Transcript 5/22/2009 - Mary Ladick

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 5/22/2009 - Mary Ladick

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Sun May 24, 2009 10:31 pm

Mary Ladick
Manchester, NH
Chiropractor

Mary is about to get married and hopes to win some quick cash for her honeymoon. Her fiance Nate is in the relationhship seat. They're getting married August 15. There are a lot of costs involved in planning a wedding.

Topic Tree:
- It's Been Decades!
- Can I Quote You?
- Ad Age
- Far and Wide
- Founding Fathers
- Classical Music
- Movie Quotables
- Great White North
- Dirty Water
- Exodus
- Ransom Eli Olds
- On the List
- The Small Screen
- Animal Kingdom
- The Sky's the Limit

$100 - The magazine "Sky & Telescope" bills itself as "The Essential Magazine of" what?
A - astronomy
B - chemisry
C - knitting
D - dorking out
Spoiler
A - astronomy (7)
$200 - Which of these creatures is named for the fact that it has black spots all over its body?
A - horse fly
B - zebra fish
C - tiger shark
D - leopard seal
Spoiler
D - leopard seal (9)
$300 - Which of these TV series takes its name from items of clothing often worn by its main characters?
A - Damages
B - Scrubs
C - Heroes
D - Bones
Spoiler
B - Scrubs (10)
$500 - Similar to a "to-do list," a "honey-do list" is a set of tasks usually meant to be completed by whom?
A - your spouse
B - your sister
C - your child
D - your mother

Mary says "Nick, I hope you're watching this."
Spoiler
A - your spouse (7)
$1000 - In the early twentieth century, Detroit businessman Ransom Eli Olds became famous for mass-producing what?
A - rifles
B - cars
C - sewing machines
D - typewriters
Spoiler
B - cars (10)
Mary has won the Ask the Expert lifeline; today's lifeline is former $500K winner Ogi Ogas.

$2000 - The Jewish holiday Passover celebrates the exodus of the Israelites from where?
A - Israel
B - Galilee
C - Egypt
D - Persia

Mary doesn't hesitate to use her first lifeline and ask the audience. The clock stops with 23 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 6%
B - 1%
C - 90%
D - 3%
Mary goes with the audience's answer.
Spoiler
C - Egypt (20)
$4000 - Featuring the line "Down by the banks of the river Charles," the song "Dirty Water" repeatedly mentions what U.S. city?
A - Boston
B - Chicago
C - San Diego
D - Houston

Mary doesn't know this and decides to ask the expert, stopping the clock with 19 seconds remaining.
ATE results
"That didn't take long," Ogi says as he comes on the line. Meredith replies that she'll be very surprised if he doesn't get it. Ogi says it's definitely A, his home town.
Spoiler
A - Boston (17)
commercial break

$8000 - Which of these U.S. holidays falls on the same day as Canada's Thanksgiving?
A - Veterans' Day
B - Presidents Day
C - Memorial Day
D - Columbus Day

Mary ponders briefly then decides to use another lifeline and phone a friend, stopping the clock with 16 seconds remaining. On her PAF list are Sue, from Norridgewock, ME; Pat, from Wisconsin Rapids, WI; and Paul, from Port Edwards, WI. Mary opts to call Sue.
PAF results
Mary reads the question and answers, then paraphrases the question. Mary hems and haws and can't come up with an answer before the time runs out.
Meredith reminds Mary that she still has the Double Dip and Mary decides to use it, stopping the clock with 13 seconds remaining.
DD results
Mary's first answer is Columbus Day, and that's the right answer.
Spoiler
D - Columbus Day (13)
"That was hard!" Meredith exclaims.

$16000 - Which of these classic movie quotes was originally spoken by a woman?
A - Shane, come back!
B - Play it, Sam.
C - Hey, Stella!
D - I coulda been a contender.

Mary has no idea so she elects to take her $8K and run.
Spoiler
B - Play it, Sam. (7)

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 5/22/2009 - Mary Ladick

#2 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 25, 2009 5:28 am

Another informal episode of Play to Pay for Your Wedding. Not what I hoped to see while I was in the audience.

