Phone-A-Friend sign-up list

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Phone-A-Friend sign-up list

#101 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:31 pm

The calls start going out today and the tape dates will be here fast. Figured we ought to go ahead and start a list of potential phone-a-friends for if (WHEN!) anyone here gets called.

Put your name below if you are willing and available to be a phone-a-friend on any of the tape dates. I won't be at work the last week of July so I should be available for any of those tape dates. The first week of August I'll be back to work which would make it riskier for my availability, though I haven't researched the taping times so I might still be able to be work something out.

Gathered the information into a day-by-day format:

July 29

TheSearchIsOn
EugeneF
Jeemie
hanzz
booboola
clem21
goongas
earendel
MarleysGh0st
thealexdavis
Bob78164
colonial (JD)
chad1m
DadofTwins
kayak

July 30

TheSearchIsOn
EugeneF
Jeemie
hanzz
booboola
clem21
goongas
earendel
MarleysGh0st
thealexdavis
Bob78164
colonial (JD)
chad1m
DadofTwins
kayak

July 31

TheSearchIsOn
EugeneF
Jeemie
hanzz
booboola
clem21
goongas
MarleysGh0st
thealexdavis
Bob78164
colonial (JD)
chad1m
DadofTwins
kayak

August 3

EugeneF
Jeemie
hanzz
booboola
clem21
goongas
Bob78164
colonial (JD)
traininvain
chad1m
trevor_macfee

August 4

EugeneF
Jeemie
hanzz
booboola
clem21
goongas
Bob78164
colonial (JD)
traininvain
chad1m
DadofTwins

August 5

EugeneF
Jeemie
hanzz
booboola
clem21
goongas
Bob78164
colonial (JD)
traininvain
chad1m
DadofTwins

Here are some of the strengths/weaknesses of the above mentioned people:

TheSearchIsOn - $64,000 winner on PT WWTBAM and million-point winner at PlayIt!

thealexdavis - I'm available and more than happy to help as well. Good with basically all pop culture and nearly anything
movies/music/tv related. Know a lot of sports as well. Quick Googler also. Just let me know.

EugeneF - I am available for any of the days, and I wish that the show would let me do it everyday.
My fields of knowledge include history, literature, movies, opera, politics, religion, theater, art, etymology.
Oh what the Hell, just don't ask me sports or contemporary music (rap, grudge--anything since 1980).
As for my battlefield experience, I was on the OTHER gameshow, being a five-time winner (when that was the
limit) and finishing third in my Tournament of Champions. In a special tournment, I was the first human being to
beat Frank Spangenberg.
I also have been a phone-a-friend, and answered a $125,000 question.

Jeemie - Depending on the times of the tape dates, I am available for all the days.
Specialties are science, history, sports, and fast Googling.
1979 City of Champions 2009

hanzz - My credentials:
2004 Florida State Geography Be Champion (yes, one of those purple shirt kids)
2005 Florida AAA Travel High School Challenge Champion (travel geography)
2007 ditto (placed 5th nationally)
2009 Southern Adventist University College Bowl Champion (team captain)
Oh, and I'm good with Google and have a Wikipedia account.
Academy Awards buff
Spread of movies and TV and pop culture especially of this decade.
The Bible

booboola - My area of expertise is movies. TV was well. I'm full of pop culture info.

clem21 - I'm really good with History, Geography, Current Events Sports and all the Pop Culture that whippersnappers
know about the world of music and movies. I can google too.

Bob78164 -- Looks like one of my two slots this season is taken. Like many others here, I'd be more than happy to serve in that capacity. I've been on 23 PAF lists (soon to be 24) and have been called four times, most recently for Brianne Sherman's $250,000 question (where I was able to eliminate two of the four choices, allowing her to use her Double Dip). I perform PAF duties from my office, where I have a high-speed Internet connection, and I'm not afraid to use it. I'm available for practice sessions.

I have a fairly wide variety of strengths. I'm a 2-day Jeopardy! champion and when Disney's California Adventure was running the Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Play It! attraction, twice successfully answered the million-point question from the Hot Seat.

My undergraduate degree is from Caltech. I'm an attorney, generally doing litigation of patent and other high-technology issues. I am rather well versed in government and politics and am fairly good at geography. My vocabulary is very good. I have a decent ability to work out answers from foreign roots. I am relatively weak in popular music and fine arts. I have a more thorough self-assessment of my strengths and weaknesses available via e-mail in the form of Bixby's PAF topic list.

