Transcript 09/08/2009 Karen Geddeis

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 09/08/2009 Karen Geddeis

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:02 pm

Commercial break

Karen Geddeis
Elmhurst, IL

PR director and "workaholic"

Topic Tree
On the House
Time Magazine
Papa
Myth Informed
Water Coloring
Native Cultures
Face Time
What a Pain!
Nicknames
Late Greats
Sarah Palin
Yummy!
It's Unreal
Short Form
On the Street

$100 (On the Street):
What U.S. president shares his first name with a furry blue monster from "Sesame Street"?
A. James Madison B. Grover Cleveland
C. Bill Clinton D. Franklin Elmo Roosevelt
Spoiler
B. Grover Cleveland (:06)

$200 (Short Form):
An abbreviation familiar to frequent fliers, "ETD stands for "estimated time of" what?
A. Dining B. Drag
C. Departure D. Decompression
Spoiler
C. Departure (:10)

$300 (It's Unreal):
Which of these TV shows did not appear in the 2009 "Entertainment Weekly list of the "Best Reality Shows Ever"?
A. The Apprentice B. The Real World
C. The Bachelor D. The X-Files
Spoiler
D. The X-Files (:09)

$500 (Yummy!):
Devil's food cake is a sinfully dark dessert item with what flavor?
A. Chocolate B. Cherry
C. Coffee D. Cinnamon
Spoiler
A. Chocolate (:10)

$1000 (Sarah Palin):
During the 2008 presidential race, Sarah Palin was widely teased in the press for overusing what word to refer to John McCain?
A. Trailblazer B. Maverick
C. Pioneer D. Pathfinder

ATA at :09
ATA
A-2% B-92% C-2% D-4%
Spoiler
B. Maverick (:07)

$2000 (Late Greats):
World-renowned musician Bo Diddley was best known for playing the what?
A. Piano B. Guitar
C. Saxophone D. Trumpet

PAF (:19)
choices her husband Pete from Elmhurst IL (Mere first said her friend)
Dr. Lynn, Elmhurst, IL
friend Gayle Chicago, IL

PAF Pete
PAF
Pete-100% sure Guitar
Spoiler
B. Guitar (:17)
Commercial break

$4000 (Nicknames):
On Wall Street, financiers with particular power and influence have what nickname, which they share with a popular 1980s toy line?
A. Transformers B. G.I. Joes
C. ThunderCats D. Masters of the Universe

Ask the Expert (:17)
ATE
John Carpenter is confident it is Masters of the Universe and mentioned that he remembers it from Bonfire of the Vanities.
Spoiler
D. Masters of the Universe (:14)

$8000 (What a Pain!):
A person who tears his AC, or Acromioclavicular ligament, is commonly said to have separated his what?
A. Wrist B. Knee
C. Shoulder D. Jaw

DD (:19)
Spoiler
Correct on first try

C. Shoulder (:19)
$16K (Face Time):
After a 2009 site redesign, Facebook users are prompted by what question to give "status updates"?
A. What's on your mind? B. How's it going?
C. What's new? D. How have you been?
Spoiler
A. What's on your mind? (:20)
Karen says she is a Facebook user
Commercial break

During the break, they do a promo to preview a question from tomorrow's show. They do not show a dollar value but do show a :30 clock.
question from tomorrow
In May 2009, the U.S. Postal Service raised the price of a first class stamp two cents, to what?
A. 40 cents B. 44 cents
C. 48 cents D. 50 cents
Spoiler
They did not give the answer which was B

$25K (Native Cultures):
In American Indian culture, a calumet is designed to be what?
A. Used in hunting B. Smoked
C. Worn D. Slept in

Spoiler
B. Smoked
Walk - $16,000

themanwho

Re: Transcript 09/08/2009 Karen Geddeis

#2 Post by themanwho » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:13 pm

Phone game: ( http://www.pioneerlocal.com/elmhurst/ne ... s1.article ) . She may indeed be the first phone-game qualifier on Meredith's Millionaire. (Kazia MacLeod's method of qualifying is proving elusive.)

As far as that last question goes,
Spoiler
growing up near Pipestone, Minnesota, and its semi-famous Calumet hotel and restaurant
has its advantages.

-M
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#3 Post by Estonut » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:34 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$8000 (What a Pain!):
A person who tears his AC, or Acromioclavicular ligament, is commonly said to have separated his what?
A. Wrist B. Knee
C. Shoulder D. Jaw

Spoiler
Correct on first try

Including the medical terminology makes this is a rather nasty question, as I'll bet there are people who know that there is an AC (Anterior Cruciate) ligament in the knee without knowing what the abbreviation ACL represents.