Nihil obstat®

earendel

#3 Post by earendel » Mon May 25, 2009 5:41 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Mary Ladick
Manchester, NH
Chiropractor

Mary is about to get married and hopes to win some quick cash for her honeymoon. Her fiance Nate is in the relationhship seat. They're getting married August 15. There are a lot of costs involved in planning a wedding.
There's a difference between wanting some "quick cash" and wanting to be a millionaire. Contestants are beginning to lose sight of this.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $1000 - In the early twentieth century, Detroit businessman Ransom Eli Olds became famous for mass-producing what?
A - rifles
B - cars
C - sewing machines
D - typewriters
Spoiler
B - cars (10)
REO frequently appears in crossword puzzles.
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $2000 - The Jewish holiday Passover celebrates the exodus of the Israelites from where?
A - Israel
B - Galilee
C - Egypt
D - Persia

Mary doesn't hesitate to use her first lifeline and ask the audience. The clock stops with 23 seconds remaining.
ATA results
ATA results:
A - 6%
B - 1%
C - 90%
D - 3%
Mary goes with the audience's answer.
Spoiler
C - Egypt (20)
6% thought it was Israel? Am I the only one who finds this more than a bit bizarre (leaving aside the fact that the contestant didn't know it in the first place)?

Nhiil obstat®.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

tanstaafl2

#4 Post by tanstaafl2 » Mon May 25, 2009 9:47 am

earendel wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote: Mary Ladick
Manchester, NH
Chiropractor

There's a difference between wanting some "quick cash" and wanting to be a millionaire. Contestants are beginning to lose sight of this.
Beginning???? Shirley Ugest!
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...
~tanstaafl2

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
Ne Illegitimi Carborundum
Cumann na gClann Uí Thighearnaigh

Rafferbee

#5 Post by Rafferbee » Mon May 25, 2009 10:20 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:Another informal episode of Play to Pay for Your Wedding. Not what I hoped to see while I was in the audience.

Nihil obstat®
Mary and Nathan were supposed to be on the Wedding Week, but they ran out of time before they got on. They put them in the contestant pool, and called Mary but not Nathan. Oh, snap.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon May 25, 2009 6:48 pm

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Mary and Nathan were supposed to be on the Wedding Week, but they ran out of time before they got on. They put them in the contestant pool, and called Mary but not Nathan. Oh, snap.
Well, they still got to pay for their wedding. $8K worth of it, anyway...

NellyLunatic1980

#7 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:49 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:$4000 - Featuring the line "Down by the banks of the river Charles," the song "Dirty Water" repeatedly mentions what U.S. city?
A - Boston
B - Chicago
C - San Diego
D - Houston

Mary doesn't know this and decides to ask the expert, stopping the clock with 19 seconds remaining.
ATE results
"That didn't take long," Ogi says as he comes on the line. Meredith replies that she'll be very surprised if he doesn't get it. Ogi says it's definitely A, his home town.
Sounded like Meredith gave away the answer there when she said she would be surprised if Ogi got it wrong.

Nihil obstat®

Estonut
Evil Genius

#8 Post by Estonut » Tue May 26, 2009 5:10 am

NellyLunatic1980 wrote:Sounded like Meredith gave away the answer there when she said she would be surprised if Ogi got it wrong.
Wouldn't you recognize the name of the river running through your hometown without the possible hint from Meredith?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

gsabc

#9 Post by gsabc » Tue May 26, 2009 6:15 am

Geez, how can someone from Manchester NH not know "Dirty Water"? One of the easiest stacks I've seen in a while. After taxes, the $8K paid the photographer and the florist. Maybe the DJ, too.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

mrkelley23

#10 Post by mrkelley23 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:21 am

Please tell me she's taking her husband's name.

Having just completed calling all 273 graduating seniors' names at our school, and all the accompanying stress that goes with hoping you don't screw up anybody's name, I'm having trouble coming up with a non-chortle-inducing pronunciation of Ladick.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman