Transcript 12/14/2007 - Grace Riley

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 12/14/2007 - Grace Riley

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:36 pm

Grace Riley
Fayetteville, AR
Student

Meredith says that Grace was "made for the show". She's been preparing for this since in the womb. Her mother played Trivial Pursuit with her father while she was in labor for three days. Grace has always been good with trivia; the happiest day of her mother's life was the day she beat her father and Grace's father in the same game of Trivial Pursuit.

$100 - According to a familiar saying, which of the following "spoil the broth"?

A - too many doctors
B - too many cooks
C - too many teachers
D - too many trans fats

$200 - The Thanksgiving cactus traditionally blooms in what month?

A - July
B - May
C - August
D - November

$300 - Also known as the "extra point," the PAT or "point after touchdown" is a unit of scoring in what sport?

A - football
B - baseball
C - basketball
D - hockey

Grace would be absolutely mortified if she missed this one. She's a sideline photographer for the University of Arkansas football team.

$500 - "Discover What Your Lips Are Missing" is the trademarked slogan of what drugstore brand?

A - Rogaine
B - Vizine
C - Blistex
D - Preparation H

$1K - The word "semester" derives from a Latin word meaning what?

A - one week
B - six months
C - one year
D - six weeks

Grace says "six months", but in a hesitant tone. Meredith asks, "Final answer?" to which Grace replies, "Give me a moment. It's the $1000 question so it wouldn't be something totally random. She makes "B" her final answer.

$2K - Which of these cartoon catchphrases is typically associated with a feline character?

A - What's up, doc?
B - I yam what I yam.
C - Sufferin' succotash
D - Yabba dabba doo

Grace says that "Sufferin' succotash" is associated with Sylvester, the arch-nemesis of Tweety bird, and is a black and white cat. A cat is a feline, so Grace makes "C" her final answer.

$4K - A hematologist would most likely treat someone suffering from which of these ailments?

A - anemia
B - bone spurs
C - eczema
D - glaucoma

Grace says that anemia has to do with blood so hematologists deal with someone who has anemia.

Commercial break

Grace is a photojournalist who takes photos of the various university teams and she has the scars to prove it. Two years ago the football team was playing LSU and she took a ball to the face, and another time she got a cleat in the shoulder. Meredith asks if they stop the game when that happens. Grace said no because she's just a person on the sidelines.

$8K - Which of these movies depicts an American armed conflict that occurred most recently?

A - Jarhead
B - Platoon
C - Windtalkers
D - Flags of Our Fathers

Grace knows that "Flags of Our Fathers" was World War II and "Platoon" was Vietnam (mabye "ish"). She skips Windtalkers and goes on to A and says that it was about the first Gulf conflict, when she was a little kid. She can't imagine Windtalkers being any more recent than that. Grace asks Meredith to blink once for "A" and twice for "B". Meredith blinks many times. Grace makes "A" her final answer. Meredith indicates Grace is right by blinking once.

$16K - Traditiionally, a croque-monsieur sandwich served with an egg on top is called a what?

A - croque-oeuf
B - croque-confit
C - croque-garcon
D - croque-madame

Grace asks for the 50/50, which leaves B and D. She's glad she did that. She remembers that "oeuf" is "egg" (one of six words she remembers from French class). "Croque-madame" sounds like an actual thing while "croque-oeuf" didn't, so she makes "D" her final answer.

Commercial break

$25K - In 2007, what country's president claimed discrimination when FIFA banned international soccer matches above an altitude of 8,200 feet?

A - South Africa
B - Greece
C - Bolivia
D - Pakistan

Meredith says, "Humpf" and Grace says, "Exactly." Grace says this is her worst nightmare to get a sports question and not know it. She wants to think it out. It's really just a geography question. Meredith asks if Grace knows geography; Grace answers, "I like to think so. I can find Arkansas." Meredith reminds Grace of her lifelines and Grace decides to ask the audience.

ATA results:

A - 7%
B - 13%
C - 65%
D - 15%

Grace says that's a good number assuming it's correct. If not, it's deceptive and rude. She said to the audience when they walked in that they were very attractive and intelligent and they evidently feel confident. Bolivia was one of the two she had it narrowed down to. She makes that her final answer. Meredith pulls the fake-out by starting out, "No, they were not...deceptive."

THE HORN!!!!!

ANSWERS:

$100 - B (too many cooks)
$200 - D (November)
$300 - A (football)
$500 - C (Blistex)
$1K - B (six months)
$2K - C (Sufferin' succotash)
$4K - A (anemia)
$8K - A (Jarhead)
$16K - D (croque-madame)
$25K - C (Bolivia)

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:04 pm

She's good. She's thinking through her answers and pausing long enough to make sure she doesn't accidentally blurt something out. I hope she goes very far. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

earendel

Re: Transcript 12/14/2007 - Grace Riley

#3 Post by earendel » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:36 pm

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Grace Riley
Fayetteville, AR
Student

Meredith says that Grace was "made for the show". She's been preparing for this since in the womb. Her mother played Trivial Pursuit with her father while she was in labor for three days. Grace has always been good with trivia; the happiest day of her mother's life was the day she beat her father and Grace's father in the same game of Trivial Pursuit.
Uh, oh, cue the ominous organ music. This is seldom a good sign.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$500 - "Discover What Your Lips Are Missing" is the trademarked slogan of what drugstore brand?

A - Rogaine
B - Vizine
C - Blistex
D - Preparation H
I ROFL'ed when I heard the last choice.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$1K - The word "semester" derives from a Latin word meaning what?

A - one week
B - six months
C - one year
D - six weeks

Grace says "six months", but in a hesitant tone. Meredith asks, "Final answer?" to which Grace replies, "Give me a moment. It's the $1000 question so it wouldn't be something totally random. She makes "B" her final answer.
Never assume, Grace. But it's a pretty safe assumption. This shows Grace is a student of the game, always a good sign in a contestant. Maybe the ominous organ music was cued too soon.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Traditiionally, a croque-monsieur sandwich served with an egg on top is called a what?

A - croque-oeuf
B - croque-confit
C - croque-garcon
D - croque-madame

Grace asks for the 50/50, which leaves B and D. She's glad she did that. She remembers that "oeuf" is "egg" (one of six words she remembers from French class). "Croque-madame" sounds like an actual thing while "croque-oeuf" didn't, so she makes "D" her final answer.
I thought this was a waste of a lifeline - I'd have gone with "A" without hesitation since I, lilke Grace, knew that "oeuf" was "egg". I would have had egg on my face when I left the Hot Seat with only $1K.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In 2007, what country's president claimed discrimination when FIFA banned international soccer matches above an altitude of 8,200 feet?

A - South Africa
B - Greece
C - Bolivia
D - Pakistan

Meredith says, "Humpf" and Grace says, "Exactly." Grace says this is her worst nightmare to get a sports question and not know it. She wants to think it out. It's really just a geography question. Meredith asks if Grace knows geography; Grace answers, "I like to think so. I can find Arkansas." Meredith reminds Grace of her lifelines and Grace decides to ask the audience.
Excellent analysis, Grace! She discarded the fluff and grasped the heart of the question. She's good, and she might go much farther.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:ATA results:

A - 7%
B - 13%
C - 65%
D - 15%

Grace says that's a good number assuming it's correct. If not, it's deceptive and rude. She said to the audience when they walked in that they were very attractive and intelligent and they evidently feel confident. Bolivia was one of the two she had it narrowed down to. She makes that her final answer. Meredith pulls the fake-out by starting out, "No, they were not...deceptive."
I'm surprised that the audience voted as strongly as it did for Bolivia - I thought Pakistan would have a stronger second-place showing.

Grace has a great run so far and I hope she continues it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

NellyLunatic1980

#4 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:07 pm

$16K: There's egg on my face as well. I also recognized "oeuf" as the French word for egg, locked in A, and crashed. Now that I think about it, croque-madame does make more sense, as "madame" is the opposite of "monsieur".

Appa23

#5 Post by Appa23 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 pm

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Grace Riley
Fayetteville, AR
Student

Uh, oh, cue the ominous organ music. This is seldom a good sign.

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$25K - In 2007, what country's president claimed discrimination when FIFA banned international soccer matches above an altitude of 8,200 feet?

A - South Africa
B - Greece
C - Bolivia
D - Pakistan

Excellent analysis, Grace! She discarded the fluff and grasped the heart of the question. She's good, and she might go much farther.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:ATA results:

A - 7%
B - 13%
C - 65%
D - 15%

I'm surprised that the audience voted as strongly as it did for Bolivia - I thought Pakistan would have a stronger second-place showing.

I credit the audience knowing that South American countries are good at soccer, and Pakistan . . . not so much.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:34 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Grace Riley
Fayetteville, AR
Student

So, after these two stories, why isn't her mother the contestant?

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$16K - Traditiionally, a croque-monsieur sandwich served with an egg on top is called a what?

A - croque-oeuf
B - croque-confit
C - croque-garcon
D - croque-madame

So, what is a croque-monsieur? Does anyone make that here in the USA or is it strictly a French dish? Adding "oeuf" as one of the choices made it a wicked distractor, for anyone who remembered some French.

ghostjmf

#7 Post by ghostjmf » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:41 pm

2K: Only got it by eliminating the other characters' sayings; I remember "I taught I taw a putty tat" but not this saying

16K: they had the sammitch on before & I still can't recall it; 50/50 to rule out "oeff", but hope it doesn't leave me with both garcon & madame; madame is more a "fit"

25K: boy is this one a giveaway