On the other hand, I've never heard of any of the other 3 joints as being "separated."
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:27 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1000 (Sarah Palin):
During the 2008 presidential race, Sarah Palin was widely teased in the press for overusing what word to refer to John McCain?
C. Pioneer D. Pathfinder
E. Grampy

$4K: No clue on this one. I would also ask John Carpenter, as this question sounds like something in his field of expertise.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K (Face Time):
After a 2009 site redesign, Facebook users are prompted by what question to give "status updates"?
A. What's on your mind? B. How's it going?
C. What's new? D. How have you been?
Good thing I got my own Facebook account a couple of months ago or else I wouldn't have known this.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:During the break, they do a promo to preview a question from tomorrow's show. They do not show a dollar value but do show a :30 clock.
This does nothing for me.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K (Native Cultures):
C. Worn D. Slept in
It pays to be part Native American. I knew immediately that a calumet is a type of pipe.

earendel

#5 Post by earendel » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:22 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Karen Geddeis
Elmhurst, IL
PR director and "workaholic"
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$300 (It's Unreal):
Which of these TV shows did not appear in the 2009 "Entertainment Weekly list of the "Best Reality Shows Ever"?
A. The Apprentice B. The Real World
C. The Bachelor D. The X-Files
Spoiler
D. The X-Files (:09)
You mean "The X-Files" isn't real?" :o
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 (Yummy!):
Devil's food cake is a sinfully dark dessert item with what flavor?
A. Chocolate B. Cherry
C. Coffee D. Cinnamon
Spoiler
A. Chocolate (:10)
E - Brimstone :mrgreen:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1000 (Sarah Palin):
C. Pioneer D. Pathfinder

ATA at :09
ATA
A-2% B-92% C-2% D-4%
Spoiler
B. Maverick (:07)
How soon they forget.
A. Wrist B. Knee
C. Shoulder D. Jaw

Spoiler
Correct on first try

The only one of the four that I ever hear about "separating" is the shoulder. Sam Bradford knows about this first-hand, unfortunately.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K (Native Cultures):
C. Worn D. Slept in
Spoiler
B. Smoked
Walk - $16,000
In Oklahoma (and probably elsewhere) Calumet is a brand of baking powder. It comes in a red can with a black silhouette of a Native American in tribal headdress. Of course that doesn't help one bit with this question (it's a good thing that "cooking" wasn't included as one of the choices). I have no idea, and I don't think the audience will, either. I'm hoping this is an easily Googlable question, so it's time to PAF.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:28 am

earendel wrote:In Oklahoma (and probably elsewhere) Calumet is a brand of baking powder. It comes in a red can with a black silhouette of a Native American in tribal headdress. Of course that doesn't help one bit with this question (it's a good thing that "cooking" wasn't included as one of the choices). I have no idea, and I don't think the audience will, either. I'm hoping this is an easily Googlable question, so it's time to PAF.
That's the brand I buy. It was named after Calumet City, Illinois by its founder who later started Calumet Farm in Kentucky to breed thoroughbreds.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:33 am

earendel wrote:In Oklahoma (and probably elsewhere) Calumet is a brand of baking powder. It comes in a red can with a black silhouette of a Native American in tribal headdress.
My mother has a can of Calumet baking powder in one of her cupboards right now. It's the same can that she's had since 1991, but it's there.

themanwho

#8 Post by themanwho » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:46 am

Estonut wrote:
A. Wrist B. Knee
C. Shoulder D. Jaw

Spoiler
Correct on first try

Including the medical terminology makes this is a rather nasty question, ...snip...
Disagree. Without the
Spoiler
"clavicular"
part of the term, I'd have been lost.

Edited to add: Actually, I semi-agree, since with just "tears his AC", I'd have thought ACL and gone for knee.

-M
Last edited by themanwho on Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I will win BIG on a game show this coming year!" - since gsabc isn't using it any more.

MarleysGh0st

#9 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:46 am

themanwho wrote:Phone game: ( http://www.pioneerlocal.com/elmhurst/ne ... s1.article ) . She may indeed be the first phone-game qualifier on Meredith's Millionaire. (Kazia MacLeod's method of qualifying is proving elusive.)
Congratulations to Karen for making history, then, as unnoted as TPTB let the occasion be.

From the article:
The process started off simple enough, with her husband's lifelong dream to be a contestant on the show fueling her interest in being cast. He would call once a day, answering the five fastest finger questions in hopes of qualifying, but seemed to always get hung up on the last question.

Geddeis said she then decided to give a try, and after two calls had answered the questions right and was told that if she was selected, she would receive a phone call from one of the producers.

That phone call came at 4 p.m. July 20 while attending an Elmhurst Youth Commission Meeting.

"I had already written it off (thinking) everyone in New York is gone," she said.
Heh. It was her husband's dream to get on the show and she beats him out on the Phone Game!

Since she was on the last taping day, her callback should have been July 21, not July 20. And that 4 pm call (5 pm ET) came before the call that T-Bone got, yet she was put on the episode after his! This is more evidence that TPTB exercised some subjective decision-making about who would be placed in that lucky, final ROF. :|

earendel

#10 Post by earendel » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:49 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
themanwho wrote:Phone game: ( http://www.pioneerlocal.com/elmhurst/ne ... s1.article ) . She may indeed be the first phone-game qualifier on Meredith's Millionaire. (Kazia MacLeod's method of qualifying is proving elusive.)
Congratulations to Karen for making history, then, as unnoted as TPTB let the occasion be.

From the article:
The process started off simple enough, with her husband's lifelong dream to be a contestant on the show fueling her interest in being cast. He would call once a day, answering the five fastest finger questions in hopes of qualifying, but seemed to always get hung up on the last question.

Geddeis said she then decided to give a try, and after two calls had answered the questions right and was told that if she was selected, she would receive a phone call from one of the producers.

That phone call came at 4 p.m. July 20 while attending an Elmhurst Youth Commission Meeting.

"I had already written it off (thinking) everyone in New York is gone," she said.
Heh. It was her husband's dream to get on the show and she beats him out on the Phone Game!

Since she was on the last taping day, her callback should have been July 21, not July 20. And that 4 pm call (5 pm ET) came before the call that T-Bone got, yet she was put on the episode after his! This is more evidence that TPTB exercised some subjective decision-making about who would be placed in that lucky, final ROF. :|
Which, of course, means that they knew well in advance that this was going to happen. Not that that's any surprise - I never thought that Meredith spontaneously offered the ROFers spots on CindyBAM.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

MarleysGh0st

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:56 am

Oh, they definitely had to have planned that stunt in advance. It perfectly explains why they had scheduled that single day of SyndieBAM taping following the last prime time taping, when the next day wasn't scheduled until September!

MarleysGh0st

#12 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:19 am

Here's an article about Karen's appearance. (This batch of ROFers/Hot Seaters are getting a lot of press!)

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/elmhurst/ ... ets-16-000

MarleysGh0st

#13 Post by MarleysGh0st » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:22 am

And another article about Karen!

http://www.triblocal.com/Glen_Ellyn/Lis ... b_id=96350
“I loved Meredith [Vieira],” Karen Geddeis said. “Not only is she stunningly beautiful, she exudes this sweetness and comfort. She had the best shoes in the world on—a pair of Christian Louboutin, black patent leather heals that I loved.
What? Not Manolos? :P

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#14 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:35 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:And another article about Karen!

http://www.triblocal.com/Glen_Ellyn/Lis ... b_id=96350
“I loved Meredith [Vieira],” Karen Geddeis said. “Not only is she stunningly beautiful, she exudes this sweetness and comfort. She had the best shoes in the world on—a pair of Christian Louboutin, black patent leather heals that I loved.
What? Not Manolos? :P
Heals? I wouldn't wear heals unless they were made by Johnson & Johnson.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:36 pm

Estonut wrote:
A. Wrist B. Knee
C. Shoulder D. Jaw

Spoiler
Correct on first try

Including the medical terminology makes this is a rather nasty question, as I'll bet there are people who know that there is an AC (Anterior Cruciate) ligament in the knee without knowing what the abbreviation ACL represents.

On the other hand, I've never heard of any of the other 3 joints as being "separated."
I think that many people know that the collarbone is the clavicle.

I'm surprised that no one has commented that there are no correct answers to the $100 question. President Cleveland's first name was Steven. Grover was his middle name. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#16 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:07 pm

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:
earendel wrote:In Oklahoma (and probably elsewhere) Calumet is a brand of baking powder. It comes in a red can with a black silhouette of a Native American in tribal headdress.
My mother has a can of Calumet baking powder in one of her cupboards right now. It's the same can that she's had since 1991, but it's there.
This made me laugh because....

About a week ago, I was chatting with some friends from grade school about our annual neighborhood reunion.

We got talking about nuns and things we had to do for school. One of them mentioned our "geography of the neighborhood project."

We broke up into teams and looked up topographies, street name origins, etc.

One friend lived at the other end of the parish and did part of her report on East Falls, the neighborhood next to ours. Since our basketball team practices at the rec center in East Falls, we had a connection.

One of the streets she picked was Calumet Street -- her newlywed sister and my newlywed cousin had just moved on the street, which is why she picked it. Her sister still lives there.

I completely forgot about all of this until she mentioned it. And then it shows up in a question.

Had I been in the Hot Seat, I might not have remembered because I would have taped before this conversation.