earendel - science, math, geography, history, religion (Master of Divinity degree) and generic trivia; specialty knowledge in fantasy and science fiction literature

colonial - Qualifications:
$64,000 winner on Regis WWTBAM in 2001.
On the PAF list for five contestants (three for Regis BAM, one for Super BAM, one for Meredith BAM). Was selected as the PAF for a contestant in 1999 -- won said contestant $16,000.
Former contestant on ESPN's 2-Minute Drill (won $5,000); former "Mobster" on 1 vs. 100.
Former high school and college quiz bowl player -- 3-time College Bowl Regional champion; co-founder of a popular culture-based trivia game for college students and alum.
Strengths:
Work in a newsroom -- depending on the time of the taping, I may be in the newsroom, and could get people around me to help. I could also get my wife to help out, as she's strong in some offbeat subjects (cooking, "Hints from Heloise"-style questions, elementary education (5th Grader-like questions -- she's a first-grade teacher), and daytime soap operas).
Quick Googler/typist
Strong categories: popular culture (TV/movies/music), sports, current events, history, politics, geography, best sellers, classic lit
Weak categories: science, hardcore Internet/WWW stuff.

traininvain - Popular music (up until around 2001)
Some film
Sports (mainly the Yankees)
And a smattering of other things.

chad1m - I'm young, quick with a keyboard and knowledgeable with Google codes so if you boil down the question to its most basic form, I'm sure I can get you the answer. I was quiz bowl captain for my high school three years, I've coached middle school quiz bowl for five years and was voted first team all-league in my senior year. I'm strong in just general trivia with a heck of a specialty in pop culture (modern, more specifically).

trevor_macfee - Monday's my day off so I'm available if anyone gets the call for either 8/3 show. All the stuff I studied for the J! TOC a few months ago is pretty much still rattling around in my brain. Let me know if I can help.

DadofTwins - I'm most likely to be right off the top of my head in Bible, sports (especially rules questions), U. S. history (especially Presidents), geography, and what I've picked up as a heart patient. I am also a part-time ChaCha Guide, so my Google-Fu is pretty strong. I'm no good at visual and performing arts, food, or literature post-1945.
On another network I'm the quizmaster of the Summer Hiatus Challenge. I was smashed to bits by Ken Jennings in November, 2004, having learned my left from my right since that tape day. I was also on Frogman's first-day PAF list.
That said, if you have a choice between me, Schliemann, or EugeneF, go with one of them. I may write the SHC, but those guys pwn it.
I'll be going out of town next week, so I won't be available for practice until Tuesday, July 28.

kayak - Strengths: History, esp. US, Geography, esp. bodies of water (!), Sciences, TV. Weaknesses: Cannot Google, Arts, Music, that intersection/Dreaded Opera, and current pop culture. Oh, the best strength - very flexible schedule for show or practice! But seriously, I haven't been paying attention lately, so you can do better.

Others that may be available depending on schedules:

sunflower - I am a Google master.

Schliemann - i'm willing and able to be a phone a friend if needed.
i'm good on most things (geography, history, arts, sciences, social sciences, current events, sports,
whatever). if its a tv question from before the 90's don't call me.
i'm a two-time champion of the summer hiatus challenge on the sony jeopardy board.
i'm relatively young, i can handle stuff like current popular music and popular culture (i have no shame).
let me know how i can help.....just pm me. my schedule is pretty flexible i can work something out for
most days.

Weyoun - I leave for Greece July 31, but I am can be a PAF if needed. I'm 3 for 3 lifetime at PAFs, and have some
experience on the show myself.

ulysses5019 - I know everything that wintergreen doesn't. I'm usually sleeping when the phone rings.

moonie - I know my soccer really well. I also should know most medical terms and health-related topics, sports, geography and music are also strong areas. I do not know exotic foods, Shakespeare or rap artists. I am not young, but Im not old either. I'll make every nanosecond of the phone call important. Would have a fast connection intact.

And the taping schedule, as provided by MarleysGh0st:

Here's the schedule that was copied from the ticket request page:
July 29th 2:45pm
July 30th 12:15pm
July 30th 3:00pm
July 31st 12:15pm
July 31st 3:00pm

August 3rd 12:15pm
August 3rd 3:00pm
August 4th 12:15pm
August 4th 3:00pm
August 5th 12:15pm
August 5th 3:00pm

The second episode of each day should probably be completed between 5 and 6.

I presume PAFs will also need to be available for a morning briefing call.

Incidentally, they don't have the July 29th date listed on the tickets page any more (booked, I presume) but they do have July 28th at 1:30 pm. That's probably a rehearsal session.
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

TheSearchIsOn

#102 Post by TheSearchIsOn » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:24 pm

My strengths include pop culture, TV, music, Disney, cartoons, and comic books. Also good with math and science.

Weaker in geography, history, art, politics, and religion.

Achilles heel: sports
President, Big Taste Nation

drew scheeler

#103 Post by drew scheeler » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm good at everything except for Sports.

I have million-dollar knowledge in US History (both political and social), theatre, french, alternative music, economics and current events. I am willing to guarantee 100% that I can answer any question you throw at me that relates to Disney.

My google skills are also impeccable. I have experience doing things under pressure and have mock PAF experience.

I have J! experience and will eventually have WWTBAM also.

ETA: I'm good for the 16th taping, but probably not the 27th
www.facebook.com/drewscheeler
2008 Jeopardy! Teen Tournament contestant
"Don't be juvenile for these delinquents!" ~ Trebek.