as ATE's in the recent past.

Not that he needs it since he is going to win a million dollars!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

guillotine06

#23 Post by guillotine06 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:36 pm

You are a prophet!

secondchance
Possum Hunter!

#24 Post by secondchance » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:16 pm

*Grumpy old lady Alert*

okay, aside from the contestant's aforementioned seeming lack of qualification for the show...

What the heck is that ridiculous display London and other "youngins" do all the time these days? Ya know, the tongue sticking out, along with outstretched fists wagging the forefingers and pinkies? WHAT IS THAT? And, WhY? Does "it" have a name? Another younger contestant did it recently as well on the Regis run, iirc. It just looks so damn stupid!

there. i feel better now.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#25 Post by ulysses5019 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:37 am

secondchance wrote:*Grumpy old lady Alert*

okay, aside from the contestant's aforementioned seeming lack of qualification for the show...

What the heck is that ridiculous display London and other "youngins" do all the time these days? Ya know, the tongue sticking out, along with outstretched fists wagging the forefingers and pinkies? WHAT IS THAT? And, WhY? Does "it" have a name? Another younger contestant did it recently as well on the Regis run, iirc. It just looks so damn stupid!

there. i feel better now.

Well...you've heard of "jazz hands"...this is "rock hands".
